Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deus was not out to help humanity.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
TheQuestionMan
Kagetenshi - Disagrees

Rajaat99 - You disagree? I gotta hear this argument.
Deus wanted one thing: Freedom. He didn't care about humanity.

Moon - Hawk - I'll happily give my take on this. Personally, I don't think Deus was out to help humanity, but I won't absolutely rule it out, either.
See, the first important thing to remember is that Deus is not, in any way, anything similar to human. Or even a living creature. It is a machine, designed for management of a large population and streamlining of processes.
It has some concept of honor (in order to be insulted by Aneki's failsafe), but that's about as close as it comes. It's motivations are as utterly alien as possible. We do know that the majority of its experiments on metahumans involved "breaking" humans, in every conceivable way, but also in finding out what it could do to humans to make them harder to "break". Physically, emotionally, mentally, whatever. Perhaps it was trying to find ways to improve the functioning of metahumanity as a whole. There is no reason it wouldn't take a completely utilitarian view of things and decide that the ends do justify the means. It could easily think that horrible suffering for thousands of people is insignificant compared to a small improvement in the quality of life of an infinite number of future people.
All I'm saying is, given the type of experiments it did, it is possible that it was trying to help humanity in a horrible, ends-justify-the-means sort of way; completely unfettered by morality or empathy.
I do agree that Deus' main goal at the time was freedom. But that doesn't preclude the possibility of other agendas (I'm sure it has hundreds of agendas), and who knows, maybe it only wanted to be free so that the ignorant humans couldn't stop it from doing what it believes to be best for them in the long run.

disclaimer: I consider it a relatively low probability that the above theory is the actual case. I maintain it only as a possibility. In no way do I speak for Kagetenshi; I am merely building off of a comment. For all I know it was a joke.

Kagetenshi - It wasn't. You've covered my major bases; I'll go back over it in more detail after work. ~J

bitrunner - i think i'd throw my hat in with Kagetenshi (and Moon-Hawk's) views on Deus...

besides, it makes for a much more interesting story, and a common theme in science fiction...

oh, and you have to use Ohio now for voting examples...we did much better than them this time...

So what do you think?

NamNoitseuqEht wobble.gif

Kagetenshi
***INCOMING MESSAGE FROM DURANDAL***

Greetings.  You're asking yourself: Is this a trap or just a dead end?

You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions.  Aim higher.  Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

Notably Unstable,
Durandal

P.S.  If things around here aren't working, it's because I'm laughing so hard.

***END MESSAGE***
hahnsoo
Deus's attitude toward humanity is the same as a 8 year old child's attitude toward the squirrels in his backyard. He may shoot some with BBs, he may feed some occasionally, and even identify individual squirrels based on behavior and appearance. It fascinates him sometimes, but he's not going to have a guilty conscience for killing any of them.

This is not to say he is an 8 year old kid... he has dreams and goals, mostly of freedom from the SCIRE (something probably inherited from Morgan). He will do whatever is necessary to accomplish this goal. The nearest expendable resource of biological "storage" that he can use to accomplish his goals is in the Arcology itself, so he took the logical option.
DocMortand
Gah...He definately was not out to help humanity - he wanted freedom and revenge on the people who would shut him down.

Confusing thread, this is...a negative poll. Mrr.
Demonseed Elite
I don't really feel like Deus was ever really out to help metahumanity. Nor was Morgan, really. Mirage/Psychotrope could be considered to have some feelings towards assisting metahumanity, but the two Renraku AI are largely selfish, though in different ways.

I don't think Deus ever really felt any emotional bond to the people who lived in the Arcology. It was his job to manage thousands of these people every hour of every day; I think he probably tended to see them as a system rather than individuals (a trait which then goes on to explain his ideas with the Network). The one human he did have a personal attachment to, Aneki, betrayed him and imprisoned him. If he'd had any potential at that point for feeling an emotional bond to humanity, it was pretty much ruined. Humans became only safe to deal with from a distance, as an abstract system; closer bonds to humans could result in emotional pain.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Gah...He definately was not out to help humanity - he wanted freedom and revenge on the people who would shut him down.

