Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ghost in the Drone
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DocMortand
The Anthroform drone thread reminded me of the Ghost in the Shell: SAC concept of a brain in a walker body (The Jameson Body). I know it's technically possible to replace all the major body areas with cybered versions without becoming a cyberzombie, so how would one go about installing their brain inside a drone or other such mechanical conveyances?

Would there be special rules for this as well? Learning physical skills would possibly be out (as there is no muscle memory) and Body/Quickness/Strength would be dependent on the drone as well.

I can see the Arthroform drone PC House Rules that Spastic Teapot listed as possibly applying here, altho obviously magic WOULD work, except for mana based LOS spells (as there is nothing to see to target) and there would probably be a low grade magic background count (probably 1, max 2) due to it being a perversion of nature. Essence would be key.

*shrug* Any debates on whether this is 1) possible, 2) balanced and 3) something I'd allow?

Edit: What kind of medical science would be necessary to keep a brain alive in theory? I'm a musician, so I don't know medicine well.
SpasticTeapot
I'm actually pretty sure I posted these a while ago, but no matter. These rules are only slightly more refined than the ones I posted about an hour ago, but with some bits thrown in from my robotic characters archetype, they might work pretty well for die-hard riggers.

NEW RACE (25 pt. addtl. cost over base metahuman cost):
"Polaris"
A.K.A. Children of the Mind, Disembodied Brain Robots.

Background:
A few years back, some scientists at Fuchi had a brilliant idea: Instead of wiring each part of cyberware to the brain separately, causing a separate path for neural damage each time, one could wire all of it through standard rigger cyberware. In theory, this would allow an infinite amount of cyberware without the aid of magic; it would all be routed through the deck. In practice, however, the mapping of all the nervous system to the controller caused essence loss large enough to kill the majority of test subjects, and those who survived often suffered from crossover from cyberware and the normal nervous system.
Then, they came up with a new idea: Why not just eliminate the body altogether? By placing a cybermodified brain, complete with life support and datajacks into a standard-model drone you could create an easily modified and entirely flexible replacement body, which could be replaced as needed. By placing the subject brain in a mobile enclosure, the brain could easily be moved around from robotic "body" to "body" simply by disconnecting a cable. Although the
procedure led to massive essence loss, some of the later test subjects (primarily plasma-weapons testers who, due to the fact that the majority of their body had become an air) survived the process. However, shortly after Dunkhelzhan's death a more ambitions and profit-minded director moved in, and elimiated the project in an attempt to cut losses on the development of products that would not sell.
Description: As the name suggests, the Polaris are little more than the brains of humans or meta-humans placed inside a plastic or metal pod. However, they have the ability (as per rigger) to control ships, cars, airplanes, drones, and the lot. By placing themselves in a drone (often with with the control electronics removed to make space) the Polaris can have bodies ranging from converted mo-peds to space stations a kilometer long. This gives them fantastic flexibility in terms of what they can do.
However, polaris are in other ways quite limited. They cannot do face-to-face relations, and are unable to carry much (unless attached to a frieght lifter).Although it is possible to build a semi-permanent outer shell for propulsion and weapons, without outside help, a Polaris is entirely unable to move. (they do, however, have cameras and microphones built in to their outer coating, which may be upgraded following the rules with essence loss in Cybereyes). Unless specifically programmed for them, they cannot use skillsofts, and must use specially mounted weapons.

Attributes:
Strength: 0 required (effectively -3 to the stat)
Body: +2 (2 pts. addtl. dermal plating)
Charisma:-3
Willpower: +1
Quickness: +3

The polaris have no corporeal body, only 1/4 of all damage penalties actually apply to them; and injuries up to the range of "moderate" heal without outside help, with greater wounds often only requiring a fix to the life support system so the brain can go
off backup life support. (the dampening materials are similar to those used in very small bomb shelters; this makes the Polaris VERY resistant to damage.)Polaris
are also mostly immune to many toxins; they do not have livers to destroy or hearts to stop, but small mechanical pumps and filters. Polaris may have up to
.5 essence of Cybereyes-equivalent technology built-in with no essence loss, and all non-headware (with a few exceptions) incurs no penalty at all. However,
the polaris have a base essence of only three; this reflects the invasive procedures which have left them as they are today. All Polaris have at least one datajack
and three chipjacks, the essence cost for which is included in the essence deduction.
shelters).
All Polaris are required to take funds as their first priority, if using the priority system. 500,000 nuyen of these are deducted for a basic "pod" and the price of surgery. Additional
cyberware costs extra, as do drones and and better rigging equipment (the included model is only rating-1). For the “points” method, the basic life-support cyberware is included in the point cost, but the player must buy rigging cyberware in order to allow the character to move.

STATS:
Height: 0.5m*
Width: 0.8m*
Depth: 0.5m*
Skin color: N/A
*These stats are for the central pod.

