Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some syts. codes for Shadowlands and Denver
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Boardom
It'll be a while before I can get the Matrix supplement.

Can anybody give me some target numbers for access to Shadowlands and the Denver Nexus? Complete syst. codes would be even better, though I realize they are subject to change.

cheers !

b
KosherPickle
QUOTE (Boardom)
It'll be a while before I can get the Matrix supplement.

Can anybody give me some target numbers for access to Shadowlands and the Denver Nexus?  Complete syst. codes would be even better, though I realize they are subject to change.

Magicknet, the Shadowland of the Awakened, has canonical ACIFS of Green-8/14/13/15/15/12. (Target: Matrix, p.132) I'd use this as a template for Shadowland and Nexus (each being successively harder to get into).
Boardom
Thanks a lot. . now I have something to give my game master.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason such hosts would use security is to keep the Corp. Deckers from crashing it to avoid the posting of "innapropriate material." In other words, it would have a mellow securticy sheaf, right?

b
TinkerGnome
Of course, pretty much every step on the sheaf needs to include a drek hot decker. In Denver, it's also likely to include a small swarm of resident Otaku (I think they're still there).

They aren't going to be too mellow if you try anything. Probably just about everyone can do certain activities (upload and download files) without needing to roll for it (or get tally), though.
KosherPickle
QUOTE (Boardom)
Thanks a lot. . now I have something to give my game master. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason such hosts would use security is to keep the Corp. Deckers from crashing it to avoid the posting of "innapropriate material."    In other words, it would have a mellow securticy sheaf, right?

If you've got the right access codes, IC isn't a problem.

Magicknet runs a lot of Probe/Scout/Trace at the beginning, but after the Passive Alert, starts to get obnoxious. The IC is probably going to be gray after that point (Tar Baby, Ripper, Blaster, etc.).

Shadowland and Nexus are going to send gray IC and deckers, unless you jack the tally into the 50's. Then out comes the Lethal Black IC.
Abstruse
The 50s? I'd say the 30s or maybe even the upper 20s. Shadowland is paranoid as hell and if you don't have an account, you're not going to be doing much at all without bringing down some serious crap on you. If you have Shadowland as a contact, then your cost for maintaining the contact is pretty much paying for your account.

The security would only apply if you're trying to hack the system, IE delete or modify files, access files you haven't paid for, and stuff like that. Being that deckers are on the system almost 24 hours a day doing something or another and probably a few of the staff of Shadowland/The Nexus, you're going to be facing stiff opposition before IC and other automated security is even considered. And even if you DO get away with it at the time, you're going to be blacklisted by every decker and damn near every shadowrunner in Seattle if you screw with Shadowland and EVERY member of the shadow community in the world if you hit Denver. And they WILL come looking for you.

"You know who you are, and your deck is mine for the taking. Think about that next time you're in some cold, dark corner of the Matrix." -- Fastjack

The Abstruse One
Boardom
QUOTE (Abstruse)
And even if you DO get away with it at the time, you're going to be blacklisted by every decker and damn near every shadowrunner in Seattle if you screw with Shadowland and EVERY member of the shadow community in the world if you hit Denver. And they WILL come looking for you.

Whooaaa. .. .I'm not talking about messing with it. Why would I. . I need the juice they have. I just need some numbers for my GM until I can snag the Matrix supplement. I took Shadowlands as a L2 contact so that takes care of the passwords and such. . but I wanted other numbers, such as Denver, so I can look around more if I have to. . .and I always do.

By the way. . . that's a cool seed for a Decker mini-adventure: Joe Decker is doing is thing in the Shadowlands when a corp. strike group of deckes comes to delete data and/or crash the system. It would be a bar room brawl with deckers and IC everywhere. . .
Abstruse
I've got a new player wanting to play a decker...I may use that idea as his second intro-to-the-Matrix run (the first being a simple datasteal).

But for Shadowland, they're a business just like any other online service and they'll want to protect themselves from unauthorized access. Therefore, they'll have pretty stiff security. The security only really matters if you're trying to bust in, but if you're just wanting to sift through files and download without taking them as a contact, Access, Index, and Files ratings would be from 10 for the low security stuff (new catalog) up to the low teens and maybe even in the 20s for high security stuff.

The Abstruse One
KosherPickle
QUOTE (Abstruse)
The security only really matters if you're trying to bust in, but if you're just wanting to sift through files and download without taking them as a contact, Access, Index, and Files ratings would be from 10 for the low security stuff (new catalog) up to the low teens and maybe even in the 20s for high security stuff.

I'm going to have to disagree with the high-end ACIFS bench-mark. Zurich-Orbital is listed as Red-13/20/20/18/18/18. I don't buy that Shadowland is tougher than Z-O, not one bit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012