Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Essence & Bio-Index in SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GrinderTheTroll
A small forward: So I really liked the whole Essence aspect of SR, the more stuff you put in your body, the more detacted from the rest of humanity you become. The part that kinda bugged me was the introduction of Bio-Index. It does introduce some neat ideas, but now you've got extra complexity to worry about and special rules, blah blah, bleh.

My thought: I am hoping in SR4, they restructure Bio/Cyberware costs (radios and commlinks oh my!) to use the same attribute and maybe up the Essence cap to 9 (Bio+Essence in pre-SR4). This means you could afford non-delta items costing over 7 essence (Move-by-wire anyone?) at some point aside from just running your fingers over them and dreaming.

I just don't see why it's that important to have 2 seperate but similar attributes for items that roughly do similar functions.

Maybe more inline with SR4 rules: Completely remove the cap on Bio-ware/Essence expenditures, and introduce penalties based how *how much* junk you got in your trunk passed a threshold. Maybe, "for each point (round up) over 9, remove two dice from all health and social related tests", for example.
GunnerJ
Make Bioware cost essense, but...
1) allow three points of it "free" of Essense cost (but it still reduces Magic rating as in SR3), and...
2) Essense loss from bioware can be recovered, and quickly.
Eldritch
Ya Grinder - I agree something should be done.

Hopefully the Devs already thought of that.

(MAybe you should head over to Kage's SR3R thread and suggest...)

GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Apr 15 2005, 11:33 AM)
Ya Grinder - I agree something should be done. 

Hopefully the Devs already thought of that. 

(MAybe you should head over to Kage's SR3R thread and suggest...)

Problem is those threads are now spanning many pages and I don't have time to read them all. I thought perhaps presenting my ideas in a new thread might be a better approach to getting lost on page "X".

Also, I don't know if any one post is being more reviewed by browsing developers over another. I am sure they don't have time to blog through 10 pages worth of thoughts in one sitting either.
Shalimar
I would prefer characters getting 6 essence points, and then all Cyber and Bioware having 2 listed prices(2 per grade availible) The first being the 'Ware's initial cost. They pay that when they get it implanted.

The second essence cost would be roughly 75-80% of the initial cost. If a character goes through the effort of fully integrating the ware into his body, counseling, keeping it in tune, etc, and pay karma, then over a month or some other period of time, the difference between the initial cost and the fully integrated essence cost is refunded to the character.

Getting cyber implanted is a major shock to the system, and until and unless you make the effort to fully recover and integrate it with your body your body (and Psyche) will be less accepting of changes. This gives mundanes some way to keep improving themselves. It would also set up a mechanic that allows people to regain essence if the switched out alpha grade wired 3 for delta grade, etc.
Vuron
Having all augments cyber or bioware come from one pool like essence instead of two seperate but linked attributes would be a definite improvement.

If you scale back costs of most high essence cyber and high index bioware by 20-30% (more for stuff like the cellphone and radio) it's a pretty easy thing to accomplish.
mfb
i think that paying a certain karma cost to reduce the cost of an implant is an interesting idea. i don't think it should be a flat rate, though, and i think you should be able to do it only once per implant. maybe roll your Edge, and reduce the essence cost by 5% per hit, or something, at a cost of 5 karma per point or portion of a point of essence that the implant costs, base.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (mfb)
i think that paying a certain karma cost to reduce the cost of an implant is an interesting idea. i don't think it should be a flat rate, though, and i think you should be able to do it only once per implant. maybe roll your Edge, and reduce the essence cost by 5% per hit, or something, at a cost of 5 karma per point or portion of a point of essence that the implant costs, base.

Random essence adjustments for Cyberware? That idea doesn't really fit into any SR mechanic. I don't like that.

Some things need to reamain fixed or logically adjustable (alpha, beta, delta, etc.) IMO.

Ellery
I think it's possible to have both cyberware and bioware take essence, but the half the point of bioware is supposed to be that it's more magic-friendly. So how does one keep it balanced?