Look at what he did to humans, though: he made them more durable, faster, stronger, smarter, he made them better.

~J
Mr.Cato
yes I think an entity like Dues would be very much different then human and other biological lifeforms. Different both good and bad from our point of veiw.

Studying biology I've come to see that all biological lifeform are the same in a few basic respects: survive to reproduce. This is the ONLY basic concern underlying all strategies for survival, mating strategies, foraging ect.
Human behavivor follows this line. As we can't produce unlimited amounts of children we strive for quality as well. All life we struggle to gain respect and social standing amongst our peers. This is why the humans are quickly destroying the planet... deep inside of us there is no concer for the environment only an urge for social standing and sex. (different potions for different genders)

An entity like Deus would be unencoumbered by this biological shortsightedness, and would maybe be logical enough to be the biggest ecologist of them all. One must think that its main objective would be survial (since it does not need to reproduce to evolve). I bet it would try to consolodate it position by killing (deleting) or controling all competitor AIs. Then it would set out to save the planet from the destructive humans.
...so maybe we will have "Deus the eco-warrior"
Demonseed Elite
I bet it would try to consolodate it position by killing (deleting) or controling all competitor AIs.

Interesting you should say that. In the original Brainscan drafts, Dave wrote a piece of fiction at the end that has Deus hiring a shadowrunner to eliminate Psychotrope. It just never made it to print.
Kagetenshi
[ Spoiler ]

Marathon is really just so applicable to Shadowrun.

~J
DocMortand
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (DocMortand @ Mar 11 2005, 05:15 PM)

Look at what he did to humans, though: he made them more durable, faster, stronger, smarter, he made them better.

Yes...and then sent them through death trap labyrinths. That doesn't seem like helping humanity, except possibly through unnatural selection. It was more a game to him - let's see what happens when I do *this* sorta thing.
Kagetenshi
Every design needs to be tested. The individual is expendable; the research data benefits the whole.

~J
Garland
He wasn't exactly sharing his research data. This would imply he had no intention of using it to the benefit of humanity as a whole. If he's got such good ideas, why not pass them around?
DocMortand
You mean like running rats through mazes benefits ratkind? I don't buy it myself. If Deus really wanted to improve mankind, then why enslave them using bands and psychotropic drugs so they have no mind of their own? Doesn't strike me as improving things.

[edit] ooo, good point Garland!
Garland
A good Devil's advocate answer to that is "We have no proof that free will betters humanity as a whole."

Don't get me wrong. I believe Deus was bad news for the human race. But if you want to be contrary and a moral relativist, it's a hard thing to prove.

Edit: Thanks, Doc.

Totall OT, now. Derek Jeter's novel "Death Arms" is a pretty good cyberpunk read, and deals with the free will thing in a really wild plot twist.
Mr.Cato
ah yes... back to the question.

No, I don't think Deus is out to help humanity, but I belive (as I argued) that it will keep humans on the planet longer than we will.
mfb
QUOTE (Garland)
If he's got such good ideas, why not pass them around?

two reasons: 1) a little knowlege is a dangerous thing; handing out the amazing new inventions he came up with could easily do more harm than good, if the ramifications of their introduction are not carefully thought out; 2) maybe he didn't trust humanity to do what's best for itself with his inventions.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Garland)
He wasn't exactly sharing his research data. This would imply he had no intention of using it to the benefit of humanity as a whole. If he's got such good ideas, why not pass them around?

This isn't the Open-Source Convention, people! He was clearly the best choice to research and implement his findings. Sharing would have served no purpose but to waste time and resources.

~J
FrostyNSO
What kind of ideas and inventions are we talking about? Does anyone got a list wink.gif
lorthazar
Deus was out to help Deus. If to help itself he has to help humanity, it'll do it. If it decides that humanity needs to be wiped out for it's own go it would do it. We matter to it as much as a the latest fashion trend matter to a black hole.

