Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Forces of Nature
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MagicalGirlPrettyMatt
So, I'm watching the Discovery Channel the other night, and they're broadcasting this exceptionally bad documentary on "Volcanos of America" and more specifically, the Midwest. This gets me to thinking, given the geographical setting of Shadowrun, why hasn't (at least that I've heard of, and admittedly I haven't read all the sourcebooks or any of the novels) there been anything done on an erupting volcano? So, I start goggling some things and determine a couple of mountains in the SSC that could potentially go (Mount Adams and Glacier Peak), and I begin to design a run based on a frantic, race-against-time extraction of some less than legal "scientists" and their valuable cargo in an abandoned US-era ghost town within the blast radius. It seemed cool to me, and to a couple of other people familiar with the system, including a PC/GM in my group that we know won't be there when it's my turn to run this.

So, obviously pay is going to be through the roof for such a dangerous run, and it would take a somewhat courage (and stupid) runner to dart into a blast zone for a high payoff, particularly if there were SSC Rangers and some third party interested in recovering the particular "cargo" these "scientists" have in their possession. But that stuff's all easy: guns are guns, and they have rules, same with vehicles and athletics tests. The big wildcard in this is, of course, the erupting Volcano. Now, in an explosive eruption there is typically very little lava (despite what you may have seen in the movie Dante's Peak). Instead, the main danger comes from three sources: Earthquakes, Lahars (mudflows and the debris they carry), and Pyroclastic flows (100mph+ clouds of superheated ash and pumice that pretty much carbonize and kill whatever they touch). Obviously, some of these would feature a power level so high (like said flows) that it would only be to offer some token number to ascribe a power level to them. The other two, however, are a bit trickier. What I'd like to know is as follows: are there any rules for things like a mudslide, earthquake, or other force of nature in Shadowrun, and if not, how can I make some, and what would be appropriate? Thank you for your time.

-Magical Girl Pretty Matt
Dog
Harlequin 1.
Snow_Fox
Plus the fact pretty much the whole ring of fire isolated Seattle at the ned of the GGW and recently trashed Japan leading to recall of many imperial forces, the toxic tidal waves taking out parts of northern europe from Benelux to Norway, mana storms cutting off huge chunks of australia.

The whole SB Target Wastelands is about hostile environments.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012