Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Samurai and headphones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Grifter
1) About headphones. What happens to the phone if the owner doesn't pay his monthly bill? What kind of opions can he get? Rollover minutes or roaming charges? I was just curious if any of this would apply.

2) Anyone now where I could dig up some stats on the Renraku Red Samurai, possibly history, organization, weaponry, etc.?
SuperSpy
For the Red Samurai, there's a bit of information on their background in Corporate Download if I recall correctly. For specific stats on the Samurai themselves, check out the "Supernova" mission in the First Run Adventure book, and the "Return of the Father" mission in Brainscan.
Nikoli
It's basically assumed that your phones are part of the lifestyle costs.
The Grifter
I don't have any of those books. Anyone got a file they could possibly e-mail my way? Or post the info on here? Hell, even a link would work.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (The Grifter)
1) About headphones. What happens to the phone if the owner doesn't pay his monthly bill? What kind of opions can he get? Rollover minutes or roaming charges? I was just curious if any of this would apply.

This is a subject that's never been brought up, because there's really no point to it. You buy the phone, and boom, you're covered forever.
hahnsoo
From the Corporate Download, p 82: Synopsis - Red Samurai are trained from all age groups, from high school to middle aged workers who have proved their loyalty. A shadowrunner will NEVER become a Red Samurai (although the reverse can certainly be true), simply because candidates are so stringently tested and observed throughout their lives by Renraku. All candidates are sent to Chiba to a place called "the Forge" for two years. At the six month mark, they are are divided into fledgling squads and learn how to function as a 5 man team. Squads graduate together and persist past graduation. They are moved as groups, and every 5-man team will know each other better than their own family. They will work together as a well-oiled machine. The Red Samurai are elite and elitist. No metahuman, except for the occasional elf, will ever become a Red Samurai, and thus Renraku has problems infiltrating metahuman communities. Red Samurai are predominantly male and human (over 90%). They have overlapping concentrations within a 5-man team, and excel in brute force and assault. Their main weakness is that they tend to be overconfidant and they have trouble with subterfuge and stealth.

From the Corporate Download, p 135:
The Red Samurai were the first fully-trained elite corporate response team created. Normally, the Red Samurai are not used for everyday security concerns, so if the Red Samurai are on guard detail they must be protecting something vital to Renraku's survival.
The Red Samurai are primarily used for corp-sanctioned black ops, sometimes including pursuing shadowrunners that have struck against Renraku.  The Red Samurai are almost exclusively human and male; an occasional elf does enter the team, but only if he has magical ability.  No other metahumans will be found as part of a Red Samurai unit, and unless the tactical situation dictates otherwise, these troops tend to target metahumans first.
A typical Red Samurai squad consists of four troopers and one mage.  The troopers are equipped with state of the art cyberware, combat armor, and top-of-the-line weaponry.  The mage is armed and armored exactly like the other troopers to avoid being singled out for enemy attacks.  All communication within the team is done by headware or in-helmet radio and is encrypted; Red Samurai almost never speak aloud.  Red Samurai are rated as Superhuman and Professional

If you need stats, they typically use SCK Model 100 SMGs (probably smartlinked) and Browning Max-Power Heavy Pistols. The street samurai archetype works well for a typical Red Samurai (approximately the same stats as the ones given in the adventures), except substitute Corporate Etiquette for Street Etiquette and Small Unit Tactics for Stealth. The "real deal" can be found on page 98 of Brainscan.

Edit: I just noticed that the Street Samurai Archetype has the SUT Knowledge skill, and I wasn't aware that it was a Knowledge skill (I doubt it). So either make the above substitution, or use the rating 6 Knowledge skill and substitute Demolitions for Stealth.
Arethusa
QUOTE (The Grifter)

If you and/or your players are really into roleplaying details, make something up. Base it on present day plans or extrapolate it. It's not covered because there's really no reason to.
Critias
SUT was a Knowledge Skill (and only a Knowledge Skill) at the time SR3 was released. It was later books (CC did so first, I think) that introduced it as an Active skill (and one that accomplishes anything).
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Apr 5 2005, 11:51 PM)

If you need stats, they typically use SCK Model 100 SMGs (probably smartlinked) and Browning Max-Power Heavy Pistols.  The street samurai archetype works well for a typical Red Samurai (approximately the same stats as the ones given in the adventures), except substitute Corporate Etiquette for Street Etiquette and Small Unit Tactics for Stealth.  The "real deal" can be found on page 98 of Brainscan.

!st : M&M I believe makes SUT an active skill with more actual in combat uses than the skill on the street sam archtype. Basically an upgrade.

2nd) the samurai in Brainscan blow chunks compared to...say.... the Tir Ghosts from Corporate Punishment. Stealth 8 for one. SMG 7-8. Ruthenium secutriy armor. APDS. INitiated mages and adepts. That's the norm for the Ghosts. Upgrade those Red Menaces ! They deserve it, and so do your players for thinking they can take on those bad @sses!

I mean really, they train together for years. They're the elite! They ARE world class! Any runners but the top cut SHOULD get chewed up by them!

As for the phones, most runners don't exactly have a credit card to link that phone account to. Usually they use the black market version. Check Matrix for rules, but basically you pay a decker or his fixer contact to hook you up with the works.It's supposed to cost a little extra, but most don't bother with it, and just assume its' there, which works just fine. Unless you're playing a REALLY gritty game , SR isn't about paying the phone bill.
hahnsoo
The Brainscan Red Samurai are pretty mean, especially if you actually play them as a team. They have stats on par with most Street Sams, and you have 4 of them plus a Mage... enough to set up an easy ambush and rip almost any SR team to shreds. If they need more punch, just give them APDS or AV rounds (they have the resources of an entire megacorporation behind them) and grenades (a Superflash grenade followed by Neurostun takes out most runner teams pretty easily). Also, according the Corporate Download, the Red Samurai do not focus on Stealth, so they don't have a Stealth skill... they are NOT the Ghosts, they're the Brute Squad, one step above Elite Knight Errant and one step below Ghosts/Wildcats.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Critias)
SUT was a Knowledge Skill (and only a Knowledge Skill) at the time SR3 was released. It was later books (CC did so first, I think) that introduced it as an Active skill (and one that accomplishes anything).

It was Man and Machine, I thought. SUT's a fun skill to use if you have the right team for it.
fistandantilus4.0
OR a tac comp to make it a simple action instead of complex. And good initiative helps too.
Critias
Or both. wink.gif

Yeah, SUT came out in several books all fairly close together, all with teesny-tiny-different explanations. M&M, CC, Matrix (I think?) -- it took the world by storm, for a while there, with explanations and revisions and expanded info in several sourcebooks once after the other. Before all that, though, in the basic SR3 book, it was just a Knowledge Skill (albeit an appropriate one for many, many, characters).
The Grifter
Thanks alot, everyone. Huge help on the Reds.

As for the phones, I don't intend to use rules for it in my games, just wondered.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012