Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dunklezahn
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kremlin KOA
Cmon peeps they made him president when we showed our popular support, only by raising hands and voices can we save Dunky from a metaplanar existence as a cyberzombie.
Sandoval Smith
Whoooo YEAH!

Master Shake for Line Developer! Give that boy a seven figure salary and a shiny new donkey!
Arethusa
(explaining jokes makes them unfunny)
RunnerPaul
I was going to vote "Other" with the explantion:
"Not just No, but HELL NO!
But I figured that a plain "No" vote with the same explanation would better serve my intended purpose.
Fortune
Icewing for President in 2068!

Oh, and I voted no.
Kagetenshi
He should die along with Burnout, leaving the world in the direct path of the Horrors once more.

~J
Dizzo Dizzman
I'd like to see Ghostwalker strip him out of Burnout and set him free.
Demonseed Elite
I don't think he should come back. I just really wish the whole assassination plotline resolution had been handled better.
Kagetenshi
Now's your chance to fix that mistake! Rebuild the bridge!

~J
hermit
I don't think he should come back. I just really wish the whole assassination plotline resolution had been handled better.

Yeah ... pretty much like SURGE should have been handled better. 'Nice ideas gone bad, part 2'.

Also, what's dead is dead, and Dunky resurrection would not only waste the whole metaplot after his demise, but also make the game incredibly cheesy. I mean, what'd he be then, blue scaly jesus monster?

In case you didn't get the hint, it's a NO!!!!! from my side.

EDIT: And what hints are you talking about?
Grinder
No. No more of that crappy Dunkelzahn-plot, please not. And please let no other GD become the good one who cares about humanity and only wnats their best. Please not. GD and IE's are the unlovable bad-asses and that's the way it should be.
DrJest
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)

I think my wife has the makings of a true shadowrunner. I was describing the background of the world to her ready to play a game, and when I finished with the Dunkelzahn assassination (not having progressed much past that at the time) her only comment was "Anyone see the body?"

Before I found out about the fallout from Dunk's death etc, I was considering a situation where Dunk faked his death for some reason.

And Grinder, I think you'll find Harlequin gives a damn about metahumanity smile.gif
Grinder
Harl is an IE. He stinks, like all the others. smile.gif
DrJest
QUOTE (Grinder)
Harl is an IE. He stinks, like all the others. smile.gif

((Overheard somewhere in the Mediterranean))

<sniff... sniff...>

"Dammit, Frosty, you said this stuff lasted 24 hours!"
psykotisk_overlegen
No, he shouldn't come back from the dead. I liked Dunkie, but going arround ressurecting him now is just too much.
Having an impostor pretend to be the ressurected Dunkelzahn however might be an idea......no, forget I ever said that.
Vuron
He probably shouldn't come back and IMHO he should be followed into the great hereafter by a good 50% of the GDs but if they can do a decent explanation of him faking his death (using a spell construct of some sort) and hiding out as Nadia Daviar then it could be interesting. However I'd really think people would call all sorts of BS on that. Of course some people might like someone like Vasdenjas or Vestrivian coming back from the dead before Dunkelzahn.
Shalimar
What are the odds that a corp somewhere is making a robot dragon and for some god awful reason Dunkelzhan seperates from Billy and goes and inhabits the mechanical dragon shell. For some writers, that one might actually be considered a good plot ohplease.gif
Vuron
OMG robot dragons are super133t! We've got have them especially if they are like cyberzombies on crack.

"Eat Move By Wire 12 Lofwyr"
"Dunklezahn wins fatality in combat turn 1"

Yeah unfortunately that's all too believable as a plot. Maybe he can come back as a gay wiccan with an ally spirit that turns into a panzer wink.gif
Garland
QUOTE (Vuron)
Maybe he can come back as a gay wiccan with an ally spirit that turns into a panzer wink.gif

Ouch.

Anyway, chalk me up for "No." I'm not against future plots involving him; but not directly.

Example of a Dunk plotline I approve of: Children of the Dragon orchestrates a numer of runs to procure items they need for a ritual that will bring back their "deity." Another faction in CoD is trying to stop this blasphemy. If ritual gets pulled off, what they actually end up with is not dearly departed Dunkie, but the product of one of Verjigorm's corrupted egg experiments.

