Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm going to be rich (or poor)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pthgar
Well, I've just put all my eggs in on basket. My group is running Survival of the Fittest and in the run for Celedyr, I took my 150k nuyen fee in Transys stock. If Transys is in on the fround floor for Matrix 2.0, in five years, my character will be very rich. If not he will be very upset.

What do you think the increase in my shares would be if Transys goes from AA to AAA? At least ten times, right? I figure each "A" exponentially increases the company's worth. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
I think it'll go bankrupt, you'll sell your shares for micronuyen on the nuyen, and then it will be bought by some low-level subsidiary of Saeder-Krupp.

~J
Vuron
Uhh I'm assuming the Crash of '65 will be something comparable to the Crash of '29 in effect. Considering that computer and financial companies are likely to be among the hardest hit in the Crash it's quite possible that your stocks is going to be worthless.

Further assuming that even if Transys makes it out of the Crash relatively unscathed having a return of 1000% on your investment in five years while investing in a huge company rather than a start up etc seems pretty freaking unlikely.

Granted Threats 2 has the really stupid uber investor threat but a 20% yearly rate of return is monster over a 5 year period in established real world stocks. Considering Transys would likely be comparable to a big 2005 computer company like Microsoft or HP etc I think I'd be fantastically pleased if I could break even on my investment given the fact of a matrix wide crash.

Nikoli
Also, what level is the fake ID you have those under?
even if those shares go up, you can bet they won't make good on a sell order if the ID is fake, and that kinda money, they'll check pretty deep, as in that's not a sore throat tickling at the back there, that's their probe from the other end nearing it's examination.
Fortune
QUOTE (Vuron)
Uhh I'm assuming the Crash of '65 will be something comparable to the Crash of '29 in effect. Considering that computer and financial companies are likely to be among the hardest hit in the Crash it's quite possible that your stocks is going to be worthless.

The Matrix itself goes down. Nothing has been said about how this will affect hosts, especially those with offline backups like any bank worth its name.
Pthgar
I have harcopy stock certificates.
Not all the Megas and AAs will go under and Celedyr has a ready supply of liquid assets (his hoard) to leverage Transys.
If Transys is instrumental in rebuilding the Matrix, it will make money hand over fist.
I have no fake ID. My character is a legally registered security provider under his authentic name and SIN. The permits were a pain to buy and roleplay, but it pays off in all sorts of little ways. Of course there are some runs I cannot be a party to, but those are few and far between. Jack isn't so much a shadowrunner as he is a freelance company man. Sort of in between the runners and the company men. He moves in both worlds but isn't really a part of either. He has the most in common with police officers.
mfb
so, if a playtester looked through the SR4 rules to see who's making Matrix gear and who isn't, and bases their SR3 character's stock-buying on that... is that insider trading?
Pthgar
biggrin.gif hah!

I'm not sure if what I'm doing is really ethical. I guess if it works out I'll say that my char. consulted some wizened old strega diviner.
mfb
why Ares won't be in SR4:

"mister knight, you're under arrest for insider trading."

"but... but i can prove i had no inside information!"

"be that as it may, we have proof that your player was one of the game designers. come with us."
Phantom Runner
QUOTE (Vuron)
Uhh I'm assuming the Crash of '65 will be something comparable to the Crash of '29 in effect.

Huh wha??

Crash of 65'? I must have missed something:
How?
When?
Where?
Why?
Garland
Not enough info.
Obviously in '65. biggrin.gif
The Matrix.
In game: not enough info. Out of game: to clear the way for the changeup in SR4.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Phantom Runner)
QUOTE (Vuron @ Apr 15 2005, 10:44 AM)
Uhh I'm assuming the Crash of '65 will be something comparable to the Crash of '29 in effect.

Huh wha??

Crash of 65'? I must have missed something:
How?
When?
Where?
Why?

It's the whole topic of the upcoming run/campaign book System Failure. It is meant to be a transition between SR3 to SR4.
Vuron
While banks and stuff might not lose a ton of information experience has taught me that major events like the Matrix collapsing tends to panic investors and when investors get nervous they tend to bail out of the market and tranfer money to more concrete and secure locations. So while the hardware and data after crashes might be recoverable there is no reasons to assume that for a period of time surrounding a major catestrophe like this that banks, financial management firms and matrix providers designers wouldn't take a massive hit.

Further while knowing what's going to happen 5 years after the fact is really cool as an investor but would you as a shadowrunner just say "It's a short term aberration and I should let others panic and stay put." or would he do what most investors do and dump thier investment even at a loss? More than likely you might go uhh okay I'll take 10 cents on the dollar etc.

Nikoli
Basically, the likes of Villiers, Trump and Lowfyr will get even more money, cause they can afford to buy out those that panic, everyone else get's in line to plant a pucker on their pooper.
Phantom Runner
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
It's the whole topic of the upcoming run/campaign book System Failure. It is meant to be a transition between SR3 to SR4.

Ah ok, so I didn't really miss anything. I thought a new FAQ was out or something...I don't really have the time to go through every thread...thanks for the info.
Vuron
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Basically, the likes of Villiers, Trump and Lowfyr will get even more money, cause they can afford to buy out those that panic, everyone else get's in line to plant a pucker on their pooper.

Yeah happens all the time especially if the have inside knowledge on what's really going on.

Note: It's out of genre but this season of Deadwood has a really good plot about the town worried that thier claims might not be honored by the government. You have the insaide players manipulating fears so they can purchase claims at a fraction of thier real value.
Trax
Personally, I'd wait until the crash so I can make a killing when all the stocks become worthless, and then buy them up dirt cheap. Heck, you might get enough for a controlling share biggrin.gif
Pistons
QUOTE (mfb)
why Ares won't be in SR4:

"mister knight, you're under arrest for insider trading."

"but... but i can prove i had no inside information!"

"be that as it may, we have proof that your player was one of the game designers. come with us."

*snicker* That's funny.

But no, spud's not on the dev team. (And he's probably just peachy with that, too.)
mfb
hahahah, i was talking about damien knight, not our favorite Ares colonel. er, short colonel. er, major. er, colonel. grey knight is too busy cleaning up chico-oroville to do any insider trading!
FrostyNSO
My character is gonna buy up all the gold he can...how much money is he gonna make off that? (I have no idea about these things)
Pthgar
Is there any source info for how much Wuxing's worth increased when they went AAA? That might provide a benchmark for me if my chars dreams come true.

P.S. I plan to retire this guy and make a new char when SR4 comes out, so I'm just having fun with him for the last few months of his life as a pc.
FrostyNSO
So, I guess there's no financial wizards out there who are willing to speculate on how much the price of gold will go up during the crash of '65 eh?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012