Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Mauvais Manual
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ancient History
Michelle Mauvais, the noted French Alchemist and Hermetic scholar, first rose to prominence in the Twenty-thirties with the release of her popular Le Petit Grimoire, which contained thirty low-force, limited use and novel spells that cost next to nothing for the average magician to learn and use. Such "cantrips," as Mauvais styled them, are still very much in vogue and Le Petit Grimoire remains a popular textbook and student manual in thaumaturgical programmes throughout Europe. The fame and royalties from sale of the textbook guaranteed her

An avid writer who contributed a number of articles to various Dutch, French, English, and Italian journals dedicated to the spread of Alchemical knowledge, Mauvais' second published work, Magi, placed her as first runner-up for the 2056 Nobel Prize. Magi was a grammar for a universal magical language, artifically derived from a combination of ancient heiroglyphical and pictograph languages, as well as alchemical and astronomical symbolism. Ideally, the language rode midway between the artistic and symbolic Shamanic formulae and the the language-intense Hermetic formulae, facilitating an easier translation between the two. Unfortunately, while lauded loudly by many, especially the burgeoning movement that would become the Unified Magic Theorists, the language was never put to practice in any large degree and became ignored.

Shortly before her death in 2062, Mauvais, at the ripe age 120, promised to bring forth her "triptych," a completed work that would broach new (or old, as the rumors went) ground in Alchemical theory. Mauvais' death was unnatural, but not unexpected. Possessed of a legendary constitution, Michelle Mauvais engaged in a number of greulling practices to engage the company of secret and esoteric magical clubs and societies, partaking of painful ordeals and enormous quantities of drugs. In addition, Mauvais was a sadomasochist who frequented a little-known club in London, where she allowed herself to become subject to multiple possession by a variety of spirits. Her last sojourn, mere hours after completing her work and submitting it to her publisher, lasted three days and proved the death of her.

The publisher carefully edited the complete edition, expurgating the greater part of the material and presented a much thinner and less impressive work to the market at large. He then printed a small number of "complete" editions on a private press he himself owned, no more than three hundred, and auctioned the lot off to a daring collection of occult figures he had somehow managed to contact.

At least one of these purchasers scanned their copy onto the Matrix, were it resides in a forgotten Magicknet database. Yet another pirated their copy, and published a butchered Cantonese and Mandarin translation in mainland China. The original copy is still at large, as it was discovered stolen at the same time as the publisher was discovered murdered...his ears, eyes, and mouth having been filled with molten gold, the charred fragments of an unidentified but apparently annotated copy of the Auction Edition in his blistered hands.

Below is presented the full text of the Mauvais Manual, penned in French:

Chapter 1: Artificial Stone
Here, Mauvais details her researches into the creation of artificial gemstones by alchemical means, citing as historical examples certain obscure asiatic religious societies said to incorporate such gems into their weapons.
[ Spoiler ]

The expurgated editions have removed Mauvais' further notes, which hint that such weapons may possess a sort of bloodlust. Also removed where her researches on the use of bezoars in enchanting.
[ Spoiler ]

Chapter 2: True Homonunculi
An ancient goal of classical alchemists, Mauvais has recreated and refined the methods of crafting a true homonunculus. Unlike the physical constructs created and enchanted by magicians the world over to hold their ally or familiar spirits, True Homonunculi are small, mindless humanoids grown in jars from a variety of chemicals and magical substances by a sufficiently skillful and wise alchemists who make use of Mauvais’ formulae. Those few alchemists who have a copy of the work with the full formulae (which do not appear in the edited editions) and have expressed their opinions deride Mauvais for making use of Sorcery in the Enchanting process.
[ Spoiler ]

Chapter 3: The Alchemical Rites of Mummification
Following the mystical aspects of mummification rituals worldwide, in this chapter Mauvais has condensed them to their basic components. Then, using the model of the Egyptian mummification ceremony, Mauvais details the formulae and methods by which a modern metahuman or animal corpus may be properly prepared, using alchemical reagents, to prevent reanimation.
[ Spoiler ]

Mauvais herself allowed, in her will, for her body to be preserved using a similar formula. Her body rests in a tank of alchemical fluids within the Black Museum of the London Occult Society.

In the unedited copies of the book circulating about is a regrettably brief section wherein Mauvais detailed a means for initiated magicians and adepts to approach “The Lands of the West,” a metaplane corresponding to the ancient Egyptian afterlife by means of self-induced near-death experience. Metaplanar mappers speculate this may in fact be similar to Guinee, the Isle Beneath the Sea in Voudoun tradition, but populated by more familiar representations.
[ Spoiler ]

Chapter 4: Alchemical Alloys and Metalworking
In this chapter, Mauvais refined and expanded upon her published articles on alchemical metalworking, describing the proper means of using the Clean Air, Alter Pressure and Alter Temperature spells to create stronger alloys or better purify metal arcana. She presents formulae for slight variations on the Control Fire spell so as to create a blow-torch quality suitable for welding, and Clean Earth suitable to rid metal ore of gross impurities (alternately, it may be used to reclaim a specific metal or mineral from a quantity of dross or slag.) Enchanters using the techniques Mauvais has specified in her book have reported higher-quality blades and weapon foci.
[ Spoiler ]

In the unedited Editions of the book, this chapter likewise contains the spell and methods required to magically electroplate metals onto objects, even orichalcum, which must normally be worked into an alloy.
[ Spoiler ]

