Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: street names for a merc unit
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cynic project
I am writing a story that will have a platoon of mercs in it. They are going to be used in other stories based on how well I write this story so most of them need names. It is company sized, but right now I am really only worried about one platoon.

So far, I have

Mylow
Lofive
Post Modern sleaze
City
Dreamer
Snow Spirit
Pain Doc
Blue
Halo
Trick(I am trying to find cool words that mean those)
treat
Gipsy Girl
Xone Control
Shark
chef
Zerochild
Expax
Gioia
Tiga
Quake
Deviled one
Wildchild
Dances in light
toturi
You know... Not everyone of them needs a fancy name. Names like Mac, Jack, Tommy-boy still have use, you know?
Crimson Jack
Names like Kyle, Rupert, and Fenton would also be cool.
mmu1
Make sure you don't end up trying too hard.

Like people said, not everyone is going to have a really weird name, some might not have a street name at all, other might have a fake name, but a "normal" one... Others might be the kind of people that always go by their last name (real or fake), and never use the first name, or somone who just goes by his initials, like "J.D.", or something. Or you might have one guy who's just "Sargent".
Fortune
I agree. Especially in military-style outfits (outside of pilots biggrin.gif), it's more common just to use surnames and/or rank, and save given names, nicknames and shortforms for informal use.
Kanada Ten
Thor
Odin
Tyrant
Rex
Fingers
Twister
Blackie
Killer
Lass
Kid
Big Bear, Little Bear
Cyndane
kackling kactuar
Pink Princess
Huggle Bunny
Sweetcakes
Candy
Pretty Girl
Seductress
Cutie Pie
Britney Spears
Smiley
Grumpy
Sleepy
Dopey
Bashful
Sneezy
Happy
Doc

Hell, last night I got saddled with Susan.
(Never again will I quote Bullet-tooth Tony.)
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Smiley)
Grumpy
Sleepy
Dopey
Bashful
Sneezy
Happy
Doc

Hell, last night I got saddled with Susan.
(Never again will I quote Bullet-tooth Tony.)

I think I saw this same list on my "name the shadowrunners" thread a while back. wink.gif
FrostyNSO
Don't forget "Sarge". Also a lot of guys get names because of something they've done at some point too (alot of times something stupid smile.gif )
Arethusa
Sue.

"What's that guy's name, again? Sue?"
"Sue. Yeah, his dad was a big Johnny Cash fan, from what I understand."
"Oh, right, right, right, with the song."
"Yeah, boy named Sue, right. So I figured that's why he's such a mean cat."
"That guy?"
"Oh, he's a bad guy. He don't look it. He's, no, he's mean, man. I see him in a fight once, he just got a guy, was just fucking smacking his fucking head into the curb, like his mouth, just fucking smash, his teeth came out, just fucking like whack whack whack, just fucking blood came out of his fucking mouth. It was nasty, man. Nice guy, though. That guy's cool."
lorthazar
Boomer (male)
Boom-Boom (female and blonde)
CrackerJack
SteelToe
Tosser
Tank
Fly-Boy
Rookie
Knight
Father (as in priestly)
Pops
Sugar-baby
Sugar-Daddy
Hercules
Kong
'Zilla
Gunga Din
Bishop
Angel
Brute
Kagetenshi
John Le Mesurier
Conrad
Padre
Wildcat
Jaeger
Bastille
Lemmy
Bob
Reggie
Bo
Blondie
Angel-Eyes
Tuco
McCall
MacDougal
Standwell
Red

~J
torzzzzz
BOB you have to have a BOB!

torz x wink.gif
Backgammon
In the EXCELLENT book Generation Kill by war journalist Evan Wright, he says all of the marines had nicknames. But often they would simply use their last name, or in special circumstances their first names. I mean, on the base it's one thing to be talking about "The Iceman", but when in the field they didn't refer to him as "The Iceman", just his last name.
Grinder
Jeff & Jiff, the twins biggrin.gif

all those cool sounding names like shadow, ice, nitro, dynamite, killer, hunter biggrin.gif

and not to forget: Medic! (just recently watched band of brothers. the guy whos name was called most often was the sani/medic, for obvious reasons )
wagnern
You know, in those old war movies, there alwies seem to be charictors nick named after where they are from.
Elfie
QUOTE (wagnern)
You know, in those old war movies, there alwies seem to be charictors nick named after where they are from.

