Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vehical design comp
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
rozark69
Ok I was thinking about seeing who can design the best vehicle.Now I was thinking some of us post our veicles here then we will all judge them.Im working on a Hummer with NOS in the back a scene from bad boys two is what Im thinking of there.Looking for someone to design the jaw dropper.Lets see who can do it.My moneys on Fortune,or Torrrs but we will see.I was also thinking of doing the Hog from Halo.so lets see what you all got. the catogories are varied in that it can be a street car,a combat vehicle or even a new bike.or tank or roter craft what ever.If you not intrested in contest dont post anything.smile.gif thanks.
Fortune
I absolutely suck at vehicle design! It is one of the areas of Shadowrun (Decking being the other) in which I have very little experience.

edit: I responded before actually reading your last sentence. My bad! embarrassed.gif smile.gif
Capt. Dave
What are the limits, if any?
Edward
We need limits, and the roll the vehicle should fill.

May I suggest a starting character available rigger command and control vehicle costing under 500k.

Edward
Digital Heroin
Here's the deal, though. Wadda we win, eh? Board cred?

*loves designing vehicles, if only because of a chemical imbalance in his head, so will enter regardless, unless the prize is a furby, then will have to win to carve the sucker out, fill it with C4, and mail it back to whoever sent it*
Shockwave_IIc
K. I've been given permission to speak for him this.

Ok, basics. No military vehicles. Security is fine however.
Cost: Unlimited, just so you can have some fliers around.
Avilability, I'm going to Guesstimate around the 12 mark, so no not aviliable to starting characters, but not to difficult to get once your going (assuming you have the cash.)

Bonus points. You don't have to be a rigger to get the best out of it (yes this gimps drones)
Cool description (with pics)
And the a good background as to why this vehcile exists.

Maybe more will be added once he gets his lazy arse out of bed. nyahnyah.gif
rozark69
Thank you for that Shockwave,yes those are the guidlines and the prize unfortunatly is only the rest of us going ooo and ahhh, Its about respect peeps, and well I thought vehicles was a good place to earn some if you know what you on about, as in vehicle design is not as hard as decking and its not as easy as pissing your GM off because you insist your character can manifest burning hands after only having seen it once.We are looking for vehicles under Shockwaves suggested guidlines but they are guidlines.I just wanted to see how many out there could design jaw dropping eye popping kit that everybody wants, and if the powers that be catch sight of it who knows where it could end up.So good luck to all.I hope more then just a few enter.

If it wasnt for that last voice in my head I might just go on a killing spree.
Tarantula
As far as jaw dropping goes.... You can make sports cars that drive at least at mach 1, if not 2. I think racing bikes can get up there too. Aircraft can get infinately worse. We need more than just something. Fastest? Most well armed? Most useful? etc.
rozark69
Design something that goes fast looks good and can take a few hits design something that a shadow runnner could use but leagally get away with on the surface at least, Shockwaves design specs I recon covered what we looking for,something anybody can use not really available for a starting character that means it costs a lot too.If you want to do your own version of something thats already out there thats cool too.Start designing people try to do something unique in your projects like wow I dont know the polyrithemier (spelling) in the James Bond movie was pritty cool.Im throwing a Hummer together thats fast and built like a brick shit house.the projects arent the main focus but as Shockwave put it how it came into being as well.I feel Ive covered the requirements I hope I have any more questions please dont hesitaite to ask.
History on vehicle and who built it could earn extra points this is simuler to Shockwaves Npc thread but for veihcles
For instence the Bike in Tron any one want to take a crack at that?
The Hog in Halo?

Imagination can unlock many doors

Tarantula
Its near impossible to design hard to destroy cars in SR. The only thing you can really do is pile the armor on, and then you don't have a hummer, you have a tank.
rozark69
first rule see what we come up with if we want to pile armour on we sacrifice speed so we got to balance it.Im working on mine you work on yours and we shall objectivly pick them apart once weve posted our masterpieces.
Tarantula
You don't sacrifice speed for armor though. You sacrifice load bearing ability.

