Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Assault Rifles vs. Carbines
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
kevyn668
So, what's the difference skill wise (in SR not RL) between Assault Rifles, Carbines and SMGs? I was always under the impression that it had something to do w/ the mechanisms involved. Aside from the cartridge the weapon uses there doesn't seem to be that much difference between a chopped down AR or carbine and a SMG. Should the skill list actually look more like Recon/Rifts/Heros Unlimited (The Palladium Multiverse)? Is the sill difference because of effective range? Cyclic rates/ROF? Muzzel velocity? Should there be some general skill of "Automatic Weapons" or "-Rifles"?

And while I'm at it: I've always played (3ed SR, anyway) that if you had the pistols skill you could use a Machine Pistol or one of the burst capable pistols. This doesn't make much sense to me but the groups I played in didn't gripe so "when in Rome". (Plus, I like carrying a Browning and then a burst capable LP for crowd control wink.gif ) It seems like the SMG skill would be more appropriate since most SMG class weapons in SR seem more like Machine Pistols (Ingram m20t smartgun is obviously the descendent of the Ingram m10/ MAC series of Machine Pistols).

So, what do you people think?

FritzZero
Avoiding the real world as directed:

In SR it's all messed up - there are *two* types of canon Carbine (by name), IIRC: the AK-97 Carbine (which is treated like an SNG), and the "carbine" mode of the HK g38 and teh Stey AUG-CSL. The former is a 6M damage/SMG range weapon. The latter manage to pump out 7S damage at Sport Rifle range.

So... There is apparently not just a difference between carbines and Assault Rifles... but a difference between Carbines and Carbines!
kevyn668
I was thinking of the AK when I came up w/ this but been to Raygun's (and playing alot of SOCOM and Metal Gear:Substance lately) and wanted to know if I should create a "Carbine" skill or not. I used to like SMGs b/c of the (cannon) concealablility but if I can get my hands on a Carb w/ a conceal of 4, I'd be pretty happy. But I'd feel like I was Munchin' out....maybe.
FritzZero
i think carbine, in regards to raygun's site, is ultimately more of a range category than anything else - some smgs use carbine ranges, some assault rifles use carbine ranges. Thus, in regards to a specific skill, i would say no, you don't need to have one for carbines - just use the appropriate weapon class skill as listed on his site.

However, if you were to stay canon, and the (crack) CC rules for firearm construction were allowed, you *could* make an assault rifle with 2 levels of improved conceal... but yes, you might be munching out, then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012