If you wanted to simplify to using a single system, and didn't want to bother with X points for free or anything complicated like that, there is a way to do it.

Cyberware is cheap (at standard grade).
Bioware is expensive (maybe beta-grade pricing?).

Cyberware does, for the most part, different things than bioware.

Where bioware and cyberware do the same thing, cyberware can do it better (if you're willing to pay essence).

Bioware and cyberware do not stack when they do the same thing.

Essence lost to bioware can be regenerated after removal; not so with cyberware (or it's much harder).

This would mostly retain the flavor of bioware vs. cyberware for awakened vs. unawakened (and "natural" vs. "heavily augmented") characters, as long as it was okay with game balance to make standard cyberware a lot cheaper.

And you could then have interesting hybrid technology that need not clearly appear to be either cyberware or bioware. (Having something cost 0.25 essence plus 0.4 body index is rather messy--better if it just costs 0.35 essence.)
GrinderTheTroll
I like the idea of regenrating Essence taking longer with Cyberware (devices) vs. Bioware (organics). I think the line between these two needs to vanish aside from this type of mechanic (organic vs. device), and the Essence/Cash cost should be a reflection of usefullness/balance.

I am leaning towards a threshold idea for magic and Cyber/Bioware, where for each point (round up) over threshold "X", you would withhold a die or two from the various Magical test.

Guess it really depends on how Magic gets defined in SR4 and how bonuses and penalties to the various "dice pools" are handled.
mfb
i'm pretty much in agreement with ell. i think that if bioware and cyberware can both use essence if you greatly reduce the essence cost of bioware, greatly reduce the nuyen cost of cyberware, and either leave the nuyen cost of bioware alone or raise it. that way, cyber will be what all the street punk use, and bioware will be what the high-end killers and mages use.
Ellery
Also, to prevent someone from having every bioware gadget known to man, you should have plenty of mutually exclusive pieces of bioware. For example, with bioware you might have thermally augmented eyes (a new IR color pigment, maybe), and you might have low-light eyes (more rods, fewer cones), but not both because you can only fit so many photoreceptors in your eyes. Each one would be as good or better than the best cybereye modification--but if you want both mods, you have to go to cybereyes and a completely different technology.
mfb
to keep things simple, i'd simply state that only the highest augmentation applies, in the case of bioware that affects stats.
Fortune
QUOTE (mfb @ Apr 16 2005, 09:18 AM)
i think that if bioware and cyberware can both use essence if you greatly reduce the essence cost of bioware, greatly reduce the nuyen cost of cyberware, and either leave the nuyen cost of bioware alone or raise it. that way, cyber will be what all the street punk use, and bioware will be what the high-end killers and mages use.

This is something I can definitely agree with.
Wireknight
I would like to go on record as saying that I am in favor of the retention of seperate but inter-related Essence and Bio Index scores to keep track of cybernetic versus biological augmentations. This allows for characters to remain "whole", in an essence-sense, while still being sufficiently different from their natural physical template and possessed of certain biosystem-stressing add-ons and augmentations.

I'm all about the two statistics being linked to one-another, and I believe that there should be repercussions of augmentation-reduced Essence just like there are repercussions for increased Bio Index for non-healing/toxin resisting/etc... types of bioware. Things like increased difficulty of magical healing (since, now, magical healing would not necessarily be impacted by low essence, as TN# is uniform) and increased susceptibility to toxins and pathogens would be nice. Why would you suffer more immune system woes for having some vat-tissue in your joints than you would for having metal laced throughout your skeleton, or synthetic flex-polymers surgically grafted into your muscular system?

I've always liked the conceptual distinction that the two statistics permit; that the integration of machinery and other "dead" parts into the body, as well as things like life-force draining, reduced the Essence statistic, while the alteration of the body with more subtle and organic means, to maintain the "letter of the law" as far as wholeness of flesh went, was still not without repercussion (i.e. the accruement of Bio Index).