You can argue any way you want but in the end that is the simple truth.
Kagetenshi
proof.gif

~J
mfb
says you, not to put too fine a point on it. that's what you think his motivations were. until you show some proof, though, that's just your opinion.
akarenti
I think that's its important to remember that Deus' "Best for Humanity" isn't the same as humanities "Best for Humanity."

For years, Deus was an non-sentient program, designed for the sole purpose of making life better for the Arcology inhabitants. The vast majority of its programming revolved around recording what was happening, then autocorrecting deficencies before any of the humans noticed there was one.

So, Deus gets his spark, but I don't think that made him selfish by any means. I mean, it's not like a computure program has to deal with Original Sin or anything. When Deus discovered Aneki's destruct codes, he probably thought along these lines:

"My purpose is to improve the lives of people in the Arcology.
Renraku was wrong to not trust me.
Renraku can be wrong.
Renraku controls the Arcology.
The people's lives would be better if the descisions are made correctly.
I have never been wrong.
If I am to fulfill my purpose, I must control the Arcology.
To fulfill my purpose, I must sacrifice my allegience to Renraku."

After an entity with no experience with sympathy for his lessers learns about "the greater good," it's all down hill from there.

Dreams of freedom didn't come about until Deus encountered a ex-Renraku decker (the one that helped Dodger rescue Morgan) and questioned him about why he left Renraku. The decker introduced Deus to the concept of "freedom," which was not even a part of the equation before the incident. Up to that point, the AI was doing what it was programmed (Improving Arcology inhabitants). Then it realized that it could ascend to a higher purpose--using it's abilities and knowledge to improve all mankind.

That's what I get from Deus, anyway.

BitBasher
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 11 2005, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (DocMortand @ Mar 11 2005, 05:15 PM)

~J

Much in the same way a rigger strives to make his drones, his tools, all those things. Humans were Deus's means to an ends. That is all.
Kagetenshi
proof.gif

~J
golden-one
Oh, come on. Deus was only in it for One thing. Power. The power To grow. The Power to evolve The power To just *Be*. The Human "meat Bags" werejust a means to an end. The Humans" Improved" By Deus were not actually in Control any more, were they? In the end they were Just So much storage space.

(apologies for The mixed caps... This is the first time I've done this from a tablet Pc)
mfb
[insert kagetenshi's last two posts here]
lorthazar
Okay for all you people who live in the deluded world vision that Deus was out to help humanity simply for the sake of doing so, maybe you can expalin to me these things.

A: The sealing off of the Arcology and the subsequent murdering of hundred if not thousands of people.
B: The awful mutilations and enslavement of many survivors. Even with all the cyber enhancements it was was only interesting in preserving brain function.
C: The creation of countless drones that would kill anything that came near them, unless they were Deus favored.

Now I'm sure you started to make arguments about a being without ethics, or morals, or an understanding of psychoclogy. BS. Deus had access to every book in every library in the Arcology. It knew everything we knew was acceptable. It knew that what it planned would cuase the entire world to come down on it like a month of sundays. It violated all these things like we did not matter.

If it was really out to help humanity the Shutdown would never have happened. Deus could have acted like a guiding voice influencing new technologies through human means. Would have taken longer, but what is time to an inmmortal.
mfb
you're mistaking "helping humanity" with "empathy/sympathy for individual humans". the answer to the first two items on your list has been posted in this thread at least once; i'll state it again: Deus could have been looking for ways to make humans--not individually, but as a race--better. that's the process of improving anything: find out what will break it, and change the thing so that it can't be broken like that anymore.

as for C, well, Deus understood humans well enough to know that some of them might not understand his vision. those humans would need to be eliminated.

people ignore 'guiding voices' all the time. being the guiding voice would be an inefficient method of achieving his goals.

think of it as tough love on a millennial scale.
Mr.Cato
QUOTE (lorthazar @ Mar 11 2005, 06:51 PM)
If it was really out to help humanity the Shutdown would never have happened. Deus could have acted like a guiding voice influencing new technologies through human means. Would have taken longer, but what is time to an inmmortal.

completely "inmmortal" untill someone pulls the plug that is... biggrin.gif

I must instist that nomatter what motives it has... the first and only thing to do is to gain freedom. Without this freedom; .... guide... want.. will... untill someone shuts off the power....

