Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Daddy's Girl
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Ecclesiastes
"Ok. Ok ok. Got it man. I'll get some guys together and have them at the place tonight, 8pm. Dinner's on you though... Heh, ok. OK, bye."

Leo Gettz disconnected the line and started running names through his head. Yeah... that'll do. One by one the runners get a phone call.

"I got somethin' for ya. Ok? Check it out man. I got a guy who needs someone found. May involve some rough neighborhoods tracking her down, so be ready for the heat. Meet the guy at Jack's for dinner, its downtown. He's buyin'. See? I hook you up man! Catch you later!"
Shadow
The phone clicked once letting him know the message was over.

“Jack’s eh?” Eclipse said to the fat tabby cat in his lap. The orange and white cat purred as the hardened runner absently scratched behind the animals ear. The cat was a new addition to his life, one that was quickly growing on him. He or she, he liked to respect the cat’s privacy, had shown up on his door a few weeks ago.

At first Eclipse had thought nothing of it, one of many stray cats in the are. But something about the cats lonely gaze made him bring it in and feed it. Since then the cat had taken over the place, even made himself useful by catching and eating the occasional mouse.

For that he had he named it “Mouser”.

“Okay buddy, time to get to work.” Eclipse carefully put the cat down on the couch. Mouser wasn’t exactly happy about losing the attention so he decided to tag along with his elf as he changed.

Eclipse shed his street clothes, a pair of slacks and a black t-shirt. The elf’s body was fit, but not insanely so of a body builder. He ran a few miles everyday and had a regime of pushup and sit ups that he did. His muscles were those of hard work and labor.

His weight was a lot more than he looked thanks to the Army’s bone lacing. The titanium implants added almost 50 kilo’s to his weight and increased his mass.

Once he had carefully removed all his civilian clothes he opened up his closet and inspected his working gear. He kept his armor and gear in vacuum sealed bags in his closet. His hope was that if only wore them on runs then there would be less chance of genetic material and astral signature stuff left behind. He didn’t understand a lot of how it worked, but he knew a few precautions to take.

A half hour later he was cruising in his white Saab north on I-5. The GPS in his head mapped the exact route he needed to take to get to Jack’s. Fifteen minutes before go time he was sitting across the street checking the place out. He brushed his hand over his two Colt’s the Smartlink flared up briefly to tell him that the firearms were loaded and the safety was off.

“Alright John, we who are about to die…”

He lets the cheery sentence usher him into the diner. His eyes ever alert as he walks into the place.
Fortune
Heather McLaine's lip curls slightly in distaste as she replays Leo's short message, crushing out her cigarette at the end. The fast talking fixer was definitely not her preferred source for work, but in the shadows, sometimes a person can't be overly picky about this type of thing.

After a quick shower, she takes her time brushing out her medium length blonde hair before tying it back into a pony tail, then wraps a green and black bandanna around her head. From the large walk-in closet of her converted warehouse apartment she pulls her work clothes. The skin-tight body armor is covered by a pair of black leather pants and lavender t-shirt emblazoned with the Shield Wall logo.

Tugging on her boots and shrugging herself into her a double shoulder holster, the elf then retrieves a pair of heavy pistols from where they lie on the work bench and gives them the once over before slipping them into their resting places. An assortment of other small items and ammunition then disappear into a purse-like satchel and the pockets of the dark green long coat she pulls on over top.

The full length mirror reflects her smile as she admires her transformation into Flare.

The streets of Tarislar are unusually quiet as she turns the Harley in the direction of downtown Seattle, having stowed her bag in the compartment under the seat. The big Scorpion's growl always sounds like music to her ears, and she hums along as she heads towards the meeting at Jack's.
Glyph
Spider listens to Leo's spiel. Not his regular fixer, but the man does seem to know how to get to the point quickly. An underrated quality, that. The bald, wiry man leans back in his chair, stroking his thin goatee. So they need someone to play detective... good, good. He glances up from his telecom, and the chess problem that he was working on, to take in his surroundings. They are quite a step down from what he is used to. However... the dingy apartment is cramped, but a fresh coat of paint covers the walls, and the place is clean, if somewhat spartan.

He really needs some work, not only to improve his pitiful finances, but also to get a reputation in this new town, get people in the know to start putting his name out. Maybe this guy knowing how to get ahold of him is a good sign. Certainly wouldn't hurt to check the offer out. At least the job seems like one that will engage his interest, something challenging.