Like a smart-mouthed kid named Brooklyn? grinbig.gif

Another vote for 'the less fantastical, the better'. Names like L.T., Sarge, Cap'n, Rock, Brooklyn, etc.
Lantzer
Agreed.

A few more I remember from my own past: (Insert last name here), Big Ed, Little Ed, Dipswitch, C.R. (stood for Cradle Robber), Babe (for a really big guy).
Backgammon
Oh yeah, soldiers never get tired of calling people LT, Sarge and Doc.
KarmaInferno
Mr. Perkins.

The 8' troll with body 10 named "Tiny"...
The diminutive elf named "Tank."
"Doc," the field medic.
"Mouth," the guy who never shuts up.
"D.O.M." Dirty Old Man
"Top", the NCOIC, usually the 1SG

Other common name usages...
"Chief," there's always someone being called Chief, or one guy who calls everyone Chief. This guy usually has a dip in, and has been around for ever. Maybe not too bright, but a very "helpful" person.
"Boss" See Chief
"P.G." the Platoon Guide
"Smoke," usually the Platoon Sergeant, especially if there's ever been field artillery involved with the CO, XS, or Platoon Sergeant's careers.

A lot of units use call signs for tactical radio speak...some units refer to each other by call sign, even in person...tactical call signs are normally alpha numeric in nature ie, one-one-delta, two-three-charlie etc.

I hope this has been some help...
Smiley
These are actually people I know:

Dee-Bo
"Filthy" Sanchez
Bo
Monkey
Freaky Dutch Bastard, a.k.a. FDB
Farva (from Super Troopers)
Hedgehog
Armadillo
Jew (he's not really Jewish)
Cootch

I'll probably think of more later.
Catsnightmare
Now that I think about it, even in civilian jobs people will give you nicknames.
My short list of RL nicknames given to me includes,
Meltdown <- given to me in high school
Biggie <- from current job
John, sometimes Big John (either way not even close to my real name) <- from first job
Sleepy <- from firefighter training school
Apathy
"Chief," there's always someone being called Chief, or one guy who calls everyone Chief. This guy usually has a dip in, and has been around for ever. Maybe not too bright, but a very "helpful" person.

In the Army, chief is the generic title usually reserved for warrant officers, just like sergeant is the generic title reserved for all NCOs above corporal.

If we really wanted to be realistic, I don't think most of the people in the out fit would use psuedonyms. I mean, when I was in the service nobody ever told me "Hey there! My names Bob, but all my friends call me 'Nightstalker'." Any nicknames not derived straight from the their real names [Sgt Jellico --> 'Jelly'] that did stick were pretty derrogatory, and weren't used when people outside the group were around. (Who wants to explain to their relatives why their friends call them 'Skid-mark'?)

YMMV
Cynic project
QUOTE (toturi)
You know... Not everyone of them needs a fancy name. Names like Mac, Jack, Tommy-boy still have use, you know?

Good point, I should go into more depth. The company is part of a bigger "merc" unit based in CFS, they were given the most indapent types for a few reasons. Mainly because for the most part this company was meant to do small time jobs. They were sent away to make money, so the men back in Cali could have founding to fight the good fight. This happened in when the PCC and Saito went crazy. After all, not much money in being a freedom fighter, eh?

On top of that, a name in this company is part of a passage of rights. You get your name after you are no longer green. Some people make their names, others are given one.

Wile the ones I used are fancy, at least a lot of them are.

