Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Count Increase
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Crimson Jack
Count Increase
Prerequisites: Cleansing, Toxic Shaman

Count Increase is used to create a temporary background count. A toxic initiate may only create or increase a background count by their grade divided by 2 (round down). Make a Sorcery Test against a target number of (new background count x 2). The background count is increased by 1 for every 2 successes. The toxic initiate must then resist (new background count)D Drain using Willpower. Count Increase takes a number of Complex Actions equal to twice the new background count level and requires the initiate to use astral perception or projection.

Basically, a reverse of cleansing, with a bit of tinkering to how the metamagic works. I'm spitballing this and a Radiation Ball spell for some unique powers to give a toxic Adversary shaman I'm creating for an upcoming game. What thinkest y'all?
hahnsoo
How long does this temporary background count last? Why not use the Mana Static spell instead? What advantages does the metamagic have over Mana Static:
Mana Static
Type: M • Target: 4 • Duration: P • Drain: (D)
This area-effect spell creates a background count of 1 for every 2 successes the caster rolls (up to a maximum background count equal to the Force of the spell or 5, whichever is lower). As with normal background count (p. 83), the static increases the target numbers of all magical tests made in the area, including the caster’s. Once the spell is made permanent, the background count begins to recede at a rate of 1 point per hour.

Not bashing it, just curious.
Crimson Jack
Oh yes, sorry. I was thinking that background count created via this metamagic would last 24 hours per point. A little burlier than the spell and possibly something more in line with the way a toxic shammie would develop his initiatory metamagic powers.
Edward
It seems strange to require cleansing as a prerequisite as it is the polar opposite of your proposal.

In fact I would consider allowing a toxic with this metamagic to take filtering without cleansing.

Also if the background count created is aspected to the creator it becomes very powerful. It should be compared to the adept metamagic virtuoso from SOTA 65. of cause I do think that virtuoso is overpowered especially in the hands of a magician adept, discussions on that subject can be found on the SOTA65 boards.

Edward
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Edward)
It seems strange to require cleansing as a prerequisite as it is the polar opposite of your proposal.

In fact I would consider allowing a toxic with this metamagic to take filtering without cleansing.

I had thought of that, but the line of thinking was that in order to be able to increase the background count, one would need to first know how to deal with it. I dunno, maybe not. sarcastic.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
I had thought of that, but the line of thinking was that in order to be able to increase the background count, one would need to first know how to deal with it.

I agree.

I would also never give Filtering without Cleansing as a prerequisite. It makes sense as a natural progression, and it's too powerful to just drop one of the main requirements.
Kagetenshi
Personally, I think this makes it too easy to create Mana Warps. YMMV.

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Personally, I think this makes it too easy to create Mana Warps. YMMV.

Don't get me wrong ... I don't necessarily agree with the new Metamagic itself as written. Just with the need for Cleansing as a prerequisite if the new Metamagic was introduced into a game.

I have the same problem with the Virtuoso Metamagic.
Edward
I don’t think you need to worry about the power of filtering in the hands of a magician with increase count. Increase count being restricted to toxics witch may never be PCs (unless the GM is being unusual, potency is far to powerful considering its minimal cost). Especially considering filtering is of limited use to a toxic as an appreciable portion of background counts are aspected towards toxics

If the GM wants the toxic sharman to have filtering he can just ad one more initiatory grade and a point of magic loss from another source (deadly wound when he was less experienced)

As to requiring cleansing it doesn’t make sense to me.

It is like requiring knowledge on how to remove toxic gunk from a forest before granting the physical ability to drop barrels of it in the forest. Historically it as always been easier to make a mess than clean one up.

As to why filtering could be taken after woods a toxic shaman will take no penalty from most a toxic background count a form of filtering that forces a portion of the background count into being toxic will counter the negative effect of another type of background count. Mechanically the effect is identical to filtering.

Of cause if your allowing a PC to have this metamagic then you will almost certainly have balance issues, if not from eth metamagic itself then from potency.

Edward
Fortune
There are more kinds of Background Count than just Toxic Domains. In fact, I would think that most causes of BC are not Toxic in nature. Filtering is immensely useful to almost any mage, even Toxics outside of their Domains.
Crimson Jack
Hmm, maybe I should just still with the Mana Static spell.

I had intended this to be a NPC/Enemy-only exclusive metamagic. Something that would allow for the increase of a BC in an area that wasn't totally ravaged by the actual BC caused by Glow City (which is where the shaman would be from). In effect, the area around the shaman's fortress would be more lethal due to his metamagic and not because the runners were actually walking through an overly-dangerous radiated area.

Mana Static will work though. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012