Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: At first I was afraid...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nerbert
I was petrified, of having to buy a whole new set of rulebooks.

But, after careful consideration of my new White Wolf games vs my 3rd ed. SR core book, I've decided I'm ok with buying 4th edition as long as it doesn't fall apart within six months.

Seriously people, there's a new standard for P&P RPG production values and whether you like White Wolf or not they put out some gorgeously made books.
Bigity
I should have changed what stupid game, I should have thrown away my dice, but I was wrong..

Yes, the book quality needs to be upgraded.
Vuron
Overall publishing quality has gone up a good deal in the past few years (along with the pricetag) but overall it has been a positive although I'm not sure I want to see lots of hardcover sourcebooks (big hardcover main rulebook is generally enough). I'll probably purchase the game (although I might wait for a second printing to get any unfortunate printing errors out of the way first) but in terms of the base rules a figure it will be a step forward. As for setting I'm a little less confident but as long as some of the more egregious examples given here don't happen I might be willing to overlook some of the dubious choices that are inevitable.
Nerbert
Wow Vuron, I didn't know things were looking so dire.

Sure, printing errors happen. But inevitable dubious choices in the setting?

I was under the impression that the setting was Law and Gospel for the Shadowrun design team, and I havn't really seen any bad ideas yet
Slash_Thompson
QUOTE (Nerbert)
I was under the impression that the setting was Law and Gospel for the Shadowrun design team, and I havn't really seen any bad ideas yet

oh it is, but a five year jump and a rework of the matrix on a conceptual level (along with rules level rework, (like from 2nd to 3rd) ) is 'risky' from a setting standpoint-

the possibility that tech levels will be realigned to be 'future' for early 2000's tech is risky too- I for one would hate 'flying cars' (granted, the 80's expected this too, but SR didn't have them) or any of several other things ('borg conversion kits (you can do it piecewise already, isn't that enough?) realigning magic/machine so they do the same things even conceptually) etc.

it's not that things are 'dire' but from at least one point of view, there will always be mistakes made in the intervening period of metaplot (just look at how poorly SURGE was recieved; or the people who didn't care for how the Super Tuesday plot played out)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012