I wouldn't say City,Blue,Tiga, Gypsy Girl, Dreamer, Shark, or Chef (I mean he can make MREs to taste good) are fancy names.
Syd
I like the names from Full Metal Jacket:
Joker
Animal Mother
Gomer Pyle
Eightball
Rafterman
Cowboy
Touchdown
Crazy Earl
Payback
Doc Jay
Poge Colonel
Hand Job
Snowball
Grinder
Who was called Hand Job? eek.gif
The Grifter
My nickname in the Corps was Road Dog, a play off my last name (Roederer). Another one I earned was Car Wreck, but that's a looooong story.
The Grifter
Rafterman

This one was Rapture Man.

Hand Job

This one wasn't even in the movie.

Poge Colonel

This one wasn't either. No Colonel is going to call himself a POG, and if you know what a POG is, you sure wouldn't call a Colonel that yourself.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (The Grifter)
This one was Rapture Man.

It's "Rafterman" in the credits of the movie. Likewise in the credits there appears a Poge Colonel (played by Bruce Boa) and Hand Job (Marcus D'Amico). Whether those are just names given to the characters in the script or whether they're supposed to be nicknames of the characters, I couldn't say.
DragginSPADE
As far as common military nicknames go, don't forget Red.
Gem the Troll
Concerning "Chief" I've been in for a while, and we had this E-6 (SSG) living in our building, and he would call everyone "Chief." I think it's because he couldn't remember people's names. He was field artillery, and he said a lot of wierd things.
The Grifter
It's "Rafterman" in the credits of the movie

I stand corrected.

As for the others, those may be character names, but not actual names in the movie. Kinda like a movie's credits might have "Cop 1", or "Punk Kid."
Smiley
QUOTE (The Grifter)
Hand Job

This one wasn't even in the movie.

Yes it was. He got killed shortly before he was going to be sent home. He got his ticket out beause he was masturbating 10+ times a day. It's the scene right before 8ball gets sniped and everything goes to hell.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (DragginSPADE)

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Red

wink.gif

~J
Arethusa
All of your suggestions suck.

Yeah, want to start something? You want to go? Yeah, I have issues with my dad.
The Grifter
Ummm, I've seen this movie ovr 50 times and still have no idea what you are talking bout. Is it a deleted scene or something?
Cynic project
Look I don't really care how much you like that movie. I would like for you people to stop talking about on this thread, kay?

I happened to dislike it,and I would really hope people would forget about it.
DragginSPADE
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (DragginSPADE @ Apr 13 2005, 09:31 AM)

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Red

wink.gif

~J

Oops. I stand corrected. smile.gif

That's what I get for trying to catch up on all the new posts during my lunch break.
The Grifter
Cynic project:

Look I don't really care how much you like that movie. I would like for you people to stop talking about on this thread, kay?

Who cares what you like? You wanna act like a jackass and think we're gonna respect you or what you like/dislike? Welcome to America and freedom of speech. If we wanna talk about Full Metal Jacket we will. If you don't want to read it, don't. Turn your computer off and go outside, maybe you'll grow up some.
Arethusa
Yeah, stop being such a communist. Fucking terrorist. I bet you want to take my tv and redistribute it to the poor or something.
Smiley
Where's that punch-in-the-face computer program when you need it?
Arethusa
I believe what you are searching for is the fabled Internet Face Stabbing Device of olde. Many have searched. None have returned from their journeys.
Smiley
Then I propose another. Who among ye is bold enough to join me on this perilous endeavor? For if we should succeed, our names shall known far and wide until the day that time ends! What say ye, men?
The Grifter
I'm with you!
Cynic project
QUOTE (The Grifter)
Cynic project:

Who cares what you like? You wanna act like a jackass and think we're gonna respect you or what you like/dislike? Welcome to America and freedom of speech. If we wanna talk about Full Metal Jacket we will. If you don't want to read it, don't. Turn your computer off and go outside, maybe you'll grow up some.

Welcome to hypocrisy. You can't defend your right to say whatever you want to, by telling someone else to shut up.
Kagetenshi
Yes, you can. What you can't do is make that person shut up.

~J
The Grifter
Welcome to hypocrisy. You can't defend your right to say whatever you want to, by telling someone else to shut up.

Look, if you even bothered to read my post, not once did I tell you to shut up.

Welcome to idiocy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012