Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadow Fortress
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Perssek
Well, my runners accepted the suggestion of playing my super-hero oriented campaign, inspired by Shadowrun Supplementalīs The Good Fight. I call the campaign Shadows of Redemption. Cheesy, but I like it.

First thing they do is to find a common base of operations (they live scattered among the Redmond Barrens). After some search and contact-squeezing, they find a little unfinished mall in the Pullyap that serves them well. Unfortunately, thereīs a Go-Gang living there, and they wonīt stop terrorizing the local population and leave the place just because the runners asked them politely.

So, they made a cleaning plan. After dealing with the community leaders, the teamīs mercenaries bulit an action plan, aided by a friendly go-gang and went on some sweet, kid-gloves-off, guilt-free ass-kicking. After the gangers were turned into a bloody mess (literally speaking, with the aid of AP missiles, HMGs and two drones), they made a non-agression and protection pact with the local community and started to do some Seattle-styled Changing Rooms.

The mall is 80x40 meters, with a basement garage, two levels and a top level with a transparent dome. They already reinforced the two main doors, put some steel-ferrocrete posts to stop cars from running into the doors, bullet-proof windows and rewired the communications, water and power grid so it could actually work (they have and NPC decker - nobody in the party wants to be a decker - whoīs a hardware and eletronics expert).

Thereīs also a reinforced door in the garage that leads to the sewers (the previous owners used it to leave and enter undetected), and another that leads to the top. They have a power generator (fueled by gas) and now theyīre thinking what to put in security terms (you know: cameras, automatic guns, the likes).

They have about 300,000 nuyen.gif (that the team was saving for a rainy day, after A LOT of missions), and want to spent it all in the base.

Any suggestions?
toturi
You could use the Lifestyle rules rules in Sprawl Survival Guide for more ideas.
Sandoval Smith
If you can track down the Corporate Security Handbook that should be able to give you a lot of ideas for things that can be done, although the runners themselves might not have access to a lot of the gear mentioned.
Weredigo
two words for ya, Underground Parking
Smiley
Or go for the full secret underground lair.

Hmmm...
Sandoval Smith
I think people are going to notice if the entire mall suddenly vanishes into a hole in the ground.
kevyn668
Well, it is the Barrens...
Perssek
Ohhh, I have the Corporate Security Handbook! So thatīs what itīs good for! Hmmm, pity itīs everything so expensive, but itīs not my nuyen, is it? Gonna pick a few things their fixers could put the hands into and make a list for them.

QUOTE (Weredigo)
two words for ya, Underground Parking
QUOTE (Smiley)
Or go for the full secret underground lair.

Initially, they thought of going FULL underground, but then somebody had the idea of putting castle-style arrow slits in the roof with HMGs, and they went for it like lemmings for a cliff. Go figure (also, there was some TMNT jokes that helped in the later choice).

QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
I think people are going to notice if the entire mall suddenly vanishes into a hole in the ground.

In the middle of the Pullyaps? You sure? The Seattle Metroplex Urban Comission EVER even looked at sattelite pictures of it? I donīt think so. Well, maybe Iīm wrong. Maybe they are worried people, who cares about the social and economic impacts of a bankrupted-and-never-finished little mall dissapearing from day to night.

And maybe fire elementals come flying out of my drek factory. biggrin.gif
Zolhex
Why make the mall disappear? just use the underground garage as a base rent out the upper area to the locals as a kind of flea market.

Tis better this way cause you get free of charge an early warring detection system the shops owners and customers.

Add to that more secure (I would think the garage is made from good quality ferrocreat it does after all hold up the top floors) limited access to need securing doors up and the main car entrance.

Building a high barrier rating wall into the garage has got to be cheaper that trying to secure that dome on the second floor.

Add hydraulic doors with key pads, retinal scanners, and palm readers you get secure doors toss in some cameras and pop down turrets with medium to heavy full auto fire weapons (be kind use gel rounds) no one is gonna knock on the door twice unless they know for sure they are good with you.

For good measure toss in one of those detector walls like in total recall only make sure it can detect all types of weapons and cyber/bio ware.

