Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Support you FLGS
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aristotle
Before I even start I should say a couple of things.

1.) I've never lived by a 'support your FLGS' motto. I buy discounted books online pretty much exclusively. I save 30% on average, which translates into either more books or more ability to have books while supporting my household.

2.) I'm fully aware that online petitions, for good or worse, rarely have any affect. This isn't really a petition so much as an idea I plan to do myself and invite others to do.

The plan? I simply itend to buy the core book, and possibly the following products, for 4th edition at a game store that either does not cary Shadowrun or caries very little on an out-of-the-way shelf in the corner.

Why? I'd like to think if we targeted these stores, some of which are still wrongly under the impression that Shadowrun isn't even being published anymore, that we might provide some incentive to these stores to stock the product and in turn to expose potential new players into buying the game.

I've actually had some luck with this in the past. I special ordered 5 copies (one for me and one for each of my players) of the 3rd Edition book at such a store. Soon after they had Shadowrun on a shelf. When 4th Edition goes gold, I'll likely want 5 copies of that too (my players pretty much always get the core book to whatever game I happen to be running for christmas). Hopefully I can entice another store to more prominently feature the game for others to see and buy.

Care to join me?
Aristotle
For those that might not know.
FLGS = Friendly Local Game Store.
nezumi
Meh, I haven't been to a gaming store in quite a while, and most the people I know are online only kinda folk. The only gaming store I know of that was worth spending time in was WotC, and they closed their doors. I'd prefer to go to Amazon.com and buy it there, to send the message that there's a market for this stuff then try to do that at a gaming store I'll never return to.

As for a local book store (like barnes and noble), that's a different matter. I DO shop at those places.
Req
The closest thing to a Friendly Local Game Store in my 'hood, actually, is populated and staffed entirely by assholes, so I probably will be Stiggybaby'ing it up. As usual.
Mr. Man
I guess I'll give it a shot. I always buy from a FLGS but last summer I changed shops because the one I usually go to was closed for a few months during a change of ownership. The new owner has been very slow to get any significant amount of new stock in and the one time a friend of mine tried to order something from him (a SR book, coincidentally) the shop never called to let him know that it had come in. So I have been very hesitant to switch back.

But I'll take your advice and see what happens...

DarusGrey
Since I always attend the major conventions anyways, I've bought every single gaming book I've owned over 20 years directly from the producers booth.

Screw the FLGS, I'd rather keep FanPro in business as a preferance.
Aristotle
QUOTE (DarusGrey)
Screw the FLGS, I'd rather keep FanPro in business as a preferance.

While I'm certainly not telling anyone what to do... I think you misinterpreted my meaning. I could care less about the FLGS, whether it's run by jerks, or whatever. The idea is simply to get shops that don't currently stock Shadowrun or don't maintain that stock to reconsider. Because, regardless of how you feel about the store, impulse buys at those shops are one of the top ways new gamers are introduced to a game.

In other words, the whole point is to 'keep FanPro in business'.

*shrug*
Euchrid
There's only one FLGS store in town, and they have a huge Shadowrun display. Every time I pick up a book one of the staff members will chat and swap stories about our current campaigns.

I may pay a little more than I would online, a little more that I can't really afford, but the fact is that I'm very bad with money and the store is awesome.
RunnerPaul
If they do some sort of limited edition, I will be doing my best to purchase said limited edition. If there are limited editions available at my FLGS, then cool, I'll get it there. (It's been a while, but when SR3 came out, wasn't there a deal where if a store ordered a case of 24 regular books, they were sent one of the BABYs?)
Adam
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
If they do some sort of limited edition, I will be doing my best to purchase said limited edition. If there are limited editions available at my FLGS, then cool, I'll get it there. (It's been a while, but when SR3 came out, wasn't there a deal where if a store ordered a case of 24 regular books, they were sent one of the BABYs?)

Yes, that was the deal in 1998.

There will be something similar for SR4, but the details are still being worked on.
Aristotle
QUOTE (Adam)
There will be something similar for SR4, but the details are still being worked on.

Really? Then it stands to reason, though it is not being confirmed, that the best possible chance of getting any sort of limited edition will be GenCon, right? Of course even if I get the limited. My players will be getting the standard release from the game store.

I need to go make travel plans.
Jrayjoker
I hate it when cool stuff happens and I have no money and no prospect of money to get ahold of it!!!!!!!!!!!!
nezumi
Have you considered selling your body? You should be able to make at least $40 in six months...
Nikoli
"Even fat chicks need lovin, but they gotta pay. Oh yeah, gigidy, gigidy, gigidy."
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (nezumi)
Have you considered selling your body? You should be able to make at least $40 in six months...

