Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh those pesky PCs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jrayjoker
Hi all,

I could use some help getting everyone in my new campaign on the same page. We plan on starting our campaign this weekend and so far I have come up with no rationalle for their working together except GM fiat. I am sure that would work for them, but I am reluctant to start that way unless absolutely necessary.

So far I have:

An Elven hermetic combat mage with the amnesia and hunted flaws (oh yeah, she's gonna regret that),
a Troll berzerker who feels no pain (What do you mean I'm unconscious?),
an Elven face/negotiator (go figure),
a Human infiltration decker (Samwise, "What are you doing Golum?" Golum, "Sneakin'!"),
and a sneak sammie.

[ Spoiler ]
Dog
Maybe they're related, or they came from the same gang or something. I would expect the players to help you out in determining why they work together, it's good for character development. That's my off-the-cuff answer, gimme a minute...

edit: Maybe give them a bonus contact, a fixer. The same fixer for all of them. They've all done small jobs for him in the past and he thinks they'd work well together. The fixer could turn out to be a toady for whoever you want then.

Maybe they choose to work together because they all happen to belong to the same rare ethnic group.

Did they all work together before entering the shadows, maybe?

Maybe the mage called them all together for his own reasons, but now forgets why...
Talia Invierno
Okay -- but I'm going to need a bit more about their personality and their motivations for running first. You've only given me what they are, not who they are.

Also, what contacts do each of them have? Contacts in common is one of the easiest ways of doing this.
Backgammon
If they all get hired for the same job, presto, a team.
Give them a common enemy. Someone is trying to kill them all. United they stand divided they fall.
They all have some weird thing in common: all served time in the same jail (yes' I'm readin SOTA64 right now wink.gif), all went to same grade school, etc. That should get them curious as to who hired them and why the strange connection.
Solstice
I usually have one or two of them be the "established runners" and the rest being kina "newbies" and have the fixer(s) of the "established runners" make them take the "newbies" with them as a favor. Or you could simply have the job need special skills thereby the johnson specifically asks for a certain runner and the fixer put them all together.
Dog
I feel for ya, though. How often has this come up in your games:

GM: "Okay, you hand over the loot for a reward and Mr. Johnson walks off. Whaddaya do now?"
Player 1: "I'm going to the pub."
Player 2: "I'm taking my car into the shop."
Player 3: "I'm looking on the matrix for the location of my sister."
GM: "Sure, then what."
Player 1: "What do you mean?"
GM: "Well, the next time you get together. What do you do?"
Player 2: "Next time we get hired, you mean?"
GM: "No, I mean do you go celebrate your victory at the bar, or meet to discuss what happened? Or plan your own run?"
Player 3: "No."
Player 2: "Why would I hang out with these guys?"
Player 1: "How would I know his sister?"
GM: <sigh>
Garland
That kind of situation is why I like to have a ringer in the group. I usually tap one of the players to help keep things together; arrange a mutual interest in something, offer to buy drinks for the group after the run, suggest "hey, let's head to the Stuffer Shack, I'm getting hungry." That sort of thing. In play it actually seems pretty low-key and natural. And it promotes good role-playing and I'm all for that.

Another good idea might be for the Johnson to offer to hide them after a run. That way they're all stuck in the same safehouse. Make it a dreky safehouse, so there are a myriad of small problems, like lots of canned-food but no can-openers, a bit nest of devil-rats in the basement, some gangers coming around to collect protection money (hey, no one told them it was a safe-house), a weird spirit in one of the upstairs bedrooms that won't stop making noise, the trid is locked onto Neo-QVC, the tap shoots out only scalding-hot rust-colored sludge, etc.

Make 'em stay for a couple days, and spring a problem on them about twice a day. The idea is to tailor the problems so that each of them has something to do (the techie can try to fix the trid, the decker can arrange better trid service, the troll can twist open those cans with his bare hands, the mage can try to get that spirit to shut the frag up, etc.) They'll either kill each other or end up as friends for life.

Just some thoughts.
DarkShade
the easy way? and it works REALLY well, is just ask the players to create a TEAM of runners as opposed to each his own character, they will interweave their backgrounds in ways that would be disruptive to them if you meddled with their backgrounds. then you just have to tweak it a little and presto! end result will be better AND the players will be happier.

dont give yourself more work than you have to, a gm`s life is overworked enough!!

DS
Edward
I admit it is a form of GM feat but I still like “your fixer calls you, a Johnson needs a teem and I think you will work well together, take 15 min to get to know one an other before the meet”.

In spite of being suspiciously similar to “you all meet in a pub” or “the town sherif posts a job advertisement” it dose actually make the most sense for a teem of shadow runners.

Your playing professional criminals in a big city. Unless there is some artificial reason to do so it doesn’t make sense for a new teem to trust one another, and they my well not cross paths between runs. I mean aside from work what dose my pacifist intellectual hermetic with a taste for classical music and an interest in alchemy have in cowmen with a troll street samurai that attends thrash mettle consorts and has a subscription to guns and ammo.

