Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matrix 2.0, good or bad
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lilt
There's a fair bit of discussion about the loss of 'decks' and, theoretically, decking.

What I've not really seen is a discussion of what the new matrix 2.0 would be like, and wether or not it's a good idea.

As they say it's going to be an augmented reality, is remote access still possible with it? (the overwatch decker) If not, to encourage on-site decking, is that a good thing or is it a bit unrealistic in what's supposed to be primarily a telecommunications network.

Is it going to be possible to project one's senses in a similar manner to astral projection? Are there matrix-free zones and similar, or does everywhere have at-least satelite backup?

Who has access to the Matrix 2.0? Is it anyone with a jack or does it still require some form of extra hardware like a deck (or the cyber equivalent).

I once ran a game with something similar. It went rather well and, although I didn't intentionally make it as an alternative to the matrix, had a system which possibly bore a resemblance to The Matrix 2.0.
[ Spoiler ]
GrinderTheTroll
We really can't attempt to answer any of this without seeing some hard facts about it.

It would all be pure speculation at this point.
Rev
Considering that in sr2&3 only a minority of games included deckers or the matrix in more than a peripheral way it almost can't be worse.

As far as realism it won't make any difference. The 80's cyberspace hacking was always ridiculously unrealistic. Can't really get any further from reality than playing quake against the computer security programs.
mintcar
Another reason it can´t get any worse is that the BBS network in 3D that is the current matrix is in many ways less impressive than internet (or was until the new Matrix sourcebook, now it´s about on par).
blakkie
Bad. The moniker "Matrix 2.0" is just so wrong and confusing.

Sure that isn't what you ment to ask, but I'd like to try help nip it in the bud.
Little Bill
QUOTE (blakkie)

Yeah, wouldn't this be at least Matrix 3.0, since the Matrix as visualized in the original 1st edition worked almost completely differently from the Matrix in Shadowrun 3e?
Edward
In terms of the user interface we only have one frais to work with. “augmented reality”

The term augmented reality could mean one of 2 things (possibly more, I only see 2 ATM).

You have an overlay on your vision that shows the matrix relevance of what you’re seeing, much like thermographic goggles show the temperature of what you’re seeing, cool but takes a little bit of getting used to, try playing Diablo with the map on. Once you’re used to it you wouldn’t have it any other way but to start with it is a pain in the ass.

You have an overlay or window in your field of vision that shows your matrix position while you still view the world around you, you act in both wolds simultaneously. Very hard to work with, Try playing doom and fallout (or any computer games) simultaneously. You will soon find yourself switching your attention between the two and not doing as well at ether.

The first would be fun but not very useful. The matrix is supposed to be a telecommunications medium that allows you to access data or communicate with people all around the world (and in space) but this may will become a kind of holding pattern for your system, when your not doing something else in the matrix you have it show your physical surroundings.

The second option is more useful but it would need a dial for strength of view. Probably a contemn from the user is not actually ware of the matrix to the user is not aware of the meet world (meaning sometimes a hacker will jump all the way in and look much like deckers do in SR3). Whenever doing something difficult or dangerous the hacker will want to focus his full attention on it.

So there you have my useless expansion on two words that I don’t even know that a developer said. Give me a sentence and I should be able to write a book.

Edward
blakkie
QUOTE (Little Bill)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Apr 20 2005, 03:22 PM)

Yeah, wouldn't this be at least Matrix 3.0, since the Matrix as visualized in the original 1st edition worked almost completely differently from the Matrix in Shadowrun 3e?

But then there was the Matrix before the crash of '29. There were some interesting changes that came out of that. So this is really the forth one. Thus "Matrix IV:Redux". smile.gif Ok maybe Matrix 4 or *gag* Matrix 4.0. Oooo, oooo, how about "Hatrix"?! Er, well maybe that isn't an improvement over "Matrix 2.0", more of a push really. grinbig.gif
Nikoli
I see this overlaid reality similair to the nut-job character in Lain, session 05 through 07. the guy walking around talking to the "knights" carrying all manner of 'navi' on his back.
Slacker
QUOTE (Nikoli)
I see this overlaid reality similair to the nut-job character in Lain, session 05 through 07. the guy walking around talking to the "knights" carrying all manner of 'navi' on his back.

That and/or the "gargoyles" from Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.
Rev
My guess is something like the "Neural nanonics" in Peter F Hamilton's 'Nights Dawn' trilogy, though not the parts about controlling your own body with them just the parts about interfacing with machines around you.
Edward
There is more than one season of lain.

Grrr I had enough trouble trying to make sense of the first

I will be most upset if the new matrix parigm dose not allow for efficient remote communication and viewing of entertainment and business material from all over the world. Exchanging data over long distances in rea time is supposed to be the main point of a modern telecommunications system.

Edward
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012