The way the rules work, a hummer would probably get body 4 depending on what base chassis you used. Thats it. That means, at best, it can stage a normal round down 3 times (once from being a vehicle, and 2 more from good body rolls). AV it might get to stage down up to twice, most likely only once if at all.

The only way to make a vehicle tougher, is to up the armor to such a level that it doesn't have to make any damage resistance check for most weapons, removing the problem of having such a low body.

I'm saying due to the mechanics of the game, you can't have extra tough vehicles that aren't heavily armored.
rozark69
Tarantula post your vehicle you know a lot about the rules ok challange,you do the hog from halo lets see you put it to paper.
Tarantula
The halo hog is indestructable. Thusly, it can't be made in shadowrun.
rozark69
Make a dune buggy with independunt suspension then and in reality it will be destructable we taking it out of the computer game now.
rozark69
[/QUOTE]The halo hog is indestructable. Thusly, it can't be made in shadowrun.

We playing a game where I can be an Elf who runs across a small lake great leaps a massive hight landing with flaming fists of doom smacking many with multi strike and you saying we cant take the Hog concept from Halo and put it into our world of Elves dragons and guns?
end of day if you want to particpiat thats great, if not thats cool too.A person of your Intellect I would look forward to what you could come up with.All I had to say
Tarantula
Dune buggy.
Off-road suspension.
Small Turret, MG on it. I can't do the unlimited ammo either.
There ya go, halo dune buggy, except dune buggies only get 2 seats if i remember right, so throw in an extra bucket seat too.

Done.
rozark69
Take back what I said about looking forward to what you can do.my bad.sorry.
Tarantula
I'm at work without books. Recreating a basic jeep isn't very hard. Your "challenge" is very broad. I asked for more specifics, you told me to make the halo jeep. Which equates to an offroading jeep with a machinegun on it. Thats about it. A third seat got added because I think a dune buggy only comes with 2 standard. There should be plent of CF/Load for that and the turret, use up the rest of the CF with ammo bins for the gun. Throw in roll bars (actually, mandatory for the turret), add in rag-top so that its convertabile like the jeep. Add speed/accel/load up to the max if you felt like it. Drop a few into improved sig while your at it. You could probably fit on 2-4 points of armor also. Give it off-road tires. Maybe even a few improved handlings, but from the roll propensity of the halo jeep, maybe not.
rozark69
Thats more like it, detail is what we want I mean any fool (not attacking anyone) can say I got an off road Jeep,what I want really is a Npc thread for guys who cant roll vehicles to come on in and select one that means needing the sig,body bla bla all the bells in whistles that sort of thing.was just a thought really.
hermit
The halo hog is indestructable. Thusly, it can't be made in shadowrun.

Well, it can be wasted in Halo 2 ...
rozark69
Very good observation Hermit,any hints at what you will be contributing to our thread? by way of vehicle design?
rozark69
Questions on few ideas:
1.Anyone familuar with the hover bikes in Halo? are they possible do you think?
2.The Tron bikes,Basically a really fast fully closed bike that can do 0/1 manuvers maybe.A Bike that can turn 90% any thoughts on that.
3.Back to Halo anyone thought about the Banshee? those single piolet flying vehicles.
4.whats the fastest car today on the road and whats the fastest bike.How fast can we get our vehicles in 2064?
5.Ive seen specs for the Whisper craft from The Sixth Day anyone else thought about that.
6.Hover type shoes from Highlander two anyone considsered that?
7.Hover board from Back to the futer 2 whats everyones opinions.

All Im trying to do is create a thread of vehicle varierty,now vehicles arnt the easiest to design even some of our resident experts dont find it the easiest.My self included (although I am no expert) so Im trying to create something that vehicle experts can show us how its done and thought it be fun if we all voted on the best one.So come on people.

Planes,trains and automobiles oh my!

