Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Way of the Burnout
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ancient History
As the gang leader once said "Magic's a gun and I'm a mage."

Sometimes, life gives you lemons. You took one too many hits, or too many drugs, or just gave yourself a bit of cyber(
[ Spoiler ]
).

Now you're stuck on the slow slide of the Burnout. So, make the most of it! You can still be a good magician with a bit of cyber. Hell, maybe better than your non-chromed counterparts, just take a Talisman geas tied to something integral.

It need be said, magicians should think carefully before mixing bioware and cyberware, as the /actual/ magic loss on top of the /virtual/ magic loss can be devastating. Adepts may be better off taking bioware to boost their physical stats, since that can at least be removed easily enough. It need not be said, the higher quality you can afford, the better. At this point, genetech isn't worth serious consideration by magicians. Too heavy a price, for too little gain.

Autoinjectors and Drugs
Ideal for magicians who need a bit of oomph, and cheaper by far than a chemical gland, the autoinjector can provide a quick rush of pharmecuticals. Popular choices include Novacoke, Psyche, and Zen; more esoteric magicians may have access to magical compounds for other benefits.

Drugs are a popular step in the Way of the Burnout, as the magician has to walk a fine line between excess and success.

Cyberlimbs
It's unfortunate, but sometimes you lose an arm. Or decide to lose an arm for the bennies it can give you. Few magicians go in for replacement limbs, because they're not essence friendly and, really, what the Hell can they do for you?

Lots. Let's consider the example of Johnny Threetricks:
Johnny always had to deal with spirits. Lots of spirits. Mean spirits. Before you could say "Mantis!" Johnny lost his right arm. So he got a new one. Not a great arm, but roomy enough for a big gun that held some silver bullets, a retractable spur, an Ares Redline laser, and a Shiawese Blazer (He had them fill up his internal air tank and run the hose to the arm. A little expensive, but damn surprising!)

Now, Johnny's example is a bit extreme, but it shows a few of the possibilities. Frankly, cyberweapons are almost the only point of a cyberarm on a magician. Which brings us too...

Cyberweapons
Some paranormal threats just don't respond to normal tactics. For those, and for those who can't deal with the situation any other way, there are options. Conjurors, for example, can't cast spells. When they're last spirit is toast or they're too tired to banish something, being able to pull out a weapon with an elemental effect might just save the day.
Other magicians just like having their mageblade close. Physical adepts learned in Savate or Mauy Thai might prefer a footblade, but the good old retractable spur, handblade, hand razors, or even oral spur does the job just as well, especially as they can be enchanted before they've been incorporated (the blade, at least.)
Silver-edged blades are preferred to the traditional high-tech composites, for when the Infected come a-callin'.

Damage Compensators and Pain Editors
Generally, too expensive for a magician to bother with; although very useful for the sudden quick successive drains during a spellbattle, Centering is a better bet for dealing with drain and the adept powers over pain are generally better.

Datajack
Often overlooked, the useful and versatile datajack grants the magician, among other things, quick and easy access to Magicknet, on-line hermetic libraries, and quick-and-easy access to datasofts. Plus the general benefits.

Encephalons
...do not aid in the use of any magic, magical perception, or Magical skills. But it can be useful in /learning/ magical skills and background skills. Which pretty much just makes it a karma saver, and may help you use those B/R skills to craft foci a little better. Eh.
Cerebral Boosters, on the other hand, provide a similar bonus for a lesser cost. Personally, I think they're both a bit of a waste, but if you're desperate to conserve karma (and what magician isn't?)
Mnemonic enhancers are better than cerebral boosters and encephalons for the purposes that a magician would need them, and generally make a better investment.

Headware Memory Hermetic Libraries
Pricey, very pricey in terms of essence (a basic rating 6 Sorcery library takes up 3.6 gigapulses, which equals 1.2 essence!) Naturally, the cost can be reduced some by higher grade cyberware or Data Compactors, but it's rarely enough to make it work it. My suggestion is, if you /need/ an internal Hermetic library, stick with dedicated chipjacks and high-MP optical chips.

Math SPU and Pythagoreans
A very handy tool for those rare Hacker-Magicians out there, and definately a bonus for Pythagoreans (or those who want to use their formulae.)