I did not, however, like Bio Index being related to any particular mental or statistic (as it was in its Body Index manifestation), as it encouraged, in my games, characters with a higher rating of that particular attribute (Body, for Body Index) than they ordinarily would have tried to get, in order to permit them to cram in more bioware. With the Essence-related statistic, it still impacts and relates to health (through increased difficulty with healing and reduced immunity), but doesn't encourage spindly deckers with Body of 6 so they can cram in all that good neural bioware.

By making both cost Essence, it eliminates what I believe should be an important distinction. If genetech, bioware, and the like all cost Essence, it then introduces problems of consequence. Suddenly, if bioware costs Essence, does that mean that vat-grown organ replacements, vat-grown limbs, and the like, now cost Essence commensurate with cyberlimbs? What about genetically engineered beings, who are essentially "biozombies", their entire bodies made up of essence-reducing bioengineered tissues?

Do they have Essence of 0, like a drone or a corpse-cadavre? If so, how do they stay alive, still being living beings with a metabolism (living beings tend to require some major mojo to keep up the whole "being alive" thing when Essence is 0 or less)? If not, why do characters with sufficiently large amounts of cyberware, enough to bring them to 0 Essence, die? If they don't have Essence of 0, why are they getting a free ticket on the cultured tissue train? Is there some way that my character can take advantage of this to get consequence-free bioware and genetech? If there isn't, why?

What it all boils down to is considering the implications. Sort of like the whole "make otaku magical" drive, the moment you indicate that you can do a certain thing, it puts the foot in the door for all manner of things that can be built upon that one basic premise. You have to really consider just how an idea, and its consequent derivations by later developers, possibly years down the line (when you no longer have a say in the direction of the game), will evolve and influence other aspects of the game at large.

Oh, and please do not ask me to expound on the foot-in-the-door potential of making otaku (or whatever they end up being called in the new edition) a magical or pseudo-magical character type will be. I think there's a thread with a poll that'd be much more appropriate for discourse on that subject, and I'll probably post my feelings on that matter in that thread, to avoid hijacking the topic of this one.
RunnerPaul
Speaking about other threads, about a week or two back there was another thread about the basics of essence that may make for good reading to anyone actively particpating in this thread.
Ellery
I like the distinction, but I think it is contrary to the "keep it simple, stupid" philosophy of SR4.

And I think that the worst drawbacks of making bioware take essence can be avoided.

For example, bioware that simply replaces an existing limb, organ, tissue, or whatever with a cloned copy, should have no essence cost at all (or at least no permanent essence cost), just like you have no essence cost when you're badly wounded and then put back together again using all your own parts. Properly cloned tissue is your own parts.

Bioware that provides an enhancement, however, would have a small essence cost: it slightly upsets the regulatory systems of the body and it provides a slight mismatch between the natural aura of the person and their body; between the two of these things, essence decreases.

If you could find enough places to stick in bioware to reduce essence to zero (which I wouldn't recommend allowing), the person would die from regulatory imbalances and aura conflict, just like with too much cyber. If they went through cybermantic rituals, they'd be biozombies, perhaps like Frankenstein's monster.

There's a bit of bioware/cyberware subtlety lost here, but not much. And it is simpler to have one statistic to measure how much peculiar stuff you've jammed into yourself.

Oh, and I wouldn't touch magical Otaku with a ten-foot pole, or look at them in my polished iron mirror.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Ellery @ Apr 16 2005, 05:00 PM)
Bioware that provides an enhancement, however, would have a small essence cost: it slightly upsets the regulatory systems of the body and it provides a slight mismatch between the natural aura of the person and their body; between the two of these things, essence decreases.

Ah, but bioware, even bioware that provides an enhancement, has an aura of it's own, due to the fact that it's living tissue. And the physical capabilities of that piece of bioware matches exactly what the bioware's astral template suggests that it should be capable of, and no more.

Of course, you could always say that by implanting a piece of living tissue into a living organism, you're creating a whole new organism, and the implantation process is not capable of creating a new aura that completely matches.

