Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mist Form
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Senelif
According to the Critters sourcebook, transitioning into and out of Mist Form is an exclusive complex action. My question is this, does sustaining Mist form require continued exclusive complex actions, or does the NPC in Mist form retain its normal free, simple or complex actions after the transformation is complete?

For example, could a vampire transform into Mist Form, making it immune to normal weapons, and then as a later action, while still in Mist Form, start slinging spells at its helpless victims? If this tactic is in line with rules then I pity the player characters who come in contact with it... This along with the normal vampiric regeneration would make quite a battle.
Capt. Dave
Only the change to/from Mist Form is an Exclusive Complex Action. After the transformation is comlpete, you don't need to keep using a Exclusive Action to sustain it.

Examples: Shapeshifter uses action to shift into animal form.
Mage casts Exclusive Spell, or astrally projects.
Fortune
Can someone actually cast spells while in Mist Form?
tisoz
I'd say they need to astrally perceive, and maybe that would confer sight. Otherwise, no eyes, no LOS.
Senelif
QUOTE (tisoz)
I'd say they need to astrally perceive, and maybe that would confer sight. Otherwise, no eyes, no LOS.

This is an interesting quandary, since when in mist form, the vampire can be mobile, moving around the room, through vents and anywhere else it pleases. If the mist form vampire can be mobile, it must somehow be able to see where it is going, so the natural extension of that would be to somehow acquire LOS. Possibly the sight would be astral perception when in mist form, as a character does not need eyes to astrally perceive, but on the other hand, every vampire has the ability to use Mist Form, but does every vampire have the ability to astrally perceive?
toturi
No, unless they are magicians.
Senelif
QUOTE (toturi)
No, unless they are magicians.

So, you are saying that if a vampire is a magician then it is a correct interpretation of the rules that sorcery is possible in mist form?
toturi
I'm saying that Astral Perception is available to vampire magicians.

With spellcasting, the caster must be able to see the target and must be present on the same plane (astral or astral) as the target.

If in mist form, I'd only allow the vampire to cast only if he is astrally percieving, since it is explicitly stated in the Astral Spellcasting section. Otherwise, the mist cannot see.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (toturi)
Otherwise, the mist cannot see.

So, in your game, mist form entities run into walls and float about in random dumb directions? smile.gif
Edward
Aren’t vampires duel natured anyway. Thus they are always astraly perceiving.

Edward
toturi
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
QUOTE (toturi @ Mar 7 2005, 08:16 PM)
Otherwise, the mist cannot see.

So, in your game, mist form entities run into walls and float about in random dumb directions? smile.gif

Only if a Blind person does that in your games.

Aren’t vampires duel natured anyway. Thus they are always astraly perceiving.

Edward

Check your Critters (it is a free download now, so don't complain you dont have it). Vampires don't have a Z beside their Essense rating. No dual nature. You are thinking 2nd Ed.
Edward
Where are these free downloads I keep hearing about.

Edward
toturi
QUOTE (Edward)
Where are these free downloads I keep hearing about.

Edward
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012