Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A question for you GMs out there!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Streak
I had a situation in my last gaming session come up where a PC lifted a credstick from an NPC while he was unconscious, no problem there noone was around. Later he made it back to the vehicle with the TEAM, they are all members of Lonestar SWAT, he slipped it into his personal area on the vehice. Now, during the ride back the other's were whooping it up so to speak happy to have successfully completed the mission and no casualities, so he had a necessary disctration.

1) Now, would you have the Pc make a Open Test Stealth roll and allow the other's to make perception tests against it? Or would you have the PC make a stealth test and the others intelligence tests and compare the rolls individually versus one another... basically Opposed tests? Just an opinion question ....

Thanks
Kagetenshi
Open roll to set TN with appropriate modifiers. I'd also require two successes to consider the possibility that it's a credstick, probably three for decisive identification.

~J
Backgammon
I'd go with Open also, with following modifiers: Watcher distracted and Small object. So say the guy rolls a 10 on his open test, I'd add +4 for distraction and +2 for small object, so the TN to the perception test would be 16.

If you want to be extra mean to the character making the stealth test (and this is more like a "house rule"), you could also have the other guys roll Perception against half the guy's Open Test score to notice if he's "acting funny". So in this case, it'd be TN 5 + Distracted (+4) = TN 9. So that's two tests. Just an idea I had.

Note: There are official numbers for Distracted and small object I think in SR3 under the Perception table. These are just what I would have called as a lazy GM that doesn't want to look in the books.
Streak
Thanks for the responses guys ... i am still stumbling through the books and make some judgement calls on the spot ... but i try to "review" them afterwards to set precendent for future situations. That is why i posted this topic ....

GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Streak)
I had a situation in my last gaming session come up where a PC lifted a credstick from an NPC while he was unconscious, no problem there noone was around. Later he made it back to the vehicle with the TEAM, they are all members of Lonestar SWAT, he slipped it into his personal area on the vehice. Now, during the ride back the other's were whooping it up so to speak happy to have successfully completed the mission and no casualities, so he had a necessary disctration.

1) Now, would you have the Pc make a Open Test Stealth roll and allow the other's to make perception tests against it? Or would you have the PC make a stealth test and the others intelligence tests and compare the rolls individually versus one another... basically Opposed tests? Just an opinion question ....

Thanks

If he was tring to be Stealthy, I'd use the Open Test with some conditional modifiers, then allow the Team make Perception Tests if absolutly neccessary. I'd also factor into the mix that most everyone has a credstick so how is checking out "your own" credstick anything that needs to be concealled?

As a side note, there is an on-going "Open Test vs. Success Test" war that brews it's head with reguards to Stealth and more generically the Open Test and many people's dislike of it's "less consistant" results.
RedmondLarry
Once in the vehicle I'd allow the character to do it without any rolls, even if it was a rolex watch, a silver spoon, or a pair of expensive sunglasses. After all, when others are not suspicious and not paying attention it is easy to manipulate things like that.

And a credstick, doubly so. Once he's unbottened his jacket he can pretend its his own credstick (unless its color gives it away) and no one would pay the slightest attention to him saying 'I wonder if I have enough for pizza" and putting it 'back' under his jacket.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012