He freshens up before heading out, dressing in slightly conservative corporate-style attire and practicing his thin, sardonic smile in the mirror a few times. His armored vest offers discrete protection from any stray bullets, but he needs no weapon. His mastery of mentalism offers far better protection, although truth be told, he considers his intellect to be an even more powerful weapon than his psychic abilities.
Raiko
Cipher, laid his tools neatly beside the small drone he'd been working on, the boyz had enough already to handle the Humanis scum, and he had another week to prepare this backup.

Besides he thought looking around the small industrial unit that served as both a workshop and a home, the rent's due soon, and my credstick's almost empty.

Leo had been good to him, helping him to make a name for himself in the shadows since Newsnet fired him. He hadn't let Cipher down so far, so there didn't seem to be any reason not to turn up for the meet.

Cipher ran his hand thoughtfully through his close cropped blond-streaked hair, then picked up his Browning from atop the workbench. He put the pistol into the holster on his left hip as he walked up the metal stairs to his bedsit looking for the rest of his working gear. After a couple of minutes stuffing various electronic devices into a kit bag and the pockets of his longcoat, he re-emerged into the workshop and walked briskly to his Leyland-Rover minivan, the green overcoat now covering his black Crimetime T-shirt.

The ork techie settled his bulky body into the driver's seat and briefly opened the passenger door to allow Felix to jump in. Cipher loved cats, but the real ones brought him out in a painful rash. Who cares, he thought, Felix looks real, and you can't rig a real cat.

Moments later workshop's roller door opened, and the electric van rolled silently into the Everett docklands.
Ecclesiastes
Jack's is setup like a dinner from over a hundred years ago. Girls with trays rolls around the place on roller skates, delivering meals made from what smells like real food. The air was filled with trendy tunes and they even sported a kariokee machine in the back. As you walk up to the place, you are greeted by a friendly hostess who asks that you follow her. She leads you to the far back corner, where a Japanese man in his mid forties is seated. His hair his greasy and thinning on top with a bad comb-over. He adjusts his goggle think glasses as you approach and motions for you to join him.

"Umm... Hi! I'm... Mr. Johnson." He nods as if he thinks its great how he knows what lingo to use. He extends his hand and those that shake it get the discomfort of cold clammy hands and a loose grip.
Shadow
Eclipse smiles genuinely at the man. The honesty of his appearance a refreshing change from the sleek, 5k suits that he is used to dealing with.

"Konichiwa Johnson-san," Eclipse says in somewhat broken Japanese. Having been stationed in the Philippines for two years had given him an opportunity to learn Japanese, he took it.

"My name is Eclipse," he introduced himself and shook the mans hand firmly.
Fortune
Flare nods politely to the client, shaking his hand as he introduces himself, then surreptitiously wipes her hand down the leg of her pants as she replies.

"I'm Flare."

She then turns her attention to the elf that had arrived just before her, giving him a brief once over as she tries to appraise his capabilities. Nodding once again as if satisfied, Flare turns her attention back to Mr. Johnson.
Raiko
Cipher nods to the two elves, then shakes Mr Johnson's clammy hand, "My name is Cipher, how can I help you?"

Ecclesiastes
As each of you takes a seat, you scan the room with a critical eye, one trained to look for things that an average person just wouldn't notice. Then it hits you. That big guy a few tables down keeps flicking his eyes your way, but is trying to make it look like he is simply having dinner by himself. So... you think to yourself, he brought some protection along with him.
Ecclesiastes
The Johnson places a photo on the table. It is of a cute young elf of asian decent. She looks to be about 16 years old, with either dark blue or black hair and bright green eyes. The photo looks like it is from a family day at the park, another older human japanese woman is half in the picture, perhaps the mother. The girls clothing is comfortable, but trying to fit in as well. Her is smiling, but you get a hint that it isn't genuine.

He pushes the photo over to the group of you and sighs, "This is my daughter. She has been kidnapped and I want her back."

He pauses to catch your reactions.
Shadow
Eclipse filed away the mans height and weight to that place in his brain where all the data went. He absently pulled out a power bar and began eating.

Eclipse pauses his chewing for a second. Elven births to breeders was rare but it did happen, something like half a percentile. The girl didn't look happy in the photo, which could be accounted to the cultural hatred of elves the Japanese have for elves, or it could just be cause she's sixteen.

"When was she taken? By who? Where did it happen? And forgive me for asking, but why do you think she was kidnapped?"
Fortune
After the photo had been passed around the table, Flare takes it and examines it in detail. Sitting back, she is content to let the other elf ask the questions that would naturally arise in such a situation.
Ecclesiastes
"Because my daughter wouldn't run out on her family!"