Metabolic Arrestor, Platelet Facotries, and Symbiotes
The last thing a Burnout needs is to lose more precious Magic to something as simple as damage. With a bit of luck, the metabolic arrestor gives the magician precious time for their teammates to come to their aid...or for an anchored Treat spell to trigger.
Platelet factories might be even better, but the daily anticoagulant is a bit of a drag...still, with a chemical gland, not a bad option at all.
Symbiotes are costlier in bio index than metabolic arrestors, and incompatible with platelet factories. Personally, I suggest getting the platelet factories and the nanosymbiotes. Hedge your bets.

Nanite Facilitator
Fairly simple, this is dandy for magicians who like using nanosymbiotes to cut down long healing downtimes. Practically required.

RAS Override
Often overlooked by magicians, but worthwile considering it's low impact, an RAS Override, turned on before going astral, means that any possessing force attempting to use your body has a tough fight ahead of them. Metahuman magicians, free spirits, loa spirits, and shedim are unlikely to register the "off" switch for the RAS Override...at least not right away.

Senseware
Cybereyes and visual mods are usually pretty good investments for Burnouts. Cheap, able to accomadate multiple enhancements, and the more you see, the more you can hit with a spell. Low-light, thermographic, and vision magnification are favorites.

Skillsofts
A bit pricey, especially in terms of essence, skillsofts can be invaluable to a magician. Not for magical skills, which can't be encoded in activesofts, but certainly for the many Knowledge skills, like Magic Background, Spell Design, and Talismongering. A big karma-saver! Speaking of stored knowledge, consider:

Trauma Dampners
The most useful of all bioware currently on the market for magicians who experience drain and combat monster adepts alike.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Ancient History)
It need be said, magicians should think carefully before mixing bioware and cyberware, as the /actual/ magic loss on top of the /virtual/ magic loss can be devastating. Adepts may be better off taking bioware to boost their physical stats, since that can at least be removed easily enough.

Neither of these is true anymore. First off, there is no more "virtual" magic loss from bioware. Second, Bio Index doesn't go away when you take out the bioware (kinda stupid, huh?). Evidence: look at "Bio Index Slot" option in the surgery rules. I don't know if the "virtual" magic loss ever did go away when you removed the bioware either, but the actual magic loss as outlined in the errata doesn't go away.
Kesh
Now that is a useful post. Thanks!
Ancient History
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Mar 20 2005, 07:20 PM)
It need be said, magicians should think carefully before mixing bioware and cyberware, as the /actual/ magic loss on top of the /virtual/ magic loss can be devastating. Adepts may be better off taking bioware to boost their physical stats, since that can at least be removed easily enough.

Neither of these is true anymore. First off, there is no more "virtual" magic loss from bioware. Second, Bio Index doesn't go away when you take out the bioware (kinda stupid, huh?). Evidence: look at "Bio Index Slot" option in the surgery rules. I don't know if the "virtual" magic loss ever did go away when you removed the bioware either, but the actual magic loss as outlined in the errata doesn't go away.

Okay, so maybe I should read up on the errata.
Aes
A smart mage could do worse than investing in a reflex recorder for his sorcery or conjuring skills too. At .25 bioindex and 25k a pop, they're cheap boosts to essential skills.

Human mages might consider cats eyes too, and mages of all races the optical vision magnification for that all-important boost to LOS.
FlakJacket
Path of the burnout? It's been an age and my memory was never that good to begin with so remind me, was this the one where if you took any cyber you couldn't initiate after that?
mmu1
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
"Wetwork. Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting twenty times and then blowing up. -Kagetenshi"

Absolutely nothing to do with the thread, but your sig caught my attention, and I think that after our last few sessions, that's no longer true. Now, as I think Kagetenshi would agree with it, it should be:

"Anything worth shooting once is worth being shot with a grenade launcher, kept down with LMG fire and burned with thermite until the $%#&ing thing stops twitching." wink.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Aes)
A smart mage could do worse than investing in a reflex recorder for his sorcery or conjuring skills too. At .25 bioindex and 25k a pop, they're cheap boosts to essential

Reflex Recorders can only be used for Combat or Physical Skills.
Aes
I stand corrected. My bad, I were browsing the NSRCG descriptions at the time. Still, +1 to your stealth, athletics or back-up weapon ain't to be scoffed at. Or an additional die to your Morris Dancing centering skill
Fortune
QUOTE (Aes)
Or an additional die to your Morris Dancing centering skill

Although I'd allow it, this would technically be a Knowledge Skill according to canon. Level 3 Mnemonic Enhancers are good for bonuses on Knowledge skills though.
Lindt
Wanna be able to chant in 5 obscure dead languages? There is the Mnemonic Enhancer for ya.
Glyph
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Path of the burnout? It's been an age and my memory was never that good to begin with so remind me, was this the one where if you took any cyber you couldn't initiate after that?