One character of mine has an innate dislike of shadow runners, he wants to spend his down time with his family and he isn’t going to let any runner trash near them.

Beyond the job and a drink to celebrate a job well done in the early parts of a campaign don’t expect much interaction. Once the teem trust each other (and trust takes a long time to earn) they may set up a communal safe house or start going on social outings (we had a party wedding but she participated in her husbands murder 2 sessions latter)

Edward
wagnern
Hire them for a run, I don't know common fixer exc. Then have the victum of the run frame them for something bad, I don't know, killing a cop or something. Now they must band together and prove there inocence / get back at the framer. The party is the only one they can trust, for all their contacts have 'hung them out to dry' not wanting to get messed up with a group of cop killers.

After this experience, they should hopefully have developed trust and bonds. Also, this would be a great diversion from the shadowrun formula (meet mr jonson, get job, haggel over payment, do run, meet mr jonson agian, mr jonson tries to double cross charictors, exc)
Weredigo
Sounds like you just need to set up a firefight at the "local" bar. Group is generally located in same area as some poor street sammy who's got a lotta nuyen on his head. other side of bar is a large group of "punks with predators" type opponents who all decide at the same time "Hey, there's a pretty fat paycheck sittin right there, let's collect." If the ensuing spree of gunfire and grenade tossing doens't pull them together the frantic run from the law afterwards should.
Charon
At the beginning of a campaign I usually give the the PCs a free common fixer contact.

And that's all there is to it, really.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Hi all,

I could use some help getting everyone in my new campaign on the same page. We plan on starting our campaign this weekend and so far I have come up with no rationalle for their working together except GM fiat. I am sure that would work for them, but I am reluctant to start that way unless absolutely necessary.

So far I have:

An Elven hermetic combat mage with the amnesia and hunted flaws (oh yeah, she's gonna regret that),
a Troll berzerker who feels no pain (What do you mean I'm unconscious?),
an Elven face/negotiator (go figure),
a Human infiltration decker (Samwise, "What are you doing Golum?" Golum, "Sneakin'!"),
and a sneak sammie.

[ Spoiler ]

Could be some connection with the mage, if she has amnesia she wont remember who she knows form the past....... on that note how bad is the amnesia? and if its bad douse she remember any of her spells? or that fact that she is a mage at all.

torz x wink.gif
Zephania
One of my pet player hates is PCs picking amnesia so they don't have to give their character background. Or saying they're "hunted" and not putting any effort into defining it.

The next player that come to me with one of these is in for a shock, they can do the background but I'll do the rest, they really wont know if they're a mage or a samourai untill they try. It will make for an interesting game and encourage them to be more creative "I think I'm a street sam but don't know why I woke up knitting a jumper?"
TheWinningLoser
For god's sake people, it doesn't matter anymore. Now you're all just being incompetent. I just thought it would be cool to hover around. That's all. I'm not using the focus to let me fight better, I'VE STILL GOT FEET! I don't need to fly everwhere. The whole reason me and Akai started this thread was to get some suggestions on how it would play out in a game if I wanted to use the spell on something. I don't exactly think I'm gonna need all this referencing, cross-referencing, cross-cross-referencing etc... I could do without the continuous debates and insults, all I needed was an idea or two. Find something better to do. Seriously. Look, if I wanted all this crap about whatever you guys are talking about now, (You lost me in all the quoting within quoting and quoting beyond that.)You only need to say whatever your idea is and SHUT THE HELL UP. If someone disproves you, oh well, it's not ripinng your balls off. Just accept the fact someone has a different idea, and if you want to argue about it, do it elsewhere. Stop wasting everyone's time.

In short.

I GET THE POINT, LEVITATE SHOULDN'T BE USED IN A FOCUS. IT'S OVERLY COMPLICATED AND UNCLEAR IN THE RULES. LET'S ALL GO POST SOMEWHERE ELSE. STOP RAVING ABOUT SOMETHING THAT WAS OVER TWO DAYS AGO.
Zephania
UH? Are you in the right thread?
Fortune
QUOTE (TheWinningLoser @ Mar 18 2005, 11:27 AM)
I GET THE POINT, LEVITATE SHOULDN'T BE USED IN A FOCUS. IT'S OVERLY COMPLICATED AND UNCLEAR IN THE RULES. LET'S ALL GO POST SOMEWHERE ELSE. STOP RAVING ABOUT SOMETHING THAT WAS OVER TWO DAYS AGO.

Nobody is forcing you to read the thread (even if this was the right one!). We here at Dumpshock come to discuss Shadowrun, sometimes at length. There is definitely no reason for you to be downright rude and insulting in your posts just because we choose to continue a discussion past the point when you personally do not want to be involved.

Besides, I think maybe you should actually read the thread in question. Most people posting on it do not think that using Levitate in a Sustaining Focus is overcomplicated or unclear.
kevyn668
QUOTE (TheWinningLoser)
For god's sake people, it doesn't matter anymore....<snip>

I'm sorry, but that was one of the funniest things I've seen here in days. rotfl.gif

...we had a party wedding but she participated in her husbands murder 2 sessions latter...