Herald of Verjigorm
1. Light hovercraft chassis is only body 3, so it could almost pass for a hover-bike.
2. Rigger adapted, DBW 3, structural agility, etc.
3. Small vector thrust craft, closest weapons you can get are Ares vehicle lasers.
6. Even the smallest vector thrust drone I can find would be too big to use in pairs for this role, and no other chassis idea seems to work better.
7. A methane powered skimmer drone may be able to fill this role.
DocMortand
Actually creating the Tron bike isn't too hard frankly. There are more insane bikes out there. It's creating the light wall that emerges out the rear of the bike that is SOLID will be the trick.

I'm thinking magic - some kind of barrier that uses the impression left from the tires as the location of the wall? That fades with distance?
rozark69
I forgot all about the wall, but as you have perked an Idea.Are there any um vehicles that can be used with magic.Like for instance the Tron bike or any bike there for that could have a spell cast on it that could do the wall of light thing that would fade over distance Im sure.
So DocMortand you say there are freakier bike examples like what?
furthermore will you be contributing your own vehicle to the thread?
DocMortand
Eh, my first exploration into vehicle creation was recreating Hero's dreadnought from scratch and incorporating more tricks into it. It's nasty as heck. *shrug* Do a search for power armor and it'll come up.

As far as nasty bikes - I know several bikes can do the wierdest tricks with auto-stabilization units, etc. Not to mention the whole Mach 1-2 thing...
rozark69
Doc you entering the comp? on that note is anybody posting an entry? Question to the forum: how fast can we make a Hummer go? with NOS, what ever whats the fastest we can get it moving, and safely get out of it afterwards?
DocMortand
Well so far I got a chopper-style bike going 310.2 in max speed. Current stats:
Vulpine Demon
Handling: 2/3
Speed: 310.2
Accel: 16
Body/Armor: 2/0
Sig: -1 (for all purposes 2)
Autonav: 4
Sensor: 0
Seating: 2m
Fuel: Gas (20 L)
Econ: 11.9 km/L
Chass: Chopper
Design pts (so far): 2516 x Markup(.3) = 754.8 so current price would be 75,480.
Load remaining: 308
CF remaining: 7.5
Options done: Max Accel, Econ, CF, Load, Spd. Smart materials, Lvl 1 Engine Upgrade, Nitro, Turbocharge 3, Autonav 4, CMC 9, DBW 3, gyro-stabilizer.

Obviously more can be done, but I'll let others play around with it if they wish. THey know where I've gone and what I've done.
rozark69
I like the nane very much.
Straw Man
Here's a luxury sedan I made that has speed only slightly less than a Dynamit, but rocks an amazing 6 sig.

There's equipment missing, because it was intended to take further customization. As is, there's a nice sedan base with plenty of room for bells and whistles.

Custom Vehicle: Saeder-Krupp Charade "Panther" Custom

Design Breakdown:
Chassis: Sedan: 50
Power Plant: Electric Fuel Cell: 60
Extra Entry Points: 2d: 0
Accel Inc: 5: 124
Handling Inc: -2/-4: 150
Inc CF: 24: 120
Load Inc: 375: 37.5
Sign Imp: +1: 200
Speed Inc: 60: 120
Removed Manual Controls: 50
Smart Materials: 100
- Inc Load: 56: 5.6
- Speed Inc: 21: 42
- Acc Inc: 2: 50

DP: 1110.1
Base Cost: 111,010
S.I.: 2
Total Cost: 222,020

Customization Breakdown:
Engine Customization: Speed (+30): 15
Superconductive Drive 1: Speed (+15): 45
AutoNav Rating 2: 10 Points
Remote-Control Interfaces: (+1 Pilot): 75
Rigger Adaptation: 35
Armor (Personal) 6: (-36 kg): 30
RC Encryption Module 6: 300

Customization DP: 510
Base Cost + Customization: 162670
S.I.: 2
Total Cost: 355340
hermit
Very good observation Hermit,any hints at what you will be contributing to our thread? by way of vehicle design?

Hint: see below.

[ Spoiler ]
DocMortand
Very cool! Saves me the effort of building it, that's for sure...*grin*
hermit
Could you, pretty please with sugar on top, research the ruthenium polymer cost? Please?