No. You can either take a geas, or accept the Magic loss (although you can initiate to get it back). You only become a burnout when you reject a geas. At that point, you cannot ever accept another geas or initiate again, so the only place for your Magic rating to go is down.

Of course, a burnout can still be tough. A good mix of cyber and bioware, combined with a Power Focus to boost spellcasting and avert taking physical Drain, can be a potent combination, and you can sometimes stubbornly hold on to those last few Magic points for awhile. But if you are going that route, it's better to simply not take geasa, but continue initiating, than to take a geas and then reject it.
Ancient History
Like I've always said, if a burnout has to take a geas, you can do worse than to take a talisman geas .

Now, the easy option for such a geas is a piece of cyberware...no one can take it from you, right? Not a bad choice, overall, but keep in mind the GM may insist you manipulate it in some way, which is kinda hard for a totally internal device.

While we're on the subject, let's talk about enchanting and cyberware: It ain't easy being chrome. All cyberware is, be default, a high-tech good. No virgin telesma bonus there. Furthermore, it's far easier to enchant something after it's been installed->you could perhaps enchant a cyberspur blade and then have it implanted, but a cyberarm, datajack, or any other object that needs to be connected to you directly should wait until after installation. Some cyberware simply /cannot/ be realistically enchanted: bone lacing and a nanite facilitator, for two examples.

Bioware and nanites aren't proper subjects for enchantment. The former is living tissue, while the latter is too diffuse and easy to lose to be worth much. Imagine enchanting your nanosymbiotes as a power focus (provided the GM would even allow it!), and then you get shot and lose 15% of your nanites...what happens to the enchantment?
The Jopp
Need knowledge skills? No problem. Headware memory for USING the actual skill (a rating 6 knowsoft takes up 108 MPs) and then you take a few implanted OMC (optical memory chips) with 1K of MPs piped through the datajack and the knowsoft link. Now all you need is all those nifty knowledge skills that might be useful.
Critias
I, uhh...I'm just wondering, here. But...is this... I mean, this isn't the first time it's occured to any of you that mixing a little cyber/bio with the mojo works wonders, is it? I always thought everyone knew that.
Fortune
It certainly isn't a new concept to me. I think out of all the Awakened characters I have had (and I play Awaakened characters almost exclusively), going as far back as SR1, only one has not had augmentations of one kind or another.
Aes
A point worth of essence can get you a LOT of useful gadgets. Likewise, two points of bio can get you a LOT of added bonusses. Sure, it sets you back 2 magic points, but you can initate that loss away when you pick up masking and centering anyhow wink.gif
Shockwave_IIc
AH i like your take on the RAS overide, interesting if limit use for it.

However, Symbiotes i do think are a complete waste of time more so the Magically active people since, in all realty all it does is give you 1 extra success on a healing test which will mostly likely be at +2 cos your a mage anyhow.... and thats not including the stupid hike in living expenses.

Edward
If you have a data jack the RAS override can be external.

Using technology taken from direct insert BTLs you can create a chip that includes a RAZ override and shows a low rating sim sense feed of a computer terminal asking for a password. Give it the correct password and the chip shuts itself off, any possessing entity will not know the password and thus will be trapped until you return to kick it out.

Although the system is loosely based on BTL technology the peak controls are well within the legal limits and thus there is no risk of addiction or side affects associated with BTLs.

Edward
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Edward)
Using technology taken from direct insert BTLs you can create a chip that includes a RAZ override and shows a low rating sim sense feed of a computer terminal asking for a password. Give it the correct password and the chip shuts itself off, any possessing entity will not know the password and thus will be trapped until you return to kick it out.

