Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 and PDF's
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nikoli
Been wondering this for a bit, but will the new version come out of the gate with dual release of PDF and hard-copy?
Fortune
I definitely hope that is the case.
Vuron
Just based on how easy it is to get pdfs from a variety of sources (even assuming that you'd have to have a new release use DRM) I kinda doubt that they would be offered simultaneously. In the instances where I've seen this commonly discussed the idea of having PDFs available (even if you make higher margins on them) tend to piss off distributors and especially FLGS owners. If FLGS owners feel like gaming companies aren't supporting them (and let's be serious an online sale is often viewed as one taken away from the FLGS market in general tru or not) they are unlikely to stock as many copies of the book. So while serious gamers might get thier PDF needs met early on it ultimate seems to result in fewer sales down the road for the system.

Not that I like that PDFs generally have to wait but those seem to be the facts for companies dependent on book sales.
Fortune
Well, due to my current circumstances, a pdf version is probably the only way I'll be able to buy SR4, so it does make a difference to me.
Vuron
QUOTE (Fortune)
Well, due to my current circumstances, a pdf version is probably the only way I'll be able to buy SR4, so it does make a difference to me.

Totally understandable but I'm not sure you are going to luck out on this one. Granted we could be totally surprised but in general the reasons I listed seem to dominate publisher's concerns.
Adam
More and more mid-sized publishers seem to be throwing away those concerns and at least experimenting with releasing PDF products at the same time the product is released in print, or sometimes before. Green Ronin is one of these companies, and GoO has started releasing PDFs before the street date for the printed book, as well.
Nikoli
Thing is, I'd end up buying both because of venues like this forum. I love shadowrun. If I could convince my local gamers to do likewise, this would be the only game we play.
Vuron
QUOTE (Adam)
More and more mid-sized publishers seem to be throwing away those concerns and at least experimenting with releasing PDF products at the same time the product is released in print, or sometimes before. Green Ronin is one of these companies, and GoO has started releasing PDFs before the street date for the printed book, as well.

That's a good change although has it been limited to secondary titles or has it been extended to core rulebooks as well? I guess I should check to see if Blue Rose is going to come out on PDf simultaneously or not wink.gif
Jérémie
QUOTE (Adam)

And FanPro ?
Vuron
QUOTE (Jérémie)
QUOTE (Adam @ Apr 7 2005, 10:23 PM)

And FanPro ?

I think that might depend on the nature of thier distribution contract with Fast Foward Entertainment. I wouldn't be surprised to here there is a do not compete clause in the contract. If there is even if they wanted to go that route they might not be able to contractually.
Adam
QUOTE (Vuron)
That's a good change although has it been limited to secondary titles or has it been extended to core rulebooks as well? I guess I should check to see if Blue Rose is going to come out on PDf simultaneously or not wink.gif

Blue Rose came out in PDF weeks before it was available in print.
Vuron
QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (Vuron @ Apr 7 2005, 03:39 PM)

Blue Rose came out in PDF weeks before it was available in print.

You know there are definitely multiple reasons why I need to pay more attention to RPG.net rather than perusing my FLGS. You ask most game store employees "Hey when is Blue Rose coming out?" and they'll look quizzically at you (ala the RCA dog) and ask you if that's a new expansion for some CCG.

Anyway I generally prefer nice hard copies so will pick it up when I see it but overall this is a positive sign if only from the perspective that RPG publishers would likely get a higher return off of PDF than hardcopy.
Adam
QUOTE (Jérémie)
And FanPro ?

As I mentioned a few weeks back, this hasn't been finalized yet.

Vuron: Fast Forward doesn't handle anything for FanPro anymore; Studio 2 Publishing handles the sales end of things.
Vuron
QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (Jérémie @ Apr 7 2005, 03:41 PM)
And FanPro ?

As I mentioned a few weeks back, this hasn't been finalized yet.

Vuron: Fast Forward doesn't handle anything for FanPro anymore; Studio 2 Publishing handles the sales end of things.

