Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powers developed
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
rozark69
Hello all first I have to say I am rather apprehensive about posting at all as reading some of the threads I see you informed people (genralizing) can be very sarcastic and cutting if you think the person you talking to is a dweeb (dweeb:someone beneth your intelligence and station not worth anything but sacasam and cutting remarks.) Now I hope I dont indure simelur treatment but dam reading my own opening to this thread I know I wont escape your wrath but hell this sight is to propose ideas and ask questions so here goes.

With regards to Phisad powers:
Is there a power that can make a weapon return to your hand be it an edged weapon or a gun, now I once asked this question about 3 years ago and everyone If I remember correctly said no or it was not possible, now my view is such If there are powers that can make you jump really really high or fall really really slowly or walk with out leaving footprints or run on water then lifting a weapon to me seems like a power that should of been around before all the afore mentioned. Now I deeply apologise if this power actually does exsist I have been out the scene a while and I am really sorry If I got it wrong as far as Im aware there is no such power, so as there is not (to best of my knowledge.) My question is such why not? if there were what would be its cost I was thinking .25 per level of the power. the level would indicate how far away it would be effective.

Bone or facial sculpt:
a very cool power; few questions, you can change the shape of your face in effect changing what you look like, can you change your teeth into fangs? If you asked me I would say that were easier then hightning or lowering ones cheekbones.

Power idea:
Now we have a power that could change ones colour of hair and ones face is their one that can lengthen finger nails further more is there one that can lengthen and strengthen them so they could be used as weapons? Reasons I think its a good idea, you are an uncybered phisad you are captured all weapons are taken away you can sproute them from your fingers to give you an edge so to speek pardon the pun.

Two Power ideas:
those of you familiar with Vampire will recal two magic powers called Selerity and potency.Does anyone else not think they might be cool in Shadowrun? a power that increases the damage you do (potency) I dont know of any such power in Shadowrun and think it would be cool,

Second a power enabling you to have more combat turns in a round in effect moving much faster (selerity)

My arguments why I think these powers should be developed (once again sorry for making an arse of myself if there is anything like this) is that Phisads are magically enhanced life forms that can run on water or up walls or jump really really high or make their hands glow with fire why then cant they make their damage greater and make themselves have more turns in a round? yes yes improving initutive helps but thats not what I mean.If there are powers like this please inform me and if there is not powers like these a few ideas for costs and levels would be appreciated.

in closing I apologise if I offended any of you with my lack of knowledge but this sight is here to ask,....so I did.

LinaInverse
I don't believe there are any such powers, but I'm not up on the SOTA source books, and I recall that a lot of wacky (even outright contraversial) powers have started showing up for PhysAds, so maybe something like that might be possible.

An alternative to the "Hammer of Thor" idea you have above would be a Weapon Foci, with a custom spell (or just Magic Fingers) either Quickened or Anchored, but those both have limitations (Quickening only would work for the caster and Anchoring has to be reloaded after each activation, not to mention hits the caster w/ Drain when it's fired).
GrinderTheTroll
As mentioned, these don't exist, but you can always create these within your group as long as you can sell the idea to your GM.
rozark69
If you were a GM would you buy the ideas? Or not? and if you were a gm what would you charge for such powers? and do you really disagree with my argument on weapon return?
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (rozark69)
Is there a power that can make a weapon return to your hand be it an edged weapon or a gun

Magic Fingers either quickened or knacked
Bone or facial sculpt:

I thought this was in SOTA64, but I still don't have it yet so I could be wrong
their one that can lengthen finger nails further more is there one that can lengthen and strengthen them so they could be used as weapons?

The nails could be your personal version of Killing Hands
a power that increases the damage you do (potency)

killing hands
Second a power enabling you to have more combat turns in a round in effect moving much faster (selerity)

increased reflexes
Req
I kinda thought Killing Hands did increase your damage, and the reaction-enhancing powers did make you move faster. Or Improved Ability: Athletics, if you meant move faster in terms of running speed.

If you don't mean run speed or number of actions, what the hell are you talking about with your Celerity request?

edit: damn, Herald, you beat me even though I posted 7 minutes earlier. That's dedication, right there.
Kagetenshi
As others have said, there are already powers that do all but the weapon-jumping-to-hand bit, which I'm sure Fortune will be along soon to explain his problems with. Also, what's with the whitespace (greyspace on this board, I guess)?

~J
Rev
I like the luke-skywalker-light-sabre-retreiving-power.