See, the plot is about trying to bring back Dunk, but actually has nothing to do with him in the end.
hahnsoo
Given what Ghostwalker/Icewing has done with his own mate, I don't see him being above freeing Lethe from Burnout and bonding the free spirit to himself in some fashion. After all, he is Dunky's brother.
Lucyfersam
I'm going to chime in here with a "please god no." I'm just fine having Dunkie exactly where he is. Bringing people back from the dead is cheesy 99% of the time (I like the guy in the middle east, but that's just because he's sowing chaos). Also, having Dunkie where he is slows down the Horror plot, which needed doing, I like it being there, but it was going a bit fast.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Vuron)
OMG robot dragons are super133t! We've got have them especially if they are like cyberzombies on crack.

Read The Iron Dragon's Daughter before you start hating on robot dragons.

~J
Cynic project
I would like it if he was somehow in contact with key people in the world, sort of like like spiritual guide. He could talk to someone within the DF, one of his former watchers, maybe Ghostie. But I think him being dead to the world at large would is a good thing.

Hell,I think it would be rather interesting to have him see what the DF is doing,and be sickened by what they are doing in his name. He could form up a new groups based around someone he could some how talk to, gather anyone who would listen to him and do what he really set out to do. I mean, not every plot,and secret group has to have an evil master mind, some are really trying to help others.
Grinder
Dunkie's death, plain and simple. No chance to resurrect, no chance to keep contact with other people as a gosth. Bah.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Grinder)
Dunkie's death, plain and simple. No chance to resurrect, no chance to keep contact with other people as a gosth. Bah.

Funny how Big D doesn't seem to think so.
Sepherim
Sure!! He should come back as an Inmortal Elf turned Cyberzombie!! Or maybe not... wink.gif

As for Cynic, more or less, he has come back to get in touch with certain people. Or so do the Children of the Dragon claim. Who tells us there's no other people who are just keeping it secret? Or maybe they're all just crazy freaks? Which is the truth? Up to you, as always.
Cynic project
Look, we know he is in a meta plane, and some people know how to get there. THe list includes the Joytoy tool of the VEEp of the UCAS, a gay pagan mage, an immoral elf who wants to be a mime, a crazy depressed elf who thinks she is to blame for everything, and a free blood spirit who is trying to repent. We do not know who else knows, but we know at least those people do.

Now, not all the them are on the same faction, and not all of them get along. I just putting out he idea that I think he could guide people from the metaplain. For those that don't like it, well tough luck, it is not half as bad what they are doing or have done to the CFS.
Grinder
Uh, my fault. I wanted to say, that Dunkie should be dead and noone should have the chance of contaciting him. That such crap actually happened in the metaplot is too bad and imo ridiculous. Dunkie is dead and should stay dead, that's my opinion on that matter. smile.gif
Bigity
Im my game, he is just dead. Not some kind of horror-repulsion barrier, or in some BS cyberzombie, just dead.

Blowed up dead.
Dog
Dunklezahn, IMHO, was an excellent character to bring to the shadowrun world, but was terribly misused. The idea of a superior being that strove against the odds and his contemporaries to bring hope to the little guy was great, and only became more profound when, just at the moment of what could've been the turning point in his fight, he was struck down.

Then it got dumb.

What if that was that. The big D fought and was outfought, and the only 'legacy' he had was a few people (beings) who may have believed in his ideals. We retain the gritty nastiness and desperation of the 6th world, but now with the notion that there is hope and nobility out there somewhere.

But no, we had to find out that secretly, the forces of good were way ahead of where we thought they were. It's like finding out 15 minutes into #5 that the rebellion is actually on a nearly equal footing with the Empire because of secret backers. (Well, go Luke, I guess.... or not.)

Dunklezahn, at the time of his death, was reduced from an icon to a resource. To bring him back at this point would only make it worse. It would basically sever the testicles of any threat that things might not work out for the heroes, and render all PC-scale characters irrelevant spectators.

I say keep him dead. Make him a martyr.

(Sorry, I'm a little disjointed in my post. Got other stuff going on right now.)
Mieric
Heh - I never killed off Big D, or more correctly the plot to kill him never succeeded.

Turns out it was backed by some more extreme members of the Tir nobility, too bad Big D worked out a plan with the S-S Council to invade Tir in retaliation.

