Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Virtual Knowledge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kanada Ten
No longer worry about distracting visual overlays or media. No longer concern yourself with learning every nook and cranny of the city; someone has done it for you. Looking for a bridal shop? A thousand reviews wait for your call, not on the ‘trix, but in you memories. Finding the quickest way there is no more difficult than remembering the way home. If you suddenly want something to eat on the way, you’ll instantly remember what restaurants are open and what the food tastes like. Want to watch a movie? Not only do we offer reviews, but you will know where to find it and all the facts about the actors just by thinking about it. Plus, you can test drive a movie memory to see if you’ll like it before you watch it! Never fumble for a pick-up line or be lost when the subject turns to particle physics, and all for a low pay-per-thought cost starting at only 1¥ (subject to availability). Best of all, you’ll know exactly how much credit you have on tap all the time (including the time) without even looking at you credstick.

A populace knowing everything without learning it, a service for those willing to sell their thoughts, a world where commonsense means something new. Competing services, advertisements, the line between infommercial and education eroded beyond recognition.
Eyeless Blond
Wow, that's a frightening... and somewhat exciting thought. The bandwith required, though, not to mention leaving your brain painfully open to a wireless feed (*easy* brainhacking) probably wouldn't make it very feasable though. I think the current system of knowsofts is good enough.
RunnerPaul
And your friendly neighborhood Hacker willing to install spam filters for you, at a nominal fee.
CradleWorm
I'm thinking about fresh Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar cheese. It's aroma, the way my mouth waters when I can smell its crisp scent. My stomach churns and the thought of this wonderful cheese, and it's making me hungry.

>>>>> The closest stuffer shack is two blocks away. They carry 4 brands of Sharp

>>>>> Cheddar from Wisconsin, even one made from real milk. It's expensive, but

>>>>> worth the extra 4 nuyen.gif per pound. I've still got 63 nuyen.gif on this stick,

>>>>> enough for a pound of cheese. Hurry!

Ah... advertising for the brain. Where do I sign up!
GunnerJ
That's just horrific to comtemplate. Every time you get a slight craving, the voices in your head tell you to gratify it. It'd be like being possesed by the demons of Madison fucking Avenue. A whole nation either zombie slaves to their uplink, or shattered to insanity trying to fight it off. Or, well, I guess, going rustic and living without it, or being teh leet enough to disable the adverts, but you get the idea.
mfb
mmm. dark futurelicious.
Synner
If somebody hasn't been reading Peter Hamilton's "Pandora Star", he should.
Cray74
Heck, if someone interested in augmented reality isn't reading GURPS: Transhuman Space, they should be. The G:TS Toxic Memes sourcebook talks about an environment with decades of "augmented reality" and the efforts to get your attention.
DrJest
QUOTE (Synner)

I'm wary of getting into another Peter Hamilton series. I loved Mindstar Rising and Quantum Murder, but although I enjoyed the Night's Dawn trilogy once through I'm not sure I'd have the intestinal fortitude to read it again. He's a great writer, no doubt, who juggles a whole bundle of storylines and characters, but I felt that he used too many of them in Night's Dawn; it became quite exhausting to read (and this is from someone who's read and enjoyed the Silmarillion smile.gif ). From the reviews, Pandora Star looks like it's setting up to be on a similar scale to Night's Dawn.
DrJest
The G:TS Toxic Memes sourcebook

Nothing to do with G: TS (it just reminded me), but peripherally something that might have potential; in one issue of Warren "We Are Not Worthy" Ellis' Global Frequency, the threat isn't terrorists or disasters - it's an idea. An alien invasion via a meme, in fact.

With 90% of the population "jacked in" to virtuality at some point, someone who could come up with a Virtuality Virus could really ruin your day.
Vertaxis666
Another thing to remember is being targeted by automated systems.

Remember the automated advertising in Minority Report. You walk by a storefront, and their live ads ID you by name as they target you as a consumer. The security team walking by then notices you and targets you with an assault rifle.

This kind of thing will be a boon to security riggers and a few automated shell scripts.

You'll have to make sure you have a good fake SIN otherwise you'll be tagged for carrying a fake, or tagged for not carrying one at all.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 23 2005, 02:08 PM)
The bandwith required, though, not to mention leaving your brain painfully open to a wireless feed (*easy* brainhacking) probably wouldn't make it very feasable though.

Mum, true. However, most of it wasn't so much real knowsoft level - compared to such it would be below rating 1 knowledge - but more how Cradle Worm describes it along with removing the "visual" aspect of augmented reality. Does that make sense? Or sound more feasible?

QUOTE (Synner)

Who has time to read?! I want to download it into my brain!!!
Kanada Ten
Celebrity Skin now offers the smoothest, most realistic personality skins to match the latest in our AR’icon fashion. Not only can your icon look like Karl Kombatmage, but you can saunter like him too! His trademarked accent and wit are yours, all without harmful side effects*. Featuring over two hundred copyrighted celebrity personalities and thousands of icons. Masquerade everyday for less with Celebrity Skin.

Extended use of P’skins can dilute personalities and lead to Dissociation Syndrome. Not recommended for those without strong personalities, children, and teenagers. If symptoms of memory loss, personality lapses or chills appear, discontinue use immediately and seek psychiatric help. Not intended for continuous use.

Maybe these two ideas can be more about integrating knowsofts and simsense chips with AR.
Eyeless Blond
Man, that is the creepiest idea I've heard in a long time. Kudos, man, you've just given me my next nightmare. smile.gif
Fortune
Kanada Ten has a flair for that.

Now if he'd only get off his butt and continue his work on the Ancients ...

wink.gif
Kanada Ten
Hey, watch out, we started playing again. Managed two days in two sessions of four hours. Next session will be spent mostly in combat and flight, maybe even get to the 23rd, of December, 2060... I might have something to say about the Chicago Situation depending on what happens.
Fortune
I've been sorely tempted on a number of occasions to transpose the entire thread over to the new forums, both for the benefit of those that may not have read it, and to spark your creativity in that direction yet again. biggrin.gif
Kanada Ten
Somebody beat you to it. 'Sides, I doubt most people like my Romeo and Juliet vision of them.
Fortune
Damn, is that the entire thread? It was put up during my somewhat brief absense, and I didn't even notice. frown.gif
Demosthenes
I like that idea.
Just think how much fun it would be if you were to combine it with skillwires...

Rtg 3 Alphaware Skillwire system with 27MP addressable memory: nuyen.gif 83000
Alphaware Wireless Datajack and 30mp headware memory: nuyen.gif 22000
UCAS Online Account: nuyen.gif 30/month

Download from the |<ama 5utra online Database...
nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012