And if you have one of these for your own personal use, you can turn around and just as easily use it to render inert any hostage/extration target/inconvienent pedestrian if they happen to have a datajack.
Edward
I previously proposed that. I called it a rag doll chip and provided a few cheep sim sense games for the target to play. The biggest problem with this is logically it would cost about the same as a rating 1 BTL, less than a skill twitcher, about the same as a set of handcuffs.

My GM proposed a rating 8 persona BTL “my willing flunky” which is cool provided they don’t get addicted.

Edward
lorthazar
Back in SR 1 and SR 2 one of our group mages was heavily cybered. Very badass character, too. Often tag teamed with the Bodyguard and the Troll Samurai. Of course we had a large team, eight players. Made complicated plans easier becuase we knew what we could do and didn't have to hire help.
Doc Byte
My current character's an Odin shaman who started the game as a nearly burned out about 2 years ago. ( Magic 2 / 3 when he was waving ) Meanwhile he's initiated to grade 4 with a magic attribute of 5. ( essence 4 / bio index 3,65 ) Mainly he's got fighting ware. ( cyber eyes, boostered reflexes, dermal armor, smartlink, bone lacing, enhanced strength and quickness plus some other stuff. ) His non-magic side's in fact a classic street sam.
The "problem" is that it took me more than 200 karma points before he achieved at least at an average level in both of this professions. But I love the mixture of both worlds.
tisoz
I did not see the main reason I see magicians getting Pain Editor's in games I have been in. It raises Willpower by one, so there is an extra die when rolling on sorcery drain tests.
Sharaloth
Pain editors are great for magicians. The up to willpower, the ability to ignore the wound penalties from all that drain (which will be less with the raised willpower). Technically a magician with a Pain editor can drain himself to death without realizing it, but most players will stop before that condition monitor really starts to fill. In a last desperate stand situation, though, I can just see the mage turning off the pain and starting to throw the mojo like he's the wrath of God in metahuman form right up until the point where his heart stops.
Toshiaki
QUOTE (Sharaloth)
Pain editors are great for magicians. The up to willpower, the ability to ignore the wound penalties from all that drain (which will be less with the raised willpower). Technically a magician with a Pain editor can drain himself to death without realizing it, but most players will stop before that condition monitor really starts to fill. In a last desperate stand situation, though, I can just see the mage turning off the pain and starting to throw the mojo like he's the wrath of God in metahuman form right up until the point where his heart stops.

Unless the character in questions makes a Biotech roll or has a biomonitor (and is checking it) I don't even let the player make the drain rolls. They tell me how many dice to roll, and whether they want any karma rerolls. After I roll, they don't know how much drain they took.

It works out pretty good, my players enjoy it. Doing it this way means that without checking on thier condition, the player is guessing just like the character. After a particularly long and nasty fight, one magician (Gerald, a rather hedonistic hermetic) spent the next half of the run fussing over himself. He kept asking the other runners how he looked. He was concerned that he way overdid it and didn't want to face up to the pain. It ended when the dwarf got tired of being asked. He shoved the mage into a wall, stabbed his gun at the mage, and said "Gerald, for the love of all that you find holy, yes, that dress does make your ass look fat! Now shutup before I give you something to whine about."

Considering where height differences had the gun shoved, Gerald wisely decided to take his friends advice.
Rev
I like the cerebral booster-2 for magicians.

+2 int,+2 perception dice, +2 astral quickness, +1 combat pool, +1 reaction, +2/3 of a spell pool, +1 to all knowledge technical & b/r skills... all for 0.4 magic and a pretty big wad of cash (220k with street index).

ES_Riddle
The pain editor is a great piece of mageware if you have the biomonitor to go with it, but I prefer a trauma damper and 2 levels of damage compensators. That way you can take an M physical from someone attempting to geek and fire spells back at them without any penalty. Plus there is the obvious help with drain from the trauma damper.

Boosted reflexes/synaptic accelerator can get pretty ridiculous with a mage, too. You may not be quite as fast as a sam, but won't suffer from mage initiative anymore.
Rev
But as somone else said: there aren't any good geasa for burnouts, burnouts cannot take geasa nor can they initiate to prevent magic loss.

You can get 6 points of cyberware and as long as you take either the magic loss or the geasa and dont hit zero magic (meaning you have to initiate at least once) you aren't on the path of burnout. A magician on the path of burnout cannot ever raise thier magic, it can only go down.