He takes a breath. "I'm sorry. I'm just... look. Her mother and I are worried sick. There is only one thing that we're sure of and that is that lately, she's been sneaking out. Going to some club. I had someone look into it for me and the place can be kinda rough and I just worry that... just find her, ok? I don't know what else to tell you."
Fortune
Flare's eyebrows raise slightly at the mention of a club. She slips the photo into her pocket as she leans forward to pose a question to the girl's father.

"What's the name of this club then?"
Ecclesiastes
"Neoworld. Its some rave club here in Downtown. Here, I put this together for you."

He tosses a chip your way.
Fortune
The cybered elf eyes the others sitting around the table, apparently waiting to see if one of them has any more questions. When nobody speaks up, Flare once again turns her gaze to the Johnson and looks at him expectantly.

"So, now we've come to the place where we discuss payment."
Shadow
Eclipses PPC appears in his hand and he slots the chip, downloading the contents as quickly as possible before sliding it over to Flare. He gives her a brief smile before dropping the chip in front of her.

When she asks the question of payment he sits back. If it were up to him he would probably take the job for free. Which is good that it isn't up to him.
Glyph
Spider has been pretty quiet. He introduced himself to the others politely enough, but has mostly seemed to be contemplative, letting the others take the lead for now. At the Johnson's outburst, that his daughter wouldn't run away, a very faint smile flicks at his face, one that might be equal parts cynicism and pity, but otherwise he has kept a poker face.

He has been observing with more than mere fleshly eyes, however. He has been quietly assensing the Johnson, and the others, to get a handle on the situation.

As the question of payment comes up, he seems to take more notice. His eyes are on the Johnson and Flare, as he readies himself to contribute to the negotiations, if necessary.
Ecclesiastes
"I have give you each one thousand nuyen. Is this acceptable?"
Fortune
The expression on Flare's face at the Johnson's offer is almost comical to behold. Her eyes open wide and her jaw actually drops before she can clamp it shut.

"You've gotta be drekkin' me! You ain't hirin' us to shine your shoes."

She looks around the table at the others gathered there, to gauge their reactions to what she considers a ridiculously low offer.
Ecclesiastes
Spider raises his finger, "If I may.., Sir, you obviously aren't used to deals of this nature. You will need to come up with at least five thousand or each of our services."

The Johnson's eyes take their turn to bulge. "You! I! Ugh... Fine. Five thousand each. Just get out there and bring her home."
Shadow
Eclispse lets an an inaudible sigh. His body language shifts slightly.

His daughter is missing, he obviously has money, and he is only offering 1k?
Fortune
"One last thing ..."

Flare pockets the datachip as she rises from the table.

"Do you know the names of any of the people your daughter might associate with?"
Ecclesiastes
He shakes his head. "I'm sure she has some friends at school, but I've never met any of them. Work keeps me very busy."
Raiko
Cipher tries to mask his surprise at the human's apparent lack of knowledge about his own daughter and asks, "Which school does your daughter attend ?"
Ecclesiastes
He shifts in his seat, obviously getting uncomfortable about talking about family matters. "Renraku High #145. We used to live in the Arc, but were lucky enough to be out of town when... things happened there."
Shadow
"Well I don't think we can promise will find her, but we can certainly try. We will give you a call once we know more."

Eclipse motions for the other runners to get out of the booth so that they can leave.
Ecclesiastes
He nods solumly and stands as you get up. "You have my thanks, I'll be waiting for your call."
Shadow
Eclipse keeps an eye on the body guard as the man walks out.

"I got a car parked outside if anyone needs a lift to the club. We should hit that first and ask around, show the picture. My names Eclipse by the way, it's nice to meat you all."
Fortune
The elf looks around at her new companions and gives a brief nod of greeting.

"You can call me Flare, as I said before."

After the introductions are complete, she continues.

"This Neoworld joint is pretty mild for a rave cave. Lots of beetles and other feel-goods, but no heavies in the way of security, 'cept maybe the troll on the door. There's usually a few gang-bangers around, but they're normally chill though. I agree with Eclipse here that it sounds like the place to start."
Shadow
"Great," Eclipse smiles, his are a bit somber, but they do reach his eyes. "My car is this away..."

Once outside he takes a deep breath. "Does everyone have their own ride?" As he speaks he pulls out the remote for his car and hits the ignition, a white Sabb Dynamit parked across the street growls to life.
Fortune
Flare eyes the flashy white car, and a hint of a smile crosses her features.

"Nice ride, but I brought my own. I might take you up on that offer later though."

With a wink, the elf heads off towards her bike, remotely deactivating its anti-theft device on the way. Swinging a leg over the big chopper, she looks back at the others.

"I'll see you there."
Shadow
Instantly liking the girl, Eclipse jogged across the street.