Always hated Tir anyways. rotfl.gif

So Big D is still prez, Tir is no more, and Portland is a city under martial law. wink.gif
SpasticTeapot
I say that the Big D should be brought back. After all, let's look at a few things he did:
1. Put a huge amount of money into ASIST for dragons and magical/technological hybrids. And I mean a HUGE amount.
2. His body was never found. This implies that it's somewhere. The fact that he's leaving it to Nadja's care suggests that he had plans for it later.

And let's look at some background info:
1. Datajacks have been installed on a dragon. (There's some adventure, probbably 1st edition, where this happened).
2. There is a big, nasty, intelligent AI who has figured out how to offload itself into the brains of people, and will likely be coming back.
3. Someone is going to have to fight this AI. (Yeah, it could've just died during the system crash, "The AI was about to take over the world, but then experienced a fatal .DLL error" is an awfully lame ending for a plotline.

I personally would not be surprised if the Big D came back in AI form, but I find it more likely that he's on some metaplane somewhere trying to take down the Horrors. Eventuallly, when the Horrors reappear (and we all know they will), the Big D will come back with them.

Besides, he's an awesome Deus Ex Machina for the PC's.

RunnerPaul
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
I say that the Big D should be brought back.

You may have missed the earlier posts in this thread.

To sum up what was said before:
NO.
Demosthenes
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
I say that the Big D should be brought back.

Please, please, please, don't go there.

Dunkelzahn was fun when he was the blue and scaly version of Dave Letterman (look at those teeth! biggrin.gif ). He was even fun as the big, blue, scaly media-whore running for president.

But to have him come back from being blown up when there's no body would a) be cheesy beyond belief and b) strain suspension of disbelief a bit much.

A bit too much.

2. There is a big, nasty, intelligent AI who has figured out how to offload itself into the brains of people, and will likely be coming back.

Indeed. I still don't see what this has to do with Dunkelzahn...

3. Someone is going to have to fight this AI. (Yeah, it could've just died during the system crash, "The AI was about to take over the world, but then experienced a fatal .DLL error" is an awfully lame ending for a plotline.

What about ueber-powerful immortal elves, Leonardo the Lame, Harlequin, Novatech, the two or three other AIs present in the matrix, or even eek.gif letting the PCs have some effect on things (what? Let PCs affect the metaplot you say? Perish the thought...let's have the NPCs fight it out all the time... indifferent.gif )

I find it more likely that he's on some metaplane somewhere trying to take down the Horrors.

This is, iirc, the actual, canon situation.
Eventuallly, when the Horrors reappear (and we all know they will), the Big D will come back with them.

Now THAT is a cool idea...
Horror-tainted Dunkelzahn spreading evil tainty-goodness all over the plot. biggrin.gif
Besides, he's an awesome Deus Ex Machina for the PC's.

Deus Ex Machinae are no fun for anyone in the long term. The SR world has plenty of them.

The Big D was cool.

The Big D is dead.

I say leave him dead as a lesson to everyone that there's no one out there who can't be brought down somehow...

IMG, he's dead, dead, dead, and in tiny little pieces, and the only thing that's ever going to stop or slow the horrors will be the PCs I ran through Harlequin's back sarcastic.gif .
Kagetenshi
Perhaps more importantly, why on earth will anyone be required to fight Deus? Deus is just looking out for humanity!

~J
DrJest
I could see the Big D as a truly behind the scenes player in his current, uh, existence. Since he can't interact directly with anyone or leave the metaplanes (I presume), perhaps he finds a way - magical influence of dreams, perhaps - to extend his claw back into the meat world to get things done. Of course, odds are no-one will ever be able to definitively prove any connection to Dunk, although conspiracy theories would run wild.

So yeah, I voted "other" biggrin.gif
Garland
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Perhaps more importantly, why on earth will anyone be required to fight Deus? Deus is just looking out for humanity!

~J

When the next Crash comes, Kage, you'll be one of the first ones against the wall. You and all your Banded buddies.
Kagetenshi
cd ~/Desktop/Deus

./configure

make

make install

~J
Vuron
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
cd ~/Desktop/Deus

./configure

make

make install

~J

Come on Deus would realize that he'd got more of a chance at replication if he uses package add. After all not every potential slave is going to have GCC installed on thier machine.