For maximum burnout twinkage you initiate up to some high grade like 4 or 5, get 6 points of bioware and 3 points of high grade cyber geasing all the magic loss then go burnout dropping all 6 geasa and see how long it takes you to loose your 10-11 magic and become a mundane.
Sharaloth
I never really understood how the path of the Burnout worked. You voluntarily ignore a Geas? But that just means your effective magic rating is without that geas, isn't it? I mean, my gesture-geased mage with Magic 6 could, if his hands were tied behind his back, still throw around the mojo as if he had a magic rating 5 without waving his arms about, he'd just have to be careful of Physical Drain problems with his high-force stuff. He wouldn't be on the burnout way, he'd just be a little inconvenienced, right? If that mage decided to go burnout, would he still cast spells at effective magic rating 6 without waving his arms about? No, that's covered in MitS, he'd lose the geased points of magic permanently.

What's the difference, then, between choosing to not fulfill a geas so you don't have to wave your arms when using that Force 5 spell, and going burnout?

And, tangentally, why can't burnouts initiate? What if they got tired of all the fasting and armwaving, and decided not to do it anymore, but still study and grow in magical power? They're just denied this out of hand?

Still, scary burnout mage factor: 4 or 5 initiations, Delta MBW4 and a custom 'Heal cyberware stress' spell. Throw in a pain editor or a trauma dampener and damage compensators, and that's one badass burnout.
Herald of Verjigorm
No, when mages do not fullfil all geasa on them, they face +1 for each geasa they have accepted on their TNs in addition to the lowered magic rating. So your 1 geas mage has all his magical TNs upped by one and his magic rating only at 5. However one with 3 geasa who breaks one faces a +3 to all magical TNs. Adepts have different rules.

You are confusing the initiatory limit. You only are forbidden from initiating when you discard a geas. You can choose not to take a geas or to remove a geas with initiation with no additional permanent loss. It is the process of discarding a geas outside of the initiatory geas removal option that forbids later initiation.
Fortune
QUOTE (Sharaloth)
What's the difference, then, between choosing to not fulfill a geas so you don't have to wave your arms when using that Force 5 spell, and going burnout?

The difference is that once a person chooses to permanently ignore his Geas(a), he is technically on the way to burning out. Until then, he can still temporarily cast without using his Geas(a), as long as he takes the appropriate penalty.

And, tangentally, why can't burnouts initiate? What if they got tired of all the fasting and armwaving, and decided not to do it anymore, but still study and grow in magical power? They're just denied this out of hand?

Because it's in the rules?

Still, scary burnout mage factor: 4 or 5 initiations, Delta MBW4 and a custom 'Heal cyberware stress' spell. Throw in a pain editor or a trauma dampener and damage compensators, and that's one badass burnout.

Why be a Burnout though? Do all that, but just don't take Geasa in the first place and you'll never have the Burnout problem.
Sharaloth
Because it's in the rules?

Yes, absolutely, but WHY?

Why be a burnout at all indeed? You have to take a geas and then drop it voluntarily, and that seems pretty moronic, considering you know what the consequences are going to be. The only burnouts I'd imagine would be around are the ones who just didn't get that last initiation fast enough, and hit 0 ungeased magic from deadly wounds and such. What magician is going to voluntarily drop geasa knowing that it will irrevocably destroy their magical growth potential? Sounds like a Decker deciding he really needs a lobotomy, or a Street Sam saying "to hell with limbs of any sort! I wanna be a torso!"

Anybody who chooses the path of a burnout is going to either be crazy, or stupid. Can anyone think of a good IC reason for going Burnout intentionally?

In that spirit, my MBW4 super-burnout is about as sane as the one who decides to go burnout because of a puny Pain Editor and a smartlink. Just better funded.
Apathy
Can anyone think of a good IC reason for going Burnout intentionally?

Trickster shaman Bad Penny gets caught slipping LSD into the city's water supply. The feds are taking her away to jail, where her life would effectively be over anyway, so she's got to do something. She's cuffed, gagged, and her power focus/talisman has been taken away, blocking all three of her geasa. Combined with her light wound, she's got +4 to all of her magic target numbers, and she repeatably fails to conjure a spirit to help her. As a final act of desperation, she casts aside her geasa, feeling a sharp sense of loss as the magic slips away. She finds that she can now focus on her summoning without those restrictions, and a spirit comes to her aid, accidenting the driver and helping Penny escape in the subsequent confusion.

