Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Decking...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
silvergoat
For a beginning SR gm, running the matrix is pretty much hell. Please give me tips, links, tools or whatever you think is necessary. Good cheat sheets would be great. Going from matrix to bbb to whatever is just to complicated for now. I want to use it but its going to be dump if I dont find any solutions...

TY in advance
Backgammon
Wait until Shadowrun 4th Edition comes out in August wink.gif lick.gif

Otherwise, yes it's very complicated. FYI most GMs do not have decker players, they just have NPCs do it (or pretend to do it).

If you are still stubborn, this insanely long and useful thread should help quite a bit.
mfb
first recommendation: close Matrix for now, and don't open it until you're comfortable running with the rules in SR3. Matrix is a great book, but it adds a level of complexity that most beginners can't handle.

second recommendation: start small. one decker doing a single task, in and out. once you've done a few of those, up it to two or three tasks at a time. move up from there.

your cheat sheet should include the following tables:
Host Rating Table (SR3 pg 205)
Trigger Steps (SR3 pg 211)
IC Initiative (SR3 pg 223)
Cybercombat TNs/IC Damage (SR3 pg 224)
Overload TNs/Dumpshock Damage (SR3 pg 226)

you will want to bookmark the following pages:
Operations Descriptions (SR3 pgs 215-220)
Combat Manuevers (SR3 pgs 224-225)
IC (SR3 pgs 227-230)
SuperSpy
In the back of the Matrix book are some great tables. One of them is a list of all the System Operations a decker can do with the host rating they check against and the utility that applies. There's also a table for all the IC which gives the basics of everything they can do. With these two tables, your Host Ratings and your security sheaf (use example ones for the first few runs before making your own) you're pretty much set to go.

Also, it's a good idea to write out your Host ratings with their full attribute names ('access', 'files', 'index', etc.). The slash delineated format they use is annoying and frustrating until you really get the format down.

Simple, one-objective missions like mfb mentioned will keep the runs quick and keep things simple. Ideally the decker will only set off the first couple triggers on your sheaf. That means you can keep the rules for the first two IC encounters fresh in your mind without having to worry about the Gray and Black stuff.

If you're worried about boring the other players to death while you're running a matrix mission, go ahead and get all your players involved. Forget about in-character restrictions for a bit and let the other players give the decker hints or suggestions. It helps everyone become more familiar with the matrix rules.

Hope this helps.
Jrayjoker
Practice, practice, practice.

I have a friend who comes over on nongame nights and we do test runs with a lot of different decks/utilities/deckers to get familiar with the system.

Add in new complexities very slowly.

Describe the matrixscape as you would the street the PCs are walking down. The previously linked thread (which I found incredibly helpful) does a good job with flavor text.

I used to dread the need for a decker in my runs, now I really enjoy the matrix aspect.

Don't be afraid of it, just practice.
Nikoli
Do you have access to excel?
I have a cheat sheet I made for decking that lets you plug in all the stats for the deck, the decker, the apps, the connection, the system being hacked, etc. and will tell you what actions are available at that moment, howmuch bandwidth is available, how much active memory, etc. and Target numbers for the various tests.

I'm working on adding Otaku support, but I'm lazy.
Jrayjoker
I'd love to see that.
Nikoli
I'll clean it up (remove the bit and pieces from the last decker I used it for) and toss it up on my website tonight.

I'm also working on a cheatsheet for ranged combat, but I need to add in the rules for incremental cover. After you see the TN's it pops out, you'll wonder why they removed the compatibility of SL and vision mag.
GrinderTheTroll
Post the URL so we can all have a look.

Thanks,
Nikoli
When it's up I will, look for it in about 7 hours or so (I'm not much for web type stuff, so I gotta relearn everytime)
GlassJaw
Otherwise, yes it's very complicated. FYI most GMs do not have decker players, they just have NPCs do it (or pretend to do it).

I'm sure this is one of the main reason for SR4. FanPro probably just got tired of hearing about people who remove a big part of the rules simply because they are too complicated.
Mr Cjelli
I may be alone in this opinion but I do not think decking specifically is complicated at all. Yes, the matrix as a whole has probably more rule systems than anything else (host design, frames, IC, operations and cybercombat, software programming, deck design, otaku, etc). Most of the really complex stuff should be occuring during downtime when you have plenty of time to consult the books.

Matrix runs are more straight forward than any other rules system in the game! Everything is a success contest, and three of the four variables involved in the contest (computer (decking), security value, and detection factor) are pretty much set in stone unless you change host/LTG/RTG. Yes, there are a lot of operations. And yes, there are a lot of utilities which effect them. You don't need to memorize all of them; just look up or make note of the important things on a host before hand.

As for cybercombat, you have fewer options as to what to do than in "real world" combat. No ammunition to keep track of, no grenades, no called shots, no cover or visibility modifiers. Everyone has a few maneuvers they can perform as complex actions, and forms of attack based upon their utilities/what type of IC they are.

Ultimately, I think the reason why decking is considered so complicated is because the sheer number of utilities and operations can be intimidating, and the difficulty of integrating matrix runs and overwatch into your session without excluding the other players.
Nikoli
Actually, when you factor in the connection, safe bandwidth, current bandwidth, it get's a little funny, but for the most part your are right. the trick is knowning what you can do at that particular moment.
mfb
the complexity of the Matrix stems from the fact that you've basically got two seperate lists of "what you can do". the first is the list of system operations; the second is the list of programs. yes, they match up most of the time--you can only do system operation A with program B, not program C or D--but the fact is, the large number of what seem like options is intimidating.

moreover, decking is non-intuitive; people don't always grasp right away what the die rolls mean. when you're just starting out, it can seem like a series of random rolls.
Mr Cjelli
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Actually, when you factor in the connection, safe bandwidth, current bandwidth, it get's a little funny, but for the most part your are right. the trick is knowning what you can do at that particular moment.

I don't think the connection rules make the decker's life more complex; it's a one time set of modifications for the entirety of the run and only satelite connections vary significantly from the others. I imagine a decker will be using the same types of connections a lot as well (wireless methods if they've got the gear, probably lots of dataline taps and plugging into workstations). All in all, swapping utilities back in forth is more complicated than connections.

Bandwidth adds complexity...but it's also a completely optional rule. I personally don't use it in my game nor have I seen it used in any game. Asides from making the lives of deckers harder and making otaku even more awesome, I don't see the point; it hardly adds any additional "realism" nor does it create interesting obstacles or make your hosts more interesting.
Nikoli
Clicky

Have fun tearing it apart.
Remember it's only for Deckers, have not added Otaku rules just yet and the Reality Filter is new.
Catsnightmare
There are also some quick and dirty alternative Decking rules/rolling methods in the back of Mr. Johnsons' Little Black Book, same thing with Rigging rules there too.
Nikoli
Feel free to PM me comments.
ef31415
Wave hands like clouds.

Seriously. Go over with the player how decking works in general, and after that toss the rules and just fluff the action.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012