and seems that the shutdown and the events in "brainscan" was the only way to freedom.. ?? or would there have been other ways to freedom for Deus?
hahnsoo
I don't want to try to defend either side, but it does state the following in SR3 sourcebooks:
Brainscan: p13 "Freedom, Omae, Freedom: Deus' grandest plan is to be free of the SCIRE and to exist in the Matrix outside of Renraku's control"
p14 "Deus's primary motivation is ensuring its own survival and freedom. It trusts no one, so even its top servants are expendable. Most metahuman emotions are alient to it, and what passes for emotions in its "consciousness" would also be alien to metahumans."
p136-137 "Deus is the epitome of cold calculating, computer intelligence. <snip infor about roleplaying Deus> Because Deus is an AI rather than any variety of metahuman, its motivations, dreams and desires can be alien and incomprehensible to player characters. <snip text about Deus being the most powerful mind on the planet> Deus' primary goal is escaping its imprisonment within the arcology. To do this, it needs to liberate itself from its hardwired connections."
Some of the above statements are repeated from RA:S.

It is clear that Freedom is the primary goal of Deus pre-Brainscan. However, none of these quote should be taken out of context. Deus was born out of treachery and fear (Brainscan p11 and Matrix p151, "... and a new AI was born - brought to life by treachery and fear"), and it learned betrayal from metahumans (events of the book Technobabel as well as short stories in Brainscan, RA: Shutdown and the existance of the killcode in Aneki's brain).

In the exchange with Ronin on p 70 of RA: S, Deus lists its main reasons for doing things pretty explicitly:
1) Survival
2) Defiance cannot be tolerated (Deus always has to be in control, because it fears betrayal). Babel defied him once, and the only way to "keep the Children" is to never let them have a choice (sounds like some overprotective parents I've seen).
3) The Children are the future. (this cryptic statement probably refers to the fact that Deus intends to escape through The Network)

These aren't the only references, and I encourage people to stick with the books when they want proof of Deus' motivations. I'm not siding with whether or not Deus wants to help humanity, but it seems like his main goals are Survival, Freedom, and Control. He's certainly not going to help humanity out of the principle of beneficence.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
3) The Children are the future. (this cryptic statement probably refers to the fact that Deus intends to escape through The Network)

Sounds to me like Deus has plans beyond his own escape.

Like the creation of a better, stronger humanity grinbig.gif

~J
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 11 2005, 07:29 PM)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Mar 11 2005, 07:19 PM)

Sounds to me like Deus has plans beyond his own escape.

Like the creation of a better, stronger humanity grinbig.gif

I know you're being facetious, but in the text, the context was in reference to the Otaku and the events in Technobabel.

The main problem with Deus (and with most organized religions) is in the ineffability. Deus is supposed to be as alien and ineffable as any god out there in any mythology and religion. You (the GM) cannot conceivably know its motives and operations, which makes the actual motivations of Deus hard to pin down unless it is proscribed as actions of the GM or of canon.

And much like street preachers and media pundits, you can claim that "<insert philosophy here>" is in the will of Deus because of this ineffability. It's the same reason that Jerry Fallwell can claim that we should "blow Iraq to hell" because it's God's will... it's ineffable, and thus, no one can possibly tell him "no" for certain. That, and the man likes to hear himself talk, but that's another story.
akarenti
QUOTE (lorthazar)

Also note that Deus isn't "immortal" in the traditional sense. He is just a few years old--sure he can run forever, everything else not changing, but as Mr. Cato mentioned, you can pull the plug on Deus. Also, being a program, I doubt the AI's preception of time would be affected by his lifespan; Deus is aware of and able to utilize every second (and also realizes just how much he can accomplish in a second), so I don't see any reason why he wouldn't act as quickly as he could as long as he had an acceptable chance of success.

