Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Equipment FUBOR's
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CradleWorm
Ever wonder why some equipment is so hard to get? Have you noticed that a starting character can have a LAW. I don't know about you, but I think the current availability numbers are a bit off.

My examples... A character looking for high explosive weaponry can easily get his hands on anti tank weapons. Last time I checked, the military kept a close eye on these things. Case in point, a Great Dragon ATGM (Anti-Tank Guided missile) has an availability of 8 and is super cheep in comparison to a mortor. Mortors by the way can be built with cheep tools in your garage... but Guided missiles are another story.

Ever wonder why third world countries today have lots of RPG's and mortors, but no anti-tank guided missile systems? Think about it.

What... you want another example? Okay. Ever wonder why any magician in his right mind would ever enchant anything? Let me tell you. It costs more to enchant new foci then it does to buy them off the street. Plus, since all foci have a simple availability (Power Foci is a 6 for example) and that number never goes up despite the force. So if you have the NuYen, go get yourself a power foci 12, its only a target number 6 to find on the street.

But wait... enchanting a power foci 12 starts at a target number of 23 and can go up up up and take you months to complete and can cost you more karma to bond with it to boot.

Lets hope in Shadowrun 4 the playtesters not only take a look at the basic rules, but how power gamers and rule mongers (like me) can take advantage of them and bend the system.

I'm hoping that this thread can point out the the playtesters all the equipment that should be harder or easier to get. Maintain game balance, but lets not hand out the cookie store or make things impossible.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (CradleWorm)
Have you noticed that a starting character can have a LAW.

Motorcycle gangs around here have been known to use light anti-tank weapons (M72 LAWs or similar designs), so those can't be too hard to get your hands on. LAWs are cheap and small, so rich militaries make hundreds of thousands of them, and them dump them all over the place as more advanced technology comes about. The bigger problem with SR3 LAWs is that they are not armor-piercing weapons at all.

You're absolutely right about the GD ATGM, though. Although I must say I haven't seen mortars used by organized crime either.

(BTW, it's "FUBAR".)
Demosthenes
The IRA is organised crime, and they certainly know how to use mortars.
And surface to air missiles, HMGs, LAWs, RPGs, etc, etc, ad nauseam.

They don't use them much in their criminal endeavours these days - not that they ever did much - but mortar attacks on RUC barracks were a fairly common thing back when I was younger. Fortunately, not any more.

Organised crime not using mortars might have something to do with the fact that they're not really that practical for protection rackets or leaning on drug dealers...

It's not like you can afford a high CEP when you're trying to collect protection money, y'know? cool.gif
Vuron
Personally I'd like the baseline character to be more in keeping with the 85 point ganger character types rather than just short of being prime runners. Consequently high end cybernetics should be relatively rare at start. With cyberdecks going away I don't really see the need to have as archetypes start out with 1,000,000 nuyen at the beginning anymore. Further you can just increase the base point cost for adepts if people start twinking out with adepts instead of samurai characters.
Backgammon
"Gimme yer money, chump"
"Hah! What is that? It's not even a real gun? Is that a laser pointer? What kind of mugger are you? You don't scare me!"
"Dis my friend, is a lasor desinator. My buddy 5 blocks down is manning a mortar with anti-per-so-nel rounds. If u do not comply to my orders, he will begin pummeling this positions with mortar rounds. If dat dun work, my other friend in dat plane up dere will carpet bomb this alley. Now give me yer money!"
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Demosthenes)
The IRA is organised crime [...]

I wouldn't call the IRA organized crime. I don't want to get into what I would call it, because I don't think that sort of discussion is good for a RPG forum, or indeed any forum. By "organized crime" I mean the mafia, large gangs, that sort of thing.

QUOTE (Demosthenes)
Organised crime not using mortars might have something to do with the fact that they're not really that practical for protection rackets or leaning on drug dealers...

Neither are LAWs, yet they seem to have those. Maybe they've only seen them used in movies and think they're useful against people or buildings.
Arethusa
Yeah, but, to be fair, LAWs are potentially more useful than mortars in an urban situation.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
(BTW, it's "FUBAR".)

= Fuck(ed) Up Beyond All Recognition

That is all.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Yeah, but, to be fair, LAWs are potentially more useful than mortars in an urban situation.