And all of this should cost less than 300k the most expensive thing I would think is the detector wall.
toturi
My group pooled their money and put in the most cost-effective counter-intrusion security measures that combines the best from the zero zones that they have been in. They have a live-in trog gang and otaku tribe as a security force, since one of the members of the team is the leader of the gang and his sister is an otaku. There is also an aspected power site too. But and here is the clincher, if and when the enemy penetrates into the innermost parts of the fortress they find themselves back in square one in a jungle, complete with Insect Spirit Juggernauts(yes, they added those from the one I threw at them while on a run).
Sandoval Smith
I meant to use the Handbook more to just give you ideas than use as a shopping guide, but if you see anything you wouldn}'t mind giving your players, then no reason they can't find it at a big 'fallen off the truck' sale.
Edward
I would start building at the bottom and work my way up.

Probably never get out of the basement car park. Leave the rest as unchanged as possible while installing a goodly number of hidden cameras. More than cameras can wait until they enter the basement.

Edward
Large Mike

Two things:

Firstly, insect spirit Juggernauts is *my* paranormal hunt idea. Go get your own. : P

Secondly, how in the hell are people going from (presumably) Seattle to some jungle? Seriously. I'm confused.
toturi
QUOTE (Large Mike @ Mar 15 2005, 07:35 PM)
Two things:

Firstly, insect spirit Juggernauts is *my* paranormal hunt idea.  Go get your own.  :  P

Secondly, how in the hell are people going from (presumably) Seattle to some jungle?  Seriously.  I'm confused.

1) The juggernauts are cybered toxic mutant juggernauts before they got invested by the insects(mantis in this case) and the cyber includes Battletac. Note: Juggernauts, plural. Did I forget to say that they have a contact/NPC ally who is a free Mantid Mother?

2) Alchera(which is under the control of the free Mantid Mother and its personal domain).
mintcar
Thatīs fragged up...

smile.gif
toturi
QUOTE (mintcar)
Thatīs fragged up...

smile.gif

Yes, for anyone I, as the GM, may send against the PCs.
Charon
Why do they even need an expensive base of operation just because they suddenly decide to fight the good fight? Because they love the Avengers and the Justice League?

If I'm a player who decides that his runner should start fighting against the Man, I would invest even less nuyen in my main base of operation, on account that it becomes more likely to get crashed by uninvited guest. After all, the victim of a run might write it off as business expenses but the victim of a crusade will want to shut you down.

If I have money to burn and decide to become Robin Hood, I'd spend my money on additional fake IDs, safehouse and developping a network of contact more appropriate to my new calling. I would not sink 300K in a big ass base of operation that would need to be abandonned after the first assault anyway.

---

EDIT : Well, if you have a patron that field the bill, like Asset Inc., it is another matter. But I wouldn't use my money on that kind of crappy investment. I'd be better off buying HP stock.
Cynic project
Look, I would say that in the game I am in, my character is going to try to make the world a better place. He spend about half his money on rebel factions in Aztlan. But even if or when he goes all "hero" like, he will not be trying to take down the corps, but rather trying to make a small part of the world a better place.

What I am trying to say is, the best way runners can change the world around them is not in head on fight with the corps. That would just get the runners killed. But to set goals,and to help a small chunk of the world . Like making sure that gangs don't bother this one area. Or maybe only working on runs they chose, or maybe working for a cause they belive. After all I gather that the DF wants a few good runners.

I mean take Wolf and Raven, they are heroes,and they do a lot of good, but they do so within the ideals that they are changing a small part of the world. They aren't going around the world saving the UCAS,they are mainly in the streets, stopping gang wars, or saving one life at a time. Now other hand you can look at what Ryan, or Talon.. does and you can see that they should be shot dead. Just shot dead. They are put in places that should leave them dead, and have plot immunity.

But that is enough ranting and raving.

So, they want to be super heroes. They want a base.. Well, here is tricky thing.Do they want a base that will repel all but full on millatry actions? Or do they want one that will keep them safe enough from most counter strikes but keep the resources they save to use on other things?
Perssek
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
I meant to use the Handbook more to just give you ideas than use as a shopping guide, but if you see anything you wouldn}'t mind giving your players, then no reason they can't find it at a big 'fallen off the truck' sale.

