Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mechwarrior dark age all over again?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MidnightGhost
I am seeing a lot of similarities here, and they are a little scary.

1. A major disaster that allows a major change to the game.

2. A new "streamline" rules set.

3. A time jump to "write out" old charcters so they won't be around to conflict with the new storyline ...

Now I'm all for "improving" the rules. But my big question is what about the meta plot. I have heard that people at fanpro are not fans of immortal elves and great dragons... so this new edition kind of worries me, but as long as Lofwyr doesn't get axed like big D I'll still be willing to give it a try.

Has any word been said about the mega corps or any of the background charcters?
Pthgar
If Fanpro aren't fans of GDs why did they publish Dragons of the Sixth World and Survival of the Fittest? It seems to me that they made peace with the GDs at least, if not with the IEs.
moosegod
Weren't both of those already produced by FASA when FanPro bought them? Or in production or whatever?

The wireless matrix is seriously going to cramp Lofwyr's style. REF: SoE.
Synner
QUOTE (moosegod)
The wireless matrix is seriously going to cramp Lofwyr's style. REF: SoE.

On the other hand, who stands to win the most?
moosegod
Just about every European? What was Mina Graff-Beliot's source of funding again? Or am I being too obvious.
moosegod
CELEDYR! ARRGH!
hermit
CELEDYR! ARRGH!

smile.gif

Still beats the idea of them dropping GDs entirely, does it?

Besides, they have a fan base, which, like all fan bases, is conservative. So long as FanPro doesn't go the path of DidS (and the current staff seems determined it won't) and really goes over the edge with bringing fantasy elements into SR, I think they can handle the world. They might tone down on IEs (who seemingly were Tom Dowd's favourite project, but I guess they wouldn't erase them from the world. That would be a bit lore-breaking.
MidnightGhost
Hermit,

what is Dids ?

I am hopefull that this is going to be a good change. But it's so hard to be optimistic after I have been betrayed by games like L5R, deadlands, and cyberpunk. Now my favorite game of all has announced a "major" change! I hope we get a preview or something. Stuffer shack for instance... biggrin.gif

Augest 19th is my birthday and I hope fanpro makes it a good one!
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (MidnightGhost)
what is Dids ?

Deutchland in der Schatten (I've probably mangled that, but some helpful soul will correct me, I'm sure) which translates into Germany in the Shadows. A sourcebook about Germany, written by Germans, and released for the German market.
Synner
And originally translated and (slightly) adapted as the English-language Germany sb. The German book was given a completely updated and revised edition a couple of years back in the shape of DidS2 - some of which was later used and updated in English in SoE.
MidnightGhost
I still a little sore about that book only being published in german. I bought the book even though I can't read or speak german. (I belive in supporting your game company besides I may learn german someday heh.) I'm still trying to find a english translation of lofwyr's fight with nightmaster.... hey here is a idea they should release a english version of that book in PDF!

I don't know if Fanpro can survive if they make big change and their fans don't like it. after all every other game system that has tried it either bombed or changed back. (with two notible exceptions white wolf and D20) As I understand it they work on a pretty tight buget as it is. this seems like a big risk to take... I'm glad it's not my job on the line.

hermit
Hermit,

what is Dids ?

Geez, sorry! Damn codein is making my brain all murky ... Germany SB/Deutschland in den Schatten.

I've probably mangled that, but some helpful soul will correct me, I'm sure

Heh, replace an 'r' with an 'n' and all is in order. German grammar is a bit difficult to get right, though, so don't be ashamed or anything. Even natives often cannot get the cases right.

originally translated and (slightly) adapted as the English-language Germany sb.

Hahahah! Slightly de-stupidified, rather. Did that Berlin cannibal restaurant make it? I sure hope not ... though the Munster Theocracy chapter was even worse. *shudders*

Haven't bought DidS 2 yet, so I cannot say if it sucks as bad as DidS does. I sure hope not, though. And at least, the Germany chapter in SoE was comparably decent, considering what DidS gave you to work with. smile.gif
Little Bill
QUOTE (MidnightGhost)
I am hopefull that this is going to be a good change. But it's so hard to be optimistic after I have been betrayed by games like L5R, deadlands, and cyberpunk.

A bit off-topic, but are you aware that a new edition of L5R is coming out this May, and it's not d20?
MidnightGhost
Actually yes I am . biggrin.gif and I'm looking forward to the return of the ultra lethal D10 systems return.

They would a example of a game switching back after the company realized fans hated the new system. The question is can fanpro take that kind of profit loss for a year or two?
Adarael
You're not the only one who feels betrayed by L5R's changes. I'm friends with the old line editor, Ree Soesbee, and I believe her definining quote on the subject was: "I tried to tell great stories and make heroes, and make a beautiful world. And they've torn it up and shat on it." Or something fairly similar to that.
Fortune
QUOTE (moosegod)
Weren't both of those already produced by FASA when FanPro bought them? Or in production or whatever?

Neither of these books (DotSW and SotF) were in production, or even pre-production during the FASA days.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Pthgar)
If Fanpro aren't fans of GDs why did they publish Dragons of the Sixth World and Survival of the Fittest?

Because people would buy them?
Pthgar
Well, then why would they abandon a proven marketing strategy because of personal likes or dislikes? I think that if people buy them, books with IEs an GDs will be safe in the next edition. If tons of new players drawn in by the 4th ed don't want to have anything to do with GDs and IEs, they will fade.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 16 2005, 05:45 PM)
I've probably mangled that, but some helpful soul will correct me, I'm sure

Heh, replace an 'r' with an 'n' and all is in order. German grammar is a bit difficult to get right, though, so don't be ashamed or anything. Even natives often cannot get the cases right.

Yeah. I really should do better, seeing as how I took three years of it in Junior High&High School. Thing is, the only practical use I've had for those classes was the one time I got to tell some poor guy calling long distance that he had the wrong number.

That, and I know how to insult someone's cooking. German's not really the best language for that though. Italian, now that's a language to insult cooking in.
Demosthenes
Italian is a good language to insult anything in. You can say very little but go on, and on, and on, and on, and on....

And German isn't too bad for insulting anything either, especially if you feel like piling on the subordinate clauses.

As to GDs and IEs - Dowd was a bit too fond of them, I think, but they've played a big part in a lot of recent metaplot etc. I wouldn't think that SR is going to abandon them just because it's going back to a slightly more 'cyberpunk' feel...
DarkShade
I, for one, would LOVE it if they did. there is currently too much going around in SR, way too many magical metaplots, this has devalued magic to the point where it is nothign special, your typical shadowrunner has become jaded to the point not even a Great Dragon has much of an `oomph`factor.. and a non great dragon rates barely above a dog..

sr had a more cyberpunkish thing before, very similar to our real life world with some changes <magic/surge being the two biggest> but it worked the same way as the real one for most things.
Now with magic no longer being rare this is no longer true, and high powered plots are running amok all over the place, changing the world into a direction where to me it doesnt have the same flavour that shadowrun used to have, any move away from that would be a good one for me. I just hope they dont go d20... brrr.. frown.gif

DS
MidnightGhost
For me "flavor " always had more to do with how the GM ran the game then how it was written. Also that flavor came more from the books and shadowspeak then adventures IMO.

But magic is supposed to be growing in the world so I am interested to see how much it has become a part of the world in the 5 year gap, especially after tech failed the world again.

Bring back shadowrun novels.!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012