However, I doubt they'd drop Bio-index, even with the push for "streamlining". As someone pointed out, streamlining isn't blindly chopping things away, it's making sure that what is there has good flow. If having less attributes always resulted in better flow, we wouldn't have Intuition/Logic, they would have stayed with Intelligence.
Ellery
Ah, but bioware, even bioware that provides an enhancement, has an aura of it's own, due to the fact that it's living tissue. And the physical capabilities of that piece of bioware matches exactly what the bioware's astral template suggests that it should be capable of, and no more.

Er, right, that was my point. The bioware doesn't match the aura of its owner.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Ellery)
Er, right, that was my point. The bioware doesn't match the aura of its owner.

And my point is that the bioware has it's own aura, which matches it perfectly. At what point would you have this living thing start ignoring its own astral aura?

Let me throw an example out here. Joe Shadowrunner likes meals of real food and can't stand soyproducts. One day though, he gets ahold of a bad batch of ham and ends up getting a tapeworm. This tapeworm lives in his intestines, getting it's nutrients from the food Joe eats. In fact, because the parasite is competing with Joe's body for nutrients, Joe gets the "benefit" of being able to consume more food without becoming obese.

So the question is, does having having that tapeworm mean Joe counts as having a body that's been enhanced away from what his astral template suggests he should be, thus loosing essence under your proposal, or is he just some guy with an aura, and a tapeworm that has it's own aura, and the two auras, while co-existing in the same space, don't interact with each other to the point of causing pattern damage? Of course, if you answer the latter, my next question would be what specific things differentiate implanted bioware from any other parasitic life form?
blakkie
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Of course, if you answer the latter, my next question would be what specific things differentiate implanted bioware from any other parasitic life form?

No, no, no. Your next question should have been; if the tapeworm is a awakened can he group cast with the host. wink.gif

Seriously though, remember that cultured bioware used the owner's own tissues as a source. So it's going to be a lot closer than, for example a parasite.
Ellery
And my point is that the bioware has it's own aura, which matches it perfectly. At what point would you have this living thing start ignoring its own astral aura?

I got the impression that the aura of a living being was a cohesive thing--you didn't look at someone and see a patchwork quilt of the aura of their eyes, and the aura of their forehead, and the aura of their left tricep, etc.. You need that cohesion.

So the question is, does having having that tapeworm mean Joe counts as having a body that's been enhanced away from what his astral template suggests he should be, thus loosing essence under your proposal

Tapeworms actually live outside the body (the gut is epithelial), so I wouldn't give essence cost for them. But for nastier parasites that actually live in your flesh--yes, I think it would be appropriate to give essence costs for them.
Westiex
By either reasoning, getting the flu costs essence ...

Which would, mind you, be a great way to piss off those 'pure' awakened types - "Oh, you just lost .01 points of bioware. Loose a magic point."

"What?!?!?"

"And by the way, your character has the flu. Congratulations."

What about tumors? Cancer?
blakkie
QUOTE (Westiex @ Apr 17 2005, 12:38 PM)
By either reasoning, getting the flu costs essence ...

Which would, mind you, be a great way to piss off those 'pure' awakened types - "Oh, you just lost .01 points of bioware. Loose a magic point."

"What?!?!?"

"And by the way, your character has the flu. Congratulations."

What about tumors? Cancer?

Cancer is pretty damn close to cultured bioware. The bodies own cells altered genetically by external agents.

All in all though this thread looks like an arguement about a Batman vs. Superman fight. Trying to layer logic over a base of illogical.
Ellery
Sure, having the flu take off a little bit of essence, transiently, seems okay too. It's
temporary essence loss--you fight the flu off and you're fine again. This works fine
with the "bioware essence loss heals easily" idea. And cancer, again, why not?

The worst that could happen is that a bad flu plus cancer would kill some people chock full of cyberware. But...if they're not vulnerable to things like this, what's the big deal about being close to zero essence? As it is now, it's not risky ("Gee, if I get cancer, I'm a goner with the way all this metal is weighing my immune system down")--if anything, it will boost your body until you keel over, mysteriously dead, in the peak of health.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ Apr 17 2005, 04:16 PM)
What's the big deal about being close to zero essence?