Chapter 5: Potions and Elixirs
Despite many ardent attempts, Michelle Mauvais never successfully swindled, seduced, or wrested the secret of brewing magical compounds. However, she did discover that adepts without normal access to the metaplanes could, by overindulging in various drugs, place themselves in such a mental state that they could go on a “Vision Quest,” and thus perform Astral Quests as normal magicians.
[ Spoiler ]

The unedited editions of the Mauvais Manual contain what might be Mauvais’ greatest secret, a section describing her researches into the Elixir Vitae, or Elixir of Life. Mauvais spent fifty years researching the Elixir, the last ten as a vampire pawn to a decadent and paranoid nosferatu.
This Golden Elixir, as she calls it, may be drafted from various rare and difficult ingredients, following an exacting formulae. The arcane text describing the proper metamagical technique to craft the Elixir Vitae itself is nearly incomprehensible save to the highest initiates.
[ Spoiler ]

Mortax
......... eek.gif ..........wow

Hmmmm.... gives me an idea for my campain to rid a vamp of HMHVV.

Ancient History, once again, marvolus work. notworthy.gif
Fortune
Good stuff! I love reading your posts. smile.gif
hermit
Very nice! Couldn't you collect all your works on your home page or something? It'd be a shame should they sink into obscurity or be deleted ...
Foreigner
A.H.:

I know that this is slightly off-topic, but isn't "Mauvais" French for "The Bad One" or "The Evil One" (depending upon how you choose to translate it) ?

That is, "The Devil"/"Satan"/"Lucifer", et cetera?

--Foreigner
Ancient History
I've been giving some small thought to starting another page just with my original material, seperate from the Ancient Files.

[/edit]Foreigner: It does indeed mean "Evil One," but not as far as I know has it been used in reference to the Devil, though it makes sense.
hermit
Do, do, do! It's too good to just sit in a dusty, forgotten corner of Dumpshock's atttic.
Tanka
AH: I hate you for being so goddamn awesome at this.
Mortax
That's just because you know I will read it and get ideas. smile.gif
Tanka
Assuming I get to play with you ever again. You're graduating and all that. *sniff*
DocMortand
Wow. Just wow.

Oh, Lina - I think I have a source for your magical Rejuv seeking....
Pthgar
It would be a great couterpoint to "The Ancient Files." Ancient History's Ancient Tome.
Ancient History
WEll, they're not all exactly ancient. But I could put this and the Dead Man's Book and the the CHildren of the Dragon pamphlet and the others up somewhere, I suppose.
hermit
That'd be wonderful. smile.gif
Astelaron
AH: I hate you for being so goddamn awesome at this.

I second your assessment Tanka. I do hope your graduation doesn't take you away from Shadowrun AH. I may be new to the boards but I have already developed a strong psychological dependency on your creativity. If your ideas were to simply stop or worse be lost, I just might go... wobble.gif

Once within the Westlands, the traveler performs a standard metaplanar quest, the purpose of which is fulfilled by finding and bargaining with one of the mythical beings that inhabit the metaplane. After they have finished (either successful or failed), they must stand before Anubis, the Judge of the Dead, who determines whether or not they may return. The subject should make either a Charisma test (Quest Rating), or tactfully bribe Anubis (Quest rating in good karma.) Failure indicates that the subject is jolted roughly back into their material body (they are no longer stabilized) or, if they can astrally project and a dead body is near enough, find themselves inhabiting a corpse and unable to leave it for one hour (one minute in the case of adepts with the Limited Astral Projection edge.) If successful, the subject is returned to their body unharmed, and is stabilized until they are treated or revive on their own.

This would be an excellent way for the lone magical healer of a group to stabilize him/herself. Dieing until you die from it is really overrated. I would much prefer to chat it up with a deity than stay dead.
Ancient History
'course, this'll all be outdated come 4th edition, I bet.
kevyn668
Zing! biggrin.gif
Ancient History
Seriously, this one is a grab-bag of things I've been thinking of...the vampire-pawn based Elixir of Life, the Alter Pressure spell for alchemy, etc.
Fortune
QUOTE (Ancient History)
WEll, they're not all exactly ancient. But I could put this and the Dead Man's Book and the the CHildren of the Dragon pamphlet and the others up somewhere, I suppose.

That'd be cool. It'd be handy to have them all in one place. I think I missed the CotD Pamphlet, and wouldn't want to miss others as well.
Shockwave_IIc
CHildren of the Dragon pamphlet. Where is that is it on your site yet?

Excellent Work as always Ancient History.

Thank You.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Ancient History)
I've been giving some small thought to starting another page just with my original material, seperate from the Ancient Files.

[/edit]Foreigner: It does indeed mean "Evil One," but not as far as I know has it been used in reference to the Devil, though it makes sense.

Yes! Make a page, so we don't lose all these awesome ideas!

On a sidenote, as a Francophone, "Mauvais" is kinda like "bad", that is, it does not carry a strong emphasis of evil. Just that it isn't good. Calling the Devil "bad" is sort of an understatement, though it is technically accurate.
SirBedevere
Please do post your stuff on a web page, it's so wonderful it would be a shame to lose it. love.gif
Mortax
QUOTE (Astelaron)
I second your assessment Tanka. I do hope your graduation doesn't take you away from Shadowrun AH. I may be new to the boards but I have already developed a strong psychological dependency on your creativity. If your ideas were to simply stop or worse be lost, I just might go... wobble.gif

Um, I think he may have been reffering to me.

Oh, and Tanka, I may be here this summer and I"m going to grad school in pittsburgh. (hopefully.) You guys don't get out of it that easy. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012