Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ally Spirit Specialization
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JaronK
When summoned, Ally Spirits can have skills for 1 Karma per skill point, up to a maximum of their conjurer's skills. But what about specializations? For example, if my conjurer has Cyber Implant Combat 2 (Cyberspurs 4) can I have the same skill and specialization for my ally? And what does it cost?

JaronK
fistandantilus4.0
It doesn't specifically state that you can or cannot. It just say that you have to buy all increases with your karma. I'd say same as buying the skill when created, but then at a better rate once you do a ritual of change, like a specialization.
JaronK
Related Question... what is the cost of purchasing a Homunculus? I found the karma cost to bond to one, but not the cost to buy one (assuming the character can't make his own).

JaronK
DrJest
Cyberspurs... homonculous... hmmm... Just how much cyber can you put in one of those?
Ol' Scratch
You can only buy the focus. You still have to be able to create an ally spirit/homonculus for use with that focus -- the focus is just a required tool, not the actual homonculus.
fistandantilus4.0
how 'bout an anthroform homonculus w/ spurs and cyberguns.

What if the mage has a VCR and tries going into it? does he posses his ally? spin.gif
Fortune
How would you rule about the Spirit's Sorcery? Say the summoner had Sorcery/Spellcasting 5/9 ... would the Spirit have the exact same skill, or would it be limited to just the summoner's General skill.
Demosthenes
What if the Homunculus is an AVS and the magician has a smartlink?
JaronK
Yeesh. I was thinking of an ally spirit that looked like a close combat cyber samurai type for an aspected conjurer character. Not jumping into the ally spirit! Anyway, the idea would be to give the spirit forarm snap blades, which I've always played count as spurs for skill purposes (house rule).

JaronK
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Fortune)
How would you rule about the Spirit's Sorcery? Say the summoner had Sorcery/Spellcasting 5/9 ... would the Spirit have the exact same skill, or would it be limited to just the summoner's General skill.

by the book, it says the sorcery is equal to the summoners at time of creation. So it gets base sorcery, no spellcasting specialization unless he pays extra just like raising a skill.

It doesn't really go into it in the book for raising spellcasting because it defaults to the mages sorcery, assuming a lack of specialization. So...he can get it, just has to buy it with karma like any other skill.
Ol' Scratch
by the book, it says the sorcery is equal to the summoners at time of creation. So it gets base sorcery, no spellcasting specialization unless he pays extra just like raising a skill.

"Equal to the summoner" means "equal to the summoner," not "equal to the summoner's base skill only." That means he gains the specialization normally at no extra cost.

As for specializations in other games, it's left to you to house rule since specializations were obviously not considered when those rules were written/rewritten. Me, I'd average the Skill and Specialization, rounding down as usual, and use that for the cost. Thus Skill 5 (Specialization 9) would cost 7 Karma.
fistandantilus4.0
have to check the wording then because I'm pretty certain it says "The ally's sorcery skill is equal to it's summoners". I don't have my MiTS handy, but as I recall, it does specifically say "sorcery".

Like you said though, it obviously didn't take specializations into account for ally spirits.

I like the idea of sort of splitting the difference and then raise it normally (as per spec rules).So you're exmple of 5/9, the ally would have 5/7, then raise it like a specialization normally w/ the summoners karma in the Ritual? Sound fair?
Fortune
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

The thing is, Spellcasting is considered part of the Sorcery skill, just as Running is considered part of the Athletics skill. It isn't a seperate skill, but part and parcel of the whole.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012