RULES FOR "merging" with a drone:
Use drone rigger rules, but add a point of quickness and and reduce all TN’s by 1 if directly attached, with an additional die added to the rigging pool. Additional weapons may be added to the drone without any penalty, so long as they have a Smartgun link and are somehow attached to the robot on a movable arm.
Assorted cyberware upgrades available:
Wired Reflexes-Normal Penalty
By using low-latency electronics, more powerful microprocesssors, and fiber-optics akin to those used in Wired Reflexes systems, a Polaris may improve neural speed.
The face value of the procedure is approximately ˝ the price of wired reflexes (because of the lack of need for full-body surgery) but often ends up costing more
as a result of the need for customization for the wearer. Essence loss is equivalent to that of normal wired reflexes, with alphaware only costing 0.7x normal essence loss.
All headware:
With the exception of four things, headware causes no loss. Cellular phones, comlinks, and HUD's can easily be integrated into the neural interface controller.
However, because of the need for separate connections, three things can cause additional essence loss: Additional Datajacks (normal essence loss) Chipjacks
(˝ normal essence loss) Integrated cybereye upgrades (Follow normal cybereye rules with 1/4 normal penalties after that). These reflect the need for additional
neural connections to the occipital, temporal, or frontal lobes.
Bodyware:
With the exception of Wired Reflexes, bodyware is usually without any essence cost at all. Filters (included in life support essence cost) and bone lacing (added to shell structure)
can work without directly interfacing with the brain, making them viable upgrades. However, because the Polaris do not have a meat body per se, they cannot use many forms of armor. Dermal armor, for example, is useless to them-they have no skin; and muscle replacement
is nothing short of ludicrous. The GM has a general ruling over what can or cannot be used, however. Some modifications that can be made to the shell are:

Plating-Equal in cost to the type of armor they emulate:
This is simply armor for the pod. Typically just tacked-on armor jacket material, this nonetheless provides an effective defense against most projectiles. The armor rating of the armor is added to the value of half the rating of the host drone, (or half the rating of the armor if the host drone is better armored) and adds
the normal amount of weight.
Cerebral Support/Cushoning:
Equivalent in function to bone lacing, improved cerebral supports act much the same, but are signifigantly cheaper (about 1/3 the price of equivalent bone lacing).
They replace the normal structural supports, and do not incur additional essence loss.

Internal Drive System:
A set of miniature pneumatic legs, these allow Polaris to move about when not connected to a drone. They are usually recessed into the shell, and extend when needed.
They move at a maximum speed of three miles per hour times their rating, and the cost is equal to (rating/2)^2 x 1,000. Tank-tread, and even helicopter versions are possible, as well.

Cyberlimbs:
These may be added, but only at the normal essence cost. Cyberlimbs have an effective strength of 8, and cyberarms may be used to propel the character forwards at his or her Quickness rating in meters.

Internal Cyberdeck:
Many Polaris are deckers, as they have no other oppritunity to experience something approximating an actual body. Cyberdecks cost the normal amount, but an electronic keyboard replacement adds 500 nuyen to the cost.
mfb
do you really have to call them the P word?
Edward
If I was going to do it I would just say the brain is in a box that can run for 2 days takes to 4 CF and 20kg and the brain is interfaced to a VCR and cranial remote deck (so it can run its maintenance droid without the cable getting in the way)

The problem is essence. It is true that cyber arms and legs actually replace everything about the ammo or leg, possibly including the shoulder or hip joint but the cyber scull still leaves you with your original inner ear, eyes and toung (unless otherwise modified) and the cyber torso still leaves all your internal organs as they where. I would say essence los from putting your brain in a tank would be severe possibly unsurvivable.

Edward
Demosthenes
QUOTE (Edward)
If I was going to do it I would just say the brain is in a box that can run for 2 days takes to 4 CF and 20kg and the brain is interfaced to a VCR and cranial remote deck (so it can run its maintenance droid without the cable getting in the way)
<SNIP>
I would say essence los from putting your brain in a tank would be severe possibly unsurvivable.

Edward

Except that, for some reason, you don't lose essence for chopping things off...
Nor, apparently, do you lose essence for being on life support (ie machinery to keep your body going while your heart, lungs, kidneys and other bits are not working).

The essence cost thing is arguable. From a balance point of view, it makes perfect sense that putting your brain in a box is a bad thing. On the other hand, you can argue that the canon definition of what causes essence loss (in SR3) might not support such a ridiculous amount of essence loss. (The SR2 definition [Astral Template/Pattern] works better, however.)

Effectively, you're removing everything but your brain from your body, and then placing your brain in a device/solution that can keep it alive by supplying oxygen, nutrients, and stimulation.

