Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dikote your Cybereyes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mallet
Check out this link:

http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050328/ful...l/050328-9.html

The future is now.
JaronK
Okay, but if I have an ally spirit in the form of a cybereye, can I have sex with it?

JaronK
hyzmarca
QUOTE (JaronK)
Okay, but if I have an ally spirit in the form of a cybereye, can I have sex with it?

JaronK

Yes, but only if you are very flexible.

Kanada Ten
The article makes a good point though. Calling cyber chrome is a misnomer; it really should be Ice. Bling-bling on the inside, baby.
creepwood
nice aprils fools day joke guys
mallet
Nature is a highly respected science and news source, I don't think they publish "April fools day" joke articals.

but I could be wrong.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (creepwood @ Mar 31 2005, 10:56 PM)

...?

1: The article date is March 31st.

2: The article itself is about making a potential 'cyber-eye' which has an ultra thin artificial diamond coating to protect it from exposure to the body. There is nothing joking about the article it's completly serious.
torzzzzz
[URL=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4396387.stm[/URL]

ok if this link douse not work let me know, but i saw this on the BBC news website yesterday and it makes interesting reeding!!

torz x biggrin.gif
torzzzzz
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4396387.stm

ok but i saw this on the BBC news website yesterday and it makes interesting reeding!!

sorry still cant get to grips with posting links so you will have to cut and paste sorry !

torz x biggrin.gif

oo ok i did put the link on! - mmm dont quite know how i did that!

Sorry about the doubble post!! embarrassed.gif
DrJest
And there's also this article about bionic eye research at Stanford.
creepwood
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)

...?

it depends where in the world you live, according to my timezone, atleast the forum post is posted on april1st.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (creepwood)
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith @ Apr 1 2005, 10:08 AM)

...?

it depends where in the world you live, according to my timezone, atleast the forum post is posted on april1st.

Yeah, but that's irrelevant. The actual date on the article byline itself is March 31st.
Nikoli
Also important to note, the temperature at which the diamond coating was applied. 400 degrees. That means we can get Dikote errata'd to a lower temp now, well below the temperatures needed to create plasma.
Edward
This is a bit suspicious

“He will present the results on 1 April at the Materials Research Society meeting in San Francisco, California.”

That said I wouldn’t write it of completely.

Edward
Cray74
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Also important to note, the temperature at which the diamond coating was applied.  400 degrees.  That means we can get Dikote errata'd to a lower temp now, well below the temperatures needed to create plasma.

Shadowrun's Dikoting's deposition process is either one of two things:

1) It's obsolete, but the writers didn't do their home work. In real life, the high-temperature microwave/methane deposition method was out of date years ago. It's descendents and entirely new methods of diamond deposition are in use.

2) It's the kind of processing necessary to get the properties of Dikote. Not all diamond films have equal properties - that's even mentioned in the article - and the properties are definitely dependent on the process. Perhaps the properties of the Dikoting (in particular) can only be achieved with high temperature processes, while the corrosion-resistant coating used on the article's "bionic eye" could be deposited at much lower temperatures (but said coating won't have the wear or impact protection of Dikoting.)

Therefore, if the writers want, they still have justification for keeping Dikoting as a high temperature process. Or they can lower it. But they aren't obligated to lower it.

And if they want to lower the Dikoting processing temperature, that won't necessarily help lower temperature materials - like plastic. Materials with low Young's moduli (stiffness), like plastics or aluminum, or materials with a large thermal expansion mismatch compared to diamond would probably flake the Dikoting off quickly.
Streak
Can anyone tell me if and where Dikote appears in any of the SR books!? Thanks smile.gif
Nikoli
for SR3, Man and Machine
Shadow
Now this is just cool! If this works it could literaly change the world. No more blindness I mean how cool is that!
Cray74
QUOTE (Shadow)
Now this is just cool! If this works it could literaly change the world. No more blindness I mean how cool is that!

Not all blindness comes from the same source. If the person was blinded because of, say, a stroke in the optical cortex, new eyes won't help.

But it stands to help a lot of people.

Can anyone tell me if and where Dikote appears in any of the SR books!? Thanks

In Man & Machine (for SR3) and in Shadowtech (for SR1).
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Cray74)
QUOTE (Shadow @ Apr 1 2005, 06:30 PM)

Not all blindness comes from the same source. If the person was blinded because of, say, a stroke in the optical cortex, new eyes won't help.

But it stands to help a lot of people.

From what I'm reading out of the Journal of Opthalmology, it looks like about half of blindness in adults is caused by cataracts, and about a quarter due to "reversible" (read: The above "cybereyes" can possibly help) retinal degeneration (such as macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy). Another quarter is in a nebulous "other" category. So it stands to help about a quarter of the population of blind folks. One scary statistic is that the incidence of blindness has risen by 70% from 1990 to 2000, and 937,000 Americans (according to the 2000 census) are currently blind, with 2.4 million more with "impaired eyesight".
SpasticTeapot
Actually, this sort of tech is over a decade old. A primitive cybereye (with a computer unit that, at the original time of construction, weighed nearly 30 lbs.) has been in use by a blind man since at least the early 90's. Admittedly, he only gets a sort of 3-d dot outline of figures, but that's enough to be able to see oncoming cars and walk down stairs.
In all honesty, if tech continues at its current pace, I would not be surprised to see datajacks (or a less equivalent analogue) by 2012.
frostPDP
I'm glad to know that I'll never get past middle age smile.gif With the way this stuff is advancing along with genetic technology, I'll live forever!
nezumi
I couldn't find a stinking "Real Life Shadowrun Tech" thread, so I'll put this here, for fear of this already being posted somewhere else...

http://www.sakakibara-kikai.co.jp/products...ts/other/LW.htm

Doesn't look like it actually WALKS yet. Looks more like a Land Stand-arounder. But even so, aren't those darn Japanese crazy?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
The article makes a good point though. Calling cyber chrome is a misnomer; it really should be Ice. Bling-bling on the inside, baby.

well i think the chrome label comes from stuff like cyberlimbs that would use stuff like aliminium, titanium, carbonfibre and so on. then you forgo the imitation skin and instead chrome it nyahnyah.gif
DocMortand
QUOTE (nezumi)
I couldn't find a stinking "Real Life Shadowrun Tech" thread, so I'll put this here, for fear of this already being posted somewhere else...

http://www.sakakibara-kikai.co.jp/products...ts/other/LW.htm

Doesn't look like it actually WALKS yet. Looks more like a Land Stand-arounder. But even so, aren't those darn Japanese crazy?

Somebody over there has been watching WAAAY too many Battletech movies/stories/manga. That thing looks like it would fall over at a small gust of wind....or when it fires it's gatling gun on the side. smile.gif And once it fell over, it becomes a nice useless sculpture that can fire bullets if it's lucky. (No self-righting mechanism)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012