Of course depending on how prevalent a windows style OS becomes it might be more along the line of a self extracting executable wink.gif
Kagetenshi
Deus as the next emailed worm…

~J
Vuron
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Deus as the next emailed worm…

~J

If system => UV then install deus.exe
Kagetenshi
I'll stick with Deus.app, myself smile.gif

~J
Club
QUOTE (Grinder @ Mar 28 2005, 05:09 AM)
No. No more of that crappy Dunkelzahn-plot, please not. And please let no other GD become the good one who cares about humanity and only wnats their best. Please not. GD and IE's are the unlovable bad-asses and that's the way it should be.

Oh, some of them care about humanity. I don't have a problem with that. But as with eggs and omelets, individuals don't matter.

Loftwr could be gathering power so that when the horrors break through he has a private army to fight them, and enough throw-weight to force everyone else to help him. He still isn't a terribly nice fellow, esp. if you are a runner.

And Harlequin, hell, they're runners. Practically begging to be used as chess pieces. It's what they're for

That said, one of the insect spirits, the toxic lawyer or the humanis flunkey should have been elected. Dunky as pres. was a hopeful event; IMHO it is where shadowrun stopped being a "traditional Cyberpunk" setting. Not that that was a entirely bad thing
warrior_allanon
you know, if i remember correctly there is an adventure setting that came out not to long ago that brought the arguments of the GD's over dunky's will to a point and gave the runners missions to perform to get on hestaby's good side and working for her,

akarenti
Considering that in DotSW and Survival of the Fittest, both Hestaby and Masaru were stepping up as heirs to Dunkelzahn's legacy, I doubt that he'll be coming back. Most of his Will (and the events of SotF) are geared towards balancing the power shifts caused by his death between Hestaby and Lofwyr (and possibly Ghostwalker; I'm somehow think Dunkie knew about his brothers' return).

I doubt they'd go through all that fiddling with draconic society's reaction to his death, and the introduction of Ghostwalker, if they planned to bring him back.

I also think that people give Dunkelzahn too much credit as a humanitarian. Sure he was interested in the lesser races, but in ED he was more like a kid with an ant farm than a caring noble figure (he took care of his ants, and was even surprised by their enginuity from time to time, but I don't remember anyone besides Mountainshadow's fanatically loyal servants ever suggested that he truely cared about them as individuals). Sure, he was progressive by dragon standards, but sacrificing oneself to save the world is a little different than sacrificing yourself to save Random Human Scrub #35. And everything he did up to his sacrifice helped strengthen his position in draconic society, and now his legacy has resources that rival any living Great (with the possible exception of Lofwyr); his plots are still being hatched, his goals still being pursued. In a way, Dunkie's "sacrifice" ensured his immortality through the younger races.
Critias
I hope he doesn't come back for the same reason I hope (every single god-dammed) "dead" comic book super heroes don't come back. It belittles their sacrifice to have them constantly reincarnating. Dunkie did what he did for a reason. He gave up being potentially the single most powerful living creature on Earth in order to take over a crappy body and hang out by some crappy bridge in the metaplanes and do a pretty crappy job -- because it was the right thing to do.

Bringing him back and reversing all that (as lame as the books themselves might have been, it's the gesture that I feel counts) makes his sacrifice a non-entity. It makes it feel and sound and look like he didn't really make a choice, didn't really make any hard decision to do what needed doing, didn't really give anything up for the greater good (in much the same way, for instance, Jean Grey's suicide for the greater good was belittled by her coming back from the dead, then again, then again, then again, or Superman knowing he'd die but doing so to take out What's-His-Name, anyways, was made no big deal by him coming back).

Let him stay where he is. Heroes that knowingly and willfully give of themselves for others are turned into petty posers, if the "something" they give up gets force-fed back to them. "Ho hum, he almost did the right thing."
Superbum
I don't recall dunkelzahn contacting anyone after he remembered who he was at the end of the trilogy books. IMHO, He wouldn't contact anyone about his current nature (as a spirit possessing a CZ) let alone his own brother (whom had not returned to Earth by the time Dunkelzahn died).

Being as goodie goodie as he was, I think Dunkelzahn will glady stay in the planes protecting our world from the Horrors as long as he can. He is also Billy's protector, if you will.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012