That's interesting are they a game publisher or are they exclusively a distributor?
Adam
They're probably going to publish some products, but mostly they handle sales, and I believe they also handle print-buying for Pinnacle/Great White Games.

John Danovich, the guy behind Studio 2, also handled our sales and marketing at Fast Forward, so there's no major changes.
Vuron
QUOTE (Adam)
They're probably going to publish some products, but mostly they handle sales, and I believe they also handle print-buying for Pinnacle/Great White Games.

John Danovich, the guy behind Studio 2, also handled our sales and marketing at Fast Forward, so there's no major changes.

All so they are mainly filling the niche of handling direct sales rather than have that handled in house. That's certainly an interesting business model as it provides gaming companies more specialized sales experience without having to have someone on staff. I guess it's more of a FanPros contract requires 1/4th of a person to handle while brands x,y,z each require 1/4th of a person. For a small premium you get someone else to handle the icky sales job smile.gif
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Fortune)

Same here, mostly due to lack of space.

I think at least offering the core rulebook(s) as PDFs would be a great idea. It lowers the cost for prospective players into the initial system, but without giving your product away like the free d20 SRD did, or taking a hit on profits like MS does selling the Xbox at a loss. People will still buy the hardcopy books, and probably just about as many people as you would if you hadn't offered the PDF version, but you get a wider base of customers who have the PDF version and thus more people who would be willing to buy the splat/setting books.

What's the downside here?
Papadoc
I would definitely opt for both. While I love hard print books, .pdf files on my laptop are far better an option now days, especially as there are way to may books to lug around to a game session.
Club
i've found that it is signifigintly easier to learn the rules when you have bookmarks and the search function. So yes, I'll get the PDF when it comes out.

On the other hand, I've had REALLY bad luck with laptops, so I'll get the physical copy as well.
Phantom Runner
Frag....

I'd just be happy if the main book came out as a hard cover that didn't fall apart within a week....
Adam
Gosh, good thing that SR4 will be hardcover then. smile.gif
Kesh
Count me as another that would buy both. A copy for leisurely reading & sharing at the table, and a copy for quick searches + copy & paste into gaming notes for an adventure.
Bull
He may have been referring more speficially to the "not falling apart" things, which is a legitimate response, though the phenomina seems to be kinda hit and miss... I don't generally have too many prpoblems except for a couple core books that have seen a LOT of use and abuse, so I'm not surpised they went kaput, and they were all several years old by the time they started having issues...

Bull
Critias
It's always been those glossy pages (character archetypes and then random artwork) that spell disaster for my SR books. Everything seems to be going fine, and then all of a sudden shit starts just clean falling out when I open it.
Westiex
He may have been referring more speficially to the "not falling apart" things, which is a legitimate response, though the phenomina seems to be kinda hit and miss... I don't generally have too many prpoblems except for a couple core books that have seen a LOT of use and abuse, so I'm not surpised they went kaput, and they were all several years old by the time they started having issues...

My copy of SR3 BBB is falling apart and its less then a year old. Whole chunks (10 to 15 page sections) have already come out and I'm pretty sure its not just the way that the book is handled. Its getting to the point where I'm about to rip out all the pages and shove them into those plastic covers and thence into a binder of some sort.
Bull
It's a sporadic thing. SOme people have problems, some don't. Dunno...

Me, I always keep my "main" book spiral bound (replaced that twice now too). Kino's will do a plastic coil binding for like 4 or 5 bucks, makes it much easier to flip through, since you can open the book totally flat or fold the pages back without messing with the binding. Lamenating the covers helps keep it nice and secure too.

I've been wanting to do something like that for all my core books, never got around to do ing it with any but MITS. WIll definately be doing that with SR4. smile.gif

Bull
Kai
Neither of my SR3 mains have issues, but then again I am convinced contact covering the softcovers helps prevent spine damage. My Man & Machine just now had 2 pages fall out, and that was bought within a month of it coming out, so I can't complain :7

--//[改]>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012