And it was actually fun to desgin this one. It's not 100% authentic (grumble grumble stupid rules say no HV-LMG in cyberlimgs grumble grumble) but as close as I could get. I might try myself on some other vehicles too.
Shadow
This looks like a good place to pimp my Vehicle Creation Tool aka Rigger tool. I used it to create the following. I created this chopper for an ex millitary rigger who retired to run a combat air taxi service in Seattle. The chopper is based on the Russian Hind

[ Spoiler ]
hermit
The current MIL 24 has four (or six?) firmpoint, too, and can carry up to eight soldiers. But a nice copter anyway. Dirt cheap too.
Austere Emancipator
As far as Shadowrun is concerned, the Mi-24 Hind (and successors), in most configurations, simply has 6 missile/rocket mounts and 1 (if you consider the twin 30mm or 23mm cannons a single autocannon) or 2 (if you consider them 2 autocannons) hardpoints or a single medium turret (for the 12.7mm gatling). Note that this is impossible on a Utility Helo chassis.

But like hermit said, it's a nice helo, and most people aren't as anal about military hardware as us two so don't worry. wink.gif

[Edit]I thought I remember'd doing up stats for the Hind...
[ Spoiler ]
Shadow
Oh trust me, I have seen these bad boys in action and I know all about them. Unfortunately I was on a budget, both monetarily and availability wise. So my reasoning was this was a futuristic model that had been created for light security work. Thanks for the props! It was my first real attempt at navigating the R3 rule and I think it turned out well.
hermit
Yeah. Good work!

And for a dearmed variant, it is realistic enough. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
If I ever go schizo/if people finally find out I'm schizo, please let me dream up a babe like Jennifer Connelly.

Now, with more time on my hands, a few things about your design:
First time reading it through, I didn't even realize you made it an EFC vehicle. That should have pre-empted the criticism put forward by me and hermit. wink.gif

I personally think using something like SunCell Power for a helicopter is, well, not easily justified morally. smile.gif The rules certainly make it a great option, especially considering that such a helo might be expected to loiter in the sky for extended periods of time, but based on RL logic it shouldn't really work for this, certainly not for a stealthy helo. Of course, neither should a lot of other stuff in Rigger 3, so this isn't a problem.

It seems to me that this vehicle would profit more from an RC encryption module than from an RC decryption module. Based on my understanding of the remote control and EW rules (and it is very limited to say the least), encryption is almost a must and getting it at 6 won't hurt if you intend to make much use of the remote control interface on a vehicle as powerful as an attack helo. On the other hand, decryption will not be too useful unless you take it at a very high rating and use the vehicle in an EW role often.

The way I see it, Sensors-6 is the minimum for a mainline combat vehicle, otherwise a decent ECM-system will fool you too easily. And on this vehicle, upgrading from 4 to 6 only increases the final cost by 10875 nuyen, so it's a bargain. Those 3 extra dice for all Sensor Tests won't hurt, either. Of course, this gets into min/max-territory.

Continuing with the min/max-stuff, adding Power Amps-10 to any vehicle whose sensors you want to rely upon is a very, very good idea. 7250 nuyen for 10(!) more dice on all Sensor, ECM and ECCM tests, and a bunch of other advantages -- quite the bargain. I understand that this may well not fit a particular design, and style and game world logic should definitely be more important than min/maxing; this is why my Mi-24D design doesn't have power amps either.

You might want to increase the fuel capacity. At 0.3km/PF and 450PF, you're looking at an operational radius of about 60km. SunCells help, but they still only give you 100PF/hour (which limits you to hovering around at 30km/h), and only half that in cloudy weather and none at all at night or in heavy overcast. The AH-64 has an operational range with standard load at sealevel of 400km, which would take 2667 units of fuel at 0.3km/unit. And the Mi-24, as alluded in my earlier post, needs 1840l of fuel at 0.25km/l to get it's official operational range in SR.

But this is just my normal nitpicking self, so don't take it too hard. The vehicle design rules are really, really hard to use, as evidenced by several past threads.

And why the hell did I just become a lizard?
Fortune
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
And why the hell did I just become a lizard?

