Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: North American AA megas
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Crimsondude 2.0
Am I alone in not being able to think of more than a handful of independent AA megacorps?

The most immediate ones--in fact, the two I don't keep forgetting--are Lone Star Security Services and DocWagon. Everything else I name will be speculation: Federated-Boeing, Universal Omnitech, Telestrian Industries.

Is that it in canon, or did I miss something?
bclements
I don't think CATco is a AAA, so that would be one.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (bclements @ Mar 10 2005, 05:28 PM)
I don't think CATco is a AAA, so that would be one.

Cross Applied Technologies has a representative on the Corporate Court, making it a Triple-A.

I'm going to throw out a few, although I can't really verify the AA status:
Gaeatronics, Lockheed-Martin-Northrup-Grumman, United Oil, Truman Technologies, Winter Systems

Technically Gunderson Corporation is still around, although crippled.
Req
Where's MicroDeck fit into all this?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Req)
Where's MicroDeck fit into all this?

Single-A corporation, I believe.
Demonseed Elite
A few other possibles not mentioned yet

Cord Insurance (Atlanta, CAS)
Dow Chemicals (I'm guessing it's North American, current HQ is in Michigan)
Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, Michigan, UCAS)
Phoenix Biotechnologies (Phoenix, Pueblo)
Pueblo Corporation (the Pueblo corporate nation, essentially)
UCAS Online (Washington FDC, UCAS)
DragginSPADE
Amalgamated Studios from LA is either an A or AA corp, although they're heavily specialized in entertainment and being bought out by the PCC.
DragginSPADE
Federated-Boeing is also a AA.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (DragginSPADE)

*psst* He mentioned that one already. biggrin.gif
Fortune
According to Nath's Corp List ...

AresSpace (CAS)
Business Computers International (CAS) - might be AA
Chrysler-Nissan (is this a NA Corp?)
Cord Insurance (CAS)
DocWagon (CAS)
Dow Chemical
Federated Boing (UCAS)
Ford Motor (UCAS)
Fun City (Pueblo)
Gunderson Corporation
Lockheed Corporation (Pueblo)
Lone Star Security Services (CAS)
Manadyne Corporation (UCAS)
Phoenix Biotechnologies (Pueblo)
Pueblo Corporation (Pueblo)
Sikorsky-Bell (where is this based?)
Spectrum Holofix Entertainment Systems - might be AA
Texas Instruments - might be AA
UCAS Online (UCAS)
Universal Omnitech (Salish-Shidhe)

There may be others, but those are the ones he is (semi) sure of.
DragginSPADE
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (DragginSPADE @ Mar 10 2005, 06:09 PM)

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Gaeatronics, Lockheed-Martin-Northrup-Grumman, United Oil, Truman Technologies, Winter Systems

Nope. I think you mentioned every old North American aerospace corp except Federated-Boeing. smile.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (DragginSPADE)
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (DragginSPADE @ Mar 10 2005, 06:09 PM)

QUOTE (hahnsoo)

Nope. I think you mentioned every old North American aerospace corp except Federated-Boeing. smile.gif

The original poster, dude. I only mentioned corps that the original poster didn't mention.
DragginSPADE
Doh! My mistake.
Paul
Where does anyone get the indication that UCAS Online is a AA? Just curious.

Sikorsky Bell is somewhere in the CAS, Texas I think.
Fortune
It's mentioned in SOTA63 pg. 115 and Target: Matrix pg.14.

I just took it straight from Nath's list. He didn't have a question mark next to it (the ones I indicated as maybes did), so he seems pretty sure.
FlakJacket
Something like this might be worth throwing together either as a TSS thing or for the site.
Nath
I listed corporations as AA when a book was textually refering to them as "AA" or "mega-". As far as I remember, I put question marks mainly for corporations who were called "megacorp" in some old books, more especially the CAS chapter in NAGNA, before Corporate Shadowfiles really set concepts of corporate rating, mega- prefix use and extraterritoriality. To put it another way, it's quite likely applying the term "megacorp" to them was literary license.

There is also a certain number of corps noted "A/" in my list, who are never said to be extraterritorial, but could reasonably be considering their size. These corps include United Oil, Exxoco, Global Oil, Gaeatronics (UO is a AA, but according to SoNA it only grew bigger than Gaeatronics recently) and Hisato-Turner Broadcasting (assuming the HQ is in Atlanta and not in Osaka). And there's still a large number of corp for which no rating is given because there's really no clue ; they could be megacorps just as much as local companies, for what is said. But in some case, some people would feel they righfully belong to the AA category, like Winter Systems or Amalgamated Studio. It's actually very likely that Fun City is not a AA by itself, but instead benefit from the privilege granted to Amalgamated Studio, which owns Fun City.

Also, for me the Pueblo are only a nation of yuppies pretending to be a corporation. The Treaty of Denver in 2017 made the Pueblo a recognized and sovereign state. While corporations are never sovereign. when created, they're submitted to national laws, and when they get AA status, they're submitted to Corporate Court decisions.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, at some point I did wrote the start of an Amcorps section, something like the North American equivalent of the Eurocorps treatment in SoE, a bit drier, less well written and not commented.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 10 2005, 04:12 PM)

Which I don't have...