Maybe have the level also be the strength with which the power pulls the weapon, to determine whether you can yank it out of the snow before the snow beast eats you.

Perhaps it should only be able to affect bonded weapon foci (meaning no guns)?
Zolhex
Limited to bladed weapons throw it and recall it cost just cause a through and retrive weapon could be considered powerfull .5 per level add the ability to control it in flight and do multipule strikes make it 1. per level.

Love the idea of the Krull blade in the movie Krull.
Backgammon
Herald has it pretty well summed up.

For potency, Killing hands, but Strenght Boost as well, or both.
hahnsoo
Boomerangs always return to the hand of Physical Adepts with Missile Mastery. They are easier to catch if you have Missile Parry. Target: Awakened Lands, page 107. As far as a thrown or discarded item, it would be easier to just stick a long wire with a hand trigger to pull it back to your hand with a miniature motor. Or have a quickened Magic Fingers spell, or simply just cast Magic Fingers (assuming a Magician's Way adept).

I agree with the assessment that Celerity and Potency are adequately covered under Increased Reflexes (more actions/turn)/Quick Strike (first action in an Initiative pass) and Killing Hands (more damage)/Improved Strength(higher power).

There are some house variants on the adept Killing Hands which basically give the equivalent of Hand Razors and Spurs. They are floating around in some house rule lists on the internet.

As far as facial sculpt, you CAN make fangs (or tusks, for that matter), but they won't be useful for combat (i.e. They'd break off and you'd have one hell of a toothache). It's only useful for the cosmetic purpose of disguise.

As a GM, those are the concepts I'd agree with.
Smiley
Try the Adept Handybook. While most of the powers in there are non-canon and extremely cheesy, you can find the ones you're looking for in there. Or something similar. If not, create them.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 10 2005, 07:03 AM)
As others have said, there are already powers that do all but the weapon-jumping-to-hand bit, which I'm sure Fortune will be along soon to explain his problems with.

nyahnyah.gif biggrin.gif

Missile Mastery grants the ability to have boomerangs return even if they hit their target, which is something they don't do in real life (as hahnsoo said!). Other than that, there isn't any such canon Power. Nor should ther be in my opinion (I think Adepts are supposed to be 'Masters of Self', and not affect their environment in that fashion). You could use unique Foci (with a bound Spirit) to achieve this effect though, as Ancient History describes in his thread on that subject.

Increased Damage (Potency) could be akin to the Attribute Boost: Strength Power combined with Killing Hands, which is cheaper than Improved Attribute: Strength, and is closer to the way things work in V:tM.

Celerity can be simulated with Improved Ability: Athletics, or Improved Ability: Quickness (or Attribute Boost: Quickness), or Improved Reflexes, or any combination of these Powers.

As was said, the hardened fingernails could very well be how that specific Adept expresses his Killing Hands Power.
Critias
Yes, you're very (sarcastically) apologetic about it, but the simple fact is most of your questions are very easily answered by a basic rulebook and a pinch of imagination. Call your Killing Hands "claws" if you really need to. Hell, call your Killing Hands "fangs" if it really floats your boat. Buy some Improved Physical Attribute: Strength, maybe some Attribute Boost: Strength. Ditto with Quickness, couple it with some Increased Reflexes. While you're at it, stock up on some improved Perception or some extra senses (to copy Auspex), buy some of the new social powers from Sota: 64 (since every good World of Darkness vampire has some Presence or Dominate, too, right?), and don't forget some Mystic Armor and improved healing rates in order to copy Fortitude and/or innate vampiric immunity to most weapons.

Or, alternately, you could just keep playing Vampire: The Masquerade, or maybe upgrade to the new edition and play some Vampire: Requiem. I mean, as an option to trying to make a kewl vampire in another setting; that's what you're doing, right? You want to copy Potence and Celerity, you want claws (Protean level 2, for those who don't play Vampire), and you want (ooh, aggravated damage!) fangs. Play Vampire, a role playing game about playing vampires. Or find a GM stupid enough to let you play an HMVV infected person, in a Shadowrun game (for the half a session it takes them to come to their senses). I'm not sure why you think Shadowrun needs some wannabe vampires running around.

The only original idea you seem to have is the magically calling a weapon to your hand schtick. It, and it alone, isn't something already covered by SR's rules (and also has no easily attainable similar ability from the actual Vampire RPG). A few people have given you good ideas on that one, but it's (again) just a matter of talking your GM into coming up with a house rule.