The appropriate essence loss then depends on exactly what the life-support machinery is: if it's literally nothing more than a nutrient/oxygen bearing solution (a substitue for cerebrospinal fluid + blood pump) + a VCR, then the essence loss is going to be proportional to whatever you charge for a cyberheart and the rating of the VCR. There's no need to worry about the essence cost for replacing other elements of the body, because many of those processes can be performed by parts of the drone body that can be connected to the brain via the VCR.

SR Canon already has disembodied brains surviving - CF Doctor Halberstam in Threats and his 'biological knowbots'.

If you can access and control a matrix icon via the kind of connection those brains have, then there is nothing in principle preventing you from using the same kind of technology to create a 'full borg', apart from the size of the necessary life-support equipment.

Note that I said 'In Principle' there. It's a rather suicidal thing to do, when you consider that you have definitely sold your soul to a corp or something to get the procedure done...and you still have to load nutrients etc into the body in a manner that is compatible with whatever tech is used to sustain the brain. If I was a corp, the nutrients needed would pretty much have to be proprietary...and that means you're on a very, very short leash.

Robocop and his baby food are nothing on this poor bugger.

YMMV as always.

It's not something I'd allow in my game, because I don't think it's really necessary (except for someone like Roxy), but the canon setting has already established the necessary technology to do it - in principle - as of about 2056 or so (though the tech would certainly need a lot of advancement to do what is being asked of it here...).
Edward
Weren’t those brains on the matrix grown for the purpose.

Much easier to do it that way. Hell if your going to do it immediately then take a normal baby hock it up to a life support system install a data jack and plug it street into the matrix, its muscles will atrophy and the data jack may make the scull grow strange but it saves on organ alternatives.

Edward
Demosthenes
The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey describes a procedure somewhat similar to this, if you want to wade through it...

As to the brains: Nope, they came from real, live, wains. No cloning for the good doctor. He'd hardly be a threat if he was just messing about with cloned brain tissue, now would he? Or more to the point, he'd hardly be doing something no one else has done...
Edward
I wasn’t thinking cloned brain tissues, I was thinking entire brains put in the computer interface shortly after or even before “birth”.

Edward
Demosthenes
QUOTE (Edward)
I wasn’t thinking cloned brain tissues, I was thinking entire brains put in the computer interface shortly after or even before “birth”.

Edward

My bad.
I said 'brain tissues' when I meant 'brains'.

[Channel=Homer Simpson]Damn metonymy, damn you to hell. [/Channel=Homer Simpson]

The brains are, iirc, extracted from real, live, living, breathing wee little metahuman children.
(Sorry: Wains - Donegal word for children. Derived from the way you pronounce 'Wee ones' or 'Wee'uns' in a Donegal accent.)
SpasticTeapot
I might like to point out that this character archetype is something that I churned out a while ago after reading some low-quality sci-fi. It's not meant to be entirely realistic; it's meant to allow characters to become cyber-behemoths providing they take all the inherent restrictions. Riggers with a VCR can sit inside a tank which acts as their eyes, ears, legs, and weapon; why not do the same with a much, much smaller tank and a more compact rigger?

Oh, and for the record; I borrowed the name from a nifty bit of software called Escape Velocity: Nova. You can pick it up (it's shareware) at ambrosiasw.com. It runs on both mac and PC, and it's only about twenty bucks. This does show a severe lack of creativity, but please remember I'm much better at throwing out untested statistics than coming up with cool names.

Anyway, here's my ruling on life-support:
Because the brain actually uses a relatively small amount of ammino acids and other such things, these can be stored in small onboard tanks. (1,000 nuyen would give you a refill which would last up to 3 months, although injury, etc. can make it much shorter). Otherwise, they subside upon cheap glucose (10 nuyen a day), salt, and vitamins in a water-soluble format. (roughly 50 nuyen per day.) Although not strictly realistic, niether are most riggers and a great deal of cyberware, so a cheap alternative to corp support will allow the character to actually DO something.
Demosthenes
It would...and if that's where you want your game to go, knock yourself out.

It's a cool idea, but cheap brain-juice just doesn't seem very Shadowrun to me...
DocMortand
Thanks for the materials needed.

Frankly, I would think it would require more than a fistful of nuyen to sustain the brain in the box. I think requiring a high lifestyle would be minimum, frankly, and yeah you'd have to be tied to a corp or at least a high level clinic.

I'm working on putting together a Jameson drone body that would fit into slots of bigger drone bodies, plus my own custom rules interpretations. I'll post it up after work today so we can argue that. smile.gif
DocMortand
Okay - Here's a partial Drone body that could be used for housing the Brain in the Box. This is based off the Jameson body from GitS:SAC.

