Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minigun Reference Video
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Arethusa
http://media2.big-boys.com/iraqfootage.wmv

Most of it, ironically was shot in Arizona, and I think I saw some footage shot off the back of a Saracen in there. Still, kind of neat for reference purposes. I suggest you mute it, though. The music is retarded.
RangerJoe
Poor Carmina Burana. So good, yet so overused.

Still, snazzy tracers.
DocMortand
Gah...gotta second the mute thing. I like Carmina Burana and all, but that's just...wrong.

BTW, to all you weapons bookninjas - am I imagining that some of the tracers in a particular shot were multicolored? Specifically the one where he's tracing fire across a line of cars. Is there a purpose behind the multi colors of the tracer fire or was that just for coolness?
GlassJaw
The music is retarded.

You mean Metallica's Fight Fire With Fire doesn't inspire you to immediately run to your nearest Army recruiting station and join the military to fire a chain gun? nyahnyah.gif
FrostyNSO
There is some decent stuff here.
Austere Emancipator
Any idea what's the rate of tracers in those? 1-in-5? 1-in-3?

I'm pretty sure nearly all or all of the tracers in that shot were the same color. Either there was one or two red/purple ones on there by accident or it was just a trick of the light. I certainly can't think of any reason to use multi-colored tracers.
Arethusa
I don't think they were using multicolored tracers, but I can definitely see a reason for it if you're just showing off the thing at a convention or whatever. It's flashy, after all.
Weredigo
actually the musics not that bad as long as it's at a low level. and I don't think that's Arizona, too much green stuff on the ground (jk), other then that, Fraggin Cool.
Rock-Steady
That movie is even more fun with the quotes from Full Metal Jacket's doorgunner in mind.
torzzzzz
Sorry if i am putting a damper on this thread, as it was a cool clip. But my partner has just come back form Iraq and we have many close friends over there. I would rather not see people going on about it. Sorry but the whole situation is still fresh in the mind, and it was a very stressful few months!

sorry again frown.gif

torz x *cringe*
Fortune
Um, then just don't read this particular thread. Others may be interested in this type of thing.

And you are not the only person that personally knows someone that is, or was in Iraq. In fact, some of our regular forum members are there, or have been, or will be in the near future.
torzzzzz
Well then you would understand! i just wont look anymore! said i was sorry for the point but i had to make it, not having a go at anyone inparticular just making a point!

torz x smile.gif

Look I know I have a bad case of foot in mouth disease but i cant help it on this point, and i am sorry if i have pissed anyone off, I really do mean it when i say sorry for this!
Arethusa
Torz, read the first post. Almost all of it was demonstration footage shot in Arizona. There's only one shot at the end that may actually have been from Iraq, and nothing's happening in it.

However, had it been footage from Iraq (and let's ignore how horrendously more tasteless the music would have been had that been the case), there is some responsibility we bear as human beings to bear witness to this. And if you're desperate for a reason for that to be on a Shadowrun forum, because there is a casual disregard for life, death, and destruction here that may sometimes be the result of simply not knowing what it looks like, much less what it really is.
DrJest
This looks like a demo video for a manufacturer, right?

The ground-based demo was interesting - the evening shot with the red tracer fire. That seemed to "splatter" off the target; I assume that's because the tracers wouldn't penetrate. Leads to some interesting concerns about what happens to the rounds when a bunch of runners unleash hails of lead at armoured vehicles.
Austere Emancipator
I think it's more likely it's just several clips someone put together because he though they looked cool. Manufacturers tend to show off their products in a different way, even in the defense industry -- plus there's not much point for the maker of those miniguns to show off their product when the single potential customer has had a lot of them for a long time.

Fast, not particularly hard bullet hitting a hard target at extremely high velocity = bullet blows up into pieces, which scatter all around. Those bullet fragments can certainly be dangerous if you're standing close to the target, and they'll only get more dangerous when the target happens to be made of steel.

When hitting at an angle, though, most of the mass of the bullet will "skip" off the target in a direction where it's unlikely to cause much damage to anyone or anything hanging around near the target. What makes the whole thing fun in the video is that they're firing tracers, so many of those little fragments are burning, and they're firing them with miniguns, so there's a hell of a lot of them.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Torz, read the first post. Almost all of it was demonstration footage shot in Arizona. There's only one shot at the end that may actually have been from Iraq, and nothing's happening in it.

However, had it been footage from Iraq (and let's ignore how horrendously more tasteless the music would have been had that been the case), there is some responsibility we bear as human beings to bear witness to this. And if you're desperate for a reason for that to be on a Shadowrun forum, because there is a casual disregard for life, death, and destruction here that may sometimes be the result of simply not knowing what it looks like, much less what it really is.

Fair play I missed that,

torz embarrassed.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012