Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Webcomic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DrJest
If you don't get the del.icio.us RSS feed, you'll have missed the announcement of this webcomic based on Shadowrun. Check it out, if only to support SR writing.
Demonseed Elite
Damn, that's quick, I just sent Rob that link. Maybe a few other people sent it too. biggrin.gif
Mr Cjelli
Enjoyable, yet I was miffed when the astrally projecting shaman cast invisibility cross planes.
hermit
Heh. I thought everyone knew that one?

It's based on SR, but Kitsune takes a couple of artistic liberties (nothing major, but then again, I don't mind canon being bent a little, if it serves a good story). It's pretty cool though, and she puts out about one page a week.

She's quite talented, if I may say so. You could try and hire her for some promotional comics, though her style - quite anime-ish - may not be in tune with SR's current, American comicbook style.

But anyway, it's a nice read nonetheless. smile.gif
PBTHHHHT
Ah, that was posted back in the general gaming section awhile ago. Actually, I recently gave her a donation just to make sure that the comic will keep coming.

Yes, there's some artistic liberties taken with it, but it's still all in all good fun. C'mon, it's a free webcomic based on Shadowrun, and it's nicely drawn. How many others are there of that.

Plus, last excuse, maybe that character is dual-natured. That's the only way I can think of that would allow for her to cast spells on him and probably communicate (maybe that share thoughts spell I read somewhere).
Demonseed Elite
Nope, I'd never seen that webcomic before today, but I'm glad it was pointed out. And whether anime is your style or not, I think it's awesome to see it inspiring all sorts of creativity like that.

Any idea if she's ever contacted FanPro about illustration? The comic is very anime-inspired, but looking through her gallery, her talents are broader than that. I personally love the "Asian punkette" sketch in her Gallery (under Originals/B&W and Sketches, last one).
Paul
Is this same guy(or gal, or whatever) everybody was raving about a year agoor so? If so, s/he has majorly improved their style.
Smiley
So... they're ALL elves?

EDIT: Ah, wait. I spotted a human.
Kanada Ten
Nicole is getting better, and not just in the experimental styles of her daily sketches - remember that she's just a collage student currently.

She mentioned before that she has not contacted FanPro because she thinks most [Shadowrun] players hate her style and that would extend to the company. Whether that's true or not, she's pimping the game. If you want to encourage her, she has a forum.
Syd
QUOTE (Smiley)
So... they're ALL elves?

That was my first thought. I would say the quality is quite nice, and the more SR the better.
Demonseed Elite
If you want to encourage her, she has a forum.

Already done! wink.gif
DrJest
QUOTE (Mr Cjelli)
Enjoyable, yet I was miffed when the astrally projecting shaman cast invisibility cross planes.

I haven't finished reading it yet, but I get the impression Kitsune really is - a kitsune, that is, a shapeshifter.
Paul
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Nicole is getting better, and not just in the experimental styles of her daily sketches - remember that she's just a collage student currently.

She mentioned before that she has not contacted FanPro because she thinks most [Shadowrun] players hate her style and that would extend to the company. Whether that's true or not, she's pimping the game. If you want to encourage her, she has a forum.

A shame she thinks that. I don't think it's my shadowrun game, but it's still pretty cool in my opinion. As for a forum, well I can barely keep up with this one let alone another.
PBTHHHHT
Don't worry, the traffic on the other forum is barely there; we need more fresh blood! It's crawling at a pace right now with me and a handful other posting like once a week or something if that.
Mr Cjelli
QUOTE (DrJest)
QUOTE (Mr Cjelli @ Apr 1 2005, 11:25 PM)

I haven't finished reading it yet, but I get the impression Kitsune really is - a kitsune, that is, a shapeshifter.

Why would a shapeshifter be able to cast spells onto the physical plane while astrally projecting? And while while her appearance would indicate she's a fox shapeshifter, unless she's taking huge liberties I'd say she's not.

Maybe some bizarre SURGEling?
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
I personally love the "Asian punkette" sketch in her Gallery (under Originals/B&W and Sketches, last one).

Why am I not surprised?

BTW, have you heard from Pi?
PBTHHHHT
Isn't there in the rules that an astrally projecting mage can cast spells upon someone in the physical world who's is either dual natured or astrally perceiving?

Maybe her elf teammate is doing so, astrally perceiving, so that she can cast the spell onto him. I don't think she casted any spells at anybody else, just at her teammate. (if I recall correctly)
Kanada Ten
I'm pretty sure it's artistic licence, which we could explain away but then she goes and conjures up a couple spirits too.