Vulpine DBH-01 (Jameson Model)
Hand:2/2
Speed: 18.7
Accel: -
B/A: 1/0
Sig: 8
Auto/Pilot: -/1
Sensor: 1
CF: 0
Load: 55
Seating: Special
Fuel: EC (40L)
Econ: 2 km/L
Chass: Small Walker
Cost: 60919
Options: 2 Mechanical arms (Str 4), 1 with data reader, 1 with articulated fingers, 1/4 Living Amenities (supplies for maintaining health of occupant, I.E. Brain - must be maintained with 10% High Lifestyle per month), CMC 9, DBW 1, Rigger Adaption, EnviroSeal System (Gas/Water/Engine)

Electronic warfare, ECCM, Encrypt/Decrypt must be bought with the RCD[remote control deck]/C2[crainal cyberdeck] that comes with cranial installation. If DBH-01 is installed inside Drone or other rigger-enabled vehicles, a dataport allows connection to bypass handling the DBH and to instead handle the vehicle/drone in which it is installed. If Decking access is required, dataport serves that purpose as well.
----------------------
To me, the stats for body, quickness and strength would be replaced by the body of of the drone you are currently in. You would start off in the DBH-01, and you need to determine whether you wish a RCD or a C2 inside your head. Essence I would feel would be max 3, bioindex would be 1 extra. Charisma, Willpower and Intelligence I agree with Teapot.

As far as magic is concerned, there would be a permanent magic background count of 1 due to the astral haze around the character. It would be impossible to cast LOS spells against the character, because you can't see the character to cast. Depending on whether you want to go further with corp debt, you could insulate it with FAB to prevent astral intrusion. *shrug*

Anyways, this is my take on things. Any opinions? Other people's take on things?
Edward
For lifestyle I would probably require hospitalised.

Although the nutrient for the brain may be small it must be clean and sterile so it wont be cheep, also it will not be common.

If you purchased a medical shop and an arthreform drone to work in it (controlled threw your CRCD) you could pay 10% lifestyle cost as if you where living in a vehicle provided you also payed for the lifestyle to represent a place to put said shop (min med for power reliability, low for space if you have a private generator)

I would not impose a background count, mo magical ritual has been performed on the brain (like a cyber zombie) and there is no great emotional content. There is no more case for problems on the astral than there is for somebody with .1 essence and 8 bio index (I know the guy is in pain)

Edward
DocMortand
QUOTE (Edward)
For lifestyle I would probably require hospitalised.

Although the nutrient for the brain may be small it must be clean and sterile so it wont be cheep, also it will not be common.

If you purchased a medical shop and an arthreform drone to work in it (controlled threw your CRCD) you could pay 10% lifestyle cost as if you where living in a vehicle provided you also payed for the lifestyle to represent a place to put said shop (min med for power reliability, low for space if you have a private generator)

I would not impose a background count, mo magical ritual has been performed on the brain (like a cyber zombie) and there is no great emotional content. There is no more case for problems on the astral than there is for somebody with .1 essence and 8 bio index (I know the guy is in pain)

Edward

Oh, yeah - I forgot you could buy a Shop at chargen - that would be required, I would think. The 10% High lifestyle is to pay for replacement materials to keep the mix at the right proportions. You would need to buy a seperate lifestyle to store things, min Medium.

There isn't a "hospitalized" lifestyle, however...the minimum for Serious wounds is High, and I would consider that suitable enough.

All in all, I think it's close to the same rules for parapalegic only you can actually maneuver around rather than be in a biotank. *grin*
Ol' Scratch
Quadraplegic Flaw + VCR 3 + Smartlink 2 + Datajack + Anthroform Drone + Special Storage Area and Special Machinery (Life Support System) + Living Amentities Rules = Concept.

Assorted social and mental flaws would also be completely appropriate.
Edward
QUOTE (DocMortand)

There isn't a "hospitalized" lifestyle,

QUOTE (SR3 p240 hospitalised)

this special lifestyle applies only when a character is sick or injured. The character is confined to a hospital; a real one, a clinic equipped as a hospital or a private location with the necessary equipment. Characters can not own this lifestyle. They only pay for it until they get well or broke, whichever comes first. Cost 500nuyen a day for basic care, 1000nuyen a day for intensive care.

as we are allowing a brain in a tank to work we are no strangers to the concept of a house rule, I would modify this as follows.

You may buy a permanent hospitalised lifestyle, to use when ever you need it, its called high grade medical insurance (dock wagon is more ambulance cover than medical insurance)

You can buy a medical shop and kit it out for long term care and you can us this for your hospitalised lifestyle for 10% of the normal cost + the cost of a nurse and a doctor on call.

A brain in a tank would need to live a hospitalised lifestyle but would be able to be his own nurse if a suitably dextrous drone was assessable by a cranial remote deck (must be cranial because cables must occasionally be unplugged) most of the time the brain would only need basic care but if injured a doctor will need to come around more often and filters will need to be monitored more closely and changed more frequently so increase to intensive care rates.

Edward
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012