Besides running out, ummm I'm guessing vampires, windego, etc. are still essense suckers. I wonder if they'll keep some sort of magical healing is hard with low essense bodies? That was by far the biggest, baddest low essense penalty. You could still be healed, but it took a truckload of dice even under ideal conditions to heal more than a couple of boxes.
Ellery
How often does the average cybered person run into a wendigo? And needing magical healing is annoying--but it's usually a time issue rather than a matter of life and death, since healing takes too long to do in combat; if you have time to get out of combat, you usually have time to get to a hospital or clinic or street doc or somesuch.
kackling kactuar
All in all though this thread looks like an arguement about a Batman vs. Superman fight. Trying to layer logic over a base of illogical.

That's only because some people are too blind to see that Superman can easily cream Batman without breaking a sweat.

Oh wait, sorry. You may return to your regularly scheduled programming.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery)
How often does the average cybered person run into a wendigo? And needing magical healing is annoying--but it's usually a time issue rather than a matter of life and death, since healing takes too long to do in combat; if you have time to get out of combat, you usually have time to get to a hospital or clinic or street doc or somesuch.

Wendigo and other essense sucking threats, I guess that is largely campaign dependant.

But for magical healing, couldn't you use extra successes to buy down healing time? If it is a two or more stage infiltration and you have a 30 seconds or so to do a quick patch up that saved you a TN penalty or two was a big deal. Sometimes you found yourself in remote areas or pressed for time (once again campaign dependant).

But campaign dependant issues aside, a good part of it is nuyen.gif. The more boxes of damage you scrub before you come through the front door of emergency, or the back alley clinic, the cheaper your visit is. A solid 4 or 5 box heal might mean you don't have to go at all.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Ellery)
I got the impression that the aura of a living being was a cohesive thing--you didn't look at someone and see a patchwork quilt of the aura of their eyes, and the aura of their forehead, and the aura of their left tricep, etc.. You need that cohesion.

If the eyes, forehead, and tricep were all from the same living being and have been since the beginning, then there would be no patchwork. It's when you graft on foreign tissue that's the question. The way I envision it, the foreign tissue retains it's own aura, which is where you get a "patchwork quilt" effect. From best I can tell, you see the two auras blending together to form a new whole, albeit a whole that's "damaged" with respects to comparisons with the physical, resulting in essence loss.

Getting back to the "would parasites cost essence" question, you indicated that you regarded the epithelial layer as the outside of the body. Would it not be a valid technique then, to use the genetic manipulation techniques available in SR's time to make the body grow a small pocket-like cavity lined with epithelial cells, where ever you needed the bioware to be implanted, and then implant the bioware into that cavity? Such a technique wouldn't work for all bioware, of course; it'd be rather inappropriate for muscle augmenting type bioware, but for many of the glandular types, they wouldn't be impacted if they were directly impacted into the body or implanted into an epithelial pocket.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (blakkie)
Besides running out, ummm I'm guessing vampires, windego, etc. are still essense suckers. I wonder if they'll keep some sort of magical healing is hard with low essense bodies? That was by far the biggest, baddest low essense penalty. You could still be healed, but it took a truckload of dice even under ideal conditions to heal more than a couple of boxes.

We still have Essence-drainers. Magical healing is still a problem for low-Essence characters.

There might be some more problems for low-Essence types; I've pushed for a long time to have more of an in-game effect for that condition. I don't know how that's going to shake out right now.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Ellery @ Apr 17 2005, 05:30 PM)
How often does the average cybered person run into a wendigo?

Depends entirely on the game, but in mine...more often than you might think. For sure more often than some of my characters would like. (Well, not wendigos, but vampires and banshees for sure.)
And needing magical healing is annoying--but it's usually a time issue rather than a matter of life and death, since healing takes too long to do in combat; if you have time to get out of combat, you usually have time to get to a hospital or clinic or street doc or somesuch.