As to what exactly Kitsune is, well I think that's part of the story. She could be a shapeshifter, Foxes are known to keep their tails in human form. Or she could be an experiment, or who knows. I lean to some combination of shapeshifter experiment.
Mr Cjelli
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Isn't there in the rules that an astrally projecting mage can cast spells upon someone in the physical world who's is either dual natured or astrally perceiving?

Maybe her elf teammate is doing so, astrally perceiving, so that she can cast the spell onto him. I don't think she casted any spells at anybody else, just at her teammate. (if I recall correctly)

Yes, but the target of said spell was the street samurai sporting some obvious cyber...I doubt he was astrally perceiving. His dialogue also suggests a complete ignorance of all things magical.
GrinderTheTroll
Bleh, one of them has a tail... and why do they all look 16?
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Mr Cjelli)

Maybe they're using 2nd Ed rules, and sammie-guy had a focus on him that shaman grounded an invisability spell through? Would that even work; I haven't played 2nd ed so I don't know how grounding worked.
Smiley
So she took an artistic liberty or two. Show me a novel or short story where every single little thing is 100% canon. It was entertaining, it was well-illustrated, it was a pleasant way to spend a few minutes.
Demonseed Elite
Yeah, the sad thing is that the novels are canon. wink.gif

Artistic license on fan-made stuff is fine with me!

BTW, have you heard from Pi?

I have, yes. She has a lot to deal with on the real-life side of things right now.
Rieal82
i ran in to that comic when i was checking out the old forums. and god im loving every page. read it all in about an hour and then read it again
Club
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Bleh, one of them has a tail... and why do they all look 16?

My guess would be two reasons:

First, it's just the way she draws.
Second, these are elves. If you see an old elf, run away; S/he is an IE and you're screwed
DeadNeon
The anime style isn't really my cup of tea, but the writing itself is very solid and just seems to exude Shadowrun. Very enjoyable overall.
Arethusa
I've been following the comic nearly since it began, and while Nicole has definitely gotten a lot better, the writing is still very bad.
Sharaloth
As to what exactly Kitsune is, well I think that's part of the story. She could be a shapeshifter, Foxes are known to keep their tails in human form. Or she could be an experiment, or who knows. I lean to some combination of shapeshifter experiment.

She's not a 'shifter. She had to heal herself after getting shot, and if she was a shapeshifter she'd have just regenerated.

She could be a SURGEling, the story's supposed to take place in 2061 (When did the comet hit again? I think it was around this time or slightly later), but indications are that she's looked this way for at least 2 years. She could have been caught in a manaspike and just SURGEd early, or the entire experiment thing. The ears could be done with cosmetic surgury, zero essenc impact stuff. The tail could be custom bioware, she might have willingly sacrificed a point of magic just to get 'closer to her totem'. A while buncha possibilities.
hermit
Comet comes in 2061, don't know the exact date though. And Kitsune was like she is now before First Run, I'd guess. You can ask that on the Bulletproof Forum if you like, Kit has a Q&A thread going there.
Wounded Ronin
YAY NINJAS.
Garland
I kind of assumed she was a 'shifter that had been stunted by experimentation or something. The SR2 companion said something about corps experimenting with cyberware implantation to control 'shifters and destroy their ability to change form.

And it's understandable why she might suspect SR players might not like her work. There's a certain amount of hating on anime going around, and we tend to be a fussy bunch about the rules.

That said, I'm willing to ignore rules being ignored simply because there's no other such webcomic out there. And I like anime very much.
Wounded Ronin
If I could draw, I would make a Shadowrun comic. It would be filled with Japanese dudes, elves with mullets, and punk rockers with uzis who are actually shadowrunners. And it would also have Harrison Ford eating a bowl of noodles. And if you weren't wearing a Japanese business suit, a leather jacket, or a punk rocker getup, you'd be wearing a fashionable high collar overcoat and you'd have a large pistol that causes an improbable 9M damage.

Oh, yeah, and I'd also include all the dice rolls in the comic. So every time someone took a shot you'd see a picture of the dice that appeared and what they rolled as. Some would be white, and some would be red, so you know what pool was used. Finally, I'd write the TN so that you'd know what you were looking at.
Kagetenshi
Hey hey hey, I stick pretty close to canon mechanics in my writing without having to be silly nyahnyah.gif

~J
Wounded Ronin
You have writing? Where?
Kagetenshi
Here, here (that died but I hope to pick it back up again sometime; the basic idea is still one I greatly enjoy, but I couldn't get the next scene right and it was a very important one for me), here (some by me, some by other posters), and here.

~J
Shadow
Since Kage is pimping his (very good story) I thought I might as well. It's hard to belive its been over a year since I posted it.

A very long night
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012