Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dragons on Animal Planet?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Demonseed Elite
I don't routinely watch Animal Planet, but I saw an advertisement for their upcoming show on dragons and I'm curious. Figured that someone else on this forum might find this intriguing too.
Backgammon
Nah. lick.gif
hermit
Haha, I watched that mockumentary before ... it's fun, really, though it's not really a Shadowrun-type dragon. More like a D&D-ish beast. But fun nonetheless. smile.gif
Cynic project
QUOTE (hermit)
Haha, I watched that mockumentary before ... it's fun, really, though it's not really a Shadowrun-type dragon. More like a D&D-ish beast. But fun nonetheless. smile.gif

Hey Big-D may show up with his charming smile...
Dog
I was 14 in a biology class taught by a guy who knew I was into D&D at the time (I'm not anymore, I swear!) When we had to do a research paper on an animal of our choice, I opted to write on dragons. Got a B, 'cause the teacher figured I did all kinds of research from fiction and mythology. Truth is, I made the whole thing up.
Exploiting the ignorance of others for 16 years.....
psykotisk_overlegen
This has been mentioned here awhile ago
Old thread

I might watch it if it turns up on one of my channels. But I don't watch that much TV, so it'll probably pass me by anyway.
shadow_scholar
I saw it, and I liked it. I think it was even narrated by Patrick Stewart, which was a nice surprise.
mintcar
Imagine how fun it would be to watch Animal Planet in the sixth world...
Nikoli
Forget that, I want to watch teh 2060 version of Steve Erwin
Smiley
"Oy, this Horned Bear is REALLY pissed now..."
Nikoli
"Krichy...."
Club
Forget the bears. The bugs and snakes are pure evil. And you do know what size sharks come in, right?

Is he still around, or has something made a snack out of him yet? I don't think I've seen him lately.
Nikoli
He's around, but the camera men are less apt to put up with animal shennanigans.

i remember one episode where he went for a swim with a salt-water crok (20+ feet at least). One scene has both Erwin and the croc in the shot, Erwin tugs at it's tail and it snaps, not at Erwin, but towards the camera. Next scene is just of the croc, from Erwin's POV...
mintcar
Damn. Steve Erwing Jr III, Paranimal Hunter. "Look at the size of those mandibles, what a beuuuudy". That would be a good character concept wouldn´t it? nyahnyah.gif
Smiley
Depends on how long you want that character to live.
toturi
Animal Empathy is a must.
Smiley
And a lot of Karma Pool.
Fortune
QUOTE (Club)
Is he still around, or has something made a snack out of him yet? I don't think I've seen him lately.

He's been spending a fair amount of time with his zoo ... and with his family. He has a relatively new baby. He also has a new dislike for the media after all the fuss about the baby/croc incident.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Nikoli)
"Krichy...."

No no no, that's 'Crikey!' Just ask Jes. biggrin.gif
Smiley
I just Googled him and it looks like he's working on a sequal to his movie. Hurrah!

[ Spoiler ]
Snow_Fox
I watched it, wasn't too impressed. the whole biology of the dragon explaining how they fly and breath fire was pretty much a rip off of a book I read years ago. The Flight of Dragons, by Peter Dickinson.
Lindt
Suck fest. I was looking fwd. to that being something interesting. I all ready read that book too.
Edward
QUOTE (Nikoli)
He's around, but the camera men are less apt to put up with animal shennanigans.

i remember one episode where he went for a swim with a salt-water crok (20+ feet at least). One scene has both Erwin and the croc in the shot, Erwin tugs at it's tail and it snaps, not at Erwin, but towards the camera. Next scene is just of the croc, from Erwin's POV...

Steve Erwin may look like he takes a lot of risks but he dose know what he is doing, proof of that can be found in the fact that he is still alive.

What surprises me about that seen is not what the crock did but that the camera man wasn’t 10-20 meters away with a zoom lens.

As the baby shots showed Steve also has some knowledge of camera angles. The first tape that came out made it look like the baby was within easy reach of the crock. The second (which on inspection was quite clearly the same event) was much clearer on eth positions, that crock would have had to go threw Steve to get to the kid.

Although the 2060’s version of the show would be cool it wouldn’t make a good character to play except in a media campaign focusing on shooting the show. You don’t see wild animals all that often in the game and media personalities in the shadows are a serious risk,

Edward
Snow_Fox
Irwin's real skill comes up in the episode he made with Rattlesnakes in the US. He was in his good ol boy mode with a coiled rattlesnake between him and the camera, "Look how she's curled up. I'm between her and her nest andshe isn't letting me get near her" Then the microphone picked up a 2nd rattle. He looked odwn and they had to edit what he said when he saw a 2nd snake between his legs and realized he'd squatted in a whole mess of them. The attitude dropped away and he carefully got out. He was calm and very very lucky. He later said it was one of the worst momments he's ever had with animals, but he was fearless without being stupid.

His show gets really good if you imagine he's trying to kill Terri and make it look like an accident.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012