Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: character advancement
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Taki
sr3 system used a fixed price in buying the attribute ie it costs 8 attribute points to have
quickness 6 and body 2, and in the same time the karma advancement rules were link to level to reach.
While that system is fairly simple, the bad point is it calls min/max behavior:
Why creating a moderate character with quickness 4 and body 4 then raise the quickness to 6 with karma when it is so much cheaper to buy quickness 6 and body 2 and then raise body to 4 ?
Same for the skills.

I enjoy much more being able to make one of my character advancing in its specialities, but it the system push to create more specialized character and enlarge the concept later.

TMO the cost during creation and advancement should be the same (or proportional) for all stats (attribute, skill, spells ...)
Either fixed cost (that is really on open door to high rank attributes and skills), or as I would prefer, a creation cost link to the rank to reach.

I think it is easier for min max spirit (as mine embarrassed.gif ) to create a character without thinking it is important to calculate the invest, and allow wide area of knowledge and skills without disadvantage later.

-Apparently- sr4 will probably fix that for attributes ?
Grinder
Yes.

No.

Who knows yet? nyahnyah.gif
mintcar
I would hope so.
blakkie
Paraphrased, FAQ #3 says 3 is average skill/stat, and above average would be rare and cost a lot. That suggests to me some sort of nonlinear graduation to the cost.

I hope there will be one anyway. The old BP system just pulled way to strongly towards all to 6, no little skills. Coupled with the possibility that even a skill of 1, backed by a solid attribute, means something, i think it might bring a lot more spreading around of stats and variety to newly minted PCs.
Taki
Does that mean the next standard will be having no rank of 1 or 2, but skills of 3 and above ?
It could stop being incentive to power player... but it is not more logical ?

ouppsss ! I have forgotten to think ! spin.gif
This can be great in fact - since the cost creation/advancement is proportional :
Then karma costs for
buying a skill rank 1 / increasing from 1 to 2 / or from 2 to 3
are equal.
Pthgar
If there is some sort of graduated progression to raise skills & stats in character creation, I would really like to se a nice big table for stat levle vs. point cost. It's not because I'm a math moron and can't calculate the costs (although I am a math moron.) It's to make char creation quicker.
That is one complaint I have heard about SR, that it takes to long to create a char. I am not in favor of simplifying char creation in terms of options available or complexity, but I am in favor of making the char creation info easy to access to speed things up.
Ellery
The best way to avoid min/maxing is to have a consistently graded progression. In the most consistent case, you'd use exactly the same rules for character creation and advancement.

This does raise one problem, however. If you don't want people to be able to start as a shadowrunner as the strongest and most skilled in the world in an area, you need to provide plenty of post-creation advancement options that are not present at creation time. One good way to really drive this home is to have separate rules for creation and advancement.

People complain that SR3 characters were too potent starting out; they didn't feel street-like enough. This was probably because of a mismatch in several areas. First, average stats were supposed to be around 3, but most archetypes had enough points to buy more than an average of three. Second, you could buy up to 6 (or 7 with an edge), and it was hard to advance much beyond that, leaving you at the top of human ability at creation time. Third, skills could go up to 6, and the rules stated that skills of 8 were legendary (even though the mechanics didn't back that up), and characters had plenty of points to buy skills of 6 (plus specializations to put them at 7). Finally, the difference in build costs vs. costs to raise stats later encouraged min/maxing, so people would have these apparently world-class stats and skills right away.

So you ended up with characters who were supposedly pretty close to the peak of human performance at character creation time, in some areas, and completely hopeless in other areas. Bad idea.

To avoid this in SR4, you'd need to provide the opposite incentive--make it expensive to buy high levels at creation time, but relatively cheaper through advancement, and don't let people buy at creation that close to the peak of human ability. That way, people will be rewarded for building solid, competent characters, but won't have ungodly combat kings right out of the box. Plus there's lots of room for bigger and badder fish for the runners to be scared of, until they get a few dozen (hundred?) karma under their belts.