Oh no you don't, Ed. You GOTTA tell the story behind that one! smile.gif
Dog
I'm confused. Entertained, but confused....
Solstice
That Loser guy is on BTLs for sure....he doesn't even know where he is.
Solstice
QUOTE (TheWinningLoser)
You lost me in all the quoting within quoting and quoting beyond that.

So your calling everyone incompetent, yet you admit you can't understand their debate....that makes sense. biggrin.gif
CanvasBack
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Hi all,

Ok, how does this grab you? Give them a common enemy. No wait, hear me out. Giving the group a common enemy increases the likelihood that they'll want to work together against a common foe. It could be big, it could be small... It could start small, and end up big... The common foe could be unintentionally pissing in their Kool Aid or deliberating taking a shit in their pool. What the foe is doing and why is up to you. Hell, it could be simply a case of the enemy's goals being in direct opposition to the party's needs and being oblivious to the fact that their actions have consequences. Or, it could be more like the enemy flaw where somebody is out to get the PCs. That's my suggestion and I'm sticking to it.
Dog
Oh, I get it.
WL is suggesting that the mage is hunted by a guy with a levitation focus, who is so clearly hostile that the team must bond against him. nyahnyah.gif
kevyn668
Eh, cut the dude some slack. He's apparently new here.

It's still funny, though. biggrin.gif
SuperSpy
Have someone hire the Troll Berserker to kill the Mage with amnesia.

Make it so that the Face overhears the deal going down. Subtly suggest to the face that he/she might be able to make a little money by warning the Mage of his/her impending doom.

Make the Decker a contact of the Face that he/she can team up with to track down where the mage lives (or at least his/her phone number).

With the Mage properly warned, the three set up a (hopefully non-lethal) trap for the Troll.

The Mage will want to know who is behind the assasination. Try to make it obvious that with the little information that the Troll knows about his employer, all four of them can track down the Johnson, kill him/interogate him, and retrieve the money that the Troll was supposed to be paid for the run.

Obviously would take a bit of prodding from the GM to make it all work out in the end but could be fun.
Edward
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ Mar 18 2005, 09:08 AM)

...we had a party wedding but she participated in her husbands murder 2 sessions latter...

It may be a little of topic but I was asked. So I put the story in spoiler tags (if they work)

[ Spoiler ]
Sandoval Smith
Unless there are plot reasons otherwise, I tell players to work out how they know each other themselves. If they want to meet in a bar, so be it. If they want to work out a cohesive back story, even better (saves the hassle of coming up with reasons why they should hang out, and allows conflicting types to work out themselves why they get along, instead of the GM fiating it).
Jrayjoker
Thanks for all you ideas. I will be starting the campaign up tonight, and I'll let you all know how it goes down.

Oh and BTW, holy thread hijack! Funny especially because it was probably a complete accident.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (TheWinningLoser @ Mar 17 2005, 07:27 PM)
For god's sake people, it doesn't matter anymore. Now you're all just being incompetent. I just thought it would be cool to hover around. That's all. I'm not using the focus to let me fight better, I'VE STILL GOT FEET! I don't need to fly everwhere. The whole reason me and Akai started this thread was to get some suggestions on how it would play out in a game if I wanted to use the spell on something. I don't exactly think I'm gonna need all this referencing, cross-referencing, cross-cross-referencing etc... I could do without the continuous debates and insults, all I needed was an idea or two. Find something better to do. Seriously. Look, if I wanted all this crap about whatever you guys are talking about now, (You lost me in all the quoting within quoting and quoting beyond that.)You only need to say whatever your idea is and SHUT THE HELL UP. If someone disproves you, oh well, it's not ripinng your balls off. Just accept the fact someone has a different idea, and if you want to argue about it, do it elsewhere. Stop wasting everyone's time.

In short.

EH???

Ed cool story just the sort of thing I would do! - IC of course!! biggrin.gif
kevyn668
QUOTE (Edward)
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ Mar 18 2005, 09:08 AM)

It may be a little of topic but I was asked. So I put the story in spoiler tags (if they work)

[ Spoiler ]

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

Oh man!! That's great! I don't know if CLUE-worthy but it's damn funny. Thanks! smile.gif
Weredigo
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, and Heaven shall never be more pleasent then one satisfied.
Jrayjoker
Update:

I had the four male runners break up a potential rape of the unconscious female by the son of a Mafia Don who has a very bad reputation for that sort of thing. All kinds of hillarity of course ensued.

The impulsive, combat monster troll was fun to watch.. cyber.gif
Dog
Yikes! Rape scenario (especially involving a PC) in an RPG is pretty heavy. Hope it worked out for you though.
Jrayjoker
The insane troll combat monster called a shot to the rapist's groin and staged it up to 3 over deadly before anything unseemly happened.

eek.gif
Jrayjoker
I decided he bled out through both femoral arteries before the medkit was applied.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012