Not necessarily. It depends on your situation, but there's not as much opportunity to get to a hospital as you seem to believe. I suppose it's a GM-to-GM thing, but I know that magical healing is a pretty big part of what keeps some of the PCs in my group alive.
warrior_allanon
you know what patrick, i found a quick cure for vampires, 3 round burst from an AS-7 with flechette but hey thats me the heavier firepower guy,

no i dont play a street sam, why do i look like one?

FrostyNSO
I'm waiting for someone to jump in with the token "If you have had to resort to magical healing then the run was already a failure." comment.
Dawnshadow
Nah. I've got a character that uses magical healing all the time. Then again, he's sleeping with a shaman. He hasn't gotten sick or had any injury last since they started... funny thing that?

Oh, wait.. forgot about the current run, which she didn't come on. He's gotten sick there. For a few hours only though.
blakkie
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
Nah. I've got a character that uses magical healing all the time. Then again, he's sleeping with a shaman. He hasn't gotten sick or had any injury last since they started... funny thing that?

Oh, wait.. forgot about the current run, which she didn't come on. He's gotten sick there. For a few hours only though.

But the costs for flowers, and diamond studded fetishes? eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
If the eyes, forehead, and tricep were all from the same living being and have been since the beginning, then there would be no patchwork. It's when you graft on foreign tissue that's the question. The way I envision it, the foreign tissue retains it's own aura, which is where you get a "patchwork quilt" effect. From best I can tell, you see the two auras blending together to form a new whole, albeit a whole that's "damaged" with respects to comparisons with the physical, resulting in essence loss.

I seem to recall something about Bioware being all but impossible to spot outside of a medical exam, even with Assensing. If this is true, it seems to go a long way towards refuting your perception of seperate auras.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Fortune)
I seem to recall something about Bioware being all but impossible to spot outside of a medical exam, even with Assensing. If this is true, it seems to go a long way towards refuting your perception of seperate auras.

Agreed. I'll have to hit my books again.
Ellery
I'm proposing something that would give a consistent view for bioware taking a bit of essence in SR4. In SR3, the bioware section says that nothing can detect bioware aside from exploratory surgery (which is silly, since MRI has more than enough resolution to detect many kinds of bioware), but it doesn't bother mentioning assensing, which can detect a lot of other physical conditions that can't be detected aside from exploratory surgery.

So unless there's some FAQ that says one way or the other, I don't think it's clear. If you look at the kinds of things you can see with 5+ assensing successes (in the core book), it'd be a miracle if bioware didn't show up at all.
GrinderTheTroll
I am thinking that whatever is decided for Essence-Bio-whatever number, it would be more useful to "count-up" instead of "count down" to zero. This could potentially allow for *alot* of extra cyber/bioware, but make calculating penalties or monitoring thresholds much easier. It would also remove the "10-Essence" math that always seemes clunky and out-of-place in how SR seems to work.

Depending on how (and if) SR4 does a more complete job of explaining the relationship between Cyberware, Bioware and a Essence-Bio-whatever attribute(s), I still think there should be some inherent "loss of humanity" type penalty for approaching some threshold number, especially for things like magic or social skill tests. This of coarse if Essence-Bio-whatever is defined as "losing touch with humanity", although given the nature of Bioware vs. Cyberware, I suppose you could make an argument either way.

As an example: For each point (rounding-up) of Essence-Bio-whatever, you'd remove 1-die from any Magical Test. You still have to account somehow casting things over your Magic Attribute, since you'd lose that immediate (and rarely used) mechanic. Health spells might remove 1-die for each point of Essence-Bio-whatever the target has, etc. for types of spells. Social Tests (unless appropriate) would incurr the same penalty but have it apply only if the attribute > 4 (threshold) was met.