Oh, donīt worry - thatīs what Iīm doing. Their NPC team member (the decker security elf) has a LOT of security contacts, and he can give them access to some of the lesser top-corp stuff. When I said I was going to make a list, I meant a list of what was possible for runners with good contacts to acquire - which is their case. Not everything and the kitchenīs sink with the rigged blender.

QUOTE (Cynic project)
Look, I would say that in the game I am in, my character is going to try to make the world a better place (...) What I am trying to say is, the best way runners can change the world around them is not in head on fight with the corps. That would just get the runners killed. But to set goals,and to help a small chunk of the world. Like making sure that gangs don't bother this one area. Or maybe only working on runs they chose, or maybe working for a cause they belive.

Thatīs about what they are trying to do. They kicked the asses of some treatening gang of a terrorized neighbourhood, and now all they need is cooperation and support of the community. In return, theyīll protect them from most external enemies and treats (gangers, tax collectors, paranormal animals smaller than a insect spirit Juggernauts, the likes). Itīs good for them, good for the community, and they are in a major character development tone right now. Seems better to me.

QUOTE (Charon)
If I have money to burn and decide to become Robin Hood, I'd spend my money on additional fake IDs, safehouse and developping a network of contact more appropriate to my new calling. I would not sink 300K in a big ass base of operation that would need to be abandonned after the first assault anyway.  Why do they even need an expensive base of operation just because they suddenly decide to fight the good fight? Because they love the Avengers and the Justice League?

Well, I guess they like the idea of what the Avengers and the Justice League would be in an awakened world. Iīm thinking this can escalate into a high-power campaign (and Iīm going for it), and they like the idea and the mood. We had a lot of real-world-with-superheroes campaigns in the past, and it was really enjoying for all of us.

Your point - which I donīt criticize, for it is a much more subtle and compatible approach to the real nature of SR - isnīt what they want. They want to make a visible difference, they want to be shadowy heroes. More Punisher than Batman, but with the batcave thrown in, just for fun. They want to be protectors, pacifiers and community heroes, while they trash the dark path of shadowruns - maybe to equalize for the work they do for the big corps (fighting their invisible wars where collateral damage is such a commonplace that itīs not even registered in their monthly budget reports), or maybe they just want to be the good guys once in a while.

The Good Fight gave me a lot of ideas on this, and I think theyīll give me the space to make use of them. So yeah, youīre probably right. Maybe theyīll have to leave in a hurry the place where they buried most of their sweated money, but again, maybe not.

And surely not without a fight to the last bullet, dikoted spur and anti-tank missile.
Perssek
QUOTE (Cynic project)
So, they want to be super heroes. They want a base.. Well, here is tricky thing. Do they want a base that will repel all but full on millatry actions? Or do they want one that will keep them safe enough from most counter strikes but keep the resources they save to use on other things?

The second option, by all means. Itīs a safe place for them to keep all their goodies and makes things easier when they have a meeting with Mr. Johnson.

Also, I think that my wife (who plays an english hot babe ex-singer ex-hooker elf street sam dikoted to the bone) wants to have everybody living in toghether so she can have a SR version of Friends.

Yeah, I know, but sheīs my wife, man!

That and I hate sleeping in our lumpy and small couch.
Charon
QUOTE (Perssek @ Mar 15 2005, 10:52 PM)
Well, I guess they like the idea of what the Avengers and the Justice League would be in an awakened world. Iīm thinking this can escalate into a high-power campaign (and Iīm going for it), and they like the idea and the mood.

They want to make a visible difference, they want to be shadowy heroes. More Punisher than Batman, but with the batcave thrown in, just for fun.

The thing is, even in the four color world of superheros, there is a certain justification to the Batcave and the avenger mansion. Bruce Wayne is rich. The Avengers are funded on Tony Stark's fortune and have some government support. The more realistic 'Ultimate' version of the team has them as a US defense initiative funded by the government.

So basically, the batcave approach financed by scraps of money put together by the team is less 'realistic' than that of the Avengers and yet is set in a more 'realistic' gaming universe... It's quite a dichotomy.

