Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Quickining question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mortax
Okay, so my players tend to use a lot of spell locks and quickenings. Aside from astral combat and dispelling, how would I as the evil GM make use of this? This isn't nessisaraly for the group I have now, every group I've ever played with has overused spell locks quickinings ect. Though no one ever uses anchoring but me. (shrugs)

I know I can ground spell (we're playing 2nd ED), and focus adiction. Some of them have enough masking, others don't.

What would walking into a mana barrier do to quickenings, spell locks sustaining foci ect.? Like say if it was set up so the barrer went up upon a sertain trigger. (say detect magic, detect elf, detect soy whatever.)

Just looking for an idea or 20. smile.gif
Mortax
Oh, I have no problem with 3rd ed ideas either. I'm slowly switching over to third, at least for magic. I'm assuming most of the stuff that works on a sustaining focus works on a spell lock.

things dealing with other foci are good too.

Thanks all.

cyber.gif
Tanka
IIRC, wouldn't a Mana Barrier just stop a person anyway?
Mortax
smile.gif In theory, yes. This is assuming they arent strong enought to walk right through it.

However, in another thread someone sudgested the idea, and I was curious exactly how that would work. Like if the two then engeged in astral combat or something. Duno. smile.gif

I mayself use spell locks alot, I just leave them off most of the time, and I almost never use foci. However, as a player whos char usually has MT, and a GM with players who do the same, I'd like to know some fun ways it can be counteracted so I can use/avoid them.
fistandantilus4.0
A strong enough barrier that they can't mask through it. Had this happen to me once. Had to dispel my own quickened increase reflexes.
Sad for me.
hahnsoo
Wards conduct an opposed Force test against the Karma spent on Quickened spells. If the quickened spell loses, it is destroyed. If the spell wins, it goes through, but alerts the creator of the ward.

Foci that are passing through wards (and other astral barriers) face a different test. They roll against a TN equal to the Force of the Ward. If it achieves a threshold equal to half the Force of the Ward, it passes through unharmed. If it achieves any successes, but does not beat the threshold, it is deactivated forcefully. If it achieves no successes, the ward can try to destroy the focus, with a Ward Force test against a TN equal to twice the force of the focus. One or more successes destroys the focus outright.

FAB Strain III loves the always-active quickened/spell locked spells. Nummy nummy!

Play up the fact that the characters are astral beacons. They may know masking, but you can only mask up to a limited amount of foci and sustained spells. Use wards effectively. And what's good for the goose is good for the gander...
fistandantilus4.0
Isn't Fab fooled by masking (think I remember that from MiTS, don't have it handy though)?
Mortax
What is the mechanic behind that? If it isn't masked they can't attun?

edit:You answered as I was asking, cool smile.gif
Mortax
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Mar 10 2005, 12:02 AM)

Play up the fact that the characters are astral beacons.  They may know masking, but you can only mask up to a limited amount of foci and sustained spells.  Use wards effectively.  And what's good for the goose is good for the gander...

some of them both know they are astral beacons, and don't care. They don't see why it is an issue. One person said "You can't be a runner without being a beacon."

...yeah. The most I've ever had was an armor and ch +4 spell quickend with a init +3d6, catwalk, and dirt barrier locked (Cat shaman). However, I kept the locks off until they were needed. With grade 3 initiation, I could mask the others.
I like either stealth, or blatent. Like walking up to the guard, kissing him, or her, and slaping a tranque patch on his neck.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Mar 9 2005, 11:55 PM)
Isn't Fab fooled by masking (think I remember that from MiTS, don't have it handy though)?

Yeah. But you can only mask a certain amount, and you really won't know the cloud is there unless you are always astrally active, or you notice that your spells and foci are starting to get eaten away...

"You can't be a runner without being a beacon."
Famous last words... I don't suppose you guys do a lot of B&E.

Oh, and Off-Topic, whenever someone in our group says "There can be only one!", someone always follows up with the quip "... joke like that." It's quite overused in our gaming group. smile.gif
Mortax
Yes, he just usually ends up sitting outside watching for trouble. And then complains about never getting to do anything. smile.gif He was very usefull when i sent them into the HIVE, though. And will likely be very usefull against the hords of bugs they shall soon have to deal with. smile.gif

As for the title, I'm a Highlander fan. With a subject invovving quickening, I couldn't resist.

But hey, its a great joke.
FOR ME TO POOP ON! smile.gif hehehe.

Thatone is a bit overdone too, but hey...
Crusher Bob
Hmm, some quick things I can think of to deal with spell locks...

You can send watchers to attack them, a force 2 or 3 watchers can easily destroy a spell lock, if the owning magician dosen't interfere. This will either get rid of a few spell locks, or make them spend actions... Besides, if they astrall percieve to go after the watcher, they can then be ganked by the watcher attack pack.

If facing a mage with alot of foci, you can percieve astrall, then blast them with an area of effect spell. As you are using astral perception, all their unmasked foci will be targeted as well.

Quickened spells are harder to get rid of, normally it the legal problems and wards that make having quickened spells difficult.

Dealing with fully masked spell locks is the hardest, as it takes to many actions to detect them that you are better off trying to get rid fo the mage instead. As spirits can't break masking, you can't send them after the foci... The characters still have to be on the lookout for wards though...

You can try casting a quick astral barrier around the offending mage. AS the barrier won't show up in the physical world, they will hopefully move and cross it, forcing their foci to combat the barrier...
Zolhex
Ya know I read this topics title and the first thing I thought was oh look someone wants to discuss those optional rules a friend of mine said he got from Tom Dowd to make Highlanders.

Oh well next thread.
Apathy
...yeah. The most I've ever had was an armor ... spell quickend ...

Your shaman walked around with a permanent glow?
BitBasher
QUOTE (Casazil)
Ya know I read this topics title and the first thing I thought was oh look someone wants to discuss those optional rules a friend of mine said he got from Tom Dowd to make Highlanders.

Oh well next thread.

Highlanders are just people from the highlands of scotland. All of em. You're probably thinking of Immortals. wink.gif
Zolhex
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Mar 10 2005, 04:58 PM)
QUOTE (Casazil @ Mar 10 2005, 12:26 PM)

Oh well next thread.

Highlanders are just people from the highlands of scotland. All of em. You're probably thinking of Immortals. wink.gif

Yes I meant immortals but the idea I was told was based on the concept of Connor and Duncan McCoud from the Highlander movie/tv fame. nyahnyah.gif
Mortax
QUOTE (Apathy)

No, guess I should say it in a less confusing way, I do this sometimes, sorry.

Everything she had was either masked, or off unless it was needed. Actually, she could mask more quickenings than she had for a long time. So she still locked mundane, until the drek hit the fan. But then, she was casting overstim and barriers by then and it was a bit obviouse anyway. smile.gif

Yes, I've see the rules for imortals, and I'd love to do it. Unfortunatly, balencing them is hard, and the one guy who got us into shadowrun would kill me cause he says its out of cannon and the general idea of shadowrun.
fistandantilus4.0
I think what he means is that the armor spell makes a glwoing filed around you in the physical world according to the spell decsription. Masking wouldn't cover that.
I don't really see any reason you couldn't make a custom version that would be invisible, but "street grimoire" armor glows in a very obvious way.
Mortax
Ya know, your right. I went back and looked, the armor was on a spell lock, the dirt barrier was quickend. So I just never got dirty. Sorry, I should learn to look at the char sheet before posting stats.
tisoz
QUOTE (Apathy)

I think he said somewhere he is playing 2nd edition. The Armor spell had a totally different description. It does not even hint at creating a glowing field inviting everyone to geek the mage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012