"Ok, see you there." Despite the sportscars high performance engine, and its well tuned gears, Eclipse drove it sedately into traffic. He used the autonav to take the quickest course, but he preferred to drive himself. The feel of his gloved hands on the wheel always felt right. He could not fathom how riggers could give that up.
Glyph
Spider blinks as the two elves rapidly speed off to towards the club, then he shrugs and heads towards the subway. Guess the offer of a ride was mainly aimed at the woman - he can certainly understand that. The group seems... energetic... enough, but he wanted to sit down with them, and come up with some sort of plan, first. Ah well, they can look for clues at the club, then figure out what to do next.

He looks down at himself, frowning. His wardrobe was chosen for a meet, not a rave club. But with the pink sunglasses and circuitry-patterned tie, he should be able to pass for a slumming suit. Yes. He nods, smiling faintly to himself for a minute, then grimaces. Ravers, oh joy. He's going to spend the next few hours or so having to listen to a bunch of spacey twits, half of them probably hopped up on something.

At least the pay is good. Probably should have asked for a retainer, but it doesn't matter. The Johnson gave away enough information that if he does try a double-cross, he could destroy his life a hundred different ways. Wish he knew what the man was hiding, though. They definitely didn't get the full story from him.
Raiko
On the way out of the diner Cipher borrowa the datachip from Flare, downloads the data into his pocket secretary, and hands it back.

"If nothing turns up at the club, I'll run her SIN through some databases, see if we can track her that way."

As the two elves head off Cipher turns to Spider, "I've plenty of room in my van if you've got no wheels."

Ecclesiastes
Neoworld is tucked into a backalley. It isn't clear if they do this to look cool, or because it was the only spot they could find to build the place. The line to get in leads nearly all the way out to the mouth of the alleyway and even from back there you can hear the loud electronica pouring out of the place. Lazer beams and a small ammount of fog drift from the enterance. True to Flare's word, there is a troll at the front door. He is wearing bright red cargo pants with a pair of green stomping boots, no shirt, but a green long coat that is open to show off his nipple rings.

Cover charge is 50:nuyen:. Big Horny gives you a quick pat down at the door and just inside is a desk to check your gear. The club is mostly dance floor, with the other quarter of the place split between the bar and a place for people to pass out and partake of various vices.
Glyph
Spider gratefully accepts Cipher's offer, slipping into the van's passenger side. "Much appreciated. Now, as we're headed to this club, how about we brief each other on our specialties? It would be nice to know this flung-together team's general capabilities. Me, I'm a mentalist. I already have a knack for talking to people, dealing with them, but I can also read people's auras to guage things like their emotional state. For instance, our erstwhile employer was a lot more worried about himself than his 'daughter', and he was definitely hiding something."

He looks thoughtful for a moment before continuing. "Now, I generally prefer as light a touch as possible. I can probe more deeply with my powers, but I don't do that without a very good reason. Digging into someone's thoughts is something that usually leaves me and the other person feeling... a bit unclean."

When they get to the club, Spider grimaces in distaste, but has an oily smile on his face by the time they get to the door. He mingles with the partying crowd, playing the part of a sleazy, slumming suit with a fetish for young-looking female asian elves. Mingling with partyers and panderers, he subtly pumps his marks for information, using his astral perception to note the ones who act like they might know something before changing the subject to something more innocuous.
Fortune
Parking the Scorpion in a convenient spot nearby, Flare makes sure that it's anti-theft system is activated before heading for the club's entrance. Ignoring the long line, the elf heads straight up to Big Horny, flashing him a wide smile.

"Toby, over at the Inferno sez that you're the man here. Sez when I come here, I should only talk ta you."
Shadow
Eclipse parked the sleek sportscar under the only working street light he could see. The anti theft system in the car chirped after he closed the door.

I hope it's good enough.

He arrived just intime to see Flare walk up to the troll. He decided it would be best if he waited for the rest of the team. He took up a place in line and let the normal flow carry him forward.
Ecclesiastes
"Does he now? Well you tell that fragger to call my sister back when you see him next, kay? I'm guessin' ya think you can skip past the line."

He grins and motions for Flare to put her arms out. She may get in, but she's not just stepping through untouched. After a quick pat down, he nods and lets you through no charge.

"Play nice."
Fortune
Flare smiles widely and flashes the big troll a wink.

"You got it!"

She waits while Big Horny gives her a brief pat down. "Play Nice."

"Thanks omae. And I always do."

Flare starts through the door, but pauses as if she just remembered something, and turns back to the bouncer, pulling the picture of the young elf out of her pocket.