Because you spend way too much time here. wink.gif
Straw Man
Encryption is certainly more important than decryption. Unless your vehicle has a hardwired remote deck, autosoft interp, and ewar chip, that module should be on your deck (or in your head, if you're a masochist with a CRCD).

Encryption modules are expensive though. Better to sweet-talk your decker buddy into knocking one up with his Computer (programming) skill, but Ewar is a dodgy section that even I have trouble figuring out, and usually, I just leave my system open. The 30 minute base time on frequency detection means that the opposing rigger, even if he is actively scanning for freqs, won't even find me in the timeframe of a standard operation. But it depends largely on the House Rules of your game.

I'm just curious as to what sorts of payouts Austere typically commands, if he demands nothing less than Sensor 6/ECCM 6. Some of us are on a budget, here.

Here, chew on this one. It's a never-ran intended for my crazy Junk Shaman concept. A little hopper for barnstorming in. It's not fully min-maxed, but is fun to zip around in, and can be purchased from chargen for almost nothing (I was running short of points thanks to the character concept)

"The Contraption"
Body: 3
CF: 3.5
Handling: 4
Armor: 6p
Autonav: 3
Pilot: 3
Sensor: 4
Seating: 1
Entry: open
Load: 25
Spd: 200
Sig: 8
Fuel Code: 50
Econ: .2

Accessories: Autogyro Chassis, Electric Fuel Cell Power Plant, Advanced Drone Pilot 3, Autonav 3, Remote Control Interfaces, Datajack Port, Armor Personal Rating 6, Roll Bars, Power Amplifiers Rating 6, Sensor Upgrade 1-> 4, Spotlight, Transponder Library Chip Rating 6, Autosoft Interperetation System 3, APPS, Crash Cage, Electronics Ports 2
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Straw Man)
I'm just curious as to what sorts of payouts Austere typically commands, if he demands nothing less than Sensor 6/ECCM 6. Some of us are on a budget, here.

I'm always the GM. I can command a payment of any size. wink.gif
The way I see it, though, if you can't afford decent gear, don't get yourself an attack helo. Upgrading Sensors-4 to Sensors-6 will cut down the possibility of being fooled by ECM to around 1/4th, and I think that's worth a bit over 10,000.
Shadow
Well it wasn't really an attack helo. It is a taxi helo that can defend itself or its clients if need be. But I mut have done some of the figuring wrong cause I came out with a 160 klick range and a much faster speed then 30 kph hovering.
hermit
I'd think that for a sensitive people transport service, deception, ECM/ECCM, and the likes would be more important than weapons (with a smaller helo, if you get into a fight with a banshee, you already are in deep shit). But that's only how I would approach the egneral concept; I have no idea how you play this air taxi for those living a dangerous life. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
Shadow: 450PF x 0.3km/PF = 135km. Operational radius = getting to the operational area, doing your thing, and getting back out = less than 67.5km in this case. Of course, when only used to get from A to B with refueling at both locations, the range is 135km.

The 30km/hour is based on the fact that the SunCells will provide the vehicle with 100PF per hour under clear skies. With 100PF, the vehicle can move 30km. For almost unlimited hovering, then, the vehicle can just hang around moving at 30km/h or less and it will have net power input. Of course it can also move at a higher speed and just use the SunCells to slow down the rate of PF use -- under clear skies, at 100km/h it has a range of 192.8km, and still 168.8km at 150km/h. Still pretty short, even for a helo.

For purely a defensive vehicle, ECCM is almost useless -- and even for offensive vehicles, you're usually better off boosting your Sensors and Power Amplifiers first (to at least 6 and 10, respectively) before getting ECCM. ECM can be useful, but I'd actually go for ED. With a Signature over 6, even ED-1 or 2 can make a huge difference, for just 21,750 or 43,500. Meanwhile you'd need to have at least ECM-6 (145,000 nuyen for this vehicle) and those Power Amps-10 to get any meaningful bonus from that.
Shadow
This is what I love about DSF. The education. I need to redesign it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012