Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sustaining Foci question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SirKalamon
I am just curious that if a mage has masking and uses the force 1 sustaining focus for increased reflexes,he would have no reason to ever turn it off and recast it on the focus unless it shuts off if he passes through a ward?Is there a limit to how long the focus can sustain a spell?Also what are most reactions to mages or shamans if they notice a sustaining focus of increased reflexes or any other spell?
Kanada Ten
...he would have no reason to ever turn it off and recast it on the focus unless it shuts off if he passes through a ward?

Or the focus is removed from the spell's subject, or other unlikely events.

Is there a limit to how long the focus can sustain a spell?

Not really (but one usually does somethings without attachments, such as shower and...).

Also what are most reactions to mages or shamans if they notice a sustaining focus of increased reflexes or any other spell?

Depends on the situation, where the event occurs, what their job is, what the charatcer is doing, etc. Mostly nothing.
Dawnshadow
Make a note to point a bigger gun then normal at that particular mage/shaman and pull the trigger just before everything goes nuts. Mages with multiple complex actions are scary, and should be put down very early in the fight, preferably in the surprise round before they have the chance to duck and make use of said complex actions to ruin my day.

Other spells? Dead based on priority. I love having astral perception and a massive amount of skill with guns.
Fortune
QUOTE (SirKalamon)
... unless it shuts off if he passes through a ward?

If the mage is a half-decent Initiate Grade, his Masking should prevent it from being shut down when crossing any reasonable Ward. High Force ones might be another matter though.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (SirKalamon @ Mar 10 2005, 02:02 PM)
... unless it shuts off if he passes through a ward?

If the mage is a half-decent Initiate Grade, his Masking should prevent it from being shut down when crossing any reasonable Ward. High Force ones might be another matter though.

Assuming he notices the ward (thus is astrally present), but the Syncronizing test is fairly easy.
Fortune
I think that automatically Masking the focus at all times should mean he doesn't have to notice the Ward beforehand.
hahnsoo
A force 1 Sustaining focus would probably be destroyed outright by most wards. nyahnyah.gif When you are masking, you interact with astral barriers normally. I assume this applies to all the foci you are masking as well. The synch test would work if you were aware of the ward beforehand, but if you just walk through one, you'd have to roll for all your dual-natured active foci still.
Fortune
So you are saying that Masking doesn't help at all? I was under the impression that only unMasked Foci had a problem passing through Barriers and Wards. Weird!
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 10 2005, 12:27 AM)
So you are saying that Masking doesn't help at all? I was under the impression that only unMasked Foci had a problem passing through Barriers and Wards. Weird!

If you are Masked, but Astrally Perceiving (dual natured), you will bump into a Ward. Thus, if your foci are masked, but active, they will bump into a ward as well.

Again, if you synchronize your aura with the ward, then it's no problem, but you have to know the ward is there to do that.
Capt. Dave
QUOTE (hahnsoo)

Again, if you synchronize your aura with the ward, then it's no problem, but you have to know the ward is there to do that.

Where are the rules for synchronizing? Oddly enough, I don't think I've ever had them come up...
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Capt. Dave)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Mar 10 2005, 12:29 AM)

Where are the rules for synchronizing? Oddly enough, I don't think I've ever had them come up...

Initiate needs to have the metamagic of "Masking" to synchronize.
Success Contest of:
2 * Initiate grade Dice vs. TN = Force of Ward
Force of Ward Dice vs. TN = Initiate Grade

If the initiate wins, he passes through unharmed, undetected. He/she must do this every time he/she wants to pass the barrier.

Magic in the Shadows, p 88

"Bookninja attack! Hai!"
*tosses a London Sourcebook, hurtling at a nearby tree*
Capt. Dave
Thanks. My Rules-Fu must be weak today... dead.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012