In an ambush-type situation, yes. Otherwise I can't think of very good uses for LAWs in MOUT -- the M72 LAW causes very little damage to personnel unless you directly hit them, doesn't penetrate building materials well, and when it does it just punches a very small hole in them. In a suburban area, I'd definitely take a mortar over LAWs for most situations. A couple of 81mm mortar hits at and around that drug dealer's base of operations and I'm sure he'll feel leaned upon.
CradleWorm
Okay... FUBOR was a typo... but it got your attention silly.gif
Lindt
Compaired to a LAW though, you have to be good to use a morter. A LAW is much more point-and-click, where a morter is more, fire-adjust, fire-adjust, fire-adjust.
Not that I have first hand experance in such things. Going on a hunch and all.
Austere Emancipator
That's true. I managed to hit the tank dummy square in the turret ring at 100 meters the first time I fired a practice rocket LAW, so it can't be too difficult at least against an immobile target. But that ease-of-use isn't enough to make the LAW a worthwhile MOUT weapon, because of its very weak performance against any kind of target other than light armored vehicles.

Modern fire control gear (laser rangefinders, etc) ought to make accurate LoS fire at short ranges quite simple with mortars. I wouldn't want to try it in urban terrain through a separate spotter and no computer fire control, though.
Club
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
(BTW, it's "FUBAR".)

Beyond All Recognition

That is all.

The version I know is Beyond All Repair
RunnerPaul
Beyond All Reason is another good one. It implies that to repair it, you'll have to crack a Repair Manual that's filled with Things Mechanics Weren't Meant To Know.
Austere Emancipator
Can be "... all recognition", "... all repair" or even "... all reason". Google says recognition is most common (4040 vs 1760 vs 105 hits for "fubar 'fucked up beyond all [recognition/repair/reason]'").
GrinderTheTroll
I prefer the "Tango & Cash" version personally.
imperialus
QUOTE (Lindt)
Compaired to a LAW though, you have to be good to use a morter. A LAW is much more point-and-click, where a morter is more, fire-adjust, fire-adjust, fire-adjust.

scary thought about twinking out a SR character to use a morter.

Edge: Photographic memory
Cyberware: Math CPU
Skill: Morter 6 (or whatever you want to put into it)

1) Scout the area ahead of time ideally on foot but even from a distance using binoculars and a rangefinder.
2) Memorize target area.
3) Find a safe firing location, set up morter in the back of a truck that the rigger keeps reved up.
4) calculate the required trajectories useing your memory and the math CPU
5) fire. dead.gif biggrin.gif
Demosthenes
@AE:
[ Spoiler ]

As to Mortars in urban combat...why stop with a Math SPU? Stick in a GPS unit and an orientation system as well. Then things start to get to be real fun...
Austere Emancipator
Demosthenes:
[ Spoiler ]

...with 3D-mapsofts of the surrounding area, a direct feed from your favorite weather forecasts. And if you happen to have a really big budget (and you probably do, if you can score the Avail 18(!) mortar rounds), use a spotter /w a target designator and seeker rounds exclusively.
Dizzo Dizzman
There are a few things I would like to see out of the hands of newbie players. Specifically the Ares Alpha. With the extra recoil comp. why would any self respecting Sam start with any other A.R.? Or even a LMG for that matter?

The Savalette Guardian is another gun that is a wee bit too powerful for a starting gun.
Grimtooth
Who know maybe all this equipment that everybody wants revamped will be obsolete.

I'm thinking
9m Charge pistols
Render rifles
Stutter Pistols....

rotfl.gif
Garland
The Render requires manipulation of gravity, which, I'm guessing, is not gonna happen.

Ah, Alternity, where didst thou go?
Grimtooth
actually that was the mass pistol. That was why i left it off

the render rifle was basically a flechette shotgun.

/edit nope you're right it has something to do with gravity
Garland
The mass pistol was the one that shot singularities (yikes!). You're thinking of the autoflechette shotgun.
Grimtooth
That's the one!!!!!

oh well obsolete game anyway....

Young Freud
QUOTE (Dizzo Dizzman)
There are a few things I would like to see out of the hands of newbie players. Specifically the Ares Alpha. With the extra recoil comp. why would any self respecting Sam start with any other A.R.? Or even a LMG for that matter?

The Savalette Guardian is another gun that is a wee bit too powerful for a starting gun.

I'd like to see more "poor-man's" guns, like the Sandler TMP, in the core book. Basically, POS guns that you can have characters start with or arm gang members.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012