Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tibet
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
cykotek
Can anyone either throw some information about Tibet in Shadowrun my way? Or point me to where I can read it myself? I know that the borders have been closed, except for Aneki's passage with the Seal of the Green Gloves. Beyond that, though, I've got nothing. I'm looking for things like when was it closed, how was it closed. Any hints as to why? Any help is appreciated in advance.
Ecclesiastes
I'm sure that the upcoming Shadows of Asia will fill in a lot of those gaps.
cykotek
Yeah, but I'm an impatient bastard. If the book ninjas here can't point me at anything than, I know I'm SOL.
Ancient History
There's really nothing much to tell. Tibet sealed itself off with a magical barrier (agh, I forget the reference, possibly the backstory of SR1 or SR2), and that's been it until PoaD, when Dunkie announced the Seal of Green Gloves goes to Aneki.

Apparently, Tibetan monasteries are still extant and at least some of their members are physical adepts of no mean skill (Brainscan).

I vaguely recall something about a mountain-sized fire elemental in one of the news reports at the back of one of the adventures, but I'd have to check for which one.

Lung's chapter in Dragons of the Sixth World mentions Tibet in passing, I think.

Unfortunately, Wordman's Sixth World Wiki has about as much to say as I do: http://wiki.dumpshock.com/index.php/Tibet
FlakJacket
I think we can probably expect the Dalai Lama to be the head of government, either directly by the country being a theocracy or as a non-executive head of state.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere several years back that historically Tibet used to have or claims land that's further out than the current borders- taking in parts of Sichuan and Qinghai provinces. If they can throw up an inpenetrable barrier around the place I could see them also annexing parts of China that they considered to be historically theirs.

I don't see them as returning to a medieval society. Not sure who's writing the Tibet part of Shadows of Asia, but I know that Demonseed Elite had some ideas floating around that made a fair amount of sense. What I remember was Shiawase had operations in the country mining their vast uranium reserves and other mineral resources, plus it was a handy place to stash R&D centres, which helped support the economy. All his own ideas though so non-canon.

Wonder if having that many people treat you as an almost deity would confer any benefits magic wise - even without things like re-Naming. Imagine the Idol Worshiper that's got an entire country's magical population Threaded to them. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012