Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leonardo's Deck
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dave
I don't know the decking rules and as such know next to nothing about decks, the Matrix etc.

So I was wondering about Leonardo's deck, I know it is infinitely better than any other decks available on (and off) the market but does anyone know what makes his deck different to the normal decks?
Narmio
His has Protagonist Power, a 1MP utility that means you don't have to follow any rules, ever.
Demosthenes
[ Spoiler ]

[Edit]Sorry, you meant 'Deck'... biggrin.gif[/Edit]
The Grifter
*sigh* Is nothing sacred here? LOL
Snow_Fox
It looks like california redwood but it's actually pressure treated pine.
Ancient History
Well, since your mean Leonardo and not QUicksilver...Leo's deck is based on weird optical properties. You deck with it, even use otaku abilities with it, just be looking at the damn thing.
Cakeman
So, it might not be a deck, it might be an artifact... magic and technology together... *drumroll*
hahnsoo
It might be... a horrible plot device in a novel that reads like a bad version of the Da Vinci Code (ugh). Granted, I think Black Madonna actually predates the Da Vinci Code.

It's too bad, too. I'm quite fond of Serrin Shamandar.
Fortune
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Granted, I think Black Madonna actually predates the Da Vinci Code.

By at least five years.
lorthazar
Leonardo's deck is construct from redwood and has a built in jacuzzi and a lovely awning..... Oh you meant his Cyberdeck wel....
mmu1
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
It might be... a horrible plot device in a novel that reads like a bad version of the Da Vinci Code (ugh). Granted, I think Black Madonna actually predates the Da Vinci Code.

It's too bad, too. I'm quite fond of Serrin Shamandar.

A bad version of "The Da Vinci Code"? That's sort of like saying "a bad variant of colon cancer". nyahnyah.gif
Ancient History
Be fair. Black Madonna exceeds The Da Vinci Code in accuracy, readability, enjoyability, and literary content.
Garland
Ouch.
CircuitBoyBlue
Wow, on Dumpshock, we hate EVERYTHING.
Cynic project
that is not true. At dumpshock we love Ares and FastJack.
RunnerPaul
And Pie.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Apr 6 2005, 02:13 PM)
Be fair. Black Madonna exceeds The Da Vinci Code in accuracy, readability, enjoyability, and literary content.

You're absolutely correct. smile.gif "Strike that, reverse it" -Willy Wonka
mfb
QUOTE (Snow Fox)
It looks like california redwood but it's actually pressure treated pine.

that's the funniest thing i've seen all day.
Astelaron
Leonardo's deck is made from Orichalcum stolen from Lofwyr. It has been embibed with powerful magic made all the more potent by a Great Dragon that sacrificed himself to save the world. If not for Leonardo's deck there would be no chance the Great Work would be finished, daemons would invade the world, and there would be no System Failure or SR4.

Too bad for Leo the missing Orichalcum really pissed Lofwyr off.
Dave
Thanks to those who replied with constructive posts that attempted to address my original question.
DrJest
Leonardo's some kind of technomantic genius, so my guess is that his cyberdeck really is a technomagical construct. No PC would ever be able to grasp the fundamental concepts enough to even use the damn thing, imho.

And btw, I kind of liked the Da Vinci Code. I just wish people would realise that it's a standard adventure story - ie, the facts get bent to fit the plot. Jeez, anyone'd think you were all covert Opus Dei disinformation agents cyber.gif

But Angels and Demons was way better anyway biggrin.gif
mfb
without having read the book, i can guess what the problem is: many readers assume that the bent or broken facts are, in fact, factual, which makes them idiots, which generates an idiot-oriented background count around the book itself.

as i recall, leonardo's deck allowed him to project his icon in multiple locations at once, made his actions within the Matrix so fast that all other icons appeared to be standing still (even given the Matrix's brain-breaking technological crock-of-crappery, that one's got a special sore spot in my cerebrum) and was generaly omgwtflol.
Demosthenes
Having read the book, I can confirm your guess.
A lot of the bent or broken facts are based on "Holy blood, holy grail"...which purports to be nonfiction, despite being so full of holes you could fit Lofwyr through it sideways...

Spoiler to protect those who don't want to know the big, huge, so-not-obvious-it's-written-in-neon-lights-from-a-third-of-the-way-through-the-book secret ending of the Da Vinci Code.
[ Spoiler ]
DrJest
Just on that grail business...

[ Spoiler ]
Demosthenes
Grail again...
[ Spoiler ]
psykotisk_overlegen
Back to the topic on hand. Leos deck is better becuase it was concieved by an IE and everything IEs touch becomes almighty.
mmu1
QUOTE (mfb)
without having read the book, i can guess what the problem is: many readers assume that the bent or broken facts are, in fact, factual, which makes them idiots, which generates an idiot-oriented background count around the book itself.

You're wrong, at least to some extent. The major problem with the book is that the author himself (in a note at the beginning of the book) essentially makes the claim that the story, while fictional, is based entirely on real historical evidence, and that all places and orgnisations depicted in it are real - in effect, that he is writing about factual events, and the only fiction are the characters he uses to tell the story.
Ancient History
The major problem with the book is that writing's bad, the plot is see-through, and a bunch of ignorant, barely literate idiots made it a Bestseller.
mmu1
QUOTE (Ancient History)
The major problem with the book is that writing's bad, the plot is see-through, and a bunch of ignorant, barely literate idiots made it a Bestseller.

All true, but I was just addressing a specific point.
Vuron
QUOTE (Ancient History)

Honestly this is pretty much the case with almost all bestselling thrillers written these days. Now I'm not going to say that Dan Brown's the next best thing since sliced bread because he certainly isn't but I fail to see why people should blame him for basically following the conventions of the genre (cardboard characters, bogus plots, etc) and being successful with it. It's pretty much like going to see a big hollywood action movie and getting pissed when the action and plot are totally unbelievable.

Yes anyone who thinks the book is great literature or scholarship should be beaten but it's definitely a decent example of the genre and what the genre is meant to do (sell pageturners) and to complain that it's inherently bad is a bit of bad form.

However in comparison I'd say Leonardo frustrates the hell out of people because he so patently breaks all the rules for the reality of Shadowrun. One can suspend disbelief about magic and dragons etc and one can even accept that by dint of thier extreme age IEs and dragons pretty much break the rules of magic etc but Leonardo breaks the paradigm by being an IE that's also insanely good at the one area that humanity was best at : Technology. I think that's where Black Madonna and other books referencing Leonardo really fail.
Demosthenes
Yeah, but books about Leonardo don't leave people thinking that the Roman Catholic Church is desperately out to murder the descendants of Jesus and Mary Magdelene...and that Opus Dei is an organisation of incompetent zealot crackpots.
[ Spoiler ]
DrJest
Don't open if you're susceptible to frothing at the mouth over criticism of Catholic organisations.

[ Spoiler ]
Demosthenes
In spoiler to protect the innocent...
[ Spoiler ]
Fygg Nuuton
Leo's deck is big, but not too big. all the ladies (and some men) love his deck

i wish my deck was half what his deck is

frown.gif

i only have a stock deck, but its all in how you use it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012