Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emailed this in hopes of seeing it in the SR4 FAQ
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RunnerPaul
I just sent this off to the info@shadowrunrpg.com address (with a cc to Adam's webmaster account over there) as a suggestion for a question in the next installment of the FAQ:

With what information has been put out in the month since the announcement, some longtime Shadowrun fans have experienced ever-increasing Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt about the rules changes as they've been described so far. For this segment of the fanbase, each installment of the FAQ has brought deeper concern and in some cases even confusion. Perhaps if you could share some insights on what the design team's base principles for both the new mechanics and the setting and how the two should mesh and compliment each other, some of these concerns could be eliminated? Some short statements on your overall vision for Shadowrun and what general guidelines you apply when you make all these rules changes to ensure that the change supports that overall vision, perhaps?

A bit long and wordy, but it'll be interesting to see the answer even if they edit the question down to size.
Backgammon
I seriously doubt that's gonna eliminate any concerns.
Solstice
Based on their FAQ so far, I think you may be asking for far too much. I applaud your effort though and I agree with your point of view.
mfb
it will, at least, give those concerns solid ground on which to stand. the problem is that the FAQ basically says "everything you know is wrong!", and the guys playtesting the game are saying "no, guys, seriously--it's still SR!" a more in-depth treatment of what the devs are thinking, with SR4, would help everybody figure out where exactly that dichotomy is coming from.

i mean, i think Rob has great ideas, in general. i've liked the directions he's taken SR3. but the FAQs aren't very descriptive of what Rob's idea's (and the ideas of the guys/gals he's got writing for him) are. i mean, everybody's got their own ideas about where SR4 is going, at this point, and nobody (or, well, nobody who's allowed to speak on the matter) knows exactly what the overall direction is--we're gleaning as many clues as possible from the FAQs, but there are a multitude of conclusions you can reach from those.

we asked "what's not changing", and he told us in the very next FAQ, which is awesome. hopefully, an upcoming FAQ will center around one question: "Rob, what are you thinking?"
Solstice
QUOTE (mfb)

we asked "what's not changing", and he told us in the very next FAQ, which is awesome.

Did you read his answers? That was the worst FAQ in the history of FAQs. It was pretty much a joke in terms of information. "We still print the books on paper so don't worry." YAY?! ohplease.gif
mfb
i covered this in another thread. if you pay a minimal amount of attention, the answer he gave is perfectly clear: the setting is not subject to change; the rules--all of them, or nearly all--are. i don't see why that's a bad answer, though i understand why people might not like that answer.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Solstice)
Based on their FAQ so far, I think you may be asking for far too much. I applaud your effort though and I agree with your point of view.

I'm hoping that it's more of a wakeup call for them, than anything else.
RunnerPaul
Got back a reply:

Hey Paul--

We already had this in mind wink.gif

:: Rob Boyle ::
Shadowrun Developer for FanPro LLC
info@shadowrunrpg.com ~ www.shadowrunrpg.com

Grinder
Rob is one of the good guys. smile.gif
DexRiley
Have the changes from past editions to SR3 been as drastic as the ones were seeing for SR4?
hahnsoo
If they already "had this in mind", then why aren't they posting anything but the terse FAQ answers? To build up the hype? Because it takes too long? It's not important enough to try (although the above reply is contradictory to this statement)? It doesn't take more than 30 minutes to write up a brief description of a specific design concept and the ideas surrounding it. At the outside, I'm guessing 3 hours, tops, and that's if you send it to all your fellow developers for clarifications, spelling, etc. It sounds more like he's telling you what you want to hear. Until we see the first "SR4 Design Diary", I think we will still be waiting for a satisfactory answer.

I'm not saying Rob isn't a good guy. I'm just asking "Where's the beef?"
Pthgar
QUOTE (DexRiley)
Have the changes from past editions to SR3 been as drastic as the ones were seeing for SR4?

The changes from edition to edition were not as drastic, but in my opinion the changes over all the editions equal the change.

In other words:
Delta 1st ed. + 2nd ed. + 3rd ed. = Delta 4th ed.

Again, in my opinion.
Pthgar
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
If they already "had this in mind", then why aren't they posting anything but the terse FAQ answers?

Maybe they don't know what we want for the next FAQ until we complain about the last one. After a few days of reading our posts they "have that in mind" for the next FAQ. I take this as a sign that they are trying to be responsive to our concerns and are posting as much as possible. If they miss the mark on what we want sometimes, well we're a pretty fractured lot and don't all want the same thing. Every FAQ is an attempt to come closer to the mark. Anyway it is impossible to create a FAQ that won't produce the result of instant consternation on these boards, just as it is impossible to produce a SR product that is universally loved.
Solstice
Another vauge yet terse answer....very encouraging. nyahnyah.gif biggrin.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (Pthgar)
Maybe they don't know what we want for the next FAQ until we complain about the last one. After a few days of reading our posts they "have that in mind" for the next FAQ. I take this as a sign that they are trying to be responsive to our concerns and are posting as much as possible. If they miss the mark on what we want sometimes, well we're a pretty fractured lot and don't all want the same thing. Every FAQ is an attempt to come closer to the mark. Anyway it is impossible to create a FAQ that won't produce the result of instant consternation on these boards, just as it is impossible to produce a SR product that is universally loved.

I meant the same, just wrote it shorter wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012