Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canon Companion Errata updated
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Spookymonster
For those of you not monitoring the shadowrunrpg RSS feed, the Canon Companion Errata has just been updated. Nothing earthshaking, but figured I'd mention it.

Oh, and someone on Ebay is selling a 16x4 ft miniatures diarama formerly used by FASA at trade shows (also from the RSS feed).
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Spookymonster)
For those of you not monitoring the shadowrunrpg RSS feed, the Canon Companion Errata has just been updated. Nothing earthshaking, but figured I'd mention it.

I see that they haven't reversed their erroneous errata on the ratings of the Camo Jacket and the Camo Full Suit back to the right values.

I hope they see the error of their ways when they do the SR4 stats for those items.
Fortune
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
I see that they haven't reversed their erroneous errata on the ratings of the Camo Jacket and the Camo Full Suit back to the right values.

I hope they see the error of their ways when they do the SR4 stats for those items.

I bitched about that when it first happened, and was heavily flamed by quite a number of people on the forums at the time.
Kagetenshi
What was the issue?

~J
Critias
Your anger confuses me.

How is the full suit being less armored than the jacket the "right values?" And, for that matter, how is your interpretation (and not the official one) the "right values?"

I don't see what the issue/confusion/frustration is. When you're wearing just the BDU jacket, you get less armor than when you have on the BDU jacket and the rest of the outfit. How does that bit of errata not make sense? Where's the issue here?
Glyph
The jacket isn't "part of" the suit. They are two completely different items. The suit is what the name implies, namely a jumpsuit.

The armor value of 3/1 for the jacket seems strange to some people because both the armored and secure jackets have ratings of 5/3, while getting a jacket with camo seems to suddenly reduce its protective value to less than that of the secure ultra-vest.

The armor value of 5/3 for the suit seems strange to some people because that is far more than they usually give to clothing-style armor.

So, people think the two values have incorrectly been switched, because ratings of 5/3 for the camo jacket and 3/1 for the camo suit would be much more consistent with how similar pieces of armor are rated.

However, the errata has reviewed the stats and apparently thinks they are fine the way they are. Plus, if you look at the weights (2 kg for the suit, which is about the same as an armored jacket, while the camo jacket is only 1.5 kg), it doesn't seem quite as illogical. The min-maxer in me likes having some 5/3 clothing-type armor to layer with an armored coat or jacket. It makes the camo jacket pretty weak, though.
Critias
I've always pictured it exactly as I described above -- a set of BDU's. Not a jumpsuit like hunters wear, but a full-on (armored, because everything in SR is armored) military-surplus style full outfit...that, if you wish, can be mostly ditched for just the jacket. No real discrepency there.
Fortune
The Jacket originally weighed 2 (equivalent to the Armor Jacket), while the Clothing weighed 1.5, a little less than Armored Clothing (but no concealability). What should have been switched were the original prices only, making the Jacket 1200 and the Clothing 800. Then it would make sense to wear the Clothing normally, and throw the Jacket on overtop when trouble starts.

And Critias ... what anger? I made a statement. It was more restrained and contained much less vitriol than some of your recent posts.
Critias
Once again, my post wasn't directly solely at you, but rather at the group of people (yourself included) calling it erroneous errata, an error, and mentioning that you bitched (and were flamed as a result).

All of which kind of adds up to, or at least gives the appearance of, some anger and frustration over the subject.
RunnerPaul
So to sum up, those of us who stick to the armor ratings as published in the first printing of Fields of Fire belive that to maintain consistancy with the two other "jacket" style armors previously published, the Camo Jacket should also have a 5/3 rating. Similarly, the Camo Suit should be considered in the same class as Armored Clothing & SecureTech Clothing (both 3/0) except that it's been ruggedized with a little bit of impact protection (which is where the 3/0 turns into a 3/1).

And unless they actually add in a third statline that represents "the rest of the outfit" minus the Jacket, with an armor rating of 2/2, I personally will continue to disregard any suggestion that the Suit is 5/3 and the Jacket is 3/1.
Critias
*shrug* Okay.
Elve
Is the new errata missing or is it just a back announcement for december last year?
Adam
3.0 is the latest; I'm just behind on getting the errata online. Expect more in the coming days as I catch up on the backlog.
Lindt
Wow, that sucker is huge. Pity I dont have the money or the space (or a need what so ever). But if someone from New England happens to buy it, Im up for a road trip...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012