Just some thoughts.
Dizzo Dizzman
Here is an idea unlikely to affect anything: You could have variable levels of bio/essence penalities just like with damage. For example, if you have a total of one point worth of bio/essence penalities then you would be at "light" modification (-1 to dice magical/social tests or something). At three points of bio/essence loss you're at "moderate" modification. At six points you're at "severe" modification and at 10 points or more you're officially a cyberzombie (no magical/social tests). cyber.gif
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Dizzo Dizzman)
Here is an idea unlikely to affect anything: You could have variable levels of bio/essence penalities just like with damage. For example, if you have a total of one point worth of bio/essence penalities then you would be at "light" modification (-1 to dice magical/social tests or something). At three points of bio/essence loss you're at "moderate" modification. At six points you're at "severe" modification and at 10 points or more you're officially a cyberzombie (no magical/social tests). cyber.gif

Hmm this is an interesting idea although I'd not like the idea of another "10-slot box" lingering around though.

This is something along the lines of what I am thinking.
Wireknight
Oh, just to comment on the earlier idea that a wendigo is trouble for a highly cybered character... they're really not. Essence Drain is, in the existing rules, something that is mechanically and descriptively left nebulous, except for the iterated fact that it requires a helpless subject and minutes of uninterrupted time. I think if the samurai is helpless and in the presence of a hostile wendigo, he's pretty much screwed regardless of how high or low his Essence is. At least, with lower Essence, it'll be quicker.
Fortune
I agree. This isn't AD&D, where the Vampire just has to touch a person to drain a couple of levels.
blakkie
QUOTE (Wireknight @ Apr 19 2005, 09:40 PM)
Oh, just to comment on the earlier idea that a wendigo is trouble for a highly cybered character... they're really not.  Essence Drain is, in the existing rules, something that is mechanically and descriptively left nebulous, except for the iterated fact that it requires a helpless subject and minutes of uninterrupted time.  I think if the samurai is helpless and in the presence of a hostile wendigo, he's pretty much screwed regardless of how high or low his Essence is.  At least, with lower Essence, it'll be quicker.

Depends entirely on timing, how fast the cavlary can get there. smile.gif Remember that the essense sucker is feeding, and is very unlikely to outright kill and waste a potential meal.

But I do agree that it is generally a lesser issue than harder magical healing if only for the relative infrequency of it mattering.
Critias
The increased difficulty of magical healing isn't all that huge a deal, either, when you remember that for a minor essence/bio index expenditure, your average street sammie can (and likely will) be completely unbothered by wound modifiers, meaning that he's either dead or effortlessly killing bad guys, and there's not much room or need for magical healing in between. I've yet to run into a situation where any sammie I've seen has ever needed magical healing (and not just been able to tough it out 'till the end of the fight/session/game/adventure/whatever, and wait for DocWagon to pick his ass up).

But even with my general scorn for those who list higher spellcasting TNs as a downside of a low Essence, I understand it's possible, as opposed to people who seem so concerned about what a terrible weakness and vulnerability a low Essence is if you're fighting a vampire or similar. If the thing's got a street sam helpless and is feeding off him, it means it could have killed him anyways -- his low Essence isn't the problem, his getting his ass handed to him is. His low Essence isn't really an issue from that point.
blakkie
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 20 2005, 12:52 AM)
The increased difficulty of magical healing isn't all that huge a deal, either, when you remember that for a minor essence/bio index expenditure, your average street sammie can (and likely will) be completely unbothered by wound modifiers, meaning that he's either dead or effortlessly killing bad guys, and there's not much room or need for magical healing in between.  I've yet to run into a situation where any sammie I've seen has ever needed magical healing (and not just been able to tough it out 'till the end of the fight/session/game/adventure/whatever, and wait for DocWagon to pick his ass up).

First he had to take extra cyber/bio to get to that point, dumping something else along the way. Sure that stuff is handy to have anyway, but unless you take it the magical healing becomes more of an issue.

Then he had to dish out extra cash to DocWagon to stitch his spleen back together. End of the world? Nah. But certainly a pain in the butt. EDIT: A real pain in the butt if it requires hospital stay when there are pressing action items to take care of.

But even with my general scorn for those who list higher spellcasting TNs as a downside of a low Essence, I understand it's possible, as opposed to people who seem so concerned about what a terrible weakness and vulnerability a low Essence is if you're fighting a vampire or similar.  If the thing's got a street sam helpless and is feeding off him, it means it could have killed him anyways -- his low Essence isn't the problem, his getting his ass handed to him is.  His low Essence isn't really an issue from that point.

