Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sasquatches, etc, as PC's.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pjotr
So I was wondering if there were any rules for using Sasquatches and Vampires, for example, as PC's? I mean the attribute modifiers and the whole shabang.

And, as I read some topic here, people were talking about IE's, apparently something big, so what's IE stand for?

Thank you for your interest.

Trax
IE = Immortal Elves
Herald of Verjigorm
IE: Immortal Elf. A tiny group of elves who are either ancient creatures born of a complex magical ritual, or the lucky few descendants of those elves who inherited the trait.
Here's one set of takes on less human PCs.
hahnsoo
For Sasquatch PCs, I would make them cost either the same as a Troll metavariant (15 points) or a Shapeshifter (25 points? Dunno.). Assuming an average human stat of 3, they have +5 to Body, +4 to Strength, and -1 to Willpower (this is immensely over-powered, and probably should be toned down to a +4 Body and +3 Strength). They cannot speak (although they are great at mimicking sounds), and usually communicate using Perkins Athabaskan sign language. They are also Dual-natured.

Vampires have the same stats as humans (but due to their power of Enhanced Physical Attributes, they get a bonus to their stats equal to their Essence), and have the following abilities:
Powers: Enhanced Physical Attributes, Enhanced Senses (Hearing, Smell, Thermographic Vision), Essence Drain, Immunity (Age, Pathogens, Poisons), Infection, Mist Form, Regeneration.
Weaknesses: Allergy (Sunlight, Moderate), Induced Dormancy (Lack of Air), Essence Loss, Vulnerability (Wood)

Weaknesses may vary depending on culture.

I would make a Vampire PC cost as much as a Shapeshifter or even higher.
Smiley
That's pretty steep.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Smiley)
That's pretty steep.

Not as steep as playing a Shapeshifter, though. For one thing, you don't have to distribute your stats between two separate physical forms, and Vampires actually get a major boost to their physical stats through Essence. At the minimum, I expect them to cost as much as Shapeshifters.
Kagetenshi
Keep in mind that Sasquatches give some pretty mean bonuses in Performance tests.

~J
Capt. Dave
PCs who get turned into vampires use their normal stats, plus all the benefits/drawbacks of being a vampire. In game, becoming a vampire is "free".

As to chargen, at the very least it should be shapeshifter cost, IMHO, more if you're going to allow them the difference in "average" stats and those listed under Vampires (+2 Charisma, +1 Intelligence, +1 Willpower, +1 Reaction, +1D6 Init.)

Sasquatches? I don't think the Attribute modifiers are over-powered, as that's what trolls get, minus 1 to willpower. I'd say a troll metavariant.
The Question
Why would you want to be a sasquatch Shadowrunner anyway? Surely something the size of a troll with a nice coat of fur, little understanding of technology and the ability to make that guy out of Police Academy look third-rate would stand out a bit in the crowd?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (The Question)
Why would you want to be a sasquatch Shadowrunner anyway? Surely something the size of a troll with a nice coat of fur, little understanding of technology and the ability to make that guy out of Police Academy look third-rate would stand out a bit in the crowd?

*shrugs* Alternate campaign, perhaps? I could definitely see an alternate Rocker campaign with a Sasquatch member.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (The Question)

If its canon to play as a minotaur, satyr, cyclops, or dryad, it shouldn't be outside the realm of possibilities to play a sasquatch. If someone was running a NAN tribal game, they'd fit in perfectly. Nature runs and that sort of thing.
Fygg Nuuton
the sasquatch reminds me of the venture brothers episode
hyzmarca
QUOTE (The Question)

With a fake ID and a burka a Sasquach could reasonably pass as a tall mute Muslim woman with a hormone imbalance.
Pjotr
QUOTE (The Question)

Yeah, well, as a GM, I usually prefer to pregenerate a set of char's for my players, since they usually go for the cheese'd up archetypes, not that there's necessarily something wrong in it, but it leads to characters with little personality. Also, I think that giving them a character that's not that easy to play leads to more "roleplaying". Plus, I don't like the idea that when you should have certain types of characters for certain types of games, I like it when there's these odd pieces, so hence the interest for sasquatches, though it is yet unsure if I will really use that idea.