Personally, I'd come up with a little more original, more setting specific, character idea. It's irritating to see someone not want to make a character that fits (even remotely well) into the Shadowrun setting. I'm sorry you're apparently having trouble getting into a Vampire game right now, but there's no need to take it out on Shadowrun.
rozark69
well first off thank you for some of your insights those of you who didnt do exsacatlly what I knew you would, and Im actually not making a vampire at all but thanks for that conclusion it was as you think a logical conclusion but sorry was not what Im doing.To those of you I offended with a few basic if perhaps uneducated questions Im terrorbly sorry.
lol but your responses were expected because that seems to be all you know how to do.

hahnsoo
Hey, I try to post as neutral as I can, sorry if you took offense at my post. Sometimes on threads, I try to develop a devil's advocate stance against a predominant poster to open more avenues of debate, but I've had several lapses into paternalism so far, which I'm trying to correct.

My advice to you is picking up a "Strunk and White" or some other writing style manual, as it will help you get your point across in a more deliberate and acceptable manner. Your grammar, punctuation, and spelling also need a bit of work, but it looks like you are at least trying.
Req
QUOTE (rozark69)
well first off thank you for some of your insights those of you who didnt do exsacatlly what I knew you would, and Im actually not making a vampire at all but thanks for that conclusion it was as you think a logical conclusion but sorry was not what Im doing.To those of you I offended with a few basic if perhaps uneducated questions Im terrorbly sorry.
lol but your responses were expected because that seems to be all you know how to do.

Ya know, the majority of the responses here were pretty helpful, well-thought-out and well-spoken, and you still jump right up and diss the folks here.

Maybe not the best way to make your introduction to the board?
rozark69
hahnsoo I didnt mean you at all in fact theres only one or two I think fit in to my afore mentioned catorgory.Thanks for taking the time to answer I appreciate it and thank you to most of you I got what I wanted really and enjoyed some of your veiws.
rozark69
Sorry Req you are correct and I didnt mean all of you.So I am sorry for that I think I will go back to reading threads as apposed to posting them.
Sandoval Smith
Don't feed the trolls.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (rozark69 @ Mar 9 2005, 02:01 PM)

........can you change your teeth into fangs?

i'm sure i saw something in M&M about that.......yep there it is page 42,

Fang Implants, Enlarged canines, anchored for support and sharpend for penitration, are avalible in standard or extended models.

Game effects, fang attacts suffer a -1 reach modifier. The extendedable modle looks like normal canines unless they are triggerd.
don't know about the rest but might be worth taking a look at Man and Machine!

torz x wink.gif
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Critias)
Yes, you're very (sarcastically) apologetic about it, but the simple fact is most of your questions are very easily answered by a basic rulebook and a pinch of imagination. Call your Killing Hands "claws" if you really need to. Hell, call your Killing Hands "fangs" if it really floats your boat. Buy some Improved Physical Attribute: Strength, maybe some Attribute Boost: Strength. Ditto with Quickness, couple it with some Increased Reflexes. While you're at it, stock up on some improved Perception or some extra senses (to copy Auspex), buy some of the new social powers from Sota: 64 (since every good World of Darkness vampire has some Presence or Dominate, too, right?), and don't forget some Mystic Armor and improved healing rates in order to copy Fortitude and/or innate vampiric immunity to most weapons.

Or, alternately, you could just keep playing Vampire: The Masquerade, or maybe upgrade to the new edition and play some Vampire: Requiem. I mean, as an option to trying to make a kewl vampire in another setting; that's what you're doing, right? You want to copy Potence and Celerity, you want claws (Protean level 2, for those who don't play Vampire), and you want (ooh, aggravated damage!) fangs. Play Vampire, a role playing game about playing vampires. Or find a GM stupid enough to let you play an HMVV infected person, in a Shadowrun game (for the half a session it takes them to come to their senses). I'm not sure why you think Shadowrun needs some wannabe vampires running around.

The only original idea you seem to have is the magically calling a weapon to your hand schtick. It, and it alone, isn't something already covered by SR's rules (and also has no easily attainable similar ability from the actual Vampire RPG). A few people have given you good ideas on that one, but it's (again) just a matter of talking your GM into coming up with a house rule.