"You wouldn't happen t' remember seein' this chica 'round here recently, would you? Heard she's been doin' a bit of clubbin' lately, and figure while I'm here 'n' all, might as well check with you."
Ecclesiastes
Big Horny frowns at the picture and gives Flare a long look. You get the feeling he recognises the girl, but isn't about it give it up yet.

"Whacha want with her?"
Raiko
Cipher jacks lets the van's auto-nav handle the journey to the club, avoiding the need to communicate via the intercom.

"I specialize in electronic surveillance, with a bit of B&E on the side. I've got plenty of toys to help out, and a few surveillance drones. I'm pretty good with database searches as well, though I ain't no decker."

His van arrives at Neoworld shortly after Eclipse, and Cipher can see the Elf ahead as they queue. Once he gets into the club Cipher gets himself a bottle of beer, and then looks around for a good vantage point to observe the dance floor from.
Fortune
"Nothin' sour, omae. Buzz is that she might be in some kinda trouble. Playin' with the wrong crowd type thing, either willin' or not. Don't get me wrong though, I ain't no Tin Star. Jus' lookin' t' make sure everything's frosty with the chica."
Ecclesiastes
He continues to look at you, trying to figure out if you can be trusted or not. Finally, he grunts and says, "Yeah alright. Her name is Anji, she's Johnny's girl, one of the DJs here. Freakz is up at the booth tonight, he'd know more."
Fortune
"Thanks omae. An' don't be sweatin' 'bout me. I ain't lookin' for no trouble."

Flare flashes the big troll one last smile and then turns and enters the club. Once she was out of sight of the bouncer, the elf breathes a heavy sigh of relief. She was painfully aware that dealing with people definitely weren't her strong suit, and had always meant to do somthing about that, but other things always had a way of interfering.

The pumping electronica is much louder inside, and although it wasn't her favorite type of music, she soon finds herself unconsciously tapping her hand against her leg in time with the driving synth-bass line. Deciding that the long bar set against the far wall looks like the best place to wait for the others, Flare makes her way around the grinding and sweating bodies in that direction.
Glyph
Spider's eyes narrow thoughtfully as he observes Flare's muted conversation with the bouncer. "Hmmm... they seem to know each other," he thinks. "I'd better check with her before I get too far into my 'role' - she might have already turned up a lead."

He is in slumming suit mode as he enters the club, but he is watching for Flare, and when he sees her leaning by the long bar against the far wall, he circuitously wanders over there. He tracks the others as well, and waits until they are also present before smiling at Flare and raising an inquisitive eyebrow.

"Did your friend know anything useful?" he asks.
Fortune
Flare takes another sip of the frothy blue drink she is nursing before responding.

"I wouldn't necessarily call him a friend, but he did cough up some good intel. Our little chica's name is Anji, or at least that's what she's called here. Seems she's the squeeze of one of the DJs here. Goes by the name Johnny. The slag in the DJ booth tonight is Freakz, and he's supposed to have more info on the whole situation."
Shadow
Eclipse’s turn in line comes up and the troll gives him the once over. It is obvious that Eclipse doesn’t belong there. From the cant of his walk to the steel in his eyes, everything about him screamed dangerous.

The troll was smart enough to recognize the difference between him and the other joy boys and razor girls that frequented the place. He was the real deal. Eclipse nodded to the troll, a sort of unspoken word that if there were trouble, he would not be the one to start it.

After a brief pat down, and the exchange of fifty nuyen to the troll, Eclipse moved into the club. The laser strobes and flashing lights obscured his vision somewhat, and forced his cyber eyes to work overtime to compensate for the sudden glares and darkness.

He hated clubs, In a former life he would have avoided this place like the plague. To many shadows, to many ambush spots, to many people. Within a few seconds of being in he spotted an enormous amount of illegal activity, drug deals, brain zombied girls, and an exchange of firearms.

Oh yeah, this is gonna be a walk in the park. He spotted Flare ,Spider , and Cipher over by the bar.
“Hey, any luck yet?”

Flare filled him in on the skinny.

“Freakz and Johnny huh, great. Okay I’ll flash the girls pic around and see if I can get anyone else to spill, you guys talk to Freakz,” the disdain in Eclipses voice is obvious when he uses the pseudonym, “and see what you can get out of him.”

He reaches out for the photo from Flare. “If you guys need help, I’m on..”

He pauses for a second as he puts the photo away and pulls out the finger sized radio with the ultra thin cable plugged into the top, “357.4.”

He plugs the thin cable into the concealed datajack behind his ear, and drops the radio back down into his pocket. With a smile has moves back out into the crowd. He heads for the standard booths, and tables, flashing the picture and asking about Anji.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012