Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dev Chat?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Penta
Yeah...could we possibly see a chat session w/ FanPro prior to SR4's release?

I doubt it could be a bad thing.
Adam
There will be at least one -- we'll be announcing the date soon.
Patrick Goodman
That would even be worth installing some sort of IRC client to attend.
Kagetenshi
Indeed.

~J
Penta
Now if only my school would allow connections to IRC's ports!
Ecclesiastes
Thats worth taking the chance of hacking my company firewall to get to! smile.gif
Tanka
If you used Jabber, there are IRC->Jabber/Jabber->IRC bots that can transmit text between the two services.

I assume the Dev Chat would be on Dumpshock's server, or something more bandwidth friendly if it gets big enough?
Adam
It will be on the Dumpshock IRC server ... we're waiting until the new server is installed and we've worked out the kinks, hence the lack of announcement so far.
Tanka
Fair enough.

Any chance of getting a Jabber bot setup to transmit between the two mediums? Makes it easier for people who are unable to connect to IRC.
hermit
This sounds really cool. When will it approximately be, American time? So I know when to get up real early or stay up real late, even by my standards?
Adam
Tanka -- can you send me some links to the software you're talking about, so I can get a good idea of how long it would take me to implement? PM is fine.

hermit -- sometime during the evening, central standard time.
Penta
<sobs>

Yeah, I just found out, my school now blocks ports 6667-7000.

Fuckers.
hermit
sometime during the evening, central standard time.

Eeeh ... is that Denver or Chicago time? Anyway, sounds like me getting up early then. smile.gif
Adam
QUOTE (Penta)

I suspect we can open a non-standard port for the chat -- and we do have a webirc applet, as well.
Austere Emancipator
My sympathies for people in the GMT +6 through +12 time zones. At least it'll only be a few hours past midnight in most of Europe.
Sepherim
Nice. Will standard mirc work? Or an special version of irc will be needed?
Tanka
mIRC works on any and all servers.

Edit

Adam: I talked to the guy who made the gateway we use on his server. He said he hardcoded it in python on his server specifically, so running it elsewhere won't work as near as he can tell.
Fortune
I don't care about the time ... I'll just stay up for it. biggrin.gif

Is Dumpshock going to retain its web-based IRC client after the server change? If so, couldn't those people blocked from using IRC (for whatever reason) use the client instead?

Tanka
QUOTE (Fortune)
I don't care about the time ... I'll just stay up for it. biggrin.gif

Is Dumpshock going to retain its web-based IRC client after the server change? If so, couldn't those people blocked from using IRC (for whatever reason) use the client instead?

I doubt it. If a firewall notices something sending through ports 6667-6700 (or whatever is blocked) it blocks the information.
Chibu
Would it be possible to just open up port 7001 or something for the night?
Tanka
QUOTE (Chibu)
Would it be possible to just open up port 7001 or something for the night?

QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (Penta @ Mar 30 2005, 03:07 PM)

I suspect we can open a non-standard port for the chat -- and we do have a webirc applet, as well.

biggrin.gif
Chibu
wow, i'm bad at reading ^-^
Fortune
QUOTE (tanka)
I doubt it. If a firewall notices something sending through ports 6667-6700 (or whatever is blocked) it blocks the information.

Oh well, it was just a thought. I ain't no Hacker, and don't know much about this tech stuff. I just figured seeing as it is web-based (and runs through programs like IE), that it might use different posts (like the ones used for IE etc.).
Tanka
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (tanka @ Mar 31 2005, 11:55 AM)
I doubt it.  If a firewall notices something sending through ports 6667-6700 (or whatever is blocked) it blocks the information.

Oh well, it was just a thought. I ain't no Hacker, and don't know much about this tech stuff. I just figured seeing as it is web-based (and runs through programs like IE), that it might use different posts (like the ones used for IE etc.).

Well, it does, but the client itself (cgi, java, whatever) still has to connect to a server which is only open on specific ports (generally, 6667-6669 and 7000), so the browser still connects through the regular HTTP ports to load the client, then the client connects to the IRC ports (which would be blocked by any firewalls blocking IRC ports, 'natch).
Fortune
Ah, I see. Oh well, at least you are going to be able to work something out anyway.

Maybe someone could make a log of the chat (I remember that being done for D&D 3 so it should be possible), and post it on the web for those people that can't access it live for whatever reason.
Adam
But the client is not running on a computer within the blocked network; it's running on the web server, and passing the data back and forth to the browser via standard HTTP ports.

IRC -> 6667 -> Web IRC Client -> 21 -> Web Browser

And of course, the chat will be logged and made available for those who can't attend it.
Tanka
Adam: The browser still communicates with an open IRC port. Any time I've seen people complain about being blocked from IRC and had somebody suggest using WebIRC instead, they reiterate that the IRC ports are blocked (even after trying).

