Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic Question!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Streak
Alright, I have a question regarding magic that came up in my last session. One of my players cast Manaball on an unwary subject (Surprised him!), he cast it at Force 4S. The target had a low willpower (2) and 6 successes still made it through!
Which stages the damage up to what?! And does he get a damage resistance roll now? My player argued that in his previous SR groups the GM never rolled damage resistance since the target gets a spell resistance test.

So, my question is twofold:

1) Does the target who has already rolled a Spell resistance test and facing a 5S Stun, now get a Damage resistance test with his body?

2) What do the extra successes do? Their are 6 in this case, so doesn't it knock the target unconcsious (since the damage is staged to 5D) then overflow into a medium physical as well?

Thanks
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Streak @ Mar 14 2005, 09:43 AM)
Alright, I have a question regarding magic that came up in my last session. One of my players cast Manaball on an unwary subject (Surprised him!), he cast it at Force 4S. The target had a low willpower (2) and 6 successes still made it through!
Which stages the damage up to what?! And does he get a damage resistance roll now? My player argued that in his previous SR groups the GM never rolled damage resistance since the target gets a spell resistance test.

1)  Does the target who has already rolled a Spell resistance test and facing a 5S Stun, now get a Damage resistance test with his body?

2) What do the extra successes do? Their are 6 in this case, so doesn't it knock the target unconcsious (since the damage is staged to 5D) then overflow into a medium physical as well?

Thanks

The target rolls its willpower against the force of the spell, which looks like a 4. Any successes subtract from the successes of the spellcasting test. The final damage is based on the base damage of the spell, raised up by 1 level for every 2 successes. If the target gets equal or more successes, the spell does NOT take effect (unless it was an elemental manipulation spell, in which case it is a standard ranged attack). There is no additional body resistance test.

In the case of elemental manipulations, successes are based on a TN of 4 with standard ranged attack test using Sorcery dice to "aim and fire". The target gets body resistance plus impact armor helps reduce the force of the attack.

I don't believe extra successes really do anything, unless you are playing a variant of deadlier overdamage rules.
Fortune
QUOTE (Streak @ Mar 15 2005, 01:43 AM)
1)  Does the target who has already rolled a Spell resistance test and facing a 5S Stun, now get a Damage resistance test with his body?

No. There is no Damage Resistance test after the Spell Resistance test.

Manaball does Physical damage, not Stun! If, as you said, he cast the spell at Force 4 [S], and got 6 net successes, then the spell would be staged to Deadly damage. In this case, even if the spell were cast at Light, it would have been staged to Deadly with 6 net successes.
Dawnshadow
1) I do not believe so -- I don't remember canon, but I know I've never gotten to in a game wink.gif

2) Stages up to 5D. Manaball is physical damage, so target is dead.

If you mean your player cast STUNBALL or STUNBOLT, then it's stun damage, and remains at deadly stun damage. Stun damage does not stage up from D stun to L physical to M physical. It remains D stun. I don't believe the optional house rules for Deadlier Overdamage affect stun, but if you want to rule it that way, then it would do 2 boxes of physical damage as well.
toturi
No Damage Resistance after spell resistance.

1) No.

2) No, unless Deadlier Over-Damage is in effect in your games.
Streak
Ah you'll have to forgive me ... i just woke up ... not had my coffee yet! wink.gif It was a Stunball he cast not manaball .... lol

toturi
Even so, my answers to your questions remain the same.
BitBasher
If you mean your player cast STUNBALL or STUNBOLT, then it's stun damage, and remains at deadly stun damage. Stun damage does not stage up from D stun to L physical to M physical. It remains D stun. I don't believe the optional house rules for Deadlier Overdamage affect stun, but if you want to rule it that way, then it would do 2 boxes of physical damage as well.
As a note, Deadlier overdamage doesn't work that way either. There is no staging like L, M, S when staging over 10 boxes of damage. If you get sucesses past deadly then for each two sucesses you get an extra single box of damage. That's it. If you get an extra 6 sucesses beyond deadly you get an extra 3 boxes of damage, no more.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Streak)

1) Does the target who has already rolled a Spell resistance test and facing a 5S Stun, now get a Damage resistance test with his body?

Thanks

The only time they'd get to make a spereate Damage Test is if they got some secondary effects like Elemental Fire that caused them to sustain damage over more than just the moment the spell went off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012