The obvious solution to me is that they need a sponsor. The closest thing to the avengers in canon SR are Assets Inc. , the high powered runner team of the Draco Fundation. They got a base, a powerful funder (formerly Dunkie, now his fundation) and they seem to routinely save the world.

You probably need something like that. Someone with deep pocket and a benevolent agenda recruiting the team to fight the good fight. The patron becomes the equivalent of a Johnson and his wealth becomes the plot device that prevent the team's effort from grinding to a halt whenever they suffer a major financial set back. And let's face it, if you run for the good fight, every run is a financial set back.
toturi
I agree with Charon about the expense a Batcave or an Avenger Mansion would cost. But you could consider instead a Turtle Lair, a Lo-Hi Tech base.

Or use magic like me. With an Alchera, the invaders of the base could suddenly find themselves in a jungle when they finally get pass the physical defenses of your base and find themselves back where they started at first when they get pass the defenses in the jungle.
Tal
Abandoned fun-house. Classic creepy clown faces all over the place.
Dog
I'll throw my hat in with the idea that establishing a 'base' with armed defenses and all is a bad idea. Any conflict that will involve the use of HMG's is eventually gonna get the attention of the cops or the guard, and then 300k of security won't do a thing.

Having gotten that off of my chest, I suggest you defend the place with the environment. Make nice with all of the locals, and buy them some cell phones so that they can call you if they see trouble coming. Instead of renting space out to other runners and gangs, offer it as emergency space to people in need. Win the people over and you have the best alarm system there is. But I guess they're already on that path.
Keep all of your good junk hidden, maybe near that underground tunnel. If anyone comes by to check it out, just stash your stuff in the tunnel and camouflage the enterance. Go all 'Hogan's Heroes' about it. Hide stuff in the walls.
Don't give anyone a reason to want to hit the place. Don't clean up. Use misdirection. Take another unused building a block away and clean it up and put some fake armor over the windows.
"What address was this place? Oh, never mind, I see it."
DocMortand
Dog's suggestion is good - but go one better. After winning over the locals, tell cautious locals where your "base" is - which is a place you fortify. Tell another batch of locals a different location - which you fortify. Tell another batch a different location - which you fortify. Use indirection to confuse and lead hostile forces away, then hit them from a misleading direction, leading the survivors away from your base.

Misdirection and confusion. Those will be your best and above all CHEAPEST ways to defend your base. And direct approach will eventually bring direct confrontation and will eventually lead to overwhelming force being applied.

Read Sun Tzu - he's good with that sorta thing. smile.gif
torzzzzz
Player base is asking for trouble,

1) magnet for every racket going, 'hay chumma you owe me for not trashing the place'......'and me'......'and me'....'and me!'
2) The phrase 'don't put your eggs in one basket' springs to mind!
3) Devious GM with a lust for explosives, just have a common meeting place wouldn't set up a base, we got screwed doing that!

Lone star....'hmm allot of movement round that abandoned place... think I will take a look'

Up too you but past experience for me has shown it not to be a good idea!

torz x smile.gif
Perssek
First of all, thanks for everybody being so helpful with your views and ideas about the base - even when I donīt agree, I see you got a point in there. So thanks, really.

Second: The main point of many people here was - and I donīt disagree with them - that the base is too obvious (even having the locals on your side), and the money problem, as Charon points out:

QUOTE (Charon)
So basically, the batcave approach financed by scraps of money put together by the team is less 'realistic' than that of the Avengers and yet is set in a more 'realistic' gaming universe... It's quite a dichotomy.

Yeah, youīre right. Wonīt fight that. But who said SR was a "realistic" universe? I remember when I started playing GURPS Black Ops, and the guys in our local (and now defunct) RPG Forum said it was "absurd and unbelievable". Having hundreds of 800 points uber-agents running around the world fighting alien invaders, Things Man Was Not Meant to Know and paranormal beasts wasnīt something they could accept easily.

But we live (well, at least in SR terms) where dragons not only soar through the skyes, but also through the stock market. Where almost all of South America is united under a metahuman government. Where people can be one with the machine (in more ways that you can think of). Where physical adepts do things we only see in Hong Kong Action Theatre Hour.

