Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Charitable Foundations in the 2060's?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FlakJacket
Do people think philanthropic foundations would still have a place in Shadowrun's world? I came across the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, and whilst he might have originally used it as a tax dodge, nowadays its worth some eleven billion dollars and funds about four hundred and fifty million dollars a year in medical research through grants. Something like this could probably give some of the smaller megas a run for their money in the biomedical field. Could organisations like these survive you think or would the corps crush or try and subvert them to their needs them to be rid of the competition?
hahnsoo
I'm Mr. Obvious here stating the obvious, just to get it out of the way: The biggest one that is written in canon is the "Draco Foundation", of course. Then there is the Atlantean Foundation, and the Universal Brotherhood (we all know where THAT ended up).

In general, I think that philanthropic organizations can survive and thrive in the Sixth World. They play by the same rules as corps, but they have a different goal (spend money, instead of make money). I'm sure some corporations will see them as a threat, but others will try to take advantage of that capital (and PR) by adjusting their less important policies or creating shell companies. It could also be a way to involve some lesser corporations into the mix (Microdeck and Bill Gates' legacy of philanthropic donations, for example).
Kagetenshi
The Universal Brotherhood is the premier nationwide philanthropic organization, dedicated to the advancement of all mankind.

~J
Smiley
My favorite is the Buy-Smiley's-Physad-A-Weapon-Focus Foundation. All donations are welcome... and tax-deductible.
ef31415
Well there's the Gates Foundation, .... or what's left of it by 2060.

Mothers of Metahumans
Humanis

You know, this is probably worth a NERPS.

Lets see, what can I make up off of the top of my head:

Shadowland Server Fund
Brotherhood Recovery (deprogramming UB victims)
Mercurial Fund
Toxic Shaman Anti-Defamation League
Fortune
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Then there is the Atlantean Foundation ...

I don't know about calling the Atlantean Foundation a charitable foundation, despite its name.
Edward
People will still like charitable organizations. There will still be tireless workers for the downtrodden and agencies that collects money for starving war orphans. I would expect the red cross to still be around, green peas probably got crushed by megas. New ones will be popping up to look after BTL users (in the same way as today’s drug rehab centers and probably with less success)and the number of missions to rescue children from SINles squalor is significant.

Today most corporations make donations to charities that serve the dual purpose of tax write of and advertising. By 2050 I expect many of the megas will include in indoctrination in there children’s charities.

In wolf and raven one of the short stories revolved around a charitable mission to save children in the barons, ok it was a farce but he was taken seriously so it must actually happen some times.

So yes I do believe there is space for charity in the 6th world.

Edward
fistandantilus4.0
ORC
Ork Rights Coallition
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012