Or, alternatively--which is how I dealt with SR3--I just ignored the rules that said how awesome skill 8 was, because it was obviously not that much more awesome than the specialization of 7 that my character started with. That way, in my games, starting characters didn't feel like they owned the world. They'd routinely run into people with skills of three points higher than a starting character would have (i.e. 9-10), and who had attributes of 8 or so, so they'd have to be scared not because some text said, "Oooh, he's bad!" but because he was bad, and the dice would show you if you thought otherwise.

So, anyway, to summarize, to fix min-maxing: graded progression that is either more steeply graded at creation than for future advancement, or with a cap that gives plenty of room to expand after creation.
blakkie
I'm guessing you might actually have 1, and only 1 point is some skills. In the past this would be the worst possible thing you could do because of the 1 in 6 chance of triggering the Rule of All Ones. Even a skill of 2 was dangerous that way, and you likely had even or better odds defaulting (unless the TN was too high to default).

In SR4 you'll get at least two dice for a skill (1) rolls, maybe more if your attribute die can outnumber your skill die. Because Defaulting is still a problem (Patrick implied hint), coupled with nonlinear skill costs at character creation, i would expect a smattering of low skill values coupled with some key high ones. Whether or not you'll see midrange skill values on powergamer sheets, only details will tell us.
Taki
QUOTE (Ellery)
1 The best way to avoid min/maxing is to have a consistently graded progression.  In the most consistent case, you'd use exactly the same rules for character creation and advancement. 
(...) 
To avoid this in SR4, you'd need to provide the opposite incentive-- 
2 make it expensive to buy high levels at creation time, 
3 but relatively cheaper through advancement, and don't let people buy at creation that close to the peak of human ability.  That way, people will be rewarded for building solid, competent characters,

Let say 1 I agree completely, and 2 can be fine, because I think I potential skills or attribute should cost more, but 3 will surely induce min/max...

Just Imagine a perfect driver, closed minded, a bit dumb.
And a jack of all trade (is that correct english ?) open minded, a lot of interests and different skill.
Think those 2 very basic concept done from creation rules. Why advantage the driver, saying he is very good yet, and advanced in new and low skills will be easy (SR3), but it is very hard to advanced further ranks for jack ?
Or : jack has got all the basis, it is much more easy for him to reach high rank than it was for the driver during creation ????
Both are not fair, so it forces mind as mine (huh!) to min max, for the simple reason I don't want to be f** up by the rules!

System with the SAME (or with a multiplier) cost on advancement between creation point and karma point is the best way to my mind.
It can be
1 cost 1 creation point or 1*X karma point
2 cost 2
3 cost 3
4 cost 5
5 cost 7
6 cost 10
7 cost 13 (...) so 1 to increase by one until 3, 2 to increase by one until 5, 3 to increase by until (...)

Or
1 cost 1
2 cost 3
3 cost 6
4 cost 10
5 cost 15
6 cost 21
7 cost 28 so you must add the next value to increase by one, which means you must add 3 point to go to 3 from 2.

Or something else, since cost are proportional between creation, so neither character will be advantaged, and no creation point are "losts":
Just after the Creation is done ... "we just learn the significant raise of karma cost on High rank skills in SR3 market, Jack has just figured out he spend creation point in nothing valuable" ... Nasty for him !
That is my point ...
after that determining the cost on ranks depend on the system and must be play tested.
Ellery
So you're saying you basically like the current SR method for advancement through karma, and would like it applied to character creation as well?
Taki
not necessary. I say basically: there should be only one system, not 2

I do not feel in good position to evaluate which system to choose as I don't really now the impact of ranks on the character - in SR3 a rank of one was stupid, a skill was useful starting at 3 -then it was stupid that a rank '6' costed 6 time the rank '1'. It should have costed much more, because a rank 6 was at least 20 times more useful than a rank 1.
It has changed in SR4 with skill+attribute.
Fortune
In SR3 thare was a mechanic that kept people from creating characters at the peak of human capability (without augmentation). The mistake is thinking that the peak was 6. It was, in fact 9 (or 11 with an Edge) for human Attributes. The real problem was listing the average as 3 ... it should be 4 or even 4.5.

If SR4 has a hard limit on (human) Attributes of 6 (as is hinted at), the I can see some arbitrary means being included t preclude, or at least make it extremely costly for characters to start at that level (without augmentation).
Ellery
Hopefully they'll do something about botching 1/6 of the time when you have a skill of one.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ Apr 18 2005, 06:46 PM)
Hopefully they'll do something about botching 1/6 of the time when you have a skill of one.