Fortune: Yes, it could be logged. Not as cool as being there, but it works just as well.
Adam
That's what happens if you're actually using a client that runs locally, but within a web browser. If the client is actually running on the web server -- as is the case with the client we use, CGI::IRC, the traffic is passed back and forth like standard web traffic.
Tanka
Odd. I may have to test that and see if some colleges smartened up and blocked specific applications from running through or if others are just daft.
Kai
I suspect tanka they are using Java chat and etc, which...hmm...

Imagine the ports blocked are a window in a house. mIRC and such are clients that make you open the window on your side. Java chat lets someone else open the window from the outside. If the window's locked, its locked, no matter which side you're on. CGI::IRC is saying, fine, the windows, locked, we'll use the door.
Penta
Tanka: Scranton is like most colleges these days. Thanks to RIAA and similar copyright drek, plus virii and trojans, they're paranoid.

I would not be surprised if every port but those used for HTTP is blocked.
Tanka
Penta: Technicality, but the plural of virus is viruses. nyahnyah.gif

And, yeah, they're using Java applets, which don't work. CGI is run server-side, which is what I was losing.
JongWK
I second the motion to have a web-based client.
Tanka
QUOTE (JongWK)
I second the motion to have a web-based client.

There is. It can be found (well, the link to it) at http://irc.dumpshock.com.
Wireknight
Just a slight bit of correction, for Adam's earlier statement, HTTP is run on port 80, not port 21. That's FTP. Also, I'd say that the most functional web-based IRC clients are likely implemented in Java, which is more likely to be firewall-disabled than IRC itself. Makes for a bit of a conundrum, though if you have login rights on a properly set up Unix system, you can get around the whole deal via Telnet or some more secure terminal emulator.

[edit]
i.e. telnet -> TargetHost -> ./usr/bin/irc(or just irc if its path is set in the shell) and go from there.
[/edit]
Adam
QUOTE (Wireknight)
Just a slight bit of correction, for Adam's earlier statement, HTTP is run on port 80, not port 21. That's FTP.

Ack, yeah. My bad.
Wireknight
I just tested the CGI IRC client, and it's pretty slick. One thing, though. I assume it operates by making a godlessly huge number of HTTP requests and updates from a file, which is both updated and accessed in realtime. Have you sat back and checked just how much webserver load is generated by users on that client? I can easily see, if it works like I theorized, a large IRC chat composed mostly of people using the client being able to bring the server to its knees with the sheer volume of repeat requests and updates.
Kentares
My head hurts... rotate.gif
Tanka
Living up to your signature, I see?
Wireknight
Also, though it's not really an issue (since Dumpshock isn't exactly a ripe target nor would an attack really cause any damage), if you can get a security certificate, it'd probably be a good idea to have one for interactions like the CGI IRC client, so that HTTPS can be used in lieu of HTTP. At the moment it seems to be vulnerable to a man-in-the-middle identity spoof to arbitrarily update the perceived contents of the chatroom in question for all users on the webclient. Encrypting the transfers would make it almost impossible to perform such spoofs.
Kentares
QUOTE (tanka)

Sure!

There´s a reputation to mantain... you know.
Tanka
QUOTE (Kentares)
QUOTE (tanka @ Mar 31 2005, 11:01 PM)

Sure!

There´s a reputation to mantain... you know.

Happens to the best of us.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Wireknight)
Also, though it's not really an issue (since Dumpshock isn't exactly a ripe target nor would an attack really cause any damage), if you can get a security certificate, it'd probably be a good idea to have one for interactions like the CGI IRC client, so that HTTPS can be used in lieu of HTTP. At the moment it seems to be vulnerable to a man-in-the-middle identity spoof to arbitrarily update the perceived contents of the chatroom in question for all users on the webclient. Encrypting the transfers would make it almost impossible to perform such spoofs.

Curses!

*Crosses "alter dev chat to be entirely about Shadowrun D20" off of his list of things to do*

~J
Penta
And happily, the WebClient thingy works for me. Yayyy.
The Horror

QUOTE (Adam)
And of course, the chat will be logged and made available for those who can't attend it.

Brilliant. I'm one of those many people who simply cannot make it. The log thing will be very much appreciated.

The Horror
Tanka
Logs: Causing Severe Legal Ramifications Since Some Random Date
Kai
Heh, secure certs are such a pain in the ass...you'd actually end out doing more harm than good from an accessibility standpoint, there are a lot of places that block HTTPS connections because they assume its commerce and don't want people buying things over the network.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012