My wife won't let me sell anything she may deem useful in the future. frown.gif
I could whore myself out after I get fixed though.

Kai
An LE in the works? Damn, I need to work more hours wink.gif
Fortune
Adam: What about all us international folks who just can't get to GenCon? Is there going to be a way for some of us to possibly acquire a BABY of our own?

Adam
Stores are able to get the limited edition if they order a sufficient quantity of the core book. Direct-to-consumer sales for the limited edition have yet to be determined.

And I don't know anything about the print run size, the special features, or if a lock of Sprite's hair is included with the limited editions -- all I know is it's happening.
Fortune
Ok, thanks. Since you're in an answering mood, what about pdf availability for SR4?
Adam
It will be. Timeline undetermined. Pricing undetermined.
Jrayjoker
One out of 3 ain't bad, thanks for the information Adam.
Fortune
QUOTE (Adam)
It will be. Timeline undetermined. Pricing undetermined.

Thanks Adam, that's as good an answer as anyone can expect for now. I just hope it'll be close to the actual book release.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Adam)
Stores are able to get the limited edition if they order a sufficient quantity of the core book. Direct-to-consumer sales for the limited edition have yet to be determined.

This could be a problem for me. I don't anticipate my FLGS to be ordering SR4 in large enough quantities to get on the "they get a copy of the limited edition too" list, and if by some miracle they are, that means SR is a lot more popular in my area than I thought, and I'd likely have some rivals to contend with when attempting to get said limited edition.

I'm hoping for direct-to-consumer sales, myself. And I'll say this much: the last time they put a limited edition on the website, it was insane. Enough interested buyers to entirely clog FASA's old webcatalog server, and less than a hundred copies available (for some reason, the number 46 sticks out in my mind, but it's been a while). Part of the reason everyone was so rabid about it, was because unlike most limited editions that get put out by RPG companies, this one wasn't priced in the $70-$100 range.
Zen Shooter01
If there's a brick and mortar store anywhere near you, go there.

Do not go to book barn megachains. They do not care about you.

Whether you personally like them or not, your FLGS owners are dedicated fans who are keeping the community alive by supplying the gear and a place to congregate, play, and recruit. And damn few of them are getting rich at it.

Spend your money where you spend your karma.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)

Well, since most of my recent karma has gone into Computers skill… nyahnyah.gif

~J
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 19 2005, 04:21 PM)
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ Mar 19 2005, 04:21 PM)

Well, since most of my recent karma has gone into Computers skill… nyahnyah.gif

... You'll be buying the PDF? biggrin.gif

(This board needs a rimshot smiley.)
Slash_Thompson
@runner paul: if you're willing to pay 70-100USD for a LE-sr4, it's possible that you may be able to entice your brick and mortar store to increase their shipment size to accomdate you if you committed to buy the LE from them for that price.

I got the impression from what I've been able to gather about the previous promotional that the BABY's were sent gratuit over the 24 regular books. if you can convince them they'll move 24 books in reasonable time ~and~ you'll buy the 'free extra' for doublish the normal price, they might go for it.

I'll be keeping track, since I can't get to gencon- direct sale is my best bet too, but I imagine it'll go fast unless the direct sale is decently stocked (~100+ at the minimum), so If I can't get it that way, I'll be 'enticing' my local store with a full playset sale too (my players will get new editions since the upcoming fall term is the last I'll be able to GM for them) and my own purchase of the LE.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Slash_Thompson)
@runner paul: if you're willing to pay 70-100USD for a LE-sr4, it's possible that you may be able to entice your brick and mortar store to increase their shipment size to accomdate you if you committed to buy the LE from them for that price.

I don't think my local store does the kind of volume to warant ordering a case, even if the deal were sweetened for them by getting $100 for a book that was thrown in free.

I'm not too worried though. After all, I'd managed to get ahold of not just one, but two SR3 BABYs (One of which went to a guy who was my co-gm for Shadowrun all throughout highschool). First one I got during the nanosecond-BABY-buyout on FASAs online store, and the other I got on the secondary market. I'm sure that with a little determined effort, I'll be able to snag another limited edition this time around.

And who knows? Maybe this time around there'll be more of them. After all, back in '98, limited and premium editions of RPG books were practically unheard of. These days, everyone from White Wolf and Wizards of the Coast, to Games Workshop, and even small time publishers like Sanguine Publishing have titles that have gotten the prestige edition treatment. There's a known market segement that buys these things, so it's not as much of a risk to make a bigger print run.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012