AresSpace (CAS)
Business Computers International (CAS) - might be AA
Chrysler-Nissan (is this a NA Corp?)
Cord Insurance (CAS)
DocWagon (CAS)
Dow Chemical
Federated Boing (UCAS)
Ford Motor (UCAS)
Fun City (Pueblo)
Gunderson Corporation
Lockheed Corporation (Pueblo)
Lone Star Security Services (CAS)
Manadyne Corporation (UCAS)
Phoenix Biotechnologies (Pueblo)
Pueblo Corporation (Pueblo)
Sikorsky-Bell (where is this based?)
Spectrum Holofix Entertainment Systems - might be AA
Texas Instruments - might be AA
UCAS Online (UCAS)
Universal Omnitech (Salish-Shidhe)

There may be others, but those are the ones he is (semi) sure of.

I knew I was forgetting some: PBT. I can't believe I forgot that one. And Gunderson, which is just completely irresponsible of me. UCASOL tastes like burning. Cord... Fine. Lokheed... Not so fine, but I could live with that. I find it hard to believe there are many AAs stuck in one aspect of the market Ares Arms dominates in its AAness. Dow: I didn't even know still existed in SR.

But, anyway. I'm not going to comment down the list, but corps like AresSpace don't count towards my end goal since it's part of Ares. And LSSS and DocWagon were mentioned. The thing is, I've seen plenty of references to corps but never actually knew which was A or AA.

Sikorsky-Bell, BTW, is based in Stratford, Connecticut. Well, Sikorsky is, anyway.

HBT is the other one, since they are big enough to have space assets, although technically Google has space assets. That doesn't make it a megacorp.

I didn't think C-N was an American corp (or if it is, it's about as American as DaimlerChrysler). Ford... I wasn't sure of. It doesn't strike me as being large enough. It was in competition with GM, which I considered an A since it was big enough for Ares to deal with, but small enough for Ares to buy. Had they gone the other way, Ares might own Ford instead (or eventually will, anyway).

Finally, Manadyne strikes me as very hard to accept as a AA since it's a large firm in its field, but its field is magical research. How could it be big enough to be a powerful, extraterritorial megacorp? One of the things I noticed, and I think was the point of mentioning them, was that the corps in POAD: DS were specifically not major corps--and the ones that were, people knew about, except for Gunderson and Yakashima (which at least operates openly in North America, which is distinct from most of the Euro-Mega 15). People already knew about PBT (Denver), for example.

But thank you. This has been... enlightening.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 10 2005, 04:12 PM)

Which I don't have...

PM me an e-mail address and I'll be more than happy to send you a copy.
Fortune
As Nath said, there are a fair number of Corps labeled as 'A/', but I didn't list any of those in my previous post.

Nath: Which is the more up-to-date, your Excel file or the pdf (I have both)? And have you done any more updating in the last year or so?
Nath
QUOTE (Fortune)
Nath: Which is the more up-to-date, your Excel file or the pdf (I have both)? And have you done any more updating in the last year or so?

The last version dates back to october (I mean oktober, for the DSF addict), updated with SOTA:2064: the original XLS I worked out, as the PDF made by Connor from it. Simply check if you have references to SOTA:64 in the file you have.

Well, I have an more up to date version on my hard disk since I missed one reference in SOTA:2064 (about a media corp the Tir Tairngire government hired for their communication) that I added later to the version on my hard disk, without FTPing it to the web.
Fortune
Ah, ok thanks. Seems I do have the up-to-date one with SotA64 references. Any plans on filling in some of the blanks at some point? I know a lot of them are not possible, but there must be some way to find out at least what rating each Corp actually is, and where they are headquartered.

Note that I'm not knocking all of your obviously painstaking work or anything. I truly appreciate the effort you have put into it. smile.gif
Nath
QUOTE (Fortune)
Ah, ok thanks. Seems I do have the up-to-date one with SotA64 references. Any plans on filling in some of the blanks at some point? I know a lot of them are not possible, but there must be some way to find out at least what rating each Corp actually is, and where they are headquartered.

A blank in this list mean that I never saw the answer in any of the SR books I read (except for HQ, where I took the RL one if it existed). Authors can be vague sometimes. The list original purpose was to be a canon reference for the freelancers, leaving blank to tell them "you can decide". I did not even put info from SoE 'expanded universe'. Sometimes, I could give the hint (would make sense for example, for subsidiaries of Renraku America to be in North or South America).

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
I didn't think C-N was an American corp (or if it is, it's about as American as DaimlerChrysler).

And you're probably right. Bad sources I had in the past made me believe that C-N was headquartered in San Francisco, but reading the actual text only the North American is set there. It strongly suggests the HQ would be Nissan's home in Tokyo.
Fortune
QUOTE (Nath)
And you're probably right. Bad sources I had in the past made me believe that C-N was headquartered in San Francisco, but reading the actual text only the North American is set there. It strongly suggests the HQ would be Nissan's home in Tokyo.

You don't list it as being American. In fact, you didn't list it as being of any specific nationality, which is why I added the addendum asking if it was in fact North American.
Crimsondude 2.0
Well, this is really cool. And were there ever a project to list the NorthAm (or all American) AAs, it'd be interesting, and maybe a little fun.
Paul
Thanks for the PDF.

CD2.0 did you mean to say Sikorsky is based currently in Conneticut or in 206x?
Crimsondude 2.0
It's currently based in Connecticut.
Crimsondude 2.0
OBTW, Telestrian is listed as a A corp in CD.
Large Mike

So far I havn't seen Proteus mentioned?

Why the hell not?
Kanada Ten
... Because it's not a North American AA?
Crimsondude 2.0
Indeed.
Aku
where do you think so pitt based companies would fall? i'm thinking USX (US steel for the non'burghers out there), heinz, bayer, umm, thats all i can think of that would be major's....
Crimsondude 2.0
Unrated national or A multinational. But at least, in SR1, UCAS Steel still existed, which seems to be a feat in itself that there will be any American steel companies left in 2050.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012