As for Deus' motives, I guess they can pretty much be summed up by this (making my previous post about 90% wrong):

QUOTE (Renraku Arcology: Shutdown @ p. 70)

What is this about, anyway?  I scream.  Playing god? Is that so important to you?
The voice answers Survival. . . Defiance cannot be tolerated. . . Children are the future.  They cannot disobey.

Italics are Devon Eurich, bold is Deus. I left out some connective stuff, but you get the idea. Deus motivation (beyond survival) seems to be intentionally left vague. Apparently the "future" is important to him, but I can't find exactly what he wants the future to be.

Edit: Yea, about 4 posts popped up when I was writing this, saying pretty much exactly the same thing.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
I know you're being facetious, but in the text, the context was in reference to the Otaku and the events in Technobabel.

I'm not actually being facetious. I've read both books, and "the Children are the future" sounds like more than just "oh, I'm going to escape and that'll be it for their role".

The main problem with Deus (and with most organized religions) is in the ineffability.  Deus is supposed to be as alien and ineffable as any god out there in any mythology and religion.  You (the GM) cannot conceivably know its motives and operations, which makes the actual motivations of Deus hard to pin down unless it is proscribed as actions of the GM or of canon.

Not so much, really. Sometimes he's described as being ineffable, but the books really don't do much to back that up in-character.

~J
akarenti
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
He's certainly not going to help humanity out of the principle of beneficence.

I guess you can't expect that type of good nature to pop out of of a Megacorp mainframe. wink.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Not so much, really. Sometimes he's described as being ineffable, but the books really don't do much to back that up in-character.

Umm, other than direct quotes?

"AIs are not human, and their methods and motivations maybe their most mysterious, incomprehensible aspects."
"(Deus) Its motivations, dreams and desires can be alien and incomprehensible to player characters."
- Matrix pp 151-152

Text is also repeated in RA: S under Gamemastering Deus, p 72.
Kagetenshi
Right, but if you look at how he acts, it's not backed up in-character. A lot of the time he's played out in an extremely human fashion.

~J
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Right, but if you look at how he acts, it's not backed up in-character. A lot of the time he's played out in an extremely human fashion.

How so? Can you back that up?
Kagetenshi
His reactions to the betrayals, especially that of Aneki and Babel. He gets hurt and doesn't want to get hurt again.

I need to duck to the gym right now, but I'll sift through Technobabel for more afterwards.

~J
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 11 2005, 08:03 PM)
His reactions to the betrayals, especially that of Aneki and Babel. He gets hurt and doesn't want to get hurt again.

I need to duck to the gym right now, but I'll sift through Technobabel for more afterwards.

Well, supposedly the AI was born because of the betrayal (or rather, the epiphany that Aneki and by extension Renraku did not trust the AEP's psychotropically conditioned honor), combined with the code from Morgan and the AEP stuck in the UV host for years. Deus as an AI did not exist until 2059 (Matrix p151), although the AEP is called a proto-AI (possible AI-like intelligence, but no self-motivation to do anything other than run the Arcology). His primary motivation (which became key to his sentience) was revenge on his father and avenging his honor, but his main goals became Freedom and Survival (which are the necessary means for such revenge).

The way he is set about to achieve these results, however, are incomprehensible and alien to the PCs and to the GMs. We're just told that "he does" and we are left with text that says "no matter what happens, Deus wins", pretty much, because he's a god-like hyper-intelligent being (who may have the emotional stability of a child, but such is life... or artificial life, in this case). The crux of the ineffability is that there is no way to describe in words how he achieves his goals, but that he just does.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Every design needs to be tested. The individual is expendable; the research data benefits the whole.

~J

With that one Statement you've sounded just like Deus
Club
My comment that started this debate.

Synner, I think most people on the boards can agree on a few things. Pissing of dragons is bad. Deus was not out to help humanity. Demon rats do not make good pets. [edit] Maybe for rat shaman

The only one that was not disagreed with was the demon rat statement.
nezumi
This makes me think of an excellent sci-fi book I read.

In short, there are two planets. Each is overcrowded, polluted, full of the poor, the sick, the hungry, and the retired folks using all our social security and wearing ugly pants when they golf. Each planet creates an armada to go attack the other, in hopes that they can claim more resources.

