Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Basic mechanic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lantzer
The description of the basic mechanic (with the dice pools and static target number) sounds a lot like the one used in Fireborn (a reawakening-of-magic game where the PCs are awakening dragons -sort of.) My wife owns it, and I've read it, but we've never play-tested it.

The Fireborn system in particular seems to depend heavily on 3 'tricks' to get around the static target number and required # of successes. They are:

1) Automatic extra successes ('hits' in SR4 lingo.) from certain edges.
2) Rerolls for certain types of tests (like SR3 karma) granted by certain edges.
3) The ability to 'borrow' extra dice from other stats. (using skills)

Now, most likely #3 will not apply to SR4, as skills are directly applying extra dice to your test already.

Anybody have any experience with similiar systems? How does skill resolution work out in play?
Phantom Runner

1) Automatic extra successes ('hits' in SR4 lingo.) from certain edges.

I acutally had a thought the other day that this one might be something that gets done. For instance say a Smartlink gives 1 or 2 automatic success before even rolling dice... *shrug*

2) Rerolls for certain types of tests (like SR3 karma) granted by certain edges.

Possible. Perhaps some piece of cyber/bio will give you a chance (once per test) to reroll all or a portion of your failers.

Some other possibilites (borrowing from similar systems):
- If rerolls are allowed then perhaps something like cyber/bio/spell will not only allow for 6's to be rerolled for additional successes, but also for 5's to be rerolled for additional succesess.

- Threasholds for success are apparently in, ie you might need 2, 3, 4+ "hits" in order for your test to be considered successful. It could be possible that cyber/bio/spell of somekind may automatically reduce the number of "hits" needed. Ie drop the threshold down from 4 to 3, then you roll dice. Admittedly this is not really any different from autosuccesses in its net effect, but I thought it should be mentioned.
Catsnightmare
It makes me shudder to think that SR would be played like this.
SpeedFreak
Nothing is for sure yet, but based on the way SR4 is sounding, if you want a good look at how the system runs, check out the World of Darkness games by Whitewolf Games. Realize though, that SR4 will use d6 instead of d10.
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (SpeedFreak)
Nothing is for sure yet, but based on the way SR4 is sounding, if you want a good look at how the system runs, check out the World of Darkness games by Whitewolf Games. Realize though, that SR4 will use d6 instead of d10.

fights urge to beat speadfreak within inch of life......smacks own forehead in frustation instead

pay attention to what people have been saying, that realization has already been made multiple times and i know i have made reference to that and the fact that i dont like it,

walks off leaving a beeping gob of grey goo on speedfreak's shoe

BOOOM

Slash_Thompson
interesting side note: in the event that dice do not explode (or even if they do, in certain cases) probablisticly there is very little difference between using d6 vs 5tn and d10 vs. 7 (yes, yes, 3.33%~ on a given die, in the favor of the pc, assuming perfectly fair polyhedrals) and NO difference what so ever in using d12's vs 9. (d20 vs 13 gives ~65% {1.67%~ difference AGAINST the pc's} ) even with exploding dice, it's possible to model somewhat (d12's explode on 11 and 12 for instance)

so the question becomes: is fixed TN with d6's really still an inherently six-sided game? I don't think so. but others will probably disagree.
Bigity
The answer is no.
Charon
QUOTE (Slash_Thompson @ Apr 21 2005, 09:26 PM)
so the question becomes: is fixed TN with d6's really still an inherently six-sided game? I don't think so. but others will probably disagree.

What's an inherently "six-sided" game?

And what inherent value is there in a D6 system that is not to be found in any other system?

Or, to be blunt, what's the point of your question?
Ellery
If you play it with six-sided dice, then I'd say it's a game played with six-sided dice. This is important if you are wondering if you have enough dice to make gameplay convenient.
RangerJoe
As someone with awful dice luck, it would seem rough if they spun it so that cyber/edges/whatever gave automatic "hits" on tests. Just imagine your StreetSam rolling no "hits" on a pistols test and your PoorHelplessTarget rolling no "hits" on a dodge test, allowing the StreetSam to score automatic "hits" (from a smartlink) and wound the poor breeder. It would seem like "failure is not an option" would be the motto of such a system.
Little Bill
QUOTE (Slash_Thompson)

Um, yes. If it uses just six-siders it is an "inherently six-sided game."
I don't think anyone is going to call it an inherently eight-sided game, for instance.

I'm from the crowd that thought Shadowrun should have used d10s to start with, of course, so the implication that "six-sided=good" is lost on me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012