Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Ruthenium Paint-job...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
=-_RaVeN_-=
at 10,000 nuyen.gif per metre squared, will 10 square metres cover an entire car?
Zeel De Mort
Nope, I'd say you need a bit more than that. Roughly 16 or something, depends on the car of course.

Remember you'd have to put it on the windows and EVERYWHERE for it to work well. You'd still be able to navigate using sensors though.
Cray74
QUOTE (Zeel De Mort)
Nope, I'd say you need a bit more than that. Roughly 16 or something, depends on the car of course.

Remember you'd have to put it on the windows and EVERYWHERE for it to work well. You'd still be able to navigate using sensors though.

That depends on whether you want to make the car invisible, or just change it's paint color, right?
Kanada Ten
Hopefully you'd just use photovoltaic/chameleon paint for that, not waste precious Ruthenium... unless you wanted to have photo quality and animation capabilities.
Zeel De Mort
Well, yeah, but you could just use photovoltaic paint if you wante to do that. It's much cheaper. smile.gif
=-_RaVeN_-=
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Hopefully you'd just use photovoltaic/chameleon paint for that, not waste precious Ruthenium... unless you wanted to have photo quality and animation capabilities.

Damn STRAIGHT! The car it's based on is a '55 Chevy, with a candy-apple red, and black flames on it...

...that'll be what it usually looks like.

I jus' checked with a friend; 10 metres squared is 10x10 metres... that's 100 METRES of coverage! That'd cover everything except a tank or semi-trailer!

Now fer the FUN part...

...at 1 micron thick (read the text), you can cover windscreen, tires, rims, etc., with NO VISIBILTY loss! DUST is thicker on the car than the Ruthenium!
Zeel De Mort
A "square meter" is an area that's 1 meter on each side. Ten of those (10 square meters) makes a shape that is, for example, 2x5 meters. I think maybe you've mixed a couple of things up here. 10 square meters is not an area 10m x 10m.

Anyway, I still haven't bothered to think accurately what the surface area of a car is, too tired. smile.gif
Cain
Um... 10 square meters is not the same as 10 meters squared. You're describing a bolt of fabric one meter wide by ten meters long, and not a tarp ten meters on a side.
Matrix Monkey
Keep in mind that trying to "cloak" a moving car using ruthenium polymers is pretty much pointless -- the imaging scanners just can't keep up.
(Can't give you the exact TN+ but there's a table in M&M somewhere)
Great for animations and such, but as a GM I'd allow those using photovoltaic paint combined with maybe a (cheap) imaging processor or so - RP seems a little overkill
=-_RaVeN_-=
QUOTE (Matrix Monkey)
Keep in mind that trying to "cloak" a moving car using ruthenium polymers is pretty much pointless -- the imaging scanners just can't keep up.
(Can't give you the exact TN+ but there's a table in M&M somewhere)
Great for animations and such, but as a GM I'd allow those using photovoltaic paint combined with maybe a (cheap) imaging processor or so - RP seems a little overkill

I bought 10 square metres worth (that's over 100,000 nuyen.gif )...

If it turns out to be not enough, I'll get more...

As for driving the car and havin' it blend into the background, that WASN'T the plan...

It can be programmed to be ANY colour (or colour-scheme), so therefore, you've got instant custom-paint-job in mere moments.

On the run? Turn a corner out of sight of yer pursuers, switch colour to something else, and there ya go...

(you can't do that with Photovoltic paint; it sez "Changing a vehicle's color takes a minimum of one Complex Action, and may take significantly longer for detailed patterns or color combinations.", whereas the Ruthenium sez, "Once a current is applied, the response is almost immediate, with a delay of less than one-hundredth of a second.")

Some distance between you and the trailer?

...stop, and let the image scanner do it's job.

(again, Photovoltic paint CANNOT Chameleon the surroundings).

Example: yer gettin' chased by a Lone-Star buggy through the city; the car is currently black and rusty-looking (it can LOOK like anything, remember)... Whipping into an alley and speeding through, then hangin' a fast left (watch out fer them on-coming cars!), you switch the colour to moderate green with silver trim (again, easily replicated with R.P.). A reduction of speed, a calm (legal) right onto the next street, up a few blocks, park the car, and get out...

Now TELL me there wouldn't be SIGNIFICANT modifiers against the L.S.'s for THAT little escape routine...!

P.S.- Car's done; wicked machine, I'm sure my 250k nuyen.gif will blow up REAL good in the first adventure! (smirk)
Raptor1033
make sure to cover your license plates with the stuff too, makes little good to just change your paint color if your plates are the same.
TinkerGnome
Photovoltaic paint job, morphing licence plate, transponder library. What more do you need? Round the corner, change colors, licence plates, and transponder signatures. Works as well as anything is going to.
Cain
You forgot Smart materials. Since they deform and alter shape, you can make one model of car appear as a similar model. You can't realistically make a van look like a sportscar, but you can make a 2059 Ford Americar look like a 2062 model.
Corywn
QUOTE (Cain)
You forgot Smart materials.  Since they deform and alter shape, you can make one model of car appear as a similar model.  You can't realistically make a van look like a sportscar, but you can make a 2059 Ford Americar look like a 2062 model.

The thing is that's not exactly Smart Materials, that's a "Smart Body" for the car. Smart Materials is a design option, probably more refers to the framework than the body...things like piezo-electric struts and steering mechanisms.

Secondly, I don't recall any vehicles actually listed with Smart Materials in R3, and if they were, that was certainly not the intention of the Design option.
Crimson Jack
Don't Ruthenium Fibers get fragged when they're damaged? How many rocks and bouncing pebbles on freeways hit your vehicles and leave tiny dings and sometimes large cracks on windshields. Plus, how are the tires going to be done? Sure, you might be able to figure out a way to do the sides, but what about the surfaces? These would be in constant stress with the road.

Sounds like someone just watched Die Another Day. hehe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012