Like i said the essense sucker is unlikely to kill his free meal. Every point the victim has gives him more minutes to live (depending on GM ruling). If the essense sucker knows the victim only has a sliver of a point of essense to suck he might not bother with the risk and just toast him outright (i'm not sure of the proper ruling on this, i don't think this is covered in the rules). If backup is coming to bail his butt out the extra time can matter. If it's not coming it doesn't matter. Entirely senario dependant.
Wireknight
QUOTE (blakkie)
Like i said the essense sucker is unlikely to kill his free meal. Every point the victim has gives him more minutes to live (depending on GM ruling). If the essense sucker knows the victim only has a sliver of a point of essense to suck he might not bother with the risk and just toast him outright (i'm not sure of the proper ruling on this, i don't think this is covered in the rules). If backup is coming to bail his butt out the extra time can matter. If it's not coming it doesn't matter. Entirely senario dependant.

I think what is trying to be said (or at least what I was trying to say) is that while, yes, having lower Essence makes you more quick to die when an essence-drainer has you helpless before it, you're equally doomed even if it's not a drainer that's got you in that position. A hated enemy, or a serial killer, who has you completely at their mercy, is going to kill you just as dead as the essence-drainer. The essence drainer will, in a few minutes time, have drained away that last fraction of a point of Essence and killed you, sure. In that same time, the aforementioned others would probably have slit your throat from ear-to-ear or performed a coup-de-grace with a shotgun at point-blank range. You're still dead.

Plus, I don't think it's yet been addressed how a low Essence likely makes a samurai a less valuable target for a drainer. Compared to a samurai, who's spent away a lot of his delicious, tasty Essence on implants that make him that much more difficult to render helpless and maintain in that state, like a bite-sized snack locked away in a wrought iron wrapper with combination locks, deckers and faces, with higher Essence and (theoretically) less badass combat cyberware, would be like a full three-course meal handed to them on a silver platter. Why work that much harder to take down a combat-ready cyborg that'll barely slake your unholy thirst, when you could take down a weaker and more nutritionally balanced character with less flavor-killing metal bits?
blakkie
QUOTE (Wireknight @ Apr 20 2005, 01:22 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Apr 20 2005, 07:09 AM)

I think what is trying to be said (or at least what I was trying to say) is that while, yes, having lower Essence makes you more quick to die when an essence-drainer has you helpless before it, you're equally doomed even if it's not a drainer that's got you in that position. A hated enemy, or a serial killer, who has you completely at their mercy, is going to kill you just as dead as the essence-drainer. The essence drainer will, in a few minutes time, have drained away that last fraction of a point of Essence and killed you, sure. In that same time, the aforementioned others would probably have slit your throat from ear-to-ear or performed a coup-de-grace with a shotgun at point-blank range. You're still dead.

I think that's the kind of comment that FrostyNSO was expecting. "If you get captured the run is already a failure." I'm just pointing out that the extra essense can buy you time that may or may not be important.

Plus, I don't think it's yet been addressed how a low Essence likely makes a samurai a less valuable target for a drainer.  Compared to a samurai, who's spent away a lot of his delicious, tasty Essence on implants that make him that much more difficult to render helpless and maintain in that state, like a bite-sized snack locked away in a wrought iron wrapper with combination locks, deckers and faces, with higher Essence and (theoretically) less badass combat cyberware, would be like a full three-course meal handed to them on a silver platter.  Why work that much harder to take down a combat-ready cyborg that'll barely slake your unholy thirst, when you could take down a weaker and more nutritionally balanced character with less flavor-killing metal bits?

Yes indeed. Why subdue someone that isn't a meal when you can just flat out kill them or subdue them, whichever is easiest to you. If you are concerned about life or death, then dead is dead and living but captured is alive for a bit longer. In a few minutes it might not matter, or it might.

EDIT: It could go the other way if the essense sucker was able to issolate the juicy victim without having to kill the low essense. How rare or common that senario is only your GM can tell you. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012