Now Penny's free, but can't help feeling like she'll never be able to get back what she sacrificed for that freedom.
mfb
LSD doesn't have stats in SR. house rules, therefore crappy example !!

i like that, actually. i'd kinda wondered myself why the hell anybody'd voluntarily give up their geasa.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Sharaloth @ Apr 8 2005, 02:10 PM)

You don't have to fast or waive your arms around or anything to initiate. Itinitation is just over coming your own personal, inner barriers. Fasting and meditation and such are all ordeals to make initiation easier. Not required, just smarter. Unless you have some extra karma you have just sitting around that you want to waste.
Fortune
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Apr 9 2005, 06:15 PM)
You don't have to fast or waive your arms around or anything to initiate. Itinitation is just over coming your own personal, inner barriers. Fasting and meditation and such are all ordeals to make initiation easier. Not required, just smarter. Unless you have some extra karma you have just sitting around that you want to waste.

Sharaloth's reference to fasting and arm-waving is about Geasa, not Initiation Ordeals themselves. His question is why can't a mage keep on Initiating even after voluntarily giving up his Geas(a) and starting down the path of the Burnout.
fistandantilus4.0
Ahhh...

IMO, Game balance for one. Put SOME sort of restriction on mages w. cyber.

But mainly, that magic and cyber are supposed to be anethema. They needed some sort of mechanic to reflect this. THey didn't want to say out right "ok, mages can't have cyber", because that makes no sense. And there's plenty of ways a mage can get cyber without wanting too. But they wanted some sort of hard and fast system for magical degredation that once began, would not end. This is what they got. My opinion at least.
Fortune
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Apr 9 2005, 09:33 PM)
IMO, Game balance for one. Put SOME sort of restriction on mages w. cyber.

But mainly, that magic and cyber are supposed to be anethema. They needed some sort of mechanic to reflect this. THey didn't want to say out right "ok, mages can't have cyber", because that makes no sense. And there's plenty of ways a mage can get cyber without wanting too. But they wanted some sort of hard and fast system for magical degredation that once began, would not end. This is what they got. My opinion at least.

But that really isn't what is reflected. I have had awakened characters with 4 Essence worth of Cyber, and Bio on top of that. These are not restricted in any way if they don't take Geas(a) in the first place, and can continue to Initiate as much as they like (as long as they have the the Karma). Even with Geasa, as long as the character keeps them (or gets rid of them properly through Initiation), he is not restricted from further magical growth. It is only after having had Geas(a) and shedding them (outside of Initiation) that the Burnout rules kick in.
fistandantilus4.0
Part of that (once again, IMO) is that in SR , all magic works off of a belief system. With a Geas the mage has found some way that works with their mind set that still allows them to work magic. Kind of like a crutch can help you walk when your leg is injured. Take it away, and it gets harder.
Initiation is growth, and a way to over come those mental blocks (think Wheel of Time here at the moment). You can over come those mental hurdles, and move one. But when you not only break a geas, but completely throw it aside, it shatters your "world view" of how magic works, permanently scarring your magical ability.

Think of it this way. I have magic, I can make fireballs and fly and bend all sorts of rules. Then I got a datajack, and for some reason, that hinders my ability to channel that magic effectively. So I have to try harder. So I start putting more effort into my castings (say, a gesture geas). Some time down the line, not able to meet that requirement. Say bound and gagged as freinds are tortured. Try to cast a spell, but that darn mental block is there. So it's more difficult to cast. Eventually, it's do or die time, and I have to cast this spell as good as I can, so I say screw it all, and throw the biggest manablot at [insert antagonist here]. It fries 'em, I live. But now my whole view of how magic works is shattered.

Now you could say that this is a way to OVERCOME the geas instead. You proved that you could still do it. BUt the idea is that the geas was taken in the first place to make your magic work. Sort of a voluntary block. YOu CAN overcome it (initiate, shed geas) through a long process, but anything else is more akin to extreme psychological trauma. It's just the way "they" made it. It's how the magic system works in the SR world. They even had it back in ED with the talent crisis. They have it again with Adept ways (more or less) in that deviating form you 'way' effects your ability.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012