Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun and Israel
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Papadoc
I am looking for any "official" or "un-offical" Shadowrun information on Israel. Is anyone one here from Israel? If so, do you have any "in-game" material that you have developed?
One of the specific questions I need awnsered;

How do the Israeli's view/treat "Meta-Humanity"?

Any and all information would be appriciated as I am trying to develop a new character and need this for background/history and plot lines associated with it.
Talia Invierno
This one's from the pov of a Dumpshocker who actually lives in Israel smile.gif
Omer Joel
QUOTE (Papadoc @ Apr 9 2005, 04:14 PM)
I am looking for any "official" or "un-offical" Shadowrun information on Israel.  Is anyone one here from Israel?  If so, do you have any "in-game" material that you have developed?
    One of the specific questions I need awnsered;

How do the Israeli's view/treat "Meta-Humanity"?

Any and all information would be appriciated as I am trying to develop a new character and need this for background/history and plot lines associated with it.

I'm from Israel; Skarn Ka is too, and perhaps one or two more members.

I don't have any really developed material, but aside from the thread mentioed by Talia Invierno, I've written an outline for a proposal to WizKids about an Israeli chapter in Shadows of Asia. I didn't get around to submit it due to RL issues, but as it wasn't submitted it isn't cannon and isn't subject to NDA, so you could take a look at it here.

Also, expect a possible short chapter about Israel in the upcomming Shadows of Asia.

Concerning your question, I think that since Metahumans and magic are generally reviled and rejected by Islam, Israel will see them as a tactical advantage, both from a military, an economical and a propaganda point of view. Moreover, the Middle East is still dominated by old feuds and ancient rivalries, rather than by the new ones; the Israeli government is going to treat a Jewish (or Druze/Beduwin) Troll far better than a Muslim Arab Human.
Papadoc
Thanks for the replies.

Question Omar, do you know or are you aware of what the requirements might be to be an Officer in the IDF? Commandos/Sayeret?

Also, are there many "Kibbutz(es)" located in the Negev (Southern) region of Israel? Maybe south of Dimona? (Could find nothing on any "public" accessible map).

(Note: If any of this is considered "sensitive/classified" please disregard, as I am not out to "compromise" Israel in any way, just looking for character background information for Shadowrun (a Roll Playing Game). cool.gif
Penta
<sigh> There's no way to do Israel that doesn't come off as...cheesy.

However, my thouights:

1. Look at Israel in the 1950s. That would probably apply. There's a lot of people, the country is rapidly building to absorb them all, and there's rationing. If there's corruption, ain't much, cuz there's not much to steal.

2. The Palestinians are doomed by VITAS, to put it bluntly. Anybody who's seen the sanitary conditions (or lack thereof) of Palestinian areas knows why. They aren't much of a problem, because they lost generations from VITAS. The rest rapidly assimilated into Jordan and Egypt. Gaza was especially badly hit, and is under quarantine still.

3. Israel could, with luck, actually do fairly well for itself in the 2050s-2060s. I could see the Temple Mount being a power site of *immense* power, for one thing.

4. Absent the use of Blood Magic, is there any way Magic could be used to help make the Negev bloom?
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Papadoc)
I am looking for any "official" or "un-offical" Shadowrun information on Israel.

Wiki Waki Woki. Israel's getting some cover in the upcoming Shadows of Asia release. smile.gif

QUOTE (Penta)
Absent the use of Blood Magic, is there any way Magic could be used to help make the Negev bloom?

Mix of regular if high level magic, gengineering and nanotech maybe?
Omer Joel
QUOTE (Papadoc)
Thanks for the replies.

Question Omar, do you know or are you aware of what the requirements might be to be an Officer in the IDF? Commandos/Sayeret?

Also, are there many "Kibbutz(es)" located in the Negev (Southern) region of Israel? Maybe south of Dimona? (Could find nothing on any "public" accessible map).

(Note: If any of this is considered "sensitive/classified" please disregard, as I am not out to "compromise" Israel in any way, just looking for character background information for Shadowrun (a Roll Playing Game). cool.gif

An officer in the IDF? not too many requirements, especially in non-combative units. You have to have passed the Bagrut tests (end-of-highschool graduation exams), you need a clean record (both before and in the military), general good performance as a soldier and the recommendation of your CO and two more officers (IIRC). Then you go to the Officer's Course and graduate from it.

Here's a site containing anything and everything you'd ever wanted to know about Israeli Special Forces.

There are currently many Kibbutzim in the Negev, though most got privatized lately (that is, became community villages; this is the end of collective ownership over the Kibbutz's factories, agricultural machinery and community establishments).
Papadoc
@Omar Joel Thank you very much for the information. This will help me tremendously. Please keep up the effort for a NetBook for Israel with possible expansion to cover the Middle East. I fear that FanPro in SoA will not be able to cover this very important region very well at all.
Omer Joel
Care to share your character with us? smile.gif
Papadoc
I will once I get him more fleshed out. biggrin.gif Still working on his back story.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012