If your can accept a New York City where you canīt walk three blocks without seeing a guy dressed like a rhinoceront (a rhinoceront, for godīs sake!) kicking patrol cars aside while being chased by flying people in high-tech armor - and still having to use a fragginī PC computer to do your homework, the rest is easy.

So whatīs the problem? Wait and see.

QUOTE (Dog)
I'll throw my hat in with the idea that establishing a 'base' with armed defenses and all is a bad idea. Any conflict that will involve the use of HMG's is eventually gonna get the attention of the cops or the guard, and then 300k of security won't do a thing.

Yes, now thereīs the problem. Itīs too obvious. Where the funding problem (a thing theyīll have to take care of alone, because I wonīt be giving free lunch along the way) is just a "minor detail" (at least, until they become something like Assets Inc.), the obvious fortress calls for trouble.

But again, I want to point: they are after trouble. Eventually, Lone Star or anybody else who cares about that black powder cloud hanging forever over a section of Pullyap will be too curious and will want to take a closer look. Or maybe itīs that insisting glow that comes from a shining thousand ejected brass cartridges filling the streets nearby. I donīt know yet.

Then they will have a problem. It may be sooner than they expect it, but again, it may be not.

Like I said, Iīm only the GM. Iīm not one of the PCs. If they want to build an Avengersī mansion-style hideaway, itīs their money. I only tell where to buy the bricks and provide the contractorīs name. Itīs their money, itīs their life, and itīs their game. I play for them, not with them. Sometimes against them, but only when I have to. When Iīm Lone Star, or a offended Mr. Johnson, or any of a hundred rivals. Until there, I only provide the landscape and their supporting cast.

Somebody said that putting all their eggs in one basket was asking for trouble too much - and theyīre right. My PCs may be stupid, but not too much. They kept the nice apartment of my wifeīs Sammy as a weapons and tech cache, and a last resource garage rented from a friend to stock some of their vehicles.

The whole point here is: they want to be heroes. Not super-heroes. But thereīs some flavour in looking a little like super-heroes. They want to go that way. No problem to me. I think it may be funny. Even if they waste everything in the first time they are assaulted by a bunch of Lone Star FRT and/or SWAT teams, it will be fun. Even if they die, even if everything goes wrong. They learn that mistake, and their next characters wonīt do that mistake again.

Then theyīll do new ones.

Oh, and I read Sun Tzu. Hope they did too.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (torzzzzz @ Mar 16 2005, 05:20 PM)

1) magnet for every racket going, 'hay chumma you owe me for not trashing the place'......'and me'......'and me'....'and me!'

Except given the setup as the GM gave us...

"Hey drekhead, you see those bloodstains on the concrete? Those're from the go-gang that _used_ to chill here. You see all those people gathering around outside? The ones with the bats, the lead pipes, and the guns? The ones conviently standing in between you and those nice wheels you pulled up in? Those are the neighbors, who're we're protecting because shucks, we're nice people, and _not_ extorting money from. I'll tell _you_ what chummer, hand over your credsticks, your boots, your pants, that nice jacket you're wearing, and the keys to those wheels, and we'll let you _walk_ out of here. And if we ever see your face around here again, the last anyone else is ever going to see of it will be when the bodybag is zipped up. Now start walking before I send someone to wake up Bubba the luv troll and tell him that you want to make his 'acquaintance.' "

Since this thread was started by the GM, he and certainly not sounding like his plan is to screw the players over hard core, I don't really see a problem with setting up a permanent base.

*edit*
I forgot about the smart ass reply.

"Oh noes! Did you hear that guys? He's going to bust up our abandoned, unfinished shopping mall! Oh please Mr. Toughguy, _anything_ but that! We just got the empty storefronts the way we wanted them!"
hahnsoo
Honestly, I can see the idea of a team base taking away from the RP experience. It's fun to have a residence that's like the "Hall of Justice" or "batcave", but if you spend too much time thinking about it, it becomes cumbersome and detracts from actually playing. It should be something you should "set and forget". Just set up a small permanent safehouse using the rules in SSG, and then get on with playing, I say.
Perssek
Hey, Sandoval, thanks for the comment. I Couldnīt put in more direct words what would happen if any drekhead came in looking for trouble.

