Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Legality, fines, and punishments.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pthgar
Are the punishments (or lack of) for owning or carrying pistols totally federalized or are they still up to the various states? I can't remember if "Target:UCAS" or ant of the other North American "place" books have different tables for this. Any help is appreciated.
Paul
No, not even today, let alone in 20xx.
Pthgar
That,s why I asked. I just thought that the new UCAS might have taken the opportunity of a new constitution to federalize some "problem areas."
Dawnshadow
Um.. depends on if the UCAS follows US law or Canadian law wink.gif

Canadian law the punishments are federalized, same with all Criminal offences.. it's only the civil stuff that varies province to province.
Crimsondude 2.0
The only thing Canadian about the UCAS is that they got listed first in the new country's name.

There are very few criminal offenses in the U.S. federal system relative to the states, and it would counteract 250 (at the time of unification) years of a limited federal government, and cause a revolt amonst ALL of the states, if that happened. Which is why it didn't, as evidenced by the UCAS Constitution being almost identical to the U.S. copy, including the Bill of Rights, and including the 9th and 10th Amendments.

BTW, there should also be an 11th Amendment eqv. in the UCAS Constitution somewhere, although I would have just put it in the text of the new doc.
Sandoval Smith
Just to keep from wanting to pull out hair in frustration, I would say that fines and punishment are consistant across the entire UCAS.
Paul
But that's what makes the legal system so much fun. Because it doesn't want to save you the frustration, and so nether should a good GM. Make the players sweat a little.
Pthgar
I mentioned in an another thread that one way to sweat the players is this. If they've got the right permits and their guns are legal, do they have the right permits for their ammo? Each round in a weapon is a seperate offense. So 15 rnds of APDS in a pistol is 15 counts.
Also I believe (I could be wrong) that in RL, committing a violent crime while wearing body armor is an automatic federal offense. This may not have changed in 20xx. How many runners leave the armored undies at home?
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Paul)
But that's what makes the legal system so much fun. Because it doesn't want to save you the frustration, and so nether should a good GM. Make the players sweat a little.

No, my comment was about saving a GM frustration. Whether the players are in Milwaukee, Seattle, Boston, or New Orleans, I don't want to have to go hunting for extra tables of legal codes, just to harass the players. I've got better things to do with all of our time.
Paul
Now see I can see where you're coming from, but I don't bother with looking jack up. If I catch them, they'll get what I give them (Yeah it doesn't hurt I'm a Corrections Officer with an avidinterest in the law, and a few of my players are cops, one is aspiring to be a lawyer, yadda yadda...smile.gif ) for the good of the plot.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012