Personally, I'd come up with a little more original, more setting specific, character idea. It's irritating to see someone not want to make a character that fits (even remotely well) into the Shadowrun setting. I'm sorry you're apparently having trouble getting into a Vampire game right now, but there's no need to take it out on Shadowrun.

Damn man, try decaff.
Kagetenshi
Why? I was biting my tongue to keep from the same response. The original post starts off defensive and goes downhill from there.

~J
Fortune
I'm not quite sure just what answers you wanted. Even though your original post was insulting towards the entire forum, you still got answers that were civil and well thought out, and also mostly in agreement with each other. Most of the things you want can be accomplished within the Shadowrun rules as written.

Yet you still whine! ohplease.gif
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Why? I was biting my tongue to keep from the same response. The original post starts off defensive and goes downhill from there.

~J

I would have respected a more direct "I want to play Vampire in SR" line of quetions too, but aside from the overly defensive posture he still did a fair job of asking his questions I thought. No reason to burn him down IMO.
Synner
Okay, you might say I've had a little experience developing adept powers recently (I'm at least partially responsible for the hotly debated SOTA64 adept add-on)... so here's my take on the stuff you've posted:

Is there a power that can make a weapon return to your hand be it an edged weapon or a gun (...)? My question is such why not?

No such powers exist currently in Shadowrun nor are they likely to exist. The main reason for this is that the vast majority of adept powers are somatic - they affect the adept, his abilities and at most stuff he is in direct physical contact with. Adepts have no telekinetic ability for this very reason (and yes, Distance Strike can be debated to no end but its still a projected force not something with any measure of control).

If the GM is feeling lenient and willing to let you go ahead regardless, I suggest he allow this only with a weapon which has been Attuned (see Adept Metamagics in SOTA64) and double or triple the Attunement cost.

Bone or facial sculpt.

Facial sculpt was introduced in SOTA64.

Now we have a power that could change ones colour of hair

This power too was introduced in SOTA64.

Can lengthen finger nails further more is there one that can lengthen and strengthen them so they could be used as weapons?

Although this has never been clarified anywhere (to the best of my knowledge), I can confirm that hardening nails into ripping claws is one possible manifestation of the Killing Hands power. Obviously this does not exclude or preclude completely different manifestations of the power in different adepts. Again, in SOTA64, there's a nice pic of a Shamanic Adept going into frenzy and even though it's never said (in the accompanying text) that he's using Killing Hands, his "claws" are out.

those of you familiar with Vampire will recal two magic powers called Selerity and potency.Does anyone else not think they might be cool in Shadowrun? a power that increases the damage you do (potency) I dont know of any such power in Shadowrun and think it would be cool

Several different powers in Shadowrun fit the bill including Increased Physical Attribute (Strength), Attribute Boost (Strength), Killing Hands and even Smashing Blow, depending on which approach you prefer.

Again this is covered by multiple existing powers - Enhanced Reflexes especifically increases the number of actions/phases per turn, others like Quick Strike, Increased Physical Attribute (Quickness), Attribute Boost (Quickness) also allow "Celerity" like effects.
mfb
speaking of new powers, Synner, is that possible web add-on (official or not) to the adept section of SOTA:64 still in the works?
Synner
Yes. I've just finished my latest assignment which means my schedule should be clearing up a bit. I'm waiting for details on another upcoming assignment (or lack thereof) to see if I have the time to put this stuff together,
rozark69
Well Fortune thank you for your imput. Ironacally my coments did not apply to you as of all the forum I respect youin the top ten so sorry you think I was winnig.To Synner thanks for your post I do have sota 64 the question about fangs was the question I know you can change face.But thank you very much for answering my questions to all of you thank you. To those who answered it and not attacke it that is.I apologise again if I ofended anyone I did not mean to.
My questions have been answered thank you one and all.
Fortune
I apologize if I came off a bit harsh in my last post.

In general, none of us mind answering questions, or giving our opinions on Shadowrun, no matter how many times a subject may raise its head, or we wouldn't be members for very long. It isn't usual for most of the members of this forum to deride people for merely asking something, so I was sort of surprised by the tone of your posts, implying that you were expecting to be ridiculed.
Critias
Yeah, yeah. I know. I'm a big jerk. But someone had to be mean to him, after he stepped up to the plate, cocked his chin, and asked for a sock in the face. It's a little thing I like to call "self fulfilling prophecy," when someone starts a conversation on the defensive like that.
rozark69
You a funny guy Critis dont worry I apologise to you to.....feel better now? settle pettle its all fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012