Thanks for the numerous helpful replies!
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (The Question @ Apr 16 2005, 01:29 PM)
Why would you want to be a sasquatch Shadowrunner anyway?  Surely something the size of a troll with a nice coat of fur, little understanding of technology and the ability to make that guy out of Police Academy look third-rate would stand out a bit in the crowd?

With a fake ID and a burka a Sasquach could reasonably pass as a tall mute Muslim woman with a hormone imbalance.

There's no need for that kind of talk. Seriously.
Edward
QUOTE (Pjotr)
Why would you want to be a sasquatch Shadowrunner anyway?  Surely something the size of a troll with a nice coat of fur, little understanding of technology and the ability to make that guy out of Police Academy look third-rate would stand out a bit in the crowd?

Yeah, well, as a GM, I usually prefer to pregenerate a set of char's for my players, since they usually go for the cheese'd up archetypes, not that there's necessarily something wrong in it, but it leads to characters with little personality. Also, I think that giving them a character that's not that easy to play leads to more "roleplaying". Plus, I don't like the idea that when you should have certain types of characters for certain types of games, I like it when there's these odd pieces, so hence the interest for sasquatches, though it is yet unsure if I will really use that idea.

Thanks for the numerous helpful replies!

How do you manage to get good role playing of prejens. Without having been involved in the righting of the character background the player wont really know what it is and will probably wing up contradicting your opinion of personality. If you don’t include a background then truly there is nothing to the character other than a set of numbers.

For me at least it is while I am designing the character that the background comes into focus. Things et added and removed because they don’t fit the background of where other bits come from (you cyber arm may contain razers when your other hand has claws because that is what was available at the street clinic when you needed the arm installed.)

Edward
Capt. Dave
QUOTE (Crimson Jack @ Apr 17 2005, 07:54 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Apr 16 2005, 03:11 PM)

There's no need for that kind of talk. Seriously.

Yeah, Sasquatches are people, too! biggrin.gif
DragginSPADE
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think tall mute Muslim women with hormone imbalances would be that much more inconspicuous than a sasquatch.
Moon-Hawk
Seriously, guys. You could be offending the tall, mute, muslim women with hormone inbalances population, here. They may be a minority, but everyone is an important part of dumpshock. I mean, if you were a tall, mute, muslim woman with hormone imbalances, how would these flippant and careless comments make you feel?
I'm thinking there's got to be two, maybe three people in the world somewhere that might just take offense to those comments. And if, on the off chance, one of them were to log onto dumpshock, they might possibly have their feelings hurt. And maybe you owe them an apology. And maybe you just might want to consider possibly thinking about that.

disclaimer: Shadowrun is a fictitious game world and sasquates, while they may or may not exist in real life, are also intended to be fictitious, and any resemblance to any persons living or dead, or tall, or mute, or muslim, or female, or hormonally imbalanced, is purely unintentional.

Wow, my boss really needs to come back from vacation. I'm so bored.
Nikoli
Anyone else envisioning the opening cards from Dogma here?
BitBasher
QUOTE (Capt. Dave)
PCs who get turned into vampires use their normal stats, plus all the benefits/drawbacks of being a vampire. In game, becoming a vampire is "free".

Actually becoming a vampire according to canon makes you go straight NPC. You lose your character. The only thing free about that is your brand new character!

That being said, be careful because a Vamp PC is rewally psuchotically off the power scale compared to others, including shapeshifters.

Also, don't forget their extra dice in initiative and I think a running multiplier of 4.
Mortax
Um, depends on where you read. There are rules for it in 2nd, somewhere, will post when I find it. But it does require a wilpower test. Fail to get enough successes, and you go npc and on a killing spree. Get enough, and you now have a vampire. I think the tests are the same as if you turn into a ghoul.
Glyph
Vampires have a lot of abilities above and beyond regeneration. Adding their Essense to their physical stats is a monstrously powerful ability - that's a potential +12 to Body, Quickness, and Strength right there. Mist form is great for circumventing security or making an escape.

There are rules for playing shapeshifters, but they are severely gimped compared to their NPC counterparts. If you use vampires, you would probably be better off, campaign balance-wise, to use Bull's rules or something similar - let them start out weak, and spend Karma to reach their full level of vampiric ability.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012