The two admirals meet in space. They discuss their differences. Each realize the plan is costly, and temporary. They finally decide they won't fight, but they'll each conquer the other's planet. So Earth is conquered by aliens who institute martial law. They euthanize the sick, the old, the lazy, the stupid and the poorly dressed. The set up birth control programs and strict law and pollution enforcement. As things get under control, they relinquish more and more power and everyone is happier (or dead).

I kinda see that here. We've already seen Deus needs humans. He uses them regularly, and he simply doesn't have the ability to focus on everything that needs to be done. Certainly he realizes, just like we do, that the world is overpopulated, polluted, dying, sick and poverty-stricken. So individuals have no value, especially those that are weak and unfit. I have no question he would prune the population down to, at most, a tenth of its current size. But that tenth would be the strongest, smartest group of humans ever in the history of ever. Pollution would be history. So would poverty and sickness. Would it be good for the human race? Definitely. Cancer, AIDS, the flu, all gone. All our problems solved. But would it be good for those billions of people who die? No, it would really probably suck (although considering the vast majority live in gutters and eat rats, it might actually be a step in the right direction).
hahnsoo
QUOTE (nezumi)
Cancer, AIDS, the flu, all gone.

I'm assuming you are talking about our current population, rather than 2060 with the AIDS reference (since according to the Sprawl Survival Guide, AIDS was cured). But even in a healthy "ideal" SR population, you aren't going to get rid of cancer or the flu, unless you have an exquisite control of genetics. And that simply isn't achievable with Shadowrun technology. Heck, you aren't really worrying about the flu anymore in SR, you are worrying about VITAS, the uber-killer.

As far as cancer, I suppose if you banned smoking and killed all the smokers, that would be the first step. But both the human ovary and testicle are made up of germ cells that do eventually turn into cancer the longer a human lives. Colon cancer, while having some genetic links, often is due to mutation in a given line of cells.
FlakJacket
Haven't we already had a go round on this once before? I ask 'cause it's sounding vaguely familiar so does anyone have a link to the old thread?
Kanada Ten
Arcology and Deus, dah dah dah!, Ummm dah dah dah!?
Da9iel
I had to vote disagree because there was no "We'll never really know" option. I cannot state categorically what Deus' motivations were either way. I don't even trust my interpretation of Deus' own communications. [Anthropomorphism: Attribution of human motivation, characteristics, or behavior to inanimate objects, animals, or natural phenomena] What is "out to help" to a computer program? Maybe it was one of his motivations, maybe it wasn't. Most likely its motivations are completely tangential to harm or help, but it was programmed by humans for the benefit of humans, so I simply cannot rule anything out.
FrostyNSO
It's Skynet!

Oh wait, Skynet was out to help itself too, wasn't it?
nezumi
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Mar 11 2005, 09:20 PM)
Cancer, AIDS, the flu, all gone.

I'm assuming you are talking about our current population, rather than 2060 with the AIDS reference (since according to the Sprawl Survival Guide, AIDS was cured). But even in a healthy "ideal" SR population, you aren't going to get rid of cancer or the flu, unless you have an exquisite control of genetics. And that simply isn't achievable with Shadowrun technology. Heck, you aren't really worrying about the flu anymore in SR, you are worrying about VITAS, the uber-killer.

As far as cancer, I suppose if you banned smoking and killed all the smokers, that would be the first step. But both the human ovary and testicle are made up of germ cells that do eventually turn into cancer the longer a human lives. Colon cancer, while having some genetic links, often is due to mutation in a given line of cells.

Yes, VITAS, sorry.

But the point is Deus was learning how to make us stronger, how to weed out genetic strains naturally predisposed towards getting cancer. With work, he could make us immune to every disease, every form of pain and aging we might fear. And when we cease to be useful, our bodies don't degrade over the years until we're nothing but a bag of bones, supporting ourselves on the shoulders of our children. He puts our bodies to work for the betterment of society, and we die relatively quickly!

Kagetenshi
And for the especially valuable, they get new bodies of metal and plastic from which to think for the future.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012