Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shamans and Norse Gods
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Blackout
Ok the only place I know of that mentions Norse gods is on pg. 26 Magic in the Shadows and that is nothing more than a paragraph. So here is my question is there any other printed material on Norse gods for Shadowrun? If not any ideas?

I have a few but would like to cross reference anything that may be out there.

I am for sure going to relate them to the days of the week since our days are named after Norse Gods.
fistandantilus4.0
Try SOTA 2064. Some stuff in there.

Nifty little pick of a guy that thinks he's Thor
Blackout
I'll have to look into that. It's one of the few books i don't have. Did they put them in as shamans?
fistandantilus4.0
Something like it. If I remember right , they have their own special little Rune magic.

I'm sure someone that has their books handy will clarify for you in a bit.
Blackout
In Matrix in the Shadows they mention that they are called Idols. I'm thinking of running them something like a totem. Give them advantages and disadvantages. Each on will have a bonus on the day of the week named after them. When i get his written up i'll post it. It should be later today.

Ancient History
<shakes head> You're kinda missing the point. An Idol-follower is aligned to an aspect of a specific deity, saint, or character. For example, you could easily have two magicians, in the same group, who follow Vulcan. But one follows his aspect as the Creator, and the other follows his aspect as Fire-Bringer.

Now, theoretically you could use the Pantheistic rules and just claim you're following a different aspect each week. Nothing wrong with that.

I'd be careful about "daily" bonuses or allotments...there's no real precedent, and we'll end up dating the origin of different days and their names, you just watch.
Critias
Yeah. Idols are Totems, just different aspects of them. You can use the MitS-listed stats for "Dragonslayer" (for instance) for about a half dozen different saints/dieties/names, ranging from Thor to St Michael. Instead of listing "Thor" and "Odin" and "Loki" all seperately, they've listed the Idols as certain ideals or aspects, that run the gamut of any possible old-school mythological deity you'd want.

Adversary for Loki would work pretty well. Wise Warrior for Odin (or several others). Fenris (or is it Fenrir in the book?), easily fits right in if you want it. It's all about how you (as both player and character) interpret the deity you want to follow , as to which Totem will work best for it -- but trust me, there's a Totem for pretty much any mythological deity or figure you'd want to make a follower of.
Blackout
Thanks. Now all of this is in State of the Art?
Glyph
No - they are in the new Totems in Magic in the Shadows. I don't think you need any new rules, really. SR magic is based on the premise that people use different belief systems to access it, but it still acts on the same underlying principles. You don't need new rules for Norse shamans, just flavor for them. Someone who follows Thor, for instance, might pick the Dragonslayer Totem, toss carved bits of ivory to use the Divination metamagic, chant Edda runes for Centering, use spells like lightning bolt, and so on.
Crimsondude 2.0
There is, though, a conversion chart of Idols to Norse/Celtic/Wicca/Roman/Hellenistic deities in SOTA64.

And MitS lists it as Fenrir, Critias. But Fenrir is a "Mythic Totem" in MitS and lumped with Gargoyle, Leviathan, Phoenix, et al. and not an Idol (like it matters as far as SR's concerned... :rolls eyes:)
Large Mike

The Idol/Totem stuff is in MitS, SotA 64 gave us a chapter called 'Old World Magic', or something similar, which gives rules for rune magic, among other things. Incidentally, the same book is the home of the new, expanded, and oft dreaded adept section. YMMV on that one, but I digress.

Playing an adherent to the Norse religion is touched on in MitS (as you probably already know) in connection with how to play a panthiest. I believe there's also a list of what sorts of gods would be what sorts of Idols in '64. Some of them I disagree with, but if you don't personally have a pretty good idea of what those on the list that will affect your character would mean to him, they're a good start.
Blackout
Thanks everyone for your help, and now for the final question. Odin can speak to the dead, is there a spell for this as of now? If not any ideas?
Kanada Ten
Ancestor spirits. The summoner may have a flavor limitation of requiring the body be present, or of summoning the spirit into the body. It requires giving up spirits of man, but your GM may allow you to give up something else.
audun
QUOTE (Glyph)
No - they are in the new Totems in Magic in the Shadows. I don't think you need any new rules, really. SR magic is based on the premise that people use different belief systems to access it, but it still acts on the same underlying principles. You don't need new rules for Norse shamans, just flavor for them.

Yup - The rules for playing Norse magicians are in MitS. The flavor and some more guidelines is in SOTA2064.
Someone who follows Thor, for instance, might pick the Dragonslayer Totem, toss carved bits of ivory to use the Divination metamagic, chant Edda runes for Centering, use spells like lightning bolt, and so on.

Ouch! Dragonslayer and lightning bolts are fine, but no such thing as Edda runes. The Eddas are all written in latin letters. You can't chant Norse runes either, they're just letters. There's the Finnish rune song tradition, but that's something else and not really connected. Why would a Thor follower use bits of ivory for divination? No elephants connected to Thor last time I checked.
Though I can see where you're coming from, MitS is full of misconceptions about Norse magic (and other traditions as well). Chanting of the Eddas is one of them, it's as absurd as Greek magicians chanting Homer. You can't even chant the Younger Edda as it is a guidebook for how to write poetry, but entirely written in prose.

I tried to clear up some of the misconceptions in SOTA2064, but some was removed in editing and there wasn't that much wordcount to begin with. There are also things that I discovered later which I should have added to make it somewhat more interesting. In general I'm not too pleased with the section on Norse magic, but if you don't want to do a whole lot of research I'll guess that they'll do.

Large Mike: Out of curiosity, what is it that you disagree with in the Idols/gods conversion list?

Blackout: I wouldn't place too much weight on the weekday names when it comes to Norse gods. Saturday is from a Roman deity(Saturn), in Old Norse and modern Scandinavian languages it's named as the "Bathing Day". Neither the sun nor the moon are Norse deities so you're left with only four days.
In general I suggest that you do a lot of research before you try to write up some rules for Norse magic. I did.
Ancient History
QUOTE (audun)
Ouch! Dragonslayer and lightning bolts are fine, but no such thing as Edda runes. The Eddas are all written in latin letters.
You can't chant Norse runes either, they're just letters.

You could certainly chant the Eddas, if you gave it a mind, although it might be stretching it. Think of a Germanic magician quoting from the Nibelunglied.

As for chanting runes...<shrug> if the runes are phonetic (i.e. the letters represent a sound), then they can be chanted. Although what you'd really be chanting is whatever language the words were in expressed by the runes, I'd suppose.

QUOTE (audun)
Why would a Thor follower use bits of ivory for divination? No elephants connected to Thor last time I checked.

I'll go out on a limb and say the reference might have been for bones, and ivory was a mistake. Certainly, I've heard of runes being carved on bits of bone and tossed as a form of divination (and gambling...if the soothsayer yells "Yahtzee!" ask for your money back, especially if she claims to have been speaking in runes.)

Crimsondude 2.0
What is this, the department of redundancy department?
mintcar
If you want a norse feel to your magican you might want to go with a lot of shapechanging into animals, dwarven made weapon foci, calling your magic "sejd", there is also a lot of instances of illusionary magic and devination. You should also think about that brewing, sharing and drinking beer were sacred acts bound by law. wink.gif

And trickery should be much more revered than raw strength.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012