Just so you know: the battle for the abandoned mall included several spent cartridges of LMGs around the streets, two stray missiles (that hit an apartment building and a shop). The neighbourhood was in pieces (not a lot of victims. They alerted the community earlier, giving them time to leave their houses), and they paid for the repairs, the lost merchandise and indenization for two familiy heads that were wounded and couldnīt work for a month.

The community now almost loves them, and truly trusts them.

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
It's fun to have a residence that's like the "Hall of Justice" or "batcave", but if you spend too much time thinking about it, it becomes cumbersome and detracts from actually playing.

But thatīs the main idea, hahnsoo - to make life easier for them, having al their stuff toghether, being everybody close to answer a mission call and to get guns and gear. Thatīs about it. They wonīt spend more attention than that to the fortress. Itīs prop, a gimmick - not the reason of the campaign or of their lifes.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
QUOTE (torzzzzz @ Mar 16 2005, 05:20 PM)

Except given the setup as the GM gave us...

"Hey drekhead, you see those bloodstains on the concrete? Those're from the go-gang that _used_ to chill here. You see all those people gathering around outside? The ones with the bats, the lead pipes, and the guns? The ones conviently standing in between you and those nice wheels you pulled up in? Those are the neighbors, who're we're protecting because shucks, we're nice people, and _not_ extorting money from. I'll tell _you_ what chummer, hand over your credsticks, your boots, your pants, that nice jacket you're wearing, and the keys to those wheels, and we'll let you _walk_ out of here. And if we ever see your face around here again, the last anyone else is ever going to see of it will be when the bodybag is zipped up. Now start walking before I send someone to wake up Bubba the luv troll and tell him that you want to make his 'acquaintance.' "

Since this thread was started by the GM, he and certainly not sounding like his plan is to screw the players over hard core, I don't really see a problem with setting up a permanent base.

*edit*
I forgot about the smart ass reply.

"Oh noes! Did you hear that guys? He's going to bust up our abandoned, unfinished shopping mall! Oh please Mr. Toughguy, _anything_ but that! We just got the empty storefronts the way we wanted them!"

All I can say to that is gleaming! - would have loved to have been there to see that!

torz x grinbig.gif LOL
Perssek
Funny thing about "Bubba the Luv troll" image Sandoval gave us, is that we do have a troll in the team, and that he has some... problems.

First real mission they had was DNA/DOA (I tend to use published adventures along the campaign). When they entered Aztech labs, they found two guards (orks), who were promptly put to sleep thanks to our mage and two narcojet darts. The rest of the team went on searching the rest of the room (they entered through a maintenance access into a holding cell with the Ork guards), while the Troll, called Sledgehammer (no, he doesnīt carry one), stayed to "make sure the prisioners were secure".

When the team returned, to leave the place from where they entered, they found the guards naked, with their socks in their mouths, and tied with their belts in a classic bondage position.

One of the players mustered the courage to ask, "Did we came too early?"

From now on, everytime they have a prisioner, and proceed to interrogation, they first tell him this story (adding some colour to it), while olī Sledge starts to make a ball with a pair of socks...

Works every time.
fistandantilus4.0
That's just wrong.

Capacitance wire is a good, and genreally unobtrusive way to setup an alarm. And hard to bypass. If they just cut the wire, the current loss would be noticed. And it's cheap!

Also, friendly Mr. Mage can take the shape earth spell and make some nifty tunnels of his own. just make sure he includes some sort of knowledge skill about support systems so the damn thing doesn't fall on his head.

One my Gargoyle shaman is trying.

Virtuoso metamagic - bunch of gargoyls statues he made and placed on his abandoned factory/home to up the back ground count in his favor. yes, it's basically a big ritual link to him, but if they get past his defenses and get chance to do a full on ritual, he's pretty screwed anyways. Besides they can just as easliy find some hairs or something inhis bed if they can get into his home in the first place. Makes for a nice edge in any kind of magical conflict.

Looks cool too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012