Unless they allow an attribute of 0 (unlikely), barring penalities you should never be roling a single die when you have the skill.

P.S. Another good reason to have positive modifiers add dice and negative modifiers subtract successes (or raise the threshhold).
Ellery
Well, in this case, it would be botching 1/6 of the time when you have an attribute of one and no skill. I guess that could be okay--but it would depend on how severe the consequences were for botching. You shouldn't kill yourself 1/6 of the time when trying to open a door with an agility of 1, for example.
FrostyNSO
Hmmmm.

As an example, some of the ways I picture somebody with a body of 1 is in horrible health, they get sick a lot, they don't have a lot of endurance, and they need to be constantly careful not to injure themselves. Biologically, they're fragile, even if the reason they have a low body is because they're fat and overweight. The point is, they're not looking good on the health front.

Now if they're trying to hop a fence, run a sprint, hold their breath, etc...They are putting their body under a lot of stress that it isn't prepared to handle. I've seen guys in RL injure themselves doing things that put their body under stress, and these weren't even guys that have one foot in the grave like somebody with a body of 1 in game terms. If you have an attribute of 1, there is a good chance that something could go terribly wrong.

Got a body of 1? You better take it easy and stick to walking a treadmill for a while before you start having to run from cops.

Got a strength of 1? You wanna hit the weight room? Take it easy because you may end up hurting yourself if you've never worked out before.

etc.....
Ellery
I just have bad visions of Agility 1 people fumbling everything for comic "relief" like Jar-Jar Binks. Hopefully there won't be Gungans in SR.
Critias
We can but hope.
Grinder
Our kill them on sight.

Watched episode one two days ago. What a bad movie, what a bad movie... indifferent.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery)
I just have bad visions of Agility 1 people fumbling everything for comic "relief" like Jar-Jar Binks. Hopefully there won't be Gungans in SR.

Does your GM make you roll an Eating A Frog On A Stick skill check? If so you've got a Jar-Jar Binks senario. But if it is rare to be -forced- into skill rolls, then it's not so bad. I mean who voluntarily makes a Default roll with one die? A very desparate man indeed.
Taki
Yeah ... not realistic at all ...
Whou would keep an attribut of 1 when it is so cheap to increase it with karma wink.gif
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (blakkie)
I mean who voluntarily makes a Default roll with one die?

A roleplayer with intelligence 1, or delusions of adequacy.
blakkie
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Apr 19 2005, 08:26 AM)
I mean who voluntarily makes a Default roll with one die?

A roleplayer with intelligence 1, or delusions of adequacy.

True, the players can subvert the system to channel in the evil of Jar Jar. smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Taki @ Apr 19 2005, 07:38 AM)
Yeah ... not realistic at all ...
Whou would keep an attribut of 1 when it is so cheap to increase it with karma wink.gif

I'm not sure of your intentions, but if it wasn't in an attribute that was used a lot by the character it might get left that way for a while.

EDIT: ...unless you wanted to roleplayer with a Logic of 1 that truely believed "Ignorance is bliss." smile.gif Given that split of Intuition (Perception) from Logic that character might be entirely playable, and not just by "Loonies", depending on GM enforcement of course. Afterall they could be guided by a strong Intuition attribute to make life preserving decisions.
Taki
Has Jar Jar an Edge of 10 ? (due to subsequent racial mod)
NightHaunter
Yep prob.
Based on the fact that the little shit wouldn't die.
Nikoli
Was I alone in hoping Anakin would fire up the engine when its tongue was stuck?
Dawnshadow
Yes.

The rest of us were hoping for even worse fates. I wanted to give him to Darth Maul.
Nikoli
What a crueld and heartless thing to suggest.
Darth Maul didn't do anything deserving of that fate.
Dawnshadow
Darth Maul is Sith, he can derive satisfaction from torturing Jar Jar into an unrecognizable lump of goo. And he doesn't have to feel bad about it, just bathe in disinfectant for a month or ten.
Nikoli
But He